Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default When/How to Advertise?

I am just getting started and going through the steps to get licensed. In the mean time I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to start advertising and doing interviews or if it is better to wait until I receive my license?
On the same note, what do you find are the most effective ways to advertise and build up your daycare? ALL suggestions are seriously appreciated!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Family Childcare Provider

Do you have an appt scheduled for your inspection? We get our license that same day and can operate that same day. I was already license-exempt and could watch one other family's children beside my own. So I was watching kids before I was licensed. If you have a date for inspection and licensure the I don't think there's anything wrong with interviewing and advertising for the future spots as long as they know that.
I advertise on Craigslist, Facebook, I paid for 3 mos on this site's listing but the biggest one has been our R&R agency! I would get in contact with them ASAP and find out what you need to do to be on their registry and what services they offer. They offered a pre-licensing program that helps you through the process. They also have some good classes for newbies.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:04 AM

Some states require you to include your license number on ALL advertising while some states do not.

Check with your state requirements before you start advertising.

In my state, you are allowed to advertise before being licensed but I would make sure to mention your open date so parents know you aren't available immediately.

You may also be able to begin caring for a family before your license comes if it is allowed in your state.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
I advertise on Craigslist, Facebook, I paid for 3 mos on this site's listing but the biggest one has been our R&R agency! I would get in contact with them ASAP and find out what you need to do to be on their registry and what services they offer. They offered a pre-licensing program that helps you through the process. They also have some good classes for newbies.
What is the R&R agency?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauram16 View Post
What is the R&R agency?
R&R is short for Resource and Referral.

Most states have a Child Care Resource & Referral agency that helps support providers in offering resources and educational trainings but also assists parents in finding child care.

Here is a link to help you find yours

http://www.eec.state.ma.us/ChildCare...dReferral.aspx
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauram16 View Post
What is the R&R agency?
I'm glad you asked! These are some great ideas I'll have to do some research. I read on my states site that after I turn in my application for licensure it could take up to 120 to process... I thought that was kinda long. I'll have to call and see if I'm able to start taking kids before I get the response.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks btw... any more ideas would be great!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Daycare.com Member

A few advertising ideas:
~Place flyers in neighbors mail boxes/door steps that a new day care is opening in their neighborhood
~Hand out flyers to families EVERYWERE you go: Church, elementary school parking lot, grocery store, park (maybe even give lollypops or candies out to adults)
~Hang flyers at local park, community college, community bulletin boards, neighborhood Facebook page
~Post on Craigslist
~Learn to make balloon animals or face painting or even temporary tattoos and give out for free along with your business card/ flyer at local parks, parades/ festivals
~Create a Facebook page for your daycare and invite friends & family to like and to share with their friends
Its sounds like a lot of work but it is all worth it and is tax deductible as marketing.
Good Luck!!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 AM

Other threads about advertising/ideas

http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=advertising+ideas
Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Daycare.com Member

Awesome and creative ideas! Thank you! I also appreciate the link found some other good ideas.

Tags
advertising