Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default A to Z, Zoo Animals

I'm working on putting my curriculum together for the next fall. I'm currently working on a unit with animals. I'm trying to get different themes put together so we can study one letter/topic within that theme each day.

I wanted to share the resources I've been working from incase anyone else is interested in doing the same type of thing.

I start with the following link...
http://welovebeingmoms.blogspot.com/...hool-unit.html

Then to find some more fun facts and real life photos of the animals, I love the following site...
http://a-z-animals.com/animals/

Finally, I google to find an animal craft to go along with the theme. I just google "raccoon craft image" for example and find an image that appears to be easy enough for preschoolers to complete. (or pinterest is great too, but I seem to find what I need quicker this way...)

I'm just finishing up filing all my information. I have a folder for each letter/animal and have all my materials lined up to make a craft and teach the kids about that animal. I'm working on creating my first example craft of each to put into the file so I don't forget what we are doing by the time we actually use this in the fall... I'm keeping my own SA children busy with cutting out my materials for this. They are also responsible for assembling the example craft. (They are loving it and it's saving me a bunch of time too. )

All my files are then going into a clear file box. As I gather toys or books that go with that theme, they also go into that file box.

ETA: I'm also planning coordinating snacks to go with the theme. (teddy grahams for bear day, Ants on a log for Ant day...)

I love getting organized!!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

Awesome idea and sites, thanks for sharing! I just learned something...I haven't heard of some of the animals on the list..
All my dck's are 2.5 and under so it's hard to do themes like this, I can do little things, but their attention span would not allow me to do all the activities. Have fun!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilley View Post
Awesome idea and sites, thanks for sharing! I just learned something...I haven't heard of some of the animals on the list..
All my dck's are 2.5 and under so it's hard to do themes like this, I can do little things, but their attention span would not allow me to do all the activities. Have fun!
My group is quite young too. My oldest is 3. However, I've always done learning activities with them and they all know most of their letters already. We need a more indepth study to keep them interested. I can always adapt it to fit a younger age or skill level, but now it'll be prepared to use again and again for future years.

I hadn't heard of some of the animals either. I've actually learned alot prepping this material!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

they are never too young for zoo phonics. I have a 14 month out that can do a few letters by sound when I show DCK.

If you would like, I take a video of it later and email it to you....

I have attended 2 Zoo Phonics workshops and LOVE the program.

All of my kids know sight and sound of every letter lower case by age 2-2.5 and both upper and lower by age 2.5-3 years
Old 06-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

I used the Xray tetra when I did an A-Z theme last summer. I wonder if they named it that because there was no other animal for X.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

Oh, I also did handprint crafts in addition to the other crafts for each animal I used and turned them into alphabet books for the kids. The parents LOVED getting those at the end of the month.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
they are never too young for zoo phonics. I have a 14 month out that can do a few letters by sound when I show DCK.

If you would like, I take a video of it later and email it to you....

I have attended 2 Zoo Phonics workshops and LOVE the program.

All of my kids know sight and sound of every letter lower case by age 2-2.5 and both upper and lower by age 2.5-3 years
Interesting! I would love to see it! I do little activities using the alphabet everyday, but zoo phonics sounds like fun!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

I wanted to add an additional resource. I found a site where you can listen to the sounds that the animals make. http://www.findsounds.com/types.html

Tags
alphabet, curriculum