Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
rhondawarren's Avatar
rhondawarren rhondawarren is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMama View Post
I could have had the entire day today with NO daycare kids, but the parents of the siblings brought their kid even though the sibling was at home sick.

On monday they kept 1 at home with HAND FOOT AND MOUTH and brought the sibling. Of course, the sibling gets sick and now they bring the healthy one and keep the other. I really need a sibling sickness clause, because I am sure that the other kid was a carrier and exposed (obviously since hes sick now). My daycare baby is sick with HFMD too now.

It is my fault for not having a sibling clause and I am mad at myself. I could have had the entire day with just my friends daughter and my youngest, and we could have gone places and done so many fun things.

I made the best of it and the girl who came today is really sweet and I love her. I just am annoyed at myself that I could have had NO daycare kids
Thats to bad. I know how you feel though. I have the one little boy three days a week and the other two I have four days. Well today the two brother and sister arent scheduled but .... I still have the other kid. So here I am today with one daycare kid Because I had to let one of my other families go last week.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
SunshineMama's Avatar
SunshineMama SunshineMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Legally unlicensed state
Posts: 1,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondawarren View Post
Thats to bad. I know how you feel though. I have the one little boy three days a week and the other two I have four days. Well today the two brother and sister arent scheduled but .... I still have the other kid. So here I am today with one daycare kid Because I had to let one of my other families go last week.
I did have fun since I had only girls today and we did girly sparkly fun stuff, but I would much rather have not had the dcg and just my own and my bff's child. Oh well...
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:27 PM
sahm2three's Avatar
sahm2three sahm2three is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,113
Default

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo wish I could somehow have you hear this baby scream. You would not believe it. I can't imagine living with this child!!! My own son was colicky, bad, and either I am blocking it out, or this child gives new meaning to unhappy. WOW!
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
rhondawarren's Avatar
rhondawarren rhondawarren is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2three View Post
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo wish I could somehow have you hear this baby scream. You would not believe it. I can't imagine living with this child!!! My own son was colicky, bad, and either I am blocking it out, or this child gives new meaning to unhappy. WOW!

That reminds me of when I first started watching my PTer. He was 2 and he had never stayed with anyone else in his life. So he literally stood by the door the first couple of days I watched him and screamed Im going home now okay, Im going home now okay over and over for like 10 hours straight. I seriously thought I was going to have to call his mom because I was about to go insane lol. But .... we stuck it out and he now tells them to leave so he can play He eventually got use to it

I know this has nothing to do with a colicky baby but .... it reminded me of the insanity of that day
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Springdaze's Avatar
Springdaze Springdaze is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Default

So former fulltimer, now drop in every few weeks comes today. "Oh, did you get my message?" um, nope. "oh, she needs some structure, and practice writing her name." ok, I'll work on that the 4 times a month she's here!
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 AM
rhondawarren's Avatar
rhondawarren rhondawarren is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellenj View Post
So former fulltimer, now drop in every few weeks comes today. "Oh, did you get my message?" um, nope. "oh, she needs some structure, and practice writing her name." ok, I'll work on that the 4 times a month she's here!
I had an interview with a lady a couple of months ago that had two boys. One I was to watch all day and the other I was suppose to only have after school. Well she wanted to pay me $100/Wk to watch both. She wanted them to eat a specific organic diet & she wanted me to have the oldest schoolwork done with him plus 30 minutes with him before she picked them up. I was thinking ....... Yeah ok. Needless to say .... they arent here
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 AM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondawarren View Post
I had an interview with a lady a couple of months ago that had two boys. One I was to watch all day and the other I was suppose to only have after school. Well she wanted to pay me $100/Wk to watch both. She wanted them to eat a specific organic diet & she wanted me to have the oldest schoolwork done with him plus 30 minutes with him before she picked them up. I was thinking ....... Yeah ok. Needless to say .... they arent here
What in the world is she thinking?????
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 AM
rhondawarren's Avatar
rhondawarren rhondawarren is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2girls View Post
What in the world is she thinking?????

I was thinking okay .... yeah right =)

I dont mind feeding them something different if their parents want to pack them a lunch (which I prefer they all eat together and the same thing because that eliminates well why does he have this). But the whole I need to have his schoolwork done before she gets home from work, I was thinking hahaHuhhahaha!!!

I homeschool my kids too and its tough enough for me to do their schoolwork with them throughout the day. I do reading with the children and educational things like flash cards and stuff for their letters. But to sit down and do an older childs homework with him so she wont have to mess with it when she got off of work .... is not my job.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
saved4always's Avatar
saved4always saved4always is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondawarren View Post
I was thinking okay .... yeah right =)

I dont mind feeding them something different if their parents want to pack them a lunch (which I prefer they all eat together and the same thing because that eliminates well why does he have this). But the whole I need to have his schoolwork done before she gets home from work, I was thinking hahaHuhhahaha!!!

I homeschool my kids too and its tough enough for me to do their schoolwork with them throughout the day. I do reading with the children and educational things like flash cards and stuff for their letters. But to sit down and do an older childs homework with him so she wont have to mess with it when she got off of work .... is not my job.
That is exactly what she wanted you to do so she wouldn't have to spend any time being mommy when she got home. Now, if she wanted to actually PAY YOU what it is worth to do the homework with him is one thing.... but the fact that she wanted you to do it basically for free. I just don't get some people. Why have children if they don't want any of the responsibility that goes with being a parent. I need a "shaking my head in disbelief" icon.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 AM
hoopinglady's Avatar
hoopinglady hoopinglady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 248
Default finally

Finally grew my backbone to implement a very small pay increase (which still puts me well within a very reasonable/low rate). I pushed my hours up to close at 430 since I knew all of my current parents are available to pick up by 4.

I offered a higher rate for extended hours should they choose to do that but I made it fairly steep.

Zero cooperation. I agonized over this for many months and did what I thought was the fairest possible thing. I'd wanted to increase the rate much more but thought a smaller increase would be more fair.

I was met with rudeness and zero cooperation. ONe family quit after 3 years of service but told me it had nothing to do with the new contract.

I'd seen the pissed off dcm speaking in the road with the one who later that day, quit for 30 minutes before day care.

I'm devestated and very stressed.

I hope the best will come of this and bring me some appreciative families but oh man, this is rough.

It must be me. I refuse to believe people are that nasty and petty.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 5,767
Default

Ahhhh, my Monday morning rant.

After getting up at 4:30 AM for several weeks for DCD not to show up until 5:15 - 5:30, I had a talk with Dad last week. Transportation changed so he'll be coming at 5:15 from now on. Ok, so this morning, I woke up at 4:45, but stayed in bed until 5.

They show up at 5:30, but Dad has to run to the bank because he only has 1/2 of my pay. He says, he'll be back in 5 mins. I should have just told him to bring it tonight, no big deal. He comes back 20 mins later, gives me my money.

I turn all the lights off and come in here to record it before heading up to take a shower. DCD knocks on the door. He had left the car running and the driver's door open. The door shut and locked. He's parked behind both mine and my daughter's cars. He asks if I can run him home to get his spare keys. Ummm, no, you're parked behind my car and your child is asleep.

I ended up waking up my sil so he could drive him home to get his spare keys. DD can't leave for work because he's parked behind her car.

On top of all of this, DCD isn't feeling well.

I lost 1 1/2 hrs sleep this morning and my new baby starts full time today.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopinglady View Post
Finally grew my backbone to implement a very small pay increase (which still puts me well within a very reasonable/low rate). I pushed my hours up to close at 430 since I knew all of my current parents are available to pick up by 4.

I offered a higher rate for extended hours should they choose to do that but I made it fairly steep.

Zero cooperation. I agonized over this for many months and did what I thought was the fairest possible thing. I'd wanted to increase the rate much more but thought a smaller increase would be more fair.

I was met with rudeness and zero cooperation. ONe family quit after 3 years of service but told me it had nothing to do with the new contract.

I'd seen the pissed off dcm speaking in the road with the one who later that day, quit for 30 minutes before day care.

I'm devestated and very stressed.

I hope the best will come of this and bring me some appreciative families but oh man, this is rough.

It must be me. I refuse to believe people are that nasty and petty.
I'm been thinking about you lately and glad to see you posting even though its a vent-.

Did you lose two familys or just 1? I'm so sorry this is happening. That is what always worries me about raising rates. I was actually thinking of doing a straight across the board rate but not sure how my parents would react. Thats the thing about childcare they can leave in a minute!
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
hoopinglady's Avatar
hoopinglady hoopinglady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
I'm been thinking about you lately and glad to see you posting even though its a vent-.

Did you lose two familys or just 1? I'm so sorry this is happening. That is what always worries me about raising rates. I was actually thinking of doing a straight across the board rate but not sure how my parents would react. Thats the thing about childcare they can leave in a minute!
Aww, thanks. I've been busy. The past few months I've put a ton of time and money into improving the program. It's beautiful (to me) but I guess the parents didn't notice.

I lost one, claiming free daycare through her mother..she'd said she would give me one week's notice but texted me in BED last night to say she'd reconsidered!!! AFter three years of childcare I'm not worthy of the consideration of one week's notice.

The other woman is being so rude that even if she doesn't quit, I will term her ASAP to avoid future resentment.

It's terrible. And still, you'd have to go the ghetto to get a cheaper rate, seriously.

Deep down, I think this could be a positive fresh start but right now I'm so tired of trying! What a kick in the head, ya know??

Lesson learned, I suppose. I don't expect recognition or gratitude or appreciation, just money thank you very much.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopinglady View Post
Aww, thanks. I've been busy. The past few months I've put a ton of time and money into improving the program. It's beautiful (to me) but I guess the parents didn't notice.

I lost one, claiming free daycare through her mother..she'd said she would give me one week's notice but texted me in BED last night to say she'd reconsidered!!! AFter three years of childcare I'm not worthy of the consideration of one week's notice.

The other woman is being so rude that even if she doesn't quit, I will term her ASAP to avoid future resentment.

It's terrible. And still, you'd have to go the ghetto to get a cheaper rate, seriously.

Deep down, I think this could be a positive fresh start but right now I'm so tired of trying! What a kick in the head, ya know??

Lesson learned, I suppose. I don't expect recognition or gratitude or appreciation, just money thank you very much.
Many prayers coming your way. I believe you will get better quality in terms of the families you have!
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2three View Post
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo wish I could somehow have you hear this baby scream. You would not believe it. I can't imagine living with this child!!! My own son was colicky, bad, and either I am blocking it out, or this child gives new meaning to unhappy. WOW!
They get about three days to chill with that or I have to say no way.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

UGH! Today is just one of those days where nothing has gone right.

I dropped a dish on the floor during nap time, waking up the baby.

The baby spit up almost an entire bottle ALL over my shirt and their outfit, literally three minutes before pickup.

I finally decided to go ahead and install updates on my computer, but it overheated and shut down in the middle of it - AFTER 35 minutes of updating, but before it was done. Now I have to start over.

My vacuum cut off and won't turn back on, even though there appears to be nothing wrong - in the middle of vacuuming the carpet that needed it the most. It worked fine on the ones that didn't really need it.

I forgot that my oldest had an afterschool event today and panicked when he didn't get off the bus. After several phone calls to the neighbors and the school, I finally figured it out and felt stupid.

None of this is major, but all together in one day...VERY annoying!!!
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
athomemommy's Avatar
athomemommy athomemommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 125
Default

I have never read this thread before. I think I will be coming back. I feel like my kids are out of control and I am losing it and all alone on this. Then I started reading we all have days like this. Thank goodness. Keep posting it makes my day feel better At least we have each other when they seem like they are out to get us!
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
DCBlessings27's Avatar
DCBlessings27 DCBlessings27 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 332
Default Horrible...No Good...Bad Day

The kids aren't listening to anything I say. They have spilled milk, water, whole plates of food today all over the floor. Now, I have pee all over my carpet and have to do laundry bc a 3yo pottied all over my carpet and blankets at the end of naptime. Then placed her dirty, wet clothes on top of a clean basket of clothes. She shouldn't be coming in panties when she can't even stay dry at home. I need to go to bed and start again. Even better is the fact that we hit something on Saturday and had to buy a new tire for my husband's truck today--$220 (and that was at a discount.) We just bought the tires for the truck just over a year ago.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 PM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default

I feel almost bad complaining. No one has been sick, everyone pays on time, drop offs/pick ups are always on time. I know I've got it good here.

But 7 yo dcb is driving me nuts!!!! He has been picking fights with everyone today. He is behaving as if he doesn't know the rules. He actually looked surprised when I told him to be quiet because the 2 yo was napping. Complains about everything. Then he just asked me for a snack. Ummm nope. Snacktime is in 30 minutes, buddy. Techincally, I don't have to give you a snack because your mom is coming in one hour to pick you up. That is still within the 3 hour window after lunch!!! Maybe if you had eaten all of your lunch you wouldn't be hungry so soon. Ugggghhhh. He and my odd fight for top dog position in my house, he's only happy if he is playing video games or is in charge of what all the other kids play with. He's lucky I love his little brother. Brother was a toughy when he started here, but I put so much work in with him that now he is a joy to have.

He goes back to school next week, but summer is just around the corner.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 5,767
Default

Why the H#&& does the phone ring the very second I get my non sleeping 5 mo to sleep?????????
Reply With Quote
  #321  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Springdaze's Avatar
Springdaze Springdaze is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Default off topic vent, but still..

Sunday is my babys 6th bday. I sent out invites 2 weeks ago because last week was spring break and I figured nothing gets openned during that time! I was going to have it at home, but after I sent invites DH said 'I'll pay, I dont want it at the house!" so I booked a place. out of 8 boys in his class, 2 have rsvp'd. why do people not rsvp anymore? now I have to send a note to his school for each kid to tell them that the place has been changed so they dont end up at my house.

to add to it, my kids dont seem to be invited to parties. my daughter has been to 3 parties in 4 years and my son didnt get invited to any! I really dont care, and even asked other kindy parents and the said their kids have been to many this year. I said mine hadnt and they said "well, you should say something!" To who, I dont know? I figure if I make a big deal, my kids will notice so it doesnt bother me, I just think its weird. I invite all of the same gender to each kids party. I want to teach my kids that they shouldnt leave anyone out because it usually ends up being all invited but one!
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 AM
MrsB's Avatar
MrsB MrsB is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellenj View Post
Sunday is my babys 6th bday. I sent out invites 2 weeks ago because last week was spring break and I figured nothing gets openned during that time! I was going to have it at home, but after I sent invites DH said 'I'll pay, I dont want it at the house!" so I booked a place. out of 8 boys in his class, 2 have rsvp'd. why do people not rsvp anymore? now I have to send a note to his school for each kid to tell them that the place has been changed so they dont end up at my house.

to add to it, my kids dont seem to be invited to parties. my daughter has been to 3 parties in 4 years and my son didnt get invited to any! I really dont care, and even asked other kindy parents and the said their kids have been to many this year. I said mine hadnt and they said "well, you should say something!" To who, I dont know? I figure if I make a big deal, my kids will notice so it doesnt bother me, I just think its weird. I invite all of the same gender to each kids party. I want to teach my kids that they shouldnt leave anyone out because it usually ends up being all invited but one!
Ahhh I sorry chellenj. My kids started not getting invited much to parties either, I mentioned it to one of my sons teachers and they said, they made the rule that they will not pass out party invitations unless all the kids get one. NO WAY will I invite 36 Kindergartners anywhere! and the one time I would do it and calculate that less than half would attend, they all would show up! I know alot of people that are aweful about RSVPing. I have been putting my cell and email on my kids invitations and say that sending a text or email is the preferred RSVP method. Seems to get more response than a phone call.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Springdaze's Avatar
Springdaze Springdaze is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Default

I put email and #... I dont mind inviting all of the gender that each of my kids are, as it ends up being like 8. ALWAYS have a prob with the rsvps. you have to prepare as if all are coming, and sometimes I even get "oh, this is so and so's cousin that was visiting, is it ok if I brought them too?" thats happened twice! yea, give me a minute while I run to party city and get more goody bags!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
blueclouds29's Avatar
blueclouds29 blueclouds29 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MO
Posts: 347
Default not swallowing food

My 1yr old DCB just started a new thing and its driving me nuts! He will keep food in his mouth and now swallow it! It happens every morning with the cheese stick his mom sends with him. He never eats the whole thing just sucks on and chews the peices like gum for about 20 min!!
At lunch, the last bite he kept in his mouth for over 20 min! I counted to 3, three times... nothing.. finally went on putting the other kids down to sleep and he walks in 'all done with my food'. Ughhh Pisses me off but i'm glad I kept my cool and i guess it paid off just to let him sit by himself till he swallowed it.

side note: I'm telling mom today, please no more cheese stick, its a waste
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

I am just done today- throwing in the towel. I can't win

DCG won't keep clothes on

ALL of DCK are coughing, sneezing & snotting all over.

I have a headache

They are all fussy & won't listen

My house smells like baby poop

and top it off- my washer just broke

just another day in my life

vent over. moving on.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
KDC's Avatar
KDC KDC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 555
Default My Vent for today...

I have a DCF that has always been pretty nice, but recently they've been pushing the limits with maximum time (7am to 5:30pm, M-F). They asked to come early twice last week & also asked for late nights twice last week. They've also been pushing me with sicknesses (Not excluding child for sickness, green free flowing boogers, coughing, low energy. I would send him home, only to have him return first thing next morning... often in worse shape. She said she took him to urgent care, and he was diagnosed with an ear infection and bronchitis (but the lungs are clear?) - I asked for a Dr.s note and I got one. Apparently, it was a virus that started it --The whole daycare and my whole family got sick.

So this past weekend I was supposed to visit my sick Aunt, but couldn't because of the sickness going around, I didn't want to expose her to any germs. Well, Monday morning I got the news that she had passed. I am so very sad, as we were close.

I sent an e-mail immediately stating I would need kiddos picked up by 4 on Thursday for the wake and Friday I would be closed to attend the funeral. DCM: "What am I supposed to do?" ME: This is a family daycare, unfortunately you will have to find a back-up. This is mentioned in the contract, and there is a phone number I gave for emergency back-ups. DCM" Humph"... stomp off huffy. (BTW, because I need the day off, it is unpaid)

Really? I lost someone very close to me, you're going on your second week long family vacation in 6 months in early May... maybe you should have saved some days for an EMERGENCY? I didn't even get to say goodbye because you kept sending your sick kid to my house. The correct response is: "I'm so sorry for your loss"... Jerk.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDC View Post
I have a DCF that has always been pretty nice, but recently they've been pushing the limits with maximum time (7am to 5:30pm, M-F). They asked to come early twice last week & also asked for late nights twice last week. They've also been pushing me with sicknesses (Not excluding child for sickness, green free flowing boogers, coughing, low energy. I would send him home, only to have him return first thing next morning... often in worse shape. She said she took him to urgent care, and he was diagnosed with an ear infection and bronchitis (but the lungs are clear?) - I asked for a Dr.s note and I got one. Apparently, it was a virus that started it --The whole daycare and my whole family got sick.

So this past weekend I was supposed to visit my sick Aunt, but couldn't because of the sickness going around, I didn't want to expose her to any germs. Well, Monday morning I got the news that she had passed. I am so very sad, as we were close.

I sent an e-mail immediately stating I would need kiddos picked up by 4 on Thursday for the wake and Friday I would be closed to attend the funeral. DCM: "What am I supposed to do?" ME: This is a family daycare, unfortunately you will have to find a back-up. This is mentioned in the contract, and there is a phone number I gave for emergency back-ups. DCM" Humph"... stomp off huffy. (BTW, because I need the day off, it is unpaid)

Really? I lost someone very close to me, you're going on your second week long family vacation in 6 months in early May... maybe you should have saved some days for an EMERGENCY? I didn't even get to say goodbye because you kept sending your sick kid to my house. The correct response is: "I'm so sorry for your loss"... Jerk.
(((hugs))) so sorry for your loss.

I am also sorry that your DCM is so uncaring. NOT your problem for her to find back up. I would say something to her, atleast comment to her about her uncaring attitude. I mean you can't necessarily change her, but I would definitley call her out on her disrespect. If anything just to make yourself feel better.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default why why?

Two brothers I care for have been sick. The oldest one didn't come Monday because he had fever on Sunday. I thought this is good they are following the 24 hour rule. Brought the younger one but I can deal with that. Younger one seemed fine but I had to wake him from nap and didn't eat snack. He is always a big eater, so you guessed it he threw up that night at home. So tuesday older one comes and younger one stays with mom. But does she stay home with him and let him rest... no she takes him to the mall, he's 2, they went shopping and ate bagels. Fast forward to today he has been complaining all morning of his belly hurting and ate nothing. I text mom to give her a heads up. She texts back.. I hope he can hang in there til friday. OMG give me a break his little body needs to be at home resting and recovering not being dragged to the mall when he isn't feeling well. Bring him to me so that I have to try to console him and worry about what he is going to throw up on as I take care of all the other kids I care for. Sorry so long, venting does make me feel a little better. This family has just changed since I took them on two years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDC View Post
I have a DCF that has always been pretty nice, but recently they've been pushing the limits with maximum time (7am to 5:30pm, M-F). They asked to come early twice last week & also asked for late nights twice last week. They've also been pushing me with sicknesses (Not excluding child for sickness, green free flowing boogers, coughing, low energy. I would send him home, only to have him return first thing next morning... often in worse shape. She said she took him to urgent care, and he was diagnosed with an ear infection and bronchitis (but the lungs are clear?) - I asked for a Dr.s note and I got one. Apparently, it was a virus that started it --The whole daycare and my whole family got sick.

So this past weekend I was supposed to visit my sick Aunt, but couldn't because of the sickness going around, I didn't want to expose her to any germs. Well, Monday morning I got the news that she had passed. I am so very sad, as we were close.

I sent an e-mail immediately stating I would need kiddos picked up by 4 on Thursday for the wake and Friday I would be closed to attend the funeral. DCM: "What am I supposed to do?" ME: This is a family daycare, unfortunately you will have to find a back-up. This is mentioned in the contract, and there is a phone number I gave for emergency back-ups. DCM" Humph"... stomp off huffy. (BTW, because I need the day off, it is unpaid)

Really? I lost someone very close to me, you're going on your second week long family vacation in 6 months in early May... maybe you should have saved some days for an EMERGENCY? I didn't even get to say goodbye because you kept sending your sick kid to my house. The correct response is: "I'm so sorry for your loss"... Jerk.
I'm sorry for your loss & sorry your DCM responded that way! I agree with Blackcat - I would totally say something. Hugs to you!
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 AM
rhondawarren's Avatar
rhondawarren rhondawarren is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 270
Default

A lady text me late last night asking about my rates. She said that she is starting a new job on Monday and would need a sitter for M-F 5:30am to 5pm for her 2 year old son.

My normal hours are 7:30am to 5:30p. I quoted her a price at a little higher than my normal rate since Id be getting up at 4:30am to be ready for them to arrive at 5:30am. She texts me back and says "Thats ok I have two other ladies that will do it for $75/Wk". So I text her back and said Good Luck. No way Id do it for $75/Wk. Best of luck with the new job.

What did she want me to babysit him for free??? I mean really almost 60 hours a week of childcare, feeding the child all day long, getting up in the middle of the night to do it and she wanted me to do it for less than $75 a week. No thanks! Next ............... I mean get real!

People amaze me!
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 AM
saved4always's Avatar
saved4always saved4always is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondawarren View Post
A lady text me late last night asking about my rates. She said that she is starting a new job on Monday and would need a sitter for M-F 5:30am to 5pm for her 2 year old son.

My normal hours are 7:30am to 5:30p. I quoted her a price at a little higher than my normal rate since Id be getting up at 4:30am to be ready for them to arrive at 5:30am. She texts me back and says "Thats ok I have two other ladies that will do it for $75/Wk". So I text her back and said Good Luck. No way Id do it for $75/Wk. Best of luck with the new job.

What did she want me to babysit him for free??? I mean really almost 60 hours a week of childcare, feeding the child all day long, getting up in the middle of the night to do it and she wanted me to do it for less than $75 a week. No thanks! Next ............... I mean get real!

People amaze me!
Sometimes I think people think we should do it for cheap because we are "home anyways". Those hours are nuts to begin with and then to want it for next to nothing! Gotta wonder what kind of providers those ladies will be for next to free!
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM
rhondawarren's Avatar
rhondawarren rhondawarren is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved4always View Post
Sometimes I think people think we should do it for cheap because we are "home anyways". Those hours are nuts to begin with and then to want it for next to nothing! Gotta wonder what kind of providers those ladies will be for next to free!
Yeah I know. I dont see how people do that for that low of a rate when we only have a certain number of spots available. Not to mentian feeding them etc. She probably made it up because I do not know anyone that would do that for that low.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 AM
saved4always's Avatar
saved4always saved4always is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondawarren View Post
Yeah I know. I dont see how people do that for that low of a rate when we only have a certain number of spots available. Not to mentian feeding them etc. She probably made it up because I do not know anyone that would do that for that low.
Could be that these providers have a ton of kids so they can charge so little. I know there are some in my area that charge less way than me but have so many kids that I don't know why a parent would be comfortable with it. I suspect they may be illegally over on numbers, too.
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM
rhondawarren's Avatar
rhondawarren rhondawarren is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved4always View Post
Could be that these providers have a ton of kids so they can charge so little. I know there are some in my area that charge less way than me but have so many kids that I don't know why a parent would be comfortable with it. I suspect they may be illegally over on numbers, too.
Could be. I wonder what is more important to some parents when the price is the main concern. I think Id be looking more at the type of care they would receive. But some parents ... the cheaper the better they could care less about what kind of care you provide or how many other children you will be watching. Honestly, parents like that are nothing but trouble anyways so more power to her.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default

Having a hard time balancing it all today. We are all tired, vacation coming soon, but not soon enough!!!
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Sometimes even the best families can do something to make you burning mad.

My oldest is going on his first overnight camping trip without us. DH couldn't get off work in time to take him to meet his group, so I volunteered, because I'm usually done by 4:30.

Just got a text from DCM that they'll be 15 minutes late.

On the ONE day this whole year that I absolutely can NOT stay late!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
GretasLittleFriends GretasLittleFriends is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Sometimes even the best families can do something to make you burning mad.

My oldest is going on his first overnight camping trip without us. DH couldn't get off work in time to take him to meet his group, so I volunteered, because I'm usually done by 4:30.

Just got a text from DCM that they'll be 15 minutes late.

On the ONE day this whole year that I absolutely can NOT stay late!!!!!!
Could you take the child with you while you drop your son off, and have the mom meet you there?
__________________
Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Two brothers I care for have been sick. The oldest one didn't come Monday because he had fever on Sunday. I thought this is good they are following the 24 hour rule. Brought the younger one but I can deal with that. Younger one seemed fine but I had to wake him from nap and didn't eat snack. He is always a big eater, so you guessed it he threw up that night at home. So tuesday older one comes and younger one stays with mom. But does she stay home with him and let him rest... no she takes him to the mall, he's 2, they went shopping and ate bagels. Fast forward to today he has been complaining all morning of his belly hurting and ate nothing. I text mom to give her a heads up. She texts back.. I hope he can hang in there til friday. OMG give me a break his little body needs to be at home resting and recovering not being dragged to the mall when he isn't feeling well. Bring him to me so that I have to try to console him and worry about what he is going to throw up on as I take care of all the other kids I care for. Sorry so long, venting does make me feel a little better. This family has just changed since I took them on two years ago.
I totally put a sibling clause in my contract, for this same reaason. This yr. I and my children were sick from a sibling coming in, when Mom was sitting at home with other child sick. She then got called in both situations to come and pick up other child.
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Normally, I'm fine with crying. I see it as a natural expression of overwhelming emotion, especially emotion one does not know how to cope with.

This dcg, however, takes it to a WHOLE new level.

Good grief, child...get OVER it. She wanted to look at dcb's feet. Dcb, naturally, was not happy about this. He was telling her to stop and she was getting upset because she wanted to look at his feet...so I intervened for dcb and got dcg to stop.

She's now collapsed on the floor in the throes of deepest heartbreak. This is a daily occurrence, mind you, and for a variety of reasons, but really, child?

YOU HAVE TO RESPECT HIS WORDS. ESPECIALLY ABOUT HIS OWN BODY!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM
jen2651's Avatar
jen2651 jen2651 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 230
Default

Just had my licensor come. Everything was good except for one of my parent evals...stupid! My husband was right. Young mother blah blah blah. I worked around her schedule etc etc etc. And then she just up and quits right after we resigned her for full time (was part time before). WE worked out the 2 weeks notice (cause I know she doesn't have and $) to be 1 week (which he didn't come). She said that she thought i didn't feed her son, and I didn't change his diapers and used his diapers for other kids. Um...no. I am so mad she better hope I don't run into her around town! Not that I would really do anything but I will fantasize about keying her car or something!
Reply With Quote
  #341  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:26 AM
3girls's Avatar
3girls 3girls is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: In the kitchen ;)
Posts: 86
Default

Ugh so last time a family showed up early and I was not downstairs and ready, today I got up early in case it happened again and now they are 15 minutes late and counting! Grrrr...
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM
weedlio's Avatar
weedlio weedlio is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4
Default

I am so glad I found this forum! My husband is gettting sick of my complaining, but I need to vent! I only recently started this daycare, watching 3 siblings, plus my own 2. Today, I put the one year old for his nap, while the 2, 3, 4, and 5 year old cleaned up toys. Well, this lead to screaming and they woke up the baby after his only being down for 45 minutes! Now he is talking and rocking the playpen and I am going to have to get him up and turn off the big kids' movie. Nap/movie time is my time! I really needed it today!
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default

Dcb 5 yo asked for help with unbuttoning his pants when he went to the bathroom. I did and noticed he did not have any underwear on!!! He also is not wearing socks under his vinyl boots in 80 degree weather! Mom and I are going to have a talk about this. I know he likes to dress himself, but really???
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Springdaze's Avatar
Springdaze Springdaze is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Default

The lady who's kids my husband kicked out 6 weeks ago is calling me because I reported her to the state for not paying her copay. they finally sent me something saying they were going to end her subsity as of may 3rd because she didnt pay me. Her son goes to aftercare at school and her 2 kids that I watched still need the subsity. I dont know what she expects me to say to her! she told me she would pay it and its been 6 weeks, so now what, she is going to cry to me and say she will pay me?! I really dont want to hear it!
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

If I have this conversation ONE MORE time today, I am going to go BANANAS:

Me to dck: "Hey, that's not a good choice, we don't do that here."
dck: "But I was just [doing what I'm telling them not to do]!"
Me: "That is NOT okay. We are NOT doing it."
dck: "But I'm just [doing what I'm saying not to]!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Kiki's Avatar
Kiki Kiki is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
If I have this conversation ONE MORE time today, I am going to go BANANAS:

Me to dck: "Hey, that's not a good choice, we don't do that here."
dck: "But I was just [doing what I'm telling them not to do]!"
Me: "That is NOT okay. We are NOT doing it."
dck: "But I'm just [doing what I'm saying not to]!!!"



I go through this with my oldest dck every single day. 500 times a day. Then once when he's leaving.
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Bookworm's Avatar
Bookworm Bookworm is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 859
Default

If I hear my name just one more time from a child that I have given the final word to, I will SCREAM.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM
angelicpretty's Avatar
angelicpretty angelicpretty is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 19
Default

I'M VENTING about parents who dragggggggggg out their pick up time! I timed this Mom today at 20 MINUTES! Take your child, pack up their things, and go! She doesn't know how to instruct him to stop playing/doing whatever and pack up so she just stands there asking him over and over!

I work in a school age center, and my policy is that when a parent is present and has signed their child out, their child is now officially theirs and I no longer am responsible for going over to them and saying "It's time to go." At the same time, it can lead to some really annoying and long pick ups!
UGHHHHHHH.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopinglady View Post
Finally grew my backbone to implement a very small pay increase (which still puts me well within a very reasonable/low rate). I pushed my hours up to close at 430 since I knew all of my current parents are available to pick up by 4.

I offered a higher rate for extended hours should they choose to do that but I made it fairly steep.

Zero cooperation. I agonized over this for many months and did what I thought was the fairest possible thing. I'd wanted to increase the rate much more but thought a smaller increase would be more fair.

I was met with rudeness and zero cooperation. ONe family quit after 3 years of service but told me it had nothing to do with the new contract.

I'd seen the pissed off dcm speaking in the road with the one who later that day, quit for 30 minutes before day care.

I'm devestated and very stressed.

I hope the best will come of this and bring me some appreciative families but oh man, this is rough.

It must be me. I refuse to believe people are that nasty and petty.
If you weren't in another state, I would think I might know that family. A friend referred a friend whose child is 3 because current dcp is raising the rates. They can't afford the increase. Waiting on call. I think I'm priced pretty fair for my area so I don't even know if we'll be a good match.

I'm guessing this happens all over families switching providers after a rate increase.
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

My normally super happy dc baby is super crabby today. Isn't happy on the floor, in the saucer, in the bouncer, with any of the toys, and fought nap for 40 minutes - then woke up every 15 minutes crying. Now they're awake and crying again for absolutely no reason - they've been fed, changed, burped, no fever, no swollen gums that I can see....

UGH! So frustrating!
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 AM
nothingwithoutjoy's Avatar
nothingwithoutjoy nothingwithoutjoy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New England
Posts: 1,027
Default avoid being left in the lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
I was actually thinking of doing a straight across the board rate but not sure how my parents would react. Thats the thing about childcare they can leave in a minute!
Raising rates is so tricky! I haven't done it yet, in 6 years. I did, however, shave off 1/2 an hour from my day, and stop serving breakfast, which was a subtle way of earning more.

I charge parents a two-week security deposit at the beginning of care. That way, if they decide to leave without my two-weeks required notice, I've still been paid.
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
angelicpretty's Avatar
angelicpretty angelicpretty is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 19
Default

I'm manage a school age corporate center and I heard this from a Dad as he was picking up his son today. (Dad thought I was busy at the computer and wasn't listening. Well I was.)

(I had asked the boy to clean up a game before he left. It's a game where the pieces fit into specific slots in the box.)

Dad: "Women like to wear pants that make their butts too big and they think they run the show, but you don't have to listen to them. Life lesson for the day. Just throw the pieces in the box and let's go."


WOW! I just stared in disbelief as they walked out. My jaw hit the floor on that one! I cannot believe he is raising his son like that and I fear for how he will treat women in his future.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
temom's Avatar
temom temom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto. Canada
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicpretty View Post
I'm manage a school age corporate center and I heard this from a Dad as he was picking up his son today. (Dad thought I was busy at the computer and wasn't listening. Well I was.)

(I had asked the boy to clean up a game before he left. It's a game where the pieces fit into specific slots in the box.)

Dad: "Women like to wear pants that make their butts too big and they think they run the show, but you don't have to listen to them. Life lesson for the day. Just throw the pieces in the box and let's go."

WOW! I just stared in disbelief as they walked out. My jaw hit the floor on that one! I cannot believe he is raising his son like that and I fear for how he will treat women in his future.
sigh!!! i hope for the kid's sake that he is a mama's boy
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Kiki's Avatar
Kiki Kiki is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicpretty View Post
I'm manage a school age corporate center and I heard this from a Dad as he was picking up his son today. (Dad thought I was busy at the computer and wasn't listening. Well I was.)

(I had asked the boy to clean up a game before he left. It's a game where the pieces fit into specific slots in the box.)

Dad: "Women like to wear pants that make their butts too big and they think they run the show, but you don't have to listen to them. Life lesson for the day. Just throw the pieces in the box and let's go."


WOW! I just stared in disbelief as they walked out. My jaw hit the floor on that one! I cannot believe he is raising his son like that and I fear for how he will treat women in his future.
Yea..that about sums it up. I hope that went in one ear and right back out the other!
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 AM
saved4always's Avatar
saved4always saved4always is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicpretty View Post
I'm manage a school age corporate center and I heard this from a Dad as he was picking up his son today. (Dad thought I was busy at the computer and wasn't listening. Well I was.)

(I had asked the boy to clean up a game before he left. It's a game where the pieces fit into specific slots in the box.)

Dad: "Women like to wear pants that make their butts too big and they think they run the show, but you don't have to listen to them. Life lesson for the day. Just throw the pieces in the box and let's go."


WOW! I just stared in disbelief as they walked out. My jaw hit the floor on that one! I cannot believe he is raising his son like that and I fear for how he will treat women in his future.
Wow. Way to teach his son to respect women. I am with the pp who said they hope he is mama's boy. That's the only way he has any chance of growing up to be a decent man.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
LindaatChildsplaymn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Potty Problems

Hi there,
I am new to this forum but sooooo need to vent about potty training. I am frustrated at the age (and now mine is showing) that children are expected to be potty trained! 3!?! 4!?! For as many years as it has been tracked ... like hundreds ... children have been basically toilet trained by 2 yrs. old ... until 2002 ... (Is that when "Pull-Ups" became popular?) Any way none of us are emotionally scarred by being able to pee/poop in a pot by the time we were two!!!
For 4 years I have had a childcare in my home the kids were trained before they turned 3 yo. But now I have 2 kids that are pushing 4 yo they no longer fit on a changing table! Parent participation is intermittent at best ... too busy ... too stressed ... too whatever. I have always said jokingly "Trained by 4 or out the door" ... So yesterday a 3 1/2 yo boy I care for sat on the pot crying ... I said why are you crying ... I don't wanna poop (no he's not constipated). So I said oh silly boy, everybody goes potty you don't need to cry, just push it out quickly and be all done, just like dad and mom etc. 5 min later he has poop smeared all over both hands, both legs and most of the toilet seat. We cleaned him up and everything up. Later on he's on the toilet again ... some poop already in pants and when I put him on the pot his hands went right in between his legs and off the cuff I stupidly say, (again my generation showing), "Do you know what a spanking is?? Because that's what happens when we play and make a big mess with our poop". I of course don't spank ever, I just wanted to make an impression on him. Well the results were mixed ... A. He pooped in the toilet ... no half hour wait, no crying! B. He told his folks I was going to spank him ... UGH PROBLEM!!! This morning I end up apologizing to him and his mom and feeling really stupid! Thing is I am still pissed off that people don't train their kids ... pissed off that when the "Pull-Ups" are pulled down that adult size, smelly poop is spilled all over the floor, still pissed off that is deemed better, convenient and more efficient to put your child in a diaper to go to the MALL ... ok honey just piss and crap all over yourself ... mommy wants to shop uninterrupted!!!!!! I honestly think it is neglectful to not train your child and expect others to do this for you. ... frustrated and feeling stupid!!!
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM
DCP's Avatar
DCP DCP is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaatChildsplaymn View Post
Hi there,
I am new to this forum but sooooo need to vent about potty training. I am frustrated at the age (and now mine is showing) that children are expected to be potty trained! 3!?! 4!?! For as many years as it has been tracked ... like hundreds ... children have been basically toilet trained by 2 yrs. old ... until 2002 ... (Is that when "Pull-Ups" became popular?) Any way none of us are emotionally scarred by being able to pee/poop in a pot by the time we were two!!!
For 4 years I have had a childcare in my home the kids were trained before they turned 3 yo. But now I have 2 kids that are pushing 4 yo they no longer fit on a changing table! Parent participation is intermittent at best ... too busy ... too stressed ... too whatever. I have always said jokingly "Trained by 4 or out the door" ... So yesterday a 3 1/2 yo boy I care for sat on the pot crying ... I said why are you crying ... I don't wanna poop (no he's not constipated). So I said oh silly boy, everybody goes potty you don't need to cry, just push it out quickly and be all done, just like dad and mom etc. 5 min later he has poop smeared all over both hands, both legs and most of the toilet seat. We cleaned him up and everything up. Later on he's on the toilet again ... some poop already in pants and when I put him on the pot his hands went right in between his legs and off the cuff I stupidly say, (again my generation showing), "Do you know what a spanking is?? Because that's what happens when we play and make a big mess with our poop". I of course don't spank ever, I just wanted to make an impression on him. Well the results were mixed ... A. He pooped in the toilet ... no half hour wait, no crying! B. He told his folks I was going to spank him ... UGH PROBLEM!!! This morning I end up apologizing to him and his mom and feeling really stupid! Thing is I am still pissed off that people don't train their kids ... pissed off that when the "Pull-Ups" are pulled down that adult size, smelly poop is spilled all over the floor, still pissed off that is deemed better, convenient and more efficient to put your child in a diaper to go to the MALL ... ok honey just piss and crap all over yourself ... mommy wants to shop uninterrupted!!!!!! I honestly think it is neglectful to not train your child and expect others to do this for you. ... frustrated and feeling stupid!!!
Linda - while I completely feel your pain I have mixed feelings on this one. I have some clients that their child is ready..but parent is NOT! This of course is the type I assume you speak of.
There are also some children that are insanely stubborn and training is beyond difficult. I started my twin girls as soon as they could understand what the word meant. (under two!!) they were not trained FULLY until they were FOUR!!! I remember crying because here I am a childcare provider and I can not train my own kids - my oldest was not even two yet and fully trained so it was a huge challenge. Thing with kids is..when it comes to this..we have almost NO control...and they know it LOL
For the parents that I hope you are speaking of...like I said I feel for you. I have a headache of my own...Mom not ready BUT CHILD IS (child even talks about it as I have others here in training..I have attempted but can not if Mom is not on board..I need them to participate to make it happen) and then I have another, Mom is ready but child is not even close!

And lesson learned...once they start talking you HAVE to monitor your own words This alone could cause some major headaches for you down the road..so be very careful with your wording around the DC kids (even if not talking to them directly)
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face Lesson Learned Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCP View Post
Linda - while I completely feel your pain I have mixed feelings on this one. I have some clients that their child is ready..but parent is NOT! This of course is the type I assume you speak of.
There are also some children that are insanely stubborn and training is beyond difficult. I started my twin girls as soon as they could understand what the word meant. (under two!!) they were not trained FULLY until they were FOUR!!! I remember crying because here I am a childcare provider and I can not train my own kids - my oldest was not even two yet and fully trained so it was a huge challenge. Thing with kids is..when it comes to this..we have almost NO control...and they know it LOL
For the parents that I hope you are speaking of...like I said I feel for you. I have a headache of my own...Mom not ready BUT CHILD IS (child even talks about it as I have others here in training..I have attempted but can not if Mom is not on board..I need them to participate to make it happen) and then I have another, Mom is ready but child is not even close!

And lesson learned...once they start talking you HAVE to monitor your own words This alone could cause some major headaches for you down the road..so be very careful with your wording around the DC kids (even if not talking to them directly)
Thanks DCP ... for sharing your experience. Your story helped me understand. And you betcha, lesson learned!
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 PM
DCP's Avatar
DCP DCP is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 71
Default

You are very welcome!!!! Potty training (or learning as we are instructed to use LOL) is a touchy and frustrating subject. Some kids get it NO problem and others like the control of it. Every one used to tell me..have you ever met a kindergartener in diapers?? LOL

They will get there, you just need to decide if they are worth training or not. If it is a huge issue for you, you have to demand participation from parents or let them know this is not the place for their child and give them a termination letter.

best of luck either way!!!
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCP View Post
You are very welcome!!!! Potty training (or learning as we are instructed to use LOL) is a touchy and frustrating subject. Some kids get it NO problem and others like the control of it. Every one used to tell me..have you ever met a kindergartener in diapers?? LOL

They will get there, you just need to decide if they are worth training or not. If it is a huge issue for you, you have to demand participation from parents or let them know this is not the place for their child and give them a termination letter.

best of luck either way!!!
My friend that is a kindergarten teacher has a few in pullups in her class. No, there's nothing delayed about them, just not potty trained.
Reply With Quote
  #361  
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM
DCP's Avatar
DCP DCP is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 71
Default

Oh Country..you just killed their theory haha!! Thank you!!! My reply to them was "there is a first for everything!!" I was a bit discouraged
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Nellie's Avatar
Nellie Nellie is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 260
Default

Parents pay the last day children are in attendence for the week. Had a family that took Thursday and Friday off and forgot the check because it wasn't a normal payday. They said they would bring it over. Well a week later she brings it with an extra $15 dollars on it. Late fee is $5 a day and they have 2 kids. I need a back bone. I think she seemed a little disapointed that I wasn't greatful for $15 after 6 late days. Grrrrrrrrrr
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 PM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default Can I just say....

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHRRRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!



Okay, now I can make it through the rest of the day now. I think.
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM
sahm2three's Avatar
sahm2three sahm2three is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,113
Default

So. Worn. Out. I know there is going to be good days and bad. But man, just when I think I am getting things figured out, I get hit with a day like today. To say that I am physically and emotionally DONE is an understatement. I am convinced that I am sent all the worst and hardest kids on this earth. Ugh. Seriously BAD day. I don't know if I can do two more days.
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
MN Mom's Avatar
MN Mom MN Mom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the Rainbow
Posts: 396
Default

Must be something in the air. I woke up this morning with a dreadful feeling...I wanted to crawl under my blankets and pillows all day and just hide. To say my new DCB was a challenge today is an understatement. He was a MONSTER. I can only hope tomorrow will be better! *crosses fingers*
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 5,767
Default

I can tell it's going to be a wonderful day, NOT!

I woke up early, dcb came an hour late. I feel like crap with a sinus infection brought in by who, YEP, dcb. After 2 cups of herbal tea, the junk is draining and I'm coughing and choking. DCB tells me, don't share your germs, I don't want your cold, at least I don't have a cough. (I wouldn't be choking if he'd learn to wash him hands instead of spreading his germs everywhere.)

I tried to be polite as I told him to go to bed.
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 05-18-2012, 07:46 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 5,767
Default

I'm spraying down my house with Lysol as I drink my 3rd cup of tea.

I know dcb is awake, but I don't care, he's staying in bed.
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

Why, why, WHYYYYYY, when kids are fed, with clean diapers, and have just had a nap, must they WAKE UP SCREAMING AND CRYING?????!!!!! You are totally fine. I promise I'll still come and get you if you don't wake up P---ed off. Sigh.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default Out of control

OMG!!! DCK's are all out of control today!!! Hitting, Pushing, & Throwing!!!! Thank God its FRIDAY!!!! I just couldn't take another day of this!!!!!

Do you know what's worse than an overnight diaper that hasn't been changed.......... a poopy overnight diaper that hasn't been changed. Letters going home with the parents today.
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default Really?

How is it that I can make snack, put it out on the table, tell the kids snack is ready and they don't notice....yet if I quietly take a bite out of my personal chocolate stash, they surround me within seconds asking for some??
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 05-23-2012, 05:49 AM
saved4always's Avatar
saved4always saved4always is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh View Post
How is it that I can make snack, put it out on the table, tell the kids snack is ready and they don't notice....yet if I quietly take a bite out of my personal chocolate stash, they surround me within seconds asking for some??
They have a radar for stuff like that. Happens to me all the time, too!
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
SunshineMama's Avatar
SunshineMama SunshineMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Legally unlicensed state
Posts: 1,576
Default

I have 7 1/2 days left of diarrhea screamy clingy boy until he is gone forever! I wish I didn't have a 2 weeks notice! The parents are annoying me by helicoptering over me, showing up at random times, etc. funny how now they can show up on time! Every time I leave the room to change another diaper or go to the bathroom this kid screams (17 months old). He still throws food on the floor for no reason. He's the first one here and the last one to leave. He doesnt walk yet so I have to carry him everywhere we go. Im so glad he's on his way out the door! He's such a pain!
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
BusyBee's Avatar
BusyBee BusyBee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 109
Default

I have NEVER had this happen so I should count my blessings--but a hand down a poopy diaper at naptime is not a good thing. At least she yelled my name so I knew something was up! Grrr and yuck. It was only on her hand so it could have been MUCH worse...
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
jokalima's Avatar
jokalima jokalima is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 474
Default

I've been looking forward to my long weekend and DCM just asked if I could take care of child on day of the weekend? Is that disrespectful or is just me?
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 05-24-2012, 04:08 PM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokalima View Post
I've been looking forward to my long weekend and DCM just asked if I could take care of child on day of the weekend? Is that disrespectful or is just me?
Just say no - tell her you already had plans. Don't feel bad about it either, you're not obligated to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM
jokalima's Avatar
jokalima jokalima is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
Just say no - tell her you already had plans. Don't feel bad about it either, you're not obligated to do it.
I did say no, she said that we would talk tomorrow about it but that's not the problem really, is just that I find it a little bit disrespectful for some one to know that one of the few times during the year that i can get a long weekend and rest ask me to do this.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

New child is a biter.
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Bookworm's Avatar
Bookworm Bookworm is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBee View Post
I have NEVER had this happen so I should count my blessings--but a hand down a poopy diaper at naptime is not a good thing. At least she yelled my name so I knew something was up! Grrr and yuck. It was only on her hand so it could have been MUCH worse...
Oh, I can top that. I once had a DCG who put her poop in her mouth one day at nap. They were hard little balls and when I noticed her moving them in her mouth, I asked what did she have in her mouth. Then she showed me. I freaked out. We had to call mom to take her to the doctor. I wanted to bleach out her mouth and then give her a Lysol cough drop.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 05-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
Oh, I can top that. I once had a DCG who put her poop in her mouth one day at nap. They were hard little balls and when I noticed her moving them in her mouth, I asked what did she have in her mouth. Then she showed me. I freaked out. We had to call mom to take her to the doctor. I wanted to bleach out her mouth and then give her a Lysol cough drop.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another reason we REALLY need a "vomit" emoticon.....although, I don't think it would really convey how gross that is.

I wanna bleach my own mouth out from just reading this!!!
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 05-25-2012, 10:58 AM
jokalima's Avatar
jokalima jokalima is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 474
Default

Ok, so I have this girl that when she gets upset she screams, but she sreams bloody murder, so bad that I get scared that someone is going to call the police because they could think I am hurting her, yes that bad So today I put her in time out because she just was being to much, she started to scream like that, it was I mean I can't describe how loud it was, it was stressing me out and the other kids to. I know she does it because she thinks I am going to release her from TO but I can't because then she will be the boss around here So I just had to send her to the bathroom and tell her to scream all she wanted in there, and that when she was ready and calmed she could come out. She stayed in the bathroom screaming and kicking the door for around 5 minutes, i was on the other side of door or close enough to make sure it was ok. My bathroom is safe, I don't have anything hazardous at her reach and she is older, 4 years old so she uses the bathroom by herself.

Is this bad? What else could I have done?
Reply With Quote
  #381  
Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
SunshineMama's Avatar
SunshineMama SunshineMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Legally unlicensed state
Posts: 1,576
Default

So the dcb I termed is STILL having diarrhea. 3 weeks later! Are you kidding me!?!

I have only 2 days left. I feel like I can't term him immediately and keep the money because that seems crappy, and I can't return the money because I really have to have it.

So this is my letter to his parents, that I am obviously posting here instead of sending to them:

Dear DCP's,

What kind of a parent allows their child to come to daycare with diarrhea.... all the time? You are selfish and horrible. What kind of a parent doesn't take their child to the doctor after being chronically ill? Now my child is sick, and so is my best friend's child- all because of your selfishness. Your bad parenting is the worst I have ever seen in this business. It is all I can do to keep my mouth shut and put up with these last few days. Do you really think that your group daycare provider has the time or desire to care for your diarrhea child for weeks on end! I even bathed your child on multiple occasions, going above and beyond! The fact that I had to bathe him should say a lot. And never a thank you. This is week #3 of this particular illness- he has been ill for a total of 10 weeks with diarrhea in the past 6 months. And no, it is not from teething- that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. I guess the other kids caught his "teething" from him? Stop the excuses and get real. Start parenting and take care of your sick child. I promise you your next provider will not put up with that crap (literally) as long as I did. You're lucky I was a newbie with no backbone.
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
DCBlessings27's Avatar
DCBlessings27 DCBlessings27 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 332
Default Need a backbone

I'm mad at myself and a dcm. First, I turned off my alarm over Memorial Weekend. I overslept and was woken by dcm banging on the door. I feel awful about it, and I apologized twice to dcm and dcg. She said it was okay. I could have made excuses such as I'm pregnant and need more sleep, blah blah. I didn't though. I just apologized and turned my alarm back on.

I am upset with dcm though. I don't charge for days that I take off unless it's a holiday that care is scheduled for. So, I should get paid for Monday even though I took it off. Dcm gave me a check this morning for only 4 days this week. I didn't want to send a text, so I will just bring it up later.

I don't want her to be mad and tell me that I wasn't awake for her daughter, especially since she's constantly breaking our contract. She sometimes has to work later bc her office is busy. Yesterday, she didn't pick up until 5:40. I checked her contract, and it states that the latest time to pick up is 5:30. I don't have late fees in her contract, so I can't charge her. She is supposed to pay on Mondays for the week. I haven't gotten a check on a Monday in a long time. It's my fault for not enforcing it. I just needed to vent. I need the money since I'm pregnant, so I don't know if I should enforce the contract.
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM
SunshineMama's Avatar
SunshineMama SunshineMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Legally unlicensed state
Posts: 1,576
Default

T minus 1 day until diarrhea dcb is gone! He's screaming right now for no reason in the play room- poor little guy is probably suffering from all of his symptoms. I guess his parents thought a week in Vegas and another in NYC was more important that taking time off to care for their child. I guess their upcoming Dominican Republic Vacation is too important to cancel and take their son to the doctor. The worst. Only 1 more day!
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMama View Post
T minus 1 day until diarrhea dcb is gone! He's screaming right now for no reason in the play room- poor little guy is probably suffering from all of his symptoms. I guess his parents thought a week in Vegas and another in NYC was more important that taking time off to care for their child. I guess their upcoming Dominican Republic Vacation is too important to cancel and take their son to the doctor. The worst. Only 1 more day!
Call CPS. Really, this is BAD.
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
Call CPS. Really, this is BAD.
At this point, I really have to agree.
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default

2.5 yo dcg came back from vacation a tv addict! I normally allow two 30 minute sessions a day. She cries or whines when I turn it off and tell her tv time is done ands its time to play toys or go outside. If she is still like this next week, we may have to detox. Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 06-01-2012, 05:20 PM
jokalima's Avatar
jokalima jokalima is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 474
Default

DCM gave me 20.00 today for almost 2 full hours of late fees, this not including other days when they picked up late and I never charge them for it , i know my fault. Well I told them that for last week it was going to be 20.00 , it should have been 40.00 but I wanted to be nice. So today she picked up 45 minutes late and gave me 20.00, said it was for all the time she picked her baby late. Really? I told her this week that she had to pay 20..0 for last week and she comes and says that? For today alone she owes me more than 30.00

I now understand when you guys say it does not pay to be nice
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 06-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Bookworm's Avatar
Bookworm Bookworm is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokalima View Post
Ok, so I have this girl that when she gets upset she screams, but she sreams bloody murder, so bad that I get scared that someone is going to call the police because they could think I am hurting her, yes that bad So today I put her in time out because she just was being to much, she started to scream like that, it was I mean I can't describe how loud it was, it was stressing me out and the other kids to. I know she does it because she thinks I am going to release her from TO but I can't because then she will be the boss around here So I just had to send her to the bathroom and tell her to scream all she wanted in there, and that when she was ready and calmed she could come out. She stayed in the bathroom screaming and kicking the door for around 5 minutes, i was on the other side of door or close enough to make sure it was ok. My bathroom is safe, I don't have anything hazardous at her reach and she is older, 4 years old so she uses the bathroom by herself.

Is this bad? What else could I have done?
Nope. This what I do. I sit by the door and tell them to let me know when they're finished. I don't tolerate tantrums and usually by the third/fourth time they figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokalima View Post
DCM gave me 20.00 today for almost 2 full hours of late fees, this not including other days when they picked up late and I never charge them for it , i know my fault. Well I told them that for last week it was going to be 20.00 , it should have been 40.00 but I wanted to be nice. So today she picked up 45 minutes late and gave me 20.00, said it was for all the time she picked her baby late. Really? I told her this week that she had to pay 20..0 for last week and she comes and says that? For today alone she owes me more than 30.00

I now understand when you guys say it does not pay to be nice
Well besides simply NOT allowing this to happen at all, you can stop this behavior by raising the late fees each time she is late.

The point of a late fee is to discourage the lateness not just be paid for your extra time. If she is simply paying you (not even the right amount) then she could not care less about you, your policies or the fees and is going to continue to do what works for her.

I raise the late fees by doubling them each time a parent is late. After 3 late pick ups I term.

I don't need families that don't respect me, my time or my business.

First late pick up is $1 per minute, second late pick up is $2 per minute and thirs is $3 per minute. Fourth late pick up and they are free to go immediately.

Late is also a few minutes, NOT hours.
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 06-03-2012, 10:26 AM
jokalima's Avatar
jokalima jokalima is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 474
Default

Well they are usually late, not always but it does happen frequently qith them, it coul be anywhere from 1-5 minutes, or like the other day it was almost 10 minutes an she was not working that day.

Is fair for me to charge even for the 1st minute? Before I was like "yeah it's OK it is just this time" but when is started to happen more and more I am getting upset because that extra minute is a minute taken away from my family and son.

Anyways, i am still working on my contract and I did it a little bit different, I put 5.00 for the 1st 5 minutes and then 10.00 for every 15.00 minutes. What you guys think? I wanted to put 5.00 1st because is more and maybe the get discourage from coming late.
Reply With Quote
  #391  
Old 06-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokalima View Post
Well they are usually late, not always but it does happen frequently qith them, it coul be anywhere from 1-5 minutes, or like the other day it was almost 10 minutes an she was not working that day.

Is fair for me to charge even for the 1st minute? Before I was like "yeah it's OK it is just this time" but when is started to happen more and more I am getting upset because that extra minute is a minute taken away from my family and son.

Anyways, i am still working on my contract and I did it a little bit different, I put 5.00 for the 1st 5 minutes and then 10.00 for every 15.00 minutes. What you guys think? I wanted to put 5.00 1st because is more and maybe the get discourage from coming late.
Why wouldn't it be fair? Your time is just as valuable as any other person's time. Clocks have minute hands because each minute counts sooo... I put out the late sign out sheet the minute a parent is late. If they have trouble getting there on time, they need to re-adjust their contract.

If every family is only one minute late every day each year, do you know how much time you are giving away for free? That is $12-15 per year (depending on your rates) for EACH family and if you have 10 families that is a lot of free time....kwim?
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 AM
jokalima's Avatar
jokalima jokalima is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 474
Default

This is what I have, if I finish it today i will be giving it to parents tomorrow.

$5.00 for the 1st 5 minutes past my closing time starting on the first minute. If you pass those five minutes the fee will be 10.00 for every 15 minute increment. After your third late pick up you will pay $15.00 for every 15 minute period. This late fee also applies if I have posted a notice closing earlier than 5:30 p.m. Any previous exemptions will no longer take place.

If you have a better way of wording it please feel free to say, English is not my 1st language and some times I fear the way I put things together in writing are not professional enough.

Also, i was thinking of adding to this part that if they have something talk about
to come earlier or make an appointment because after 5:30 I cannot stay chatting with parents. How would you say that in a nice way?
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 06-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Frizzled Frizzled is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19
Default Irresponsible Dad

Background: DCB was brought by dad in a rear facing carseat placed in the back of a work van. It was held in place by bungee cords. I called CSB about it and he took parenting classes... Just about every time he drops DCB off now he texts 10 minutes before he is to be here to let me know he is coming. Sometimes I have been here and sometimes not, I always let him know.

TODAY: My phone was dropped over the weekend and not working. I let ALL the DCF know and got their times of arrival for today. DCD apparently didn't get the memo from DCM because he not only does his usual but today I had an appointment and was out during the time he wanted to drop off (his scheduled time is to arrive at 2, sometimes he comes earlier if dad drops off). So what does he do? He enters MY HOUSE, which it was my fault for leaving the door unlocked but we live in the middle of nowhere and never really ever lock our doors. Then, this was the kicker, LEAVE HIS SON IN THE HIGHCHAIR AND GOES TO WORK. I got home to a 15 month old sitting in the highchair with a sippy and come cheerios (which dad got into MY CABINETS to get) and NO PARENT ANYWHERE! My neighbor got suspicious (thank God the child was never left completely alone thanks to awesome neighbors) and called me then called the cops. How irresponsible and STUPID is this guy???? I told the cops he works under the table too, probably not the smartest but the guy is going to jail anyways...

Best part: boy is in custody of CSB overnight to sort things out and mom called me cussing and throwing a fit over it. She ACTUALLY said "well he was restrained, not like he could hurt himself or anything" REALLY? REALLY? WOW.

Ahhh... Can't really talk about the case much more than that but holy cow, the nerve of these people. I feel so bad for that little boy right now.
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 AM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

Frizzled, WOW!!!!!! Just when you think you've heard it all.

He couldn't hurt himself? How about if he managed to tip the highchair over, or if he choked on those cheerios.... just wow.

The ignorance of these parents is amazing. Thank goodness that it's out of their hands now. So sorry that you had to go through this though!
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzled View Post
Background: DCB was brought by dad in a rear facing carseat placed in the back of a work van. It was held in place by bungee cords. I called CSB about it and he took parenting classes... Just about every time he drops DCB off now he texts 10 minutes before he is to be here to let me know he is coming. Sometimes I have been here and sometimes not, I always let him know.

TODAY: My phone was dropped over the weekend and not working. I let ALL the DCF know and got their times of arrival for today. DCD apparently didn't get the memo from DCM because he not only does his usual but today I had an appointment and was out during the time he wanted to drop off (his scheduled time is to arrive at 2, sometimes he comes earlier if dad drops off). So what does he do? He enters MY HOUSE, which it was my fault for leaving the door unlocked but we live in the middle of nowhere and never really ever lock our doors. Then, this was the kicker, LEAVE HIS SON IN THE HIGHCHAIR AND GOES TO WORK. I got home to a 15 month old sitting in the highchair with a sippy and come cheerios (which dad got into MY CABINETS to get) and NO PARENT ANYWHERE! My neighbor got suspicious (thank God the child was never left completely alone thanks to awesome neighbors) and called me then called the cops. How irresponsible and STUPID is this guy???? I told the cops he works under the table too, probably not the smartest but the guy is going to jail anyways...

Best part: boy is in custody of CSB overnight to sort things out and mom called me cussing and throwing a fit over it. She ACTUALLY said "well he was restrained, not like he could hurt himself or anything" REALLY? REALLY? WOW.

Ahhh... Can't really talk about the case much more than that but holy cow, the nerve of these people. I feel so bad for that little boy right now.
Holy moly schmoly!!!!!!!!

Are you serious!!!!!! Wow!! I have NEVER EVER in all my years of child care heard of a parent being that stupid!

Wow! There are just NO words to say!!

I hope mom does something to prevent this guy from having unsupervised vists with his child considering he is not fit to make wise choices so he should definitely be supervised while visiting with his son!

WOW!!
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Bookworm's Avatar
Bookworm Bookworm is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzled View Post
Background: DCB was brought by dad in a rear facing carseat placed in the back of a work van. It was held in place by bungee cords. I called CSB about it and he took parenting classes... Just about every time he drops DCB off now he texts 10 minutes before he is to be here to let me know he is coming. Sometimes I have been here and sometimes not, I always let him know.

TODAY: My phone was dropped over the weekend and not working. I let ALL the DCF know and got their times of arrival for today. DCD apparently didn't get the memo from DCM because he not only does his usual but today I had an appointment and was out during the time he wanted to drop off (his scheduled time is to arrive at 2, sometimes he comes earlier if dad drops off). So what does he do? He enters MY HOUSE, which it was my fault for leaving the door unlocked but we live in the middle of nowhere and never really ever lock our doors. Then, this was the kicker, LEAVE HIS SON IN THE HIGHCHAIR AND GOES TO WORK. I got home to a 15 month old sitting in the highchair with a sippy and come cheerios (which dad got into MY CABINETS to get) and NO PARENT ANYWHERE! My neighbor got suspicious (thank God the child was never left completely alone thanks to awesome neighbors) and called me then called the cops. How irresponsible and STUPID is this guy???? I told the cops he works under the table too, probably not the smartest but the guy is going to jail anyways...

Best part: boy is in custody of CSB overnight to sort things out and mom called me cussing and throwing a fit over it. She ACTUALLY said "well he was restrained, not like he could hurt himself or anything" REALLY? REALLY? WOW.

Ahhh... Can't really talk about the case much more than that but holy cow, the nerve of these people. I feel so bad for that little boy right now.
That man can not be that stupid or else he would have wandered out in traffic by now. What in the h*** was he thinking? Did he even bother to call out or check your house? He obviously had time to plunder in cabinets for food, how much time could it have taken to look around for you. And why was mom mad at you? You would think she'd be grateful for looking out for her son. You weren't the one who left him in an empty house. I'm getting of my soapbox now and going to get another drink.
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Bookworm's Avatar
Bookworm Bookworm is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 859
Default Don't ask and we won't tell

We had a parent come to us one morning asking for help with controlling her son's tantrums every morning. We gave her the usual advice: quick kisses and leave, give him wave at the window then get in her car and leave. The thing is, DCB only does this because she feeds into it and he can get what he wants. With us however, is is an angel.

Fast forward to this morning. DCB comes in acting like a newborn fool. Jumping up and down screaming yanking on mom arm begging to be picked up. One of the teachers went over to DCB and told him to stop it. She told him that he is too big to act like that and he's big enough to walk in by himself. She gave him a tissue, told him to give mom a kiss and took his hand to walk him to the window to say goodbye. Well, my Director called us (3 teachers) in the office. She told us DCB's mom was highly offended because DCB was called out on his actions and she felt we ganged up on her and we didn't respect her son's right to have a tantrum. We burst out laughing. She also put in her notice because we don't respect her son's rights and she doesn't feel comfortable leaving him with people who don't respect him. We are slowly but surely weeding out the crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 AM
saved4always's Avatar
saved4always saved4always is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
We had a parent come to us one morning asking for help with controlling her son's tantrums every morning. We gave her the usual advice: quick kisses and leave, give him wave at the window then get in her car and leave. The thing is, DCB only does this because she feeds into it and he can get what he wants. With us however, is is an angel.

Fast forward to this morning. DCB comes in acting like a newborn fool. Jumping up and down screaming yanking on mom arm begging to be picked up. One of the teachers went over to DCB and told him to stop it. She told him that he is too big to act like that and he's big enough to walk in by himself. She gave him a tissue, told him to give mom a kiss and took his hand to walk him to the window to say goodbye. Well, my Director called us (3 teachers) in the office. She told us DCB's mom was highly offended because DCB was called out on his actions and she felt we ganged up on her and we didn't respect her son's right to have a tantrum. We burst out laughing. She also put in her notice because we don't respect her son's rights and she doesn't feel comfortable leaving him with people who don't respect him. We are slowly but surely weeding out the crazy.
Wow...never heard of "respecting a child's right to have a tantrum". Must be some new-fangled parenting trend.
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 AM
MizzCheryl's Avatar
MizzCheryl MizzCheryl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 478
Default

I think some of these parents love the fact that their child has a fit when they leave.
Makes them feel better like the child misses them.
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

Now I've heard it all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Positive Thread - What Happened That was GOOD Today? AfterSchoolMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1956 10-17-2018 04:06 PM
Side Topic to Coin Recognition Thread - Time and Calendar spud912 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 07-29-2012 09:52 AM
Looking for an old thread Bookworm Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 04-25-2012 04:36 PM
Returned Check Thread Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 10-19-2010 06:59 PM
Venting Question? momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 08-30-2010 09:18 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:58 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming