Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Old 06-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Banned

Default Bilingual Learning, Anyone?

I'm wondering if anyone else has worked with multiple languages as an actual concept. It's a topic I'm passionate about and deeply interested.

I work in a dual immersion environment in which I speak only English to the children and my co-workers speak only German.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:49 PM

I leave the Closed Captioning on French or Spanish sometimes....

Does that count?
Old 06-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Does that count?

Afraid not.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Another thread on the subject. http://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44086
Old 06-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Legally Unlicensed

I would love to incorporate Spanish into my program. Unfortunately, in my area people aren't exactly open minded. In fact, the general tone on Facebook (my "friends" and comments on local news pages) is "this is 'Merica and we only speak English here!".

My last name is a common Hispanic surname and I actually think it keeps me from getting some clients... not that I'd want those people anyway, but it's unfortunate. I just don't have the guts to even try.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Does that count?
lol

We chatter equally in Spanish/English here with occasional French subtitles.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth View Post
I would love to incorporate Spanish into my program. Unfortunately, in my area people aren't exactly open minded. In fact, the general tone on Facebook (my "friends" and comments on local news pages) is "this is 'Merica and we only speak English here!".

My last name is a common Hispanic surname and I actually think it keeps me from getting some clients... not that I'd want those people anyway, but it's unfortunate. I just don't have the guts to even try.
That's really, really unfortunate because language acquisition at a young age has so many benefits besides the ability to speak another language. It's funny because where I live, people are nuts about English, French, Spanish. "Oh, it's so good for the kids..." But suggest that a child could learn Turkish (Turks are the Mexicans of Germany, if you know what I mean) and all hell breaks loose. "This is our country, you need to speak German!"

Racism is alive and well.

Kids here learn English from 1st grade now.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

I live in Israel in an area with a lot of English speakers. I work with an Israeli woman who speaks only Hebrew, and I speak only English. It's great to watch the kids become fluent in both languages!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I live in Israel in an area with a lot of English speakers. I work with an Israeli woman who speaks only Hebrew, and I speak only English. It's great to watch the kids become fluent in both languages!
Wow, how cool! Do you know Helen Doron? I mean, not personally, but the program.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth View Post

I want to take a spanish class as well...there are several spanish speaking families here...not in my program at this time, but I can see that changing!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Legally Unlicensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
I want to take a spanish class as well...there are several spanish speaking families here...not in my program at this time, but I can see that changing!
Quite a few Hispanic families moved into our town a few years ago. They moved here temporarily while they worked in construction on some of our main streets. It seems like maybe they got stuck here.. IDK.. I would LOVE to include that I speak Spanish in my advertisements and maybe attract some of them as clients, but unfortunately I am absolutely positive that that will harm my business

I really, truly hate my town. And I don't hate very many things.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Daycare.com Member

Our center tries to hire those who speak dual language. We don't live in a very diverse community so it's not a requirement for us. I do believe that learning another language early on Is very important. The schools in our area don't begin to teach another language until 8th grade (and it's not a requirement to graduate hs either), unless you go to a private school. They try to convert those who speak anything but English, to speak English.
I'm hoping by the time my future children are SA, that curriculums will accommodate for children to be dual language ( English & Spanish).
Old 06-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Family Childcare Home

I'm a fluent Spanish speaker (it was my first language) as well as English and since I'm good at both I incorporate both in our day to day routines. I speak to the children in English and Spanish because it's what I know and it's important that someone that speaks the language fluently and properly be the one to teach it to others so that the children get the full effect of inflection, use, intonation etc. I think immersion programs are wonderful.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

Red face What a great thought!

I will be opening my in home daycare this fall and love this idea. I speak Spanish and have been loosing it more and more the longer I live in SW Virginia what a great way to keep it up! I use ASL more regularly, as my family on my mother's side is deaf. That is my 'go-to' language of choice. I really want my children to be able to communicate to any deaf person they come in contact with. It's near and dear to my heart to see my child sign true ASL.

Tags
bilingual