Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:59 AM
USAF_Wife

Default Fire drills

Do you leave kids shoes on that day or just have a regular day and put their shoes on at the safe spot? My kids shoes come off at the door in the morning. I know in a real fire I'm gonna have the time to put their shoes on their feet till we are safely away.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:16 AM
mac n peas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare View Post
Do you leave kids shoes on that day or just have a regular day and put their shoes on at the safe spot? My kids shoes come off at the door in the morning. I know in a real fire I'm gonna have the time to put their shoes on their feet till we are safely away.
Regular day and put them on at the safe spot, if necessary and if I grabbed them.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Childcare Provider

Quote:
The whole idea of the Drill is to learn how to handle a real fire if it ever happens, and if there was a real fire, I sure wouldn't worry about shoes, so I don't do that during Fire Drill either!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Our licensors are beginning to conduct fire drills when they visit so we have been practicing.
All our shoes go in a milk crate by the door every day. I sound a smoke alarm (exactly like the ones installed but I keep it on top my microwave. I do not depend on it as an actual alarm because I know the batteries aren't as strong as mounted ones because I use it often)
Several times a day I sound the alarm and the kids know, drop your toys, walk to the door tile.
It's also how I call them to get ready to go outside.
It's part of our routine so the noise doesn't bother them or scare them anymore.
I should have thought of this years ago.

Also, we just take the crate out with us and put our shoes on outside. No big.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:48 AM
USAF_Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
The whole idea of the Drill is to learn how to handle a real fire if it ever happens, and if there was a real fire, I sure wouldn't worry about shoes, so I don't do that during Fire Drill either!
If a real fire I certainly wouldn't be worried about their shoes either. I'm just getting prepared to be licensed and wanted to make sure that is the way I am suppose to do it. It only has listed in regulations to have them monthly.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If a real fire I certainly wouldn't be worried about their shoes either. I'm just getting prepared to be licensed and wanted to make sure that is the way I am suppose to do it. It only has listed in regulations to have them monthly.
Are regs here. I just hit the test button and we all go to the driveway in our socks. The kids think it is so funny to go out without shoes. I try to practice on non rainy days.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

No shoes, just go as you are
Old 03-23-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
Same here....we all just run out to our meeting point and then run back in again.

In the winter months, we gather in the entry way and "pretend" we are in our meeting spot.

Tags
fire drill, fire drills