Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default A Question - Most of You Feel Parents Are a Pain in the Backside

Hello,

Disclaimer right off the bat: I mean not offense to anyone in particular. I'm just puzzled and confused in general.
Reading on these message boards, the main thing I derive from the threads is that most of you feel parents are a pain in the backside; kids are difficult, snotty, snooty, spoiled, or annoying; things would be so much better if parents just gave up their own silly ideas and followed your rules and guidelines; and generally, running a home daycare is just one small step short of the seventh circle of hell.

Is it really that bad? I'm not a troll; I am actually a fairly long-time member studying to get my ECE diploma right now, and this is truly not an attempt to cause trouble. I'm just really not prepared to deal with the anger and the resentment that will undoubtedly follow, and I am really, genuinely puzzled. I got into the ECE field because I absolutely adore children (and before you bring on the "Oh, you must be so young; we'll talk to you in a year," card, I'm in my 40s and I have three young children of my own, 9, newly 7, and 3). I realized when I started doing field placements that all parents - well, most parents do their utmost for their children with the often limited knowledge and - resources they have at their disposal. I figured, since I'm not all that special, that most ECEs/ECE students/professional childcare providers feel the same way.

But then on this forum, all I ever see is complaining. Snarky comments about daycare parents. Derogatory statements about daycare parents' parenting ideas. Long, elaborate descriptions of terribly behaved young children. It's all so, so, so negative that it saddens me. Come on. It can't be all bad. If this whole deal stinks so bad, why are you here? Why are you still doing this? Why are you not a greeter at Walmart, an employee at Subway, an up-and-coming actress?
Unless it's a misery-loves-company thing.

So talk to me. Help me understand, because I don't want to end up jaded and cynical and impatient with tiny humans who need our assistance while they are attempting to make sense of this world.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello,

Disclaimer right off the bat: I mean not offense to anyone in particular. I'm just puzzled and confused in general.
Reading on these message boards, the main thing I derive from the threads is that most of you feel parents are a pain in the backside; kids are difficult, snotty, snooty, spoiled, or annoying; things would be so much better if parents just gave up their own silly ideas and followed your rules and guidelines; and generally, running a home daycare is just one small step short of the seventh circle of hell.

Is it really that bad? I'm not a troll; I am actually a fairly long-time member studying to get my ECE diploma right now, and this is truly not an attempt to cause trouble. I'm just really not prepared to deal with the anger and the resentment that will undoubtedly follow, and I am really, genuinely puzzled. I got into the ECE field because I absolutely adore children (and before you bring on the "Oh, you must be so young; we'll talk to you in a year," card, I'm in my 40s and I have three young children of my own, 9, newly 7, and 3). I realized when I started doing field placements that all parents - well, most parents do their utmost for their children with the often limited knowledge and - resources they have at their disposal. I figured, since I'm not all that special, that most ECEs/ECE students/professional childcare providers feel the same way.

But then on this forum, all I ever see is complaining. Snarky comments about daycare parents. Derogatory statements about daycare parents' parenting ideas. Long, elaborate descriptions of terribly behaved young children. It's all so, so, so negative that it saddens me. Come on. It can't be all bad. If this whole deal stinks so bad, why are you here? Why are you still doing this? Why are you not a greeter at Walmart, an employee at Subway, an up-and-coming actress?
Unless it's a misery-loves-company thing.

So talk to me. Help me understand, because I don't want to end up jaded and cynical and impatient with tiny humans who need our assistance while they are attempting to make sense of this world.
Why would we come here to talk about the ones that we DON'T have problems with? You're reading here about the worst of the worst. The ones that we come here to vent about to avoid exploding. I have some GREAT kids and GREAT parents-I don't feel the urge to come on a forum to talk about the kid who listened when I asked him not to jump on the furniture or to complain about the parent that always picks up 15 minutes early.

I, along with most everyone here (I believe), love my job. I love the kids I care for, and I genuinely like the parents. It's when they tick me off or I chose the wrong family to enroll that you'll see me here complaining.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Here's the thing though. It doesn't sound like it's exceptions. It comes across as every parent, every child, every day. And if it comes across like that to me, odds are that it does to childcare parents, or prospective childcare parents, as well. Nobody ever starts a thread with, "I love this job, I'm so glad I chose it; however, there is this one family/child/situation I have an issue with." It's always, "parents do this;children do that; nobody ever listens when I say this, that, or the other."
You may not see it because you have been in this business for so long. We tend to overlook things that are either not useful, or downright painful for us to face. But trust me when I say that this whole forum comes across as incredibly unkind and uncharitable to both daycare parents and daycare children alike.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2015, 09:01 PM
Febby's Avatar
Febby Febby is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 483
Default

I don't think it comes across as unkind necessarily. I think it's more of "a lot of parents will do _________ if you let them which is why I have a policy that says ______________" And it seems like there is always that one family (hopefully it's only one!) that for some reason just doesn't seem to get it.

I used to work in the horse industry and there were a lot the same problems there. A lot of people didn't read contracts, tried to pay late, didn't provide the items they were supposed to, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2015, 02:17 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

It's because this is mostly where people vent or need help solving problems so that is the part you mostly see. People tend to not write about the good things because good things don't upset them.

Then there are a few providers from time to time who aren't in this profession for the long haul or have just chosen the wrong career. It happens so you see their angst here.

Then there is the fact that you have not actually done it yourself yet on your own (no matter what your age). I think you'll 'get' this forum after you do.

I am retired now after 20 years of doing this and I feel it was the most rewarding profession I could have picked. I did something truly important. It's weird because I feel this way and don't see this forum as being negative. Stick around for at least a year after you start doing childcare on your own and I bet your perception will be different.

Like someone else said, it happens in other jobs as well. I'd say all jobs. People just complain about the parts that they don't like but don't mention the parts they do. It is human nature. No mystery there.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2015, 03:03 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,391
Default

The challenging dcps and dcks are the ones that rile us and the ones we need help with. Yes, we're going to come here and complain, vent, rant, and beg for help. A lot of us work alone, some don't have significant others to talk to, some do but they don't want to complain to them or they won't listen. DCproviders NEED some place to open up to others who can offer advice, a 'been there done that and this is what worked' outlet. Isn't it better to let off steam somewhere than to keep it all inside and make ourselves sick?
I think daycare is an under-respected profession, thankless, used and abused by many dcfs and some of us are reaching out for appreciation and validation.
It may very well come off as a bunch of dcproviders who hate their job, especially on any certain given day. But if you keep reading, there are also those who love their kids, take special care, go above and beyond, do special things, love their dcfs, etc., etc.
I have said on the forums, more than once, that I wish everyone had parents like mine. And as for the kids, I love all my kids, even the 1 I have so many issues with. She'll be leaving in the fall for all day prek and I've had her since she was 3 months old. As crazy insane as she makes me some days, I'm going to miss her so much.
Fact is, childcare is a very stressful job and as I said, if we didn't have somewhere to vent, we'd all be sick or in therapy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 AM
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia is offline
Blossoms Blooming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the wind goes.....
Posts: 2,379
Default

There's a whole sticky thread "The Positive Thread ", that has hundreds of inspiring, uplifting and positive comments. Please visit it.

This is largely a problem solving forum for providers. It does contain some venting, most of tbe vents are completely appropriate. I have long advocated for using appropriate wording.......and I do NOT approve of providers who use terms like spoiled brats, special snowflake, etc to describe kids. This is a public forum, visited by parents, that represents our industry to the world. Same goes for parent issues. No parent deserves to be called names. While some may feel this job would be great if not for the parents, I don't agree. Parents pay my bills and I am grateful for the opportunity to serve families.

I do love kids, my job, my cute historic center. But we all have issues we need help with, and this forum is a great resource. To categorize many of us as mean spirited or jaded is not fair. I also dislike sweeping generalization about providers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

I agree with the others. Many of us use this forum as a place to get advice from others about situations we are having. Therefore, you will hear a lot of negative because we are asking for help here. There are positive posts, and I think all of us as providers love and care for the children in our care. That is part of the reason you see so many posts asking for help to avoid terminating families. And we are human, there are going to be kids from time to time we don't connect well with. It happens to everyone, even teachers. You will find providers venting about that. Then there are some kids and parents who are just a pain in the backside. Usually when it is the child, the behavior can be linked right back to the parent.

At the end of the day, the venting you see has very little to do with if we like (even love in many cases) the children, and more to do with the day to day stresses of the job, those come with any job no matter how much you like it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I love this forum and have learned so much from it. The venting is relatable, so it can be fun to read and realize other people are having the same issues as you are and a lot of those issues are pretty common in the industry. I love my job, but I can't sit and vent to my kiddos, so coming on here for advice, support, to vent, is a really great outlet!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2015, 08:51 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I love this forum and have learned so much from it. The venting is relatable, so it can be fun to read and realize other people are having the same issues as you are and a lot of those issues are pretty common in the industry. I love my job, but I can't sit and vent to my kiddos, so coming on here for advice, support, to vent, is a really great outlet!
this is so true.....we don't have other people to bounce ideas off of or to relate to what we are going through...this is it...

Until you have done this yourself you don't understand it. This profession can be very lonely and take you down if you don't find solutions to your problems.

Just like every other field, issues come up. Daycare.com is our support system that we come to and talk over the water cooler.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM
NightOwl's Avatar
NightOwl NightOwl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,716
Default

It's all about perception. You perceive this forum as negative and snarky, which can be true, but for good reason. It's far better for us to get out our negative/snarky comments here than to do it in front of dcps, don't you think? This is, for the vast majority of us, the only place where we can vent and complain without worrying about losing a client or losing their respect. Most of us work alone, so there's no coworkers to gripe to.

Don't get discouraged. At the end of the day, I'm very happy with the decisions I've made that brought me to this profession. Sure it has its challenges, but wouldn't it be boring if it didn't?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,986
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello,

Disclaimer right off the bat: I mean not offense to anyone in particular. I'm just puzzled and confused in general.
Reading on these message boards, the main thing I derive from the threads is that most of you feel parents are a pain in the backside; kids are difficult, snotty, snooty, spoiled, or annoying; things would be so much better if parents just gave up their own silly ideas and followed your rules and guidelines; and generally, running a home daycare is just one small step short of the seventh circle of hell.

Is it really that bad? I'm not a troll; I am actually a fairly long-time member studying to get my ECE diploma right now, and this is truly not an attempt to cause trouble. I'm just really not prepared to deal with the anger and the resentment that will undoubtedly follow, and I am really, genuinely puzzled. I got into the ECE field because I absolutely adore children (and before you bring on the "Oh, you must be so young; we'll talk to you in a year," card, I'm in my 40s and I have three young children of my own, 9, newly 7, and 3). I realized when I started doing field placements that all parents - well, most parents do their utmost for their children with the often limited knowledge and - resources they have at their disposal. I figured, since I'm not all that special, that most ECEs/ECE students/professional childcare providers feel the same way.

But then on this forum, all I ever see is complaining. Snarky comments about daycare parents. Derogatory statements about daycare parents' parenting ideas. Long, elaborate descriptions of terribly behaved young children. It's all so, so, so negative that it saddens me. Come on. It can't be all bad. If this whole deal stinks so bad, why are you here? Why are you still doing this? Why are you not a greeter at Walmart, an employee at Subway, an up-and-coming actress?
Unless it's a misery-loves-company thing.

So talk to me. Help me understand, because I don't want to end up jaded and cynical and impatient with tiny humans who need our assistance while they are attempting to make sense of this world.
Not sure what forum threads you are reading but I read every day about providers asking for tips, tricks, suggestions and support in finding ways to:

make their environments better for the kids, set up sensory bins, organize paperwork, fit in training courses, adjust sleep schedules, help a toddler learn not to hit/bite, word their policies better, get a newbie adjusted, stop a child from throwing tantrums, meal and snack ideas, stay within ratios, become licensed, certified, accredited, earn their ECE degree, find info about CDA, proper diaper changing routines, cloth diapering, saving money, get new clients, keep current clients, term a client nicely, toilet train a child, find craft ideas, plan parties, prepare advertising materials, gift giving options, find grant options, how work state assistance programs, how to participate with QRIS in their state, how to be more Reggio, Montessori, organic etc within their programs, set up their homes so that families feel welcome, contact CPS or DHS or licensing, how to maintain a sense of business owner, parent, caregiver and friend all at the same time.......etc

Every single day I read posts from providers asking/advising others how to be better at those things. In the midst of all that, I do read negatives now and then but the negative posts are pretty few and between. At least from my perspective.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia is offline
Blossoms Blooming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the wind goes.....
Posts: 2,379
Default

I just re-read the original post.

The line "why don't you be walmart greeters or work at a subway....." is SUPER insulting, and honestly, the most negative comment I've seen in a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-21-2015, 12:47 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I will say this....anyone who does not complain about their lives or jobs is lying. No one has a perfect anything.....

I guess I should not say complain, but maybe vent, open up, look for ideas, try to find solutions.

Until you work in this field first hand, you won't be able to understand what we go through.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-21-2015, 12:53 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,360
Default

And IMO most posts are requests for help with something. People generally don't ask for help with things they don't need help with, so the vast majority of "positive" things aren't ever mentioned. I'll bet for every "Help me with this terrible ________" post there are 3-4 "I'm great at ____________" posts that are never created.

Like someone else said, it's human nature to focus on what needs to be fixed, rather than what's working well.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-21-2015, 01:59 PM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
I just re-read the original post.

The line "why don't you be walmart greeters or work at a subway....." is SUPER insulting, and honestly, the most negative comment I've seen in a long time.
I didnt appreciate this comment either.......

Come back when you have worked all day every day for at least a couple years and see how you feel then. It doesn't have anything to do with your age. Perspective will change after you have the sole responsibility of caring for children day in and day out.....it is not the same thing as parenting your own 3. If you still don't like the forum, start a different one. Do whatever you want. But don't expect an entire forum to change here just because your perceive it as negative.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
I didnt appreciate this comment either.......

Come back when you have worked all day every day for at least a couple years and see how you feel then. It doesn't have anything to do with your age. Perspective will change after you have the sole responsibility of caring for children day in and day out.....it is not the same thing as parenting your own 3. If you still don't like the forum, start a different one. Do whatever you want. But don't expect an entire forum to change here just because your perceive it as negative.
......as of the last few years, its the kids that are easy and parents that are difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why are you not a greeter at Walmart, an employee at Subway, an up-and-coming actress?
This is perceived as offensive? I tossed out the first three random jobs I could think of, considering I had Subway for dinner, had gone to Walmart for some shopping before picking up my kids, and was skimming over a thread on the latest up-and-comers in Hollywood on E.T. or some such site while wondering about whether or not to write this thread. I see absolutely nothing offensive about it. I named three different professions, all three in the forefront of my mind at that particular moment. Why would it be offensive to be a greeter at Walmart, or to have a job at Subway?

I will say this, even though I disagree rather vehemently with the picture you all paint of this forum, I love the way you are sticking up for each other. The sense of community is nice. I would have loved some input from parents on this though. I'm curious about their take on it.

Do I expect, or even want, this forum to change? Um, no, and I don't believe I have stated that anywhere. I said I was honestly curious about why there was so much negativity. You all answered with your thoughts on it, which I appreciate. Did it change my perception? No, it did not, because the way people describe the threads here is vastly different from the way they come across when you actually read them. And that's okay, because the beauty of the internet is that you can just close a page when you don't feel like reading it anymore.

Like I said, I truly appreciate everybody's input. I ask one courtesy though: instead of automatically assuming that something is meant to be offensive, why not just ask for clarification?

Oh, and one more thing: I work 40 hours a week. In a daycare facility. Just thought I'd mention it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 PM
Silly Songs's Avatar
Silly Songs Silly Songs is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 654
Default

I remember when I first started reading these threads / posts . Some of the discussions seemed a bit snarky , unflattering to parents. Now I just skip over the discussions I see as upsetting to me . It's not worth it to argue viewpoints. But I will step up and say something if I feel a poster is being downright mean about the child . It has rarely been a problem .
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia is offline
Blossoms Blooming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the wind goes.....
Posts: 2,379
Default

Why would you suggest ANY alternate employment options, especially minimum wage jobs that require no skills or education? It didn't seem relevant to your question. It's offensive because it implies we are better suited to work at low level jobs, and have no business caring for children or owning our own businesses. As a person with an advanced degree and a large amount of cash invested in a licensed facility, I didn't appreciate it.

Please link specific posts that have struck you as particularly snarky and derogatory, and demonstrate how clearly we all hate our jobs. I'm sure those posters would be happy to provide you with some clarification.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-22-2015, 05:43 AM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,415
Default

Working at a daycare is STILL not the same thing as running your own in-home. Again, come back and see how you feel when you have actually done our job. Right now you are doing about half of the job, unless you are also the owner and manager of the daycare which it doesnt sound like. Trust me, it is not the same thing at all.

Good luck to you.

I know I sound snarky but this is after years of people thinking my job is so cushy. I have had a number of people see what I do and think "hey I can do that"......none have lasted over one year. I do not complain/vent/or really discuss my job at all but for this one forum and a select few local provider friends. That is all I have for support.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is perceived as offensive? I tossed out the first three random jobs I could think of, considering I had Subway for dinner, had gone to Walmart for some shopping before picking up my kids, and was skimming over a thread on the latest up-and-comers in Hollywood on E.T. or some such site while wondering about whether or not to write this thread. I see absolutely nothing offensive about it. I named three different professions, all three in the forefront of my mind at that particular moment. Why would it be offensive to be a greeter at Walmart, or to have a job at Subway?

I will say this, even though I disagree rather vehemently with the picture you all paint of this forum, I love the way you are sticking up for each other. The sense of community is nice. I would have loved some input from parents on this though. I'm curious about their take on it.

Do I expect, or even want, this forum to change? Um, no, and I don't believe I have stated that anywhere. I said I was honestly curious about why there was so much negativity. You all answered with your thoughts on it, which I appreciate. Did it change my perception? No, it did not, because the way people describe the threads here is vastly different from the way they come across when you actually read them. And that's okay, because the beauty of the internet is that you can just close a page when you don't feel like reading it anymore.

Like I said, I truly appreciate everybody's input. I ask one courtesy though: instead of automatically assuming that something is meant to be offensive, why not just ask for clarification?

Oh, and one more thing: I work 40 hours a week. In a daycare facility. Just thought I'd mention it.
I don't mean this rudely but what difference does it make?

From my experience on this board, parents rarely visit. There are lots of mommy groups and parenting sites to seek advice, support and information from. Yes, there are a few parents that do visit and even a few that stay on as long term members but rarely if ever has this board been aimed at parental support.

It's a daycare board. ALL About daycare.

As a provider daycare consumes a HUGE portion of my life.

As a parent, daycare is a small portion of the big picture.

So obviously you are going to see 100 providers weigh in on something before you see 1 parent give input.

Posting about parental perspectives when providers vent is like going on a motorcycle forum and complaining that they aren't covering topics like cake decorating or lawn mowing.

Also, like someone else pointed out...perspective is different and unique to everyone. It's pretty clear that you are in the minority in perceiving this forum to be negative. So maybe, (and AGAIN I do NOT mean this rudely) but just maybe the negativity is YOUR perception and not necessarily the way everyone else views this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 PM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 791
Default

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge ,support and ideas for running a happy daycare home.I am at the end of my carreer(30 yrs). I have found the people posting for the most part very helpful.When you work caring for non-related children in your home it can be very difficult.Having this site to come to for good and bad (hard)issues is wonderful. As another poster noted the issues often discussed are the tough ones(crying babies ,late parents ,meshing our homes and families with the childcare ect) .The easy times we do not have to discuss as much. The original poster will see if she runs her childcare at home how challenging it can be. The other day my Grandson was talking to his mom.He started his conversation with "no offence Mom but" my daughter stopped him right there and stated"honey if you start with "no offence "then you know that what you are about to say is offensive.She had a point. I think most people who run a family childcare care about the children and familes they care for.That doesn't mean every day is a piece of cake. I am sure parents get sick of the rules and wish we would just do our job. My clients all had time off paid and new before signing contracts what was expected. In 30 yrs I only had to term 2 children .
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You know what, I think I've gotten about all that I will out of this question. I asked why there was so much negativity and snarkiness, and basically most of the answers either denied the negativity or added more snarkiness.

Quote:
As a parent, daycare is a small portion of the big picture.
If you really believe that, you are so misguided it's not even funny.

Cheerfuldom, I do not appreciate your derogatory attitude. You have no idea what my day entails. You wouldn't appreciate me saying, "Gee, spending the whole day in your own comfortable home, making up your own rules, that sounds like SUCH a hardship," so please do not judge my job without having any clue whatsoever.

I am in the field of early childhood education because I truly love young children and want to help educate them and support their families. I am obviously cut from a different cloth than you home daycare providers. I wish you all the very best in your business endeavors, and I thank you for the illuminating answers.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

To the OP, I have read through many of the threads and I have seen both positive and negative. IMO, it is the nature of what we do. I worked in childcare centers for years at the beginning of my career, before I got my Master's Degree.

Working in a center is challenging in it's own right. There are still challenging behaviors and challenging parents, but I had support. I could refer an angry parent to the director. I didn't have to worry about my paycheck. And I could go home at the end of the day and stop working. I miss the 40 hour work week and talking to my co workers.

Since I started my own home based preschool and childcare, typically, I work from 6:30 a.m-6:00 pm providing direct services to kids. I spend an additional 15-20 hours a week outside of these hours updating my website, marketing, returning potential client calls, preparing paperwork for client packets, working on payroll, filing for taxes, food program paperwork, lesson planning, billing, and more. My work weeks are long so I do vent. Daycare.com is an amazing resource for providers and has helped me to troubleshoot more than one difficult situation with a client.

Are there negative threads on here? I am sure. We all have rough weeks. And 70-80 hour work weeks take a toll. Working with young children is exceptionally rewarding work, but it is also challenging at times. Having a community to share the good and bad with, whether online or off, helps caregivers continue to do the important work they do each day.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-23-2015, 03:31 AM
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia is offline
Blossoms Blooming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the wind goes.....
Posts: 2,379
Default

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-23-2015, 03:33 AM
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia is offline
Blossoms Blooming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the wind goes.....
Posts: 2,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
To the OP, I have read through many of the threads and I have seen both positive and negative. IMO, it is the nature of what we do. I worked in childcare centers for years at the beginning of my career, before I got my Master's Degree.

Working in a center is challenging in it's own right. There are still challenging behaviors and challenging parents, but I had support. I could refer an angry parent to the director. I didn't have to worry about my paycheck. And I could go home at the end of the day and stop working. I miss the 40 hour work week and talking to my co workers.

Since I started my own home based preschool and childcare, typically, I work from 6:30 a.m-6:00 pm providing direct services to kids. I spend an additional 15-20 hours a week outside of these hours updating my website, marketing, returning potential client calls, preparing paperwork for client packets, working on payroll, filing for taxes, food program paperwork, lesson planning, billing, and more. My work weeks are long so I do vent. Daycare.com is an amazing resource for providers and has helped me to troubleshoot more than one difficult situation with a client.

Are there negative threads on here? I am sure. We all have rough weeks. And 70-80 hour work weeks take a toll. Working with young children is exceptionally rewarding work, but it is also challenging at times. Having a community to share the good and bad with, whether online or off, helps caregivers continue to do the important work they do each day.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-23-2015, 04:20 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

I am in the field of early childhood education because I truly love young children and want to help educate them and support their families. I am obviously cut from a different cloth than you home daycare providers. I wish you all the very best in your business endeavors, and I thank you for the illuminating answers.
Umm, you're painting everyone with a very broad stroke and putting yourself above and beyond the group of providers here. Totally unfair and self-righteous. Sorry, I don't speak my mind all that often but had to speak up on this comment.

I think you'd find the majority of us doing this profession because of our love of children. I say that because no matter what profession you pick, you're going to find the unhappy and the disgruntled. A lot of people here have a college education, years and years of experience, take trainings and workshops. Most of us(Never say all) are not uneducated. I have done this for 30+ years. Sure, there have been times when it was too trying to feel I could make it another day. Did I bitch? Sure! Do I still bitch? Sure! But I wouldn't trade this profession with any other.

The thing about forums and the written word altogether is that so much can be read between the lines. So much misinterpretation. And it seems like it's easier to offend people that way.

IF you find these forums to be hateful towards families and children, that's sad. As everywhere on the internet(and quite often in the real world) I tend to ignore what ticks me off, makes me feel hurt, sad angry or bad. I take what helps and leave the rest. Ok, well except your one comment.

We're trying to help you see we do love the dcks and dcfs(most of the time ) even though we have to let off steam. You're here to tell us we appear like a hateful group. Maybe we can all just agree to disagree........nicely.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-23-2015, 05:41 AM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You know what, I think I've gotten about all that I will out of this question. I asked why there was so much negativity and snarkiness, and basically most of the answers either denied the negativity or added more snarkiness.

If you really believe that, you are so misguided it's not even funny.

Cheerfuldom, I do not appreciate your derogatory attitude. You have no idea what my day entails. You wouldn't appreciate me saying, "Gee, spending the whole day in your own comfortable home, making up your own rules, that sounds like SUCH a hardship," so please do not judge my job without having any clue whatsoever.

I am in the field of early childhood education because I truly love young children and want to help educate them and support their families. I am obviously cut from a different cloth than you home daycare providers. I wish you all the very best in your business endeavors, and I thank you for the illuminating answers.
omg. hilariously self righteous.

I do have a clue what your job entails. Many of us here are educated and have or do work in centers. We know what your job is for goodness sakes and we know what ours is as well. If anyone is only seeing half the picture, it is you because you have not run your own in home daycare yet. Have fun joining the real world. Please do come back in a couple years and update us. Seriously you would be welcome. you will need the support at that point. Godd luck to you.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-23-2015, 06:01 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

I think we've been had.

When my son was a teen (he told me this years later when the statue of limitations had run out ) that he used to go on forums and try to get people upset for his amusement. He turned out to be an upstanding citizen though.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I think we've been had.

When my son was a teen (he told me this years later when the statue of limitations had run out ) that he used to go on forums and try to get people upset for his amusement. He turned out to be an upstanding citizen though.

Laurel
Lol. I could actually see my 16 year old doing this.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-23-2015, 07:15 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

If you really believe that, you are so misguided it's not even funny.
I didn't say it wasnt important to them.
I said daycare is only part of a family's bigger picture. Its not who they are.

Daycare families dont go about their evenings/weekends thinking about their provider.

Yet a majority of providers spend a large portion of their off hours thinking about and taking care of daycare. Putting things away and cleaning up from one day while simultaneously preparing and planning for the next. The lists are endless.

Daycare families pick their kids up at the end of the day and probably don't think about daycare again until they need to drop their child back off again on Monday

.....but its not the same for providers....They are ususally consumed with anything daycare related 24/7 whether or not they are open or off.

Daycare clients dont do that.
They are not consumed with all things daycare all the time.

That was the point I was trying to make which you obviously misinterpreted.

ANOTHER example of different perceptions.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-23-2015, 09:20 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I didn't say it wasnt important to them.
I said daycare is only part of a family's bigger picture. Its not who they are.

Daycare families dont go about their evenings/weekends thinking about their provider.

Yet a majority of providers spend a large portion of their off hours thinking about and taking care of daycare. Putting things away and cleaning up from one day while simultaneously preparing and planning for the next. The lists are endless.

Daycare families pick their kids up at the end of the day and probably don't think about daycare again until they need to drop their child back off again on Monday

.....but its not the same for providers....They are ususally consumed with anything daycare related 24/7 whether or not they are open or off.

Daycare clients dont do that.
They are not consumed with all things daycare all the time.

That was the point I was trying to make which you obviously misinterpreted.

ANOTHER example of different perceptions.
This is so true.

It's kind of hard not to think about my daycare kids and families when my entire house excluding bedrooms is daycare.

Or when I'm grocery shopping on Sunday for their meals

Or painting over all the finger prints on Saturday from all of our fun.

We are assumed by our business. I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it. But don't compare it when you haven't lived it.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
Lol. I could actually see my 16 year old doing this.


The only thing I remember doing that was similar as a preteen/teen is making prank calls to people. A group of us girls would sometimes do it at slumber parties.

Way back then there used to be chewing tobacco in a can called Prince Albert. We would call and ask a drug store if they had Prince Albert in a can. When they would say yes we would say "Would you please let him out?" Then there was the one that would go "Is your refrigerator running?" "Yes? Well than you'd better go catch it."

What a bunch of nerds we were!

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-20-2015, 07:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I completely 100% agree with OP. You all sound self righteous.
"This parent is lazy because they don't sleep train".
"Can you believe these parents going on vacation without their child?!"
"Day off work and child is still at daycare?"
"Parent is lazy because of A,B, or C".

You all seem to feel pretty entitled to judge what these parents (who are paying your bills, mind you) do. Who cares if they had a day off work & they're child is in daycare? Your still getting paid it's really NONE of your business. You all must really have a sad, lonely life if you spend your free time on a forum constantly COMPLAINING about your job. (Which you are an expert at of course because you always know more than those "annoying parents")

Truly i feel terrible for all of you and your sad existence.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-20-2015, 10:01 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I completely 100% agree with OP. You all sound self righteous.
"This parent is lazy because they don't sleep train".
"Can you believe these parents going on vacation without their child?!"
"Day off work and child is still at daycare?"
"Parent is lazy because of A,B, or C".

You all seem to feel pretty entitled to judge what these parents (who are paying your bills, mind you) do. Who cares if they had a day off work & they're child is in daycare? Your still getting paid it's really NONE of your business. You all must really have a sad, lonely life if you spend your free time on a forum constantly COMPLAINING about your job. (Which you are an expert at of course because you always know more than those "annoying parents")

Truly i feel terrible for all of you and your sad existence.
Go back and read your statements in parentheses again. Seriously, be happy if your childcare provider cares about the first three things. It means they care about YOUR child. You should be worried if they don't.

I'll give you an example from my setting. I have a little boy enrolled. He's here 50 hours a week. He's the first one here and the last to leave. Kids start leaving at 4 pm. Every time there is a knock on the door, he runs to the door and says "mommy, mommy!" But he is never the first one to be picked up. I feel bummed out with him. His mom does get off early sometimes but never picks up early.

Personally, I could care less if a parent uses every minute of time they pay for. It doesn't affect me. However, it really bothers me to see a child so upset. They have fun at school but they love their parents. If I'm venting, it's because I care about the kids I teach.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 AM
Indoorvoice's Avatar
Indoorvoice Indoorvoice is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 833
Default

There is no rule on this forum saying we as providers can't complain here. I sometimes come here to complain because I need to get things off my chest and find advice about how to handle situations that arise professionally without hurting the rapport I have with my families. This is a safe place to do it because most of us remain nameless and faceless and it ends up hurting no one. The only reason I can think of why someone would come to a forum specifically for daycare providers and complain about daycare providers complaining is because they are repeat offenders of the things we are talking about. If there is another logical, helpful reason, please feel free to enlighten me respectfully. If you don't like what you read here, and you don't have any advice to help us through what we are going through, then I'm sure there are lots of other forums on the vast Internet where you can bash your daycare providers. I've had many parents and providers alike on this forum offer me different views and opinions on things I complain about without being disrespectful and I welcome that! Sometimes I need to hear a different way of thinking about something. But complaining to daycare providers about our complaints, is just pointless. Why can't we complain? Who is it hurting?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM
happymom happymom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,162
Default

I just want to jump in, I'm pretty new to the forum and not particularly active. I've had my son in child care for 3 years and that's about all the experience with it I have had.

I believe parents should be respectful to the people who are caring for their children and do their best to make care providers job as easy as possible with an open line of communication. It's important for the care provider to pick out families with care and draw lines when it comes to contracts and late fees and tolorating unwanted behavior (from both parents and their children).

I don't see this as one big huge b*tch-fest. Even as someone who is not in the profession of being a child care provider, I find some of the vents entertaining to read and the solutions helpful to me as a parent. I do see the occasional recommendation for someone to term a dck or family that seems a bit harsh, but heck, it's just advice. It's YOUR business, you run it the way you need to (within reason of course --keep the kids safe).
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:48 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,986
Default Looks like some one needs a hug....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I completely 100% agree with OP. You all sound self righteous.
"This parent is lazy because they don't sleep train".
"Can you believe these parents going on vacation without their child?!"
"Day off work and child is still at daycare?"
"Parent is lazy because of A,B, or C".

You all seem to feel pretty entitled to judge what these parents (who are paying your bills, mind you) do. Who cares if they had a day off work & they're child is in daycare? Your still getting paid it's really NONE of your business. You all must really have a sad, lonely life if you spend your free time on a forum constantly COMPLAINING about your job. (Which you are an expert at of course because you always know more than those "annoying parents")

Truly i feel terrible for all of you and your sad existence.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-21-2015, 12:23 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Lol BC. I always enjoy your posts. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice View Post
The only reason I can think of why someone would come to a forum specifically for daycare providers and complain about daycare providers complaining is because they are repeat offenders of the things we are talking about.
I came here because I am going back to work & my child will be starting daycare soon and I am completely disgusted with all of the judgmental, negative comments.

You guys do realize you are in the service industry right? You guys even get to pick your "customers" but yet here you are complaining and nitpicking at every little thing that is not done EXACTLY how you would do it. I get it your house your rules but you have no right to judge or make any comments about your "customers" personal parenting choices unless their child is in danger.

The things I have seen posted in here are outright rude.
You may think you are doing these "annoying parents" a favor by watching their children so they can work (or not work if they so please) but they are paying your bills & you should show the same respect you would like to receive.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-21-2015, 10:39 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I came here because I am going back to work & my child will be starting daycare soon and I am completely disgusted with all of the judgmental, negative comments.

You guys do realize you are in the service industry right? You guys even get to pick your "customers" but yet here you are complaining and nitpicking at every little thing that is not done EXACTLY how you would do it. I get it your house your rules but you have no right to judge or make any comments about your "customers" personal parenting choices unless their child is in danger.

The things I have seen posted in here are outright rude.
You may think you are doing these "annoying parents" a favor by watching their children so they can work (or not work if they so please) but they are paying your bills & you should show the same respect you would like to receive.
On either side of this fence, it's really easy to get caught up in your own perspective. I have 4 kids of my own. All 4 have been in childcare, preschool, and after school care. To be honest, I really didn't get it until I did this job either.

Let's get real about a few things to start with . . . Everyone has things about their job they don't like. I have friends that are physicians assistants, nurses, etc. All love their job and all could still tell some wild stories about things they've seen and patients that have made their jobs stressful.

I work 80 hours a week. That's a long week, even when everything is going great. So when I have parents who forgets to pay or forgets to tell me that junior wearing underwear, and I end up with a mess on my carpet, I do get a little grumpy. I imagine you would too. I enjoy teaching preschool, and love working with the kiddos.
Most of us do. It's why we got into the profession.

Don't let the venting color your perspective on the profession. Working with groups of little people is a tough but rewarding profession. We all need to vent sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-22-2015, 03:05 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,391
Default

I always find it ironic that the ones who are being honest and real, come with a name. The ones who are being self-righteous, mean, judgmental, are the ones that hide behind unregistered.

And BC, that was really cute.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 AM
mommyneedsadayoff's Avatar
mommyneedsadayoff mommyneedsadayoff is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I came here because I am going back to work & my child will be starting daycare soon and I am completely disgusted with all of the judgmental, negative comments.

You guys do realize you are in the service industry right? You guys even get to pick your "customers" but yet here you are complaining and nitpicking at every little thing that is not done EXACTLY how you would do it. I get it your house your rules but you have no right to judge or make any comments about your "customers" personal parenting choices unless their child is in danger.

The things I have seen posted in here are outright rude.
You may think you are doing these "annoying parents" a favor by watching their children so they can work (or not work if they so please) but they are paying your bills & you should show the same respect you would like to receive.

Maybe a board for parents with kids in daycare would be a better fit for you. Then you can vent about your provider and ask other parents for their experience with daycare and advice on how to handle daycare situations. I am sure all of the parents will only say nice things about their daycare and their provider. They probably never complain and ask why they still have to pay when their kid is out sick, ect.

This forum is mostly providers and many of them are parents and so the discussion tend to be about our jobs and out families. If they are not always pretty, then so be it, but at least they are real conversations with real perspectives and I have really loved being a part of it. Daycare can be a lonely job when you are the only adult surrounded by kid, so this forum is like having a friend at your fingertips.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Indoorvoice's Avatar
Indoorvoice Indoorvoice is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I came here because I am going back to work & my child will be starting daycare soon and I am completely disgusted with all of the judgmental, negative comments.

You guys do realize you are in the service industry right? You guys even get to pick your "customers" but yet here you are complaining and nitpicking at every little thing that is not done EXACTLY how you would do it. I get it your house your rules but you have no right to judge or make any comments about your "customers" personal parenting choices unless their child is in danger.

The things I have seen posted in here are outright rude.
You may think you are doing these "annoying parents" a favor by watching their children so they can work (or not work if they so please) but they are paying your bills & you should show the same respect you would like to receive.
What do you suggest? If you want daycare providers to just bend over backwards and succumb to every wish of every parent, then there won't be many good providers left for you to choose from.

All service industry employees complain about customers. I see blogs and posts all the time of waitresses complaining. Do you feel disgusted by these complaints too? Or is it just daycare providers who rub you the wrong the way? It is my experience that people feel we should take what we can get and get treated however people want to treat us because we are supposed to be "doing it for the kids" but no other business runs like this. Not successfully anyway. I'm just wondering your thoughts on this.

Also, you say that we have no right to judge parenting choices, but we are often watching people's children for more hours a day than their parents have them. Those parenting choices directly affect our business, our lives, and the other children we care for. Respectful parents realize this and help us work as a team so everyone benefits. Disrespectful parents view themselves as customers and expect everyone's well-being to be put on hold for their own agenda because they're paying. I urge you to look at other child care solutions if you relate with the latter, because I don't think you will be happy with a group care provider.

You're right that respect is a 2 way street. Just because you see some providers complaining here, does not mean we don't respect our clients. We are just venting like any other employee at any other job because it's common that we are not receiving the same respect you are requesting. Just because you pay for something, does not give you the right to run someone else's business anyway you please, and that is what we are running into.

I started reading this forum when my own dd was in daycare. I found the complaints from providers helpful because I didn't realize some of the things I was doing were not great. I may have felt a little defensive, but sometimes you have to put your feelings aside for the good of the people who are caring for your most precious gift. I hope if you stay here that you can see ourour perspective - that we aren't here complaining to hurt our daycare families, but because sometimes we just need to vent. If you can't see that perspective, then I hope you can find a forum better suited for you. No need to come here and tell us not to complain when this is a support system we obviously need.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 PM
renodeb's Avatar
renodeb renodeb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Here's the thing though. It doesn't sound like it's exceptions. It comes across as every parent, every child, every day. And if it comes across like that to me, odds are that it does to childcare parents, or prospective childcare parents, as well. Nobody ever starts a thread with, "I love this job, I'm so glad I chose it; however, there is this one family/child/situation I have an issue with." It's always, "parents do this;children do that; nobody ever listens when I say this, that, or the other."
You may not see it because you have been in this business for so long. We tend to overlook things that are either not useful, or downright painful for us to face. But trust me when I say that this whole forum comes across as incredibly unkind and uncharitable to both daycare parents and daycare children alike.
Then don't keep posting and hanging around on this forum. It sounds like you have a lot of spare time on your hands. You can't tell me that your the perfect person and nothing ever bothers you! I do love my job but there are still things that bug me. There are in any job I'm sure.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,016
Default

I dare the OP to visit any 'water cooler/break room/lunch room" anywhere...in any state...doing any business....and find one where everyone only spews happy thoughts and tells their co-workers what a wonderful place they work in and how nothing is ever wrong. How they have perfect clients and perfect bosses and that life is rainbows and unicorns....because they "love their job"

This is our water cooler. These are our co-workers. We're normal. We vent. We STILL love our jobs!

I recently lost a baby in my care to SIDS. One of the worst times of my life. I have been a provider for 30 years. The police, licensing department and the parents of the child say I did everything right and it couldn't have been stopped. I am still grieving.

I am crying right now, because the OP has no idea what great people are on this forum. I received SO MUCH SUPPORT it was over-whelming. The providers here have made a HUGE DIFFERENCE in my life....from a good vent, to a good laugh.....to support during a nightmare.

Please don't accuse the providers on here as being anything but supportive and professional.

I happen to love them all dearly.

OP...you don't know the folks on here and obviously do not want to.

Your loss.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 PM
Silly Songs's Avatar
Silly Songs Silly Songs is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 654
Default

[INDENT[/INDENT
Meeko, please don't let some anonymous person hurt you. Trust me, this person is not interested in hearing the good , they just want to complain about what they conclude from reading a little. Take the way the parents of the precious child think of you ! They adore you and know how much you care about the children. Someone who doesn't like children/parents isn't going to last long in childcare. Most of the providers on here really do care about the families and especially the children. How many have talked about giving discounts , giving some families their own children's clothing , cried over children leaving their program? That is the true heart of most of the providers on here. And we all know that even if we sometimes complain and have a rough day, you go back and do it all over again. Because you guys all care. I'm crying for you right now
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-06-2015, 09:36 AM
mom2many's Avatar
mom2many mom2many is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,211
Default

I just read this thread and have to put in my 2 cents.... I've been a provider for almost 30 years and discovered this forum after years of feeling alone and trying to muddle my way through running a daycare in my home. Unfortunately I learned a lot of things the hard way through trial and error. It would have been awesome to come on this forum with questions and concerns, to get input from others on how they'd handle a situation.

I think the OP was way off base in her interpretation of this forum. Yes, I agree their are some negative posts that express frustration or vent about issues with parents or children in their care...but this doesn't mean we don't love what we do. I couldn't have stayed in this profession this many years if I didn't find it both rewarding and enjoyable...but that doesn't mean I haven't had my share of issues with disrespectful parents or a child's behavior from time to time that make me grumble or complain! Experience has enabled me to stay clear of most difficulties, so I rarely have them now.


As others stated, running a home daycare is so much different than being an employee in a center. You only see one aspect of this job.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Can't believe this thread keeps coming back lol. But the OP is obviously only paying attention to the "negative" things he or she speaks of because I do see positive things. Heck over the summer I posted two or three times about my DCB who was staying with his grandmother who was the BEST client I have ever had. I hated to see him go home to mom in another state. He was SA, so hard to keep busy and entertained but not a bad kiddo and grandma was awesome! If the OP wanted to he/she can find plenty of good posts. Meeko don't let some Debbie Downer drag you down.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default In-Home Daycare Provider, Midlothian, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello,

Disclaimer right off the bat: I mean not offense to anyone in particular. I'm just puzzled and confused in general.
Reading on these message boards, the main thing I derive from the threads is that most of you feel parents are a pain in the backside; kids are difficult, snotty, snooty, spoiled, or annoying; things would be so much better if parents just gave up their own silly ideas and followed your rules and guidelines; and generally, running a home daycare is just one small step short of the seventh circle of hell.

Is it really that bad? I'm not a troll; I am actually a fairly long-time member studying to get my ECE diploma right now, and this is truly not an attempt to cause trouble. I'm just really not prepared to deal with the anger and the resentment that will undoubtedly follow, and I am really, genuinely puzzled. I got into the ECE field because I absolutely adore children (and before you bring on the "Oh, you must be so young; we'll talk to you in a year," card, I'm in my 40s and I have three young children of my own, 9, newly 7, and 3). I realized when I started doing field placements that all parents - well, most parents do their utmost for their children with the often limited knowledge and - resources they have at their disposal. I figured, since I'm not all that special, that most ECEs/ECE students/professional childcare providers feel the same way.

But then on this forum, all I ever see is complaining. Snarky comments about daycare parents. Derogatory statements about daycare parents' parenting ideas. Long, elaborate descriptions of terribly behaved young children. It's all so, so, so negative that it saddens me. Come on. It can't be all bad. If this whole deal stinks so bad, why are you here? Why are you still doing this? Why are you not a greeter at Walmart, an employee at Subway, an up-and-coming actress?
Unless it's a misery-loves-company thing.

So talk to me. Help me understand, because I don't want to end up jaded and cynical and impatient with tiny humans who need our assistance while they are attempting to make sense of this world.
Let me start by saying, I would do anything in order to be here with my 2 children. Fortunately for me, I love children and don't mind caring for them. Being the eldest of five, it comes quite naturally and it doesn't hurt that I am blessed with patience. Above all else, I'm grateful for my work - it has afforded me the greatest fringe benefit; the ability to watch, care, teach, and love on my babies every single day of their lives.

I look at parents as my boss - so I have several. As with any boss, they have their days; some more than others but you know come payday, you will get a check, for the agreed upon rate plus any overtime they may have needed/caused. This is where some parents become fools. Whether they conveniently forget, "Oh, I don't have my checkbook", and you have to ask, beg or track em down or they have no money; they are worthy of their paycheck but I am not or they don't want to pay what they own. They may have forgotten Wednesday evening, when I had dinner plans, and they show up 3 hours late , smelling of alcohol. Or that they imposed for just an hour on Sunday and returned 6 hours later but, I remember! The "oh, okay, I'll catch you ...never" routine get old as does, "or you never made me pay extra before!". I'm not an aggressive person. and forgive me but, I get an overwhelming desire to deck them. Not just for the money. Not because they lie or think I'm stupid but for taking advantage of me. It is always the same parent(s). You'd like to quit but by this time, you've fallen in love with the child(ren) and they know this. I excuse their behavior and of course, the abuse escalates.

Weekly pay struggles seem petty when compared to getting paid holidays, sick days, personal leave, and vacation pay. It's the same dance and routine only they want to deck me -lol! My rates are a little lower than the average at $125/week for full-time. That includes 10 paid federal holidays, and sick/personal time when and if taken by the parent and they keep their child home. I do not take vacations for extended periods so I collect my one week paid vacation pay when they go on their first. When they wine about it, I offer them a beer and the $30/day pay as you go plan - I have to lol, then pee my pants!!

I can only speak for myself when I say, I'd much rather deal with 5 children regardless of their health, flip lips or temper tantums than 1 parent who places little value in what I do.

You might to read, "Why We Work" by Barry Schwartz, it's a great book and may shed lite on your questions. Walmart has those horrible blue shirts and there are so many parents there.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Jazzii's Avatar
Jazzii Jazzii is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 76
Default

I think that with most things, there is always more spark when something bad happens versus when something good happens. I love that in my field I am able to see my parents everyday however parents are people and we do butt heads.

At the end of the day everyone is looking out for the child and looking through different lenses. When I spend 8-10 hours daily with your child and notice something only to be fought tooth and nail it's frustrating.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-12-2016, 01:01 PM
SnowGirl's Avatar
SnowGirl SnowGirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 121
Default

Hahaha, I know this thread is old but I just want to say (suggest):

If it's an "unregistered" poster who states "I'm not a troll, but..."...they ARE trolls, or highly ignorant, and not worth our limited time.

I love this forum, I love the community.

I've been a prek teacher before this, and a marketing exec at a software firm, and a line cook at a restaurant. Everyone complains. Human nature! We still love our kids!

I mean, sheesh, just read mommy blogs and try to troll parents about all the complaining they do about their kids!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-12-2016, 01:04 PM
SnowGirl's Avatar
SnowGirl SnowGirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 121
Default

I should add that I am also a mommy blogger, so it's not like I'm talking out of my butt with that comment
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-14-2016, 06:23 PM
renodeb's Avatar
renodeb renodeb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 837
Default

To be honest, I vent a lot but I don't see what is so wrong with that. I do love my job but there are a lot of things about this job that are hard, stressful, frustrating, puzzling, and plain bewildering. I never use names or places when I ask for advice about a certain situation or person. If we can't vent about this job somewhere then we carry it around all bottled up. (not good). I have great clients and kids, don't get me wrong.
Deb
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-14-2016, 06:49 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by renodeb View Post
To be honest, I vent a lot but I don't see what is so wrong with that. I do love my job but there are a lot of things about this job that are hard, stressful, frustrating, puzzling, and plain bewildering. I never use names or places when I ask for advice about a certain situation or person. If we can't vent about this job somewhere then we carry it around all bottled up. (not good). I have great clients and kids, don't get me wrong.
Deb
Not only that, but many times when I vent, I am open to suggestions on how others have solved the issue I am having. if I can find a good solution, I think that is better than letting something simmer.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,207
Default

Maybe we do use this site as a water cooler for shut-ins.

I think many would be shocked to hear a conversation in the break room of public schools.

I love reading the vents about daycare providers on mommy boards. It makes me a better provider. Hope it works in reverse for them here.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Maybe we do use this site as a water cooler for shut-ins.

I think many would be shocked to hear a conversation in the break room of public schools.

I love reading the vents about daycare providers on mommy boards. It makes me a better provider. Hope it works in reverse for them here.
You are killing me, Cat Herder Your posts this week have made me smile.....love your "sarcasm".
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-16-2016, 06:00 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
I just re-read the original post.

The line "why don't you be walmart greeters or work at a subway....." is SUPER insulting, and honestly, the most negative comment I've seen in a long time.
I couldn't agree more! As if either of those jobs is beneath anyone. I think that any job someone does is to be respected. I have said many times that I could not work at Subway to my family when I go there. That is a hard job to remember what goes on every sub there. Seriously!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Mad_Pistachio's Avatar
Mad_Pistachio Mad_Pistachio is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Most of You Feel Parents Are a Pain in the Backside
*in defence of the providers*
because we ARE a pain in the backside! gosh... I mean, take one parent who demands some special treament for a special Snowflake (she likes THIS blankie, and her broccoli cut/served THIS way, and she hates to be told "no," and she sleeps whenever she sleeps, who cares when your nap time is... and so on, and so forth), and then multiply this by the number of children in a group - what, 6-12? - and you got a bunch of hens quacking about their special Snowflakes. then add the parents who want to plop a child in the daycare every day, including Sunday (I know some work Saturdays - and I have no idea how they survive), sick and without an extra diaper or change of clothes... and throw in the ones coming to pick up way too late, not giving a single thought that a provider has a life and needs to clean up after their children...
yes, we ARE a pain in the backside.
you have no idea how enlightening this forum has been for me. some things were, like, "oh, wow, I had no idea that was even an issue!" - which made me, in turn, change a few of my habits. it is beneficial to see the other side of the story, uncomfortable as it may be.

but guess what? we all are pain in other people's tails. one drive down the freeway will give you a few nice examples.

oh, by the way, while I am at it. my DC director's relative
(not sure which one or from which side) just died from cancer, but I did not find out from her (someone just gossipped about that... gross, I know, but I can't UNhear it). do I need to send a card or say something? or will I look like I am spreading that gossip? on one hand, I want to speak up, and on the other, I want to stay out of what's not my business...
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio View Post

but guess what? we all are pain in other people's tails. one drive down the freeway will give you a few nice examples.
LOL I am glad someone was brave enough to say what I have thought every time I read this thread title. Usually I think "not just parents!". Heck hubby is home today, talk about a ginormous pain in the ..... Really I love him but he is under foot!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Mom2Two's Avatar
Mom2Two Mom2Two is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: U. S. A.
Posts: 1,239
Default

Yep, she's a troll. "It's nice how you all stick up for each other" So patronizing! Oh, and by the way I forgot to mention that I work 40 hours a week in a daycare. TROLL!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-29-2016, 02:50 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I couldn't agree more! As if either of those jobs is beneath anyone. I think that any job someone does is to be respected. I have said many times that I could not work at Subway to my family when I go there. That is a hard job to remember what goes on every sub there. Seriously!
I've heard McDonalds used in that comparison so many times. My own dd even used to say she'd never work there as in it's a lowly job. *I* couldn't work there because I couldn't handle everyone barking orders, the stress, facing customers, and my memory is horrible along with my hearing. Every single job needs its own qualifications and I respect each person's job. Most of them I could not do.
Ya know what? I'll bet every one(or 99%) of the population complain at one time or another about the job they do or people they encounter.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
overwhelmed, parents - accusing, troll, trolls who deny being trolls

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Am Terrible At Small Talk... Sunshine74 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 22 01-23-2014 11:56 AM
How Do You Get Parents To Comply With Your Rules And Policies? JLH Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 01-10-2014 10:18 AM
Would You Term A Good Child Due To Bad Parents? PolkaTots Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 01-08-2013 01:22 PM
Question for Parents mac60 Parents and Guardians Forum 24 12-01-2009 12:07 PM
Free the Parents Faja Parents and Guardians Forum 17 09-23-2009 12:21 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming