Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas

Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas Post breakfast items, lunch items, and snack items that are all child friendly here. Each posting should include ONLY ONE meal option. The SUBJECT of each message should be ONLY the name of the food you are describing.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Veggie Rut

I think we're in a veggie rut. I always serve the same basic veggies since the kids don't eat them well. What veggies are commonly served at your house & do you use any special seasonings or just serve them plain? I'd love to be able to plan the meal around the vegetables instead of the other way around but we're just not there yet. I currently serve broccoli, corn, green beans, blacks beans, green peas, all steamed, french fried sweet potatoes, & fresh carrot sticks, broccoli, cauliflower. I'm wanting to spice it up a bit. Suggestions?
Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamanda View Post
I think we're in a veggie rut. I always serve the same basic veggies since the kids don't eat them well. What veggies are commonly served at your house & do you use any special seasonings or just serve them plain? I'd love to be able to plan the meal around the vegetables instead of the other way around but we're just not there yet. I currently serve broccoli, corn, green beans, blacks beans, green peas, all steamed, french fried sweet potatoes, & fresh carrot sticks, broccoli, cauliflower. I'm wanting to spice it up a bit. Suggestions?
I serve most of the veggies here raw. Similar list to yours. Also cucumber, grape tomatoes, celery. With hummus.

I will also serve a lot of root veggies (squash, beets, etc). I actually puree the squash and put it in my cheese sauce for mac and cheese. Kids never notice

I've done smoothies with kale in them.

Baking with zucchini and pumpkin.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:29 AM

My kids fresh veggies!! Some of their favorites include:

cherry tomatoes
cauliflower
broccoli
bell peppers (especially the red and orange)
cucumbers
carrot sticks
celery
spinach salad

I steam veggies too and they like all of them! I have yet to serve a veggie they don't like. I have a few kiddos that don't like one or two of them now and then but I serve more than one at a time so there is always choices.

I vary the dips too...sometimes we don't have any but favorites are ranch, hummus, mustard, Italian and dill dip made with greek yogurt.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 PM
mac n peas

We eat a few 'sauce' veggies - spaghetti and pizza, mainly.
Cooked veggies: green beans, black beans, baked beans, broccoli, carrots, corn, sweet potatoes, potatoes, zucchini, squash, peas, spinach, asparagus, beets.
Raw veggies: Spinach, cucumbers, snap peas, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, carrots, celery, romaine lettuce, radishes.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

Most of the following veggies that we eat are fresh, except frozen peas and canned beets.
Beets
Peas
Brussel Sprouts
Grape tomatoes
cucumbers
Broccoli
Red and green peppers
Cole Slaw
Green Beans
Kale Chips
Mini carrots
Sweet Potatoes
Zucchini and summer squash
Acorn squash
Spinach
Cauliflower
Celery
As for sauces, we just use Ranch, Honey Mustard, and Hummus. Then I have that weird kid or 2 that will eat anything as long as it's dipped in ketchup.