Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions

Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions What books and stories do you like best. Reviews are welcome.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2013, 03:28 PM
CedarCreek's Avatar
CedarCreek CedarCreek is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,529
Default Books That Turned Into Movies

I read this article and now I have a bunch of books that I want to read before they turn in to movies!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalde...the-big-screen

Are there any books that you loved that where turned into movies? What was the outcome in you opinion? I am excited for Divergent. I love the series so far.

I read The Lovely Bones and loved it but was disappointed in the movie. Just because I didn't like the way they handled the scenes where she was in "Heaven". But really, how are you supposed to relay that to the big screen? I'm just picky.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,945
Default

Off the top of my head I can think of a few:

ALL the Stephen King books that have been turned into movies are TOTALLY disappointing.....

"One Day"......was a fantastic book.....HORRID movie... (I like Anne Hathaway but horrible movie anyways)


"One for the Money" (starring Katherine Heigel). LOVE ALL of Janet Evanovich's books but REFUSE to watch the movie because I can't stand when MY version/image of a character is not the same as the movie version.


"Water For Elephants" GREAT book but during the movie, I kept waiting for RPat, to bare his fangs... and I felt like he was cheating on Bella.

Basically, if I read a book and like it, I will NOT see the movie.

It is ALWAYS a let down and I am an avid reader so I don't like to take the good part about reading and ruin it by seeing it on the big screen instead of the little one in my head.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Nicholas Sparks is my favorite author and I have seen all of his movies... The only one I saw before I read the book was message in a bottle. The most disappointing movie to me was the notebook- but that is my favorite book of all time so there was no way I was going to be pleased lol. The rest I think they did pretty well- I go into it knowing it will be adapted for the screen...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 PM
CedarCreek's Avatar
CedarCreek CedarCreek is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Off the top of my head I can think of a few:

ALL the Stephen King books that have been turned into movies are TOTALLY disappointing.....

"One Day"......was a fantastic book.....HORRID movie... (I like Anne Hathaway but horrible movie anyways)


"One for the Money" (starring Katherine Heigel). LOVE ALL of Janet Evanovich's books but REFUSE to watch the movie because I can't stand when MY version/image of a character is not the same as the movie version.


"Water For Elephants" GREAT book but during the movie, I kept waiting for RPat, to bare his fangs... and I felt like he was cheating on Bella.

Basically, if I read a book and like it, I will NOT see the movie.

It is ALWAYS a let down and I am an avid reader so I don't like to take the good part about reading and ruin it by seeing it on the big screen instead of the little one in my head.
I watched One Day without knowing it was a book and I thought it was pretty bad. I'm assuming a lot was left out because I was totally confused.

Water for Elephants i'm wanting to read before I see the movie. I hear good things about the book!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 PM
kimmills's Avatar
kimmills kimmills is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 56
Default

I have also read a few books that were later turned into movies but unfortunately the two versions differ drastically. Because when you read a book you perceive he character and the surroundings according to your imagination but when a movie is made then it is the director's perception.
__________________
Little Kingdom Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2013, 03:31 PM
CedarCreek's Avatar
CedarCreek CedarCreek is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,529
Default

I read Gone Girl the other day and WHOAH. That was entertaining. I'd actually like to see how that plays out as a movie.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Bookworm's Avatar
Bookworm Bookworm is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 859
Default

I enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. After seeing the trailer for Catching Fire, I'm a little wary. And of course, Harry Potter. As far as Stephen King, there are some adaptations that were horrible (i.e. The Shining, Needful Things, Christine) and some were very good (i.e. Carrie, Shawshank Redemption, Dreamcatcher, The Mist). Now if you want a book to movie that should have never been made, it's One Shot by Lee Child. The main character in the series is described as being around 6'4-6'6 and weighing 250-275 lbs of muscle. They picked Tom Cruise to play him. The horror.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default

I could not watch more than 30 minutes of "The Help" and I'm sure it was good but, it did not fit with the description in my mind after reading that wonderful book!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default

On another note, I thought "The Hunger Games" movie was quite good.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2013, 02:04 PM
GrannyJ's Avatar
GrannyJ GrannyJ is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Posts: 109
Default

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult They totally changed the ending and the ending was what made it such an awesome book. It was mine and my daughters favorite book so when the movie came out we went to the theaters to see it. When it was over we just sat there in disbelief. I don't understand how an author can ok a screenplay when they totally change your story and point of view. I haven't read a Jodi Picoult novel since then. Hopefully some day I will get over it! lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 AM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

While they had to leave out quite a bit from the books, I thought Lord of the Rings translated well on screen .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM
NeedaVaca's Avatar
NeedaVaca NeedaVaca is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 2,242
Default

I like the movie version of the Harry Potter series and Hunger games. Some of the Twilight movies were ok but the books are just always better! I loved reading the Shopaholic series but that movie was the worst! They changed SO much it wasn't even close to the book...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Rachel's Avatar
Rachel Rachel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 605
Default

Water for Elephants I agree was amazing, adn I didn't like the movie at all. The Help loved the book, the movie I know I saw but I can't remember what I thought so I guess it was "eh." Harry Potter I think the movies were done well.

I didn't really like The Book Thief, but everyone else in my book club loved it. Maybe I'll try the movie...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 PM
LiloAngels's Avatar
LiloAngels LiloAngels is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
Default

I love, love, love the Harry Potter book and series. As for the Hunger Games the movie wasn't to bad but Peeta wasn't what I quite expected.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

If I have read the book I avoid the movie because I have never watched one that measured up to the version in my head. Most often the casting and character personalities are too different for me to get past.

The only exception I can think of is The Game of Thrones tv series which is very true to the books but then again they have the author on staff writing and making decisions. Series like True Blood and The Walking Dead aren't horrible either because the tv versions are so dramatically different that they are more spinoffs than copies.

I can watch the movie and then read the book without cringing though. I expect the book to be much better so I'm waiting for developments that are different from the first page.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

I swear there was a post just now where someone said The Great Gatsby. The recent movie version was the weirdest movie... definitely NOT what I was expecting. The strange mix of period music mixed with Jay-Z was strange. But I do love me some Leonardo DiCaprio!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Bookworm's Avatar
Bookworm Bookworm is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyou View Post
If I have read the book I avoid the movie because I have never watched one that measured up to the version in my head. Most often the casting and character personalities are too different for me to get past.

The only exception I can think of is The Game of Thrones tv series which is very true to the books but then again they have the author on staff writing and making decisions. Series like True Blood and The Walking Dead aren't horrible either because the tv versions are so dramatically different that they are more spinoffs than copies.

I can watch the movie and then read the book without cringing though. I expect the book to be much better so I'm waiting for developments that are different from the first page.
For me, it depends on the book. Some books just don't translate well to screen. I tried to get into The Walking Dead show but it was boring. The graphic novels, on the other hand, were awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Eragon. Loved the book, the movie stunk like rotten eggs.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-27-2014, 03:36 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
For me, it depends on the book. Some books just don't translate well to screen. I tried to get into The Walking Dead show but it was boring. The graphic novels, on the other hand, were awesome.
I watched the first two seasons of the walking dead and then started the graphic novels. Maybe that's why I didn't mind it. I did stop reading the graphic novels when I reached that point in the series so I didn't ruin it for myself and I haven't gone back and finished them yet. The spinoff novels for the walking dead are such bad writing that it doesn't affect the show for me at all.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Rachel's Avatar
Rachel Rachel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 605
Default

I am really, really, excited for The Giver. I keep watching the trailer. I am only disappointed that she said her last book on it was the last one. I want more!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-07-2014, 12:24 AM
KristineHappyMom's Avatar
KristineHappyMom KristineHappyMom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Default

Karlsson-on-the-roof!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I am really, really, excited for The Giver. I keep watching the trailer. I am only disappointed that she said her last book on it was the last one. I want more!
Wait. What?! How did I not hear about this?! *squee*

I absolutely love The Giver
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 AM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default


OMIGOSH I have goosebumps I'm so excited for The Giver

Except... I know they usually change things to make the story better for movie adaptation, but I don't remember Jonas and the baby being snatched up by an aircraft

Oh well... still so excited!


ETA: ugh, nevermind. My bubble has been popped. I'm seeing a LOT of changes. The first half or so of the movie definitely should be black and white, for one. I'm still going to watch it, but I'm not nearly as excited as I was.

ETA: ok, I guess it IS partly in b&w? I'm so confused lol I want to LOVE this movie so badly because the book is by far one of my favorites.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Rachel's Avatar
Rachel Rachel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 605
Default

It seems like it is in black and white, I saw a clip where everything was b&w except the hair and the apple.

They also made the kids older. At first I just looked at the preview and thought "wow, they look older" and it bugged me. But then I saw they actually made them 16. So it still bugs me, but at least they advanced them to 16 and aren't having kids looking 16 playing 11 / 12 year olds.

She needs to write another book. I loved the first part of Son but the rest of it... blah. I want to know what happened in the original community after he left!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 AM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
It seems like it is in black and white, I saw a clip where everything was b&w except the hair and the apple.

They also made the kids older. At first I just looked at the preview and thought "wow, they look older" and it bugged me. But then I saw they actually made them 16. So it still bugs me, but at least they advanced them to 16 and aren't having kids looking 16 playing 11 / 12 year olds.

She needs to write another book. I loved the first part of Son but the rest of it... blah. I want to know what happened in the original community after he left!
Oh, ok I see it now! I watched the featurette and it does look like it's partly in B&W, which is awesome.

It does bother me that they're older, but maybe that's because the book touches on sexuality with the "stirrings" and they felt the audience would feel uncomfortable with 12 & 13 year olds experiencing it?? IDK, just my way of justifying that change so I can handle it

I want to know what happened to the community, too. But, it looks like Jonas and the baby were snatched up by an airplane thing... so maybe the ending is different from the book and the story will continue on?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Rachel's Avatar
Rachel Rachel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 605
Default

Yeah I'm guessing more to appeal to the "teen" audience and not come across as a "kid" movie (since with the themes I'm sure it's not getting a "G" rating....), they had to advance the age to make teens want to come. Teens are not like us old age geeks who would have no problem going to see a movie about 12 year olds
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Tdhmom's Avatar
Tdhmom Tdhmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyJ View Post
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult They totally changed the ending and the ending was what made it such an awesome book. It was mine and my daughters favorite book so when the movie came out we went to the theaters to see it. When it was over we just sat there in disbelief. I don't understand how an author can ok a screenplay when they totally change your story and point of view. I haven't read a Jodi Picoult novel since then. Hopefully some day I will get over it! lol
You need to read her book The Pact. It's eye opening. A lot of mixed reviews about it but it kept me reading.

I haven't seen the Fault in our Stars yet but just read the book and really enjoyed it!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 PM
CedarCreek's Avatar
CedarCreek CedarCreek is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,529
Default

I am also sooo excited for The Giver! Although, I did not picture Jeff Bridges. I pictured more of an Ian Mckellan.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Jennie M. Martin's Avatar
Jennie M. Martin Jennie M. Martin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6
Default

Well, I loved the book Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan. Movie was also average. I mean movie doesn't present a world with depth or originality... but as far as cinematic adaptations of young adult novels go, it thankfully strikes the right tone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
article, book suggestions

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Books and Toddlers DancingQueen Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 8 04-12-2011 10:02 AM
Books sahm2three Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 10 01-25-2011 12:39 PM
Free Books For Your Daycare! seashell Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 09-18-2010 08:31 AM
Children's Books according to theme Abigail Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 2 08-21-2010 07:56 AM
Children's Books Abigail Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 7 08-15-2010 07:06 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming