Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default Diaper Changing Procedures

I am up for audit this year and am just going through my routines and making sure I'm doing everything correctly. We are supposed to (in Michigan) change a baby on basically 2 layers of washable material. I have a more cushioned changing pad with a thin plastic layer on top. What does everyone else use? I'm not totally thrilled with how I have mine. Also we're supposed to have a wastebasket that is lined and covered that can be thrown away every night. I used to do that, but now I have our large garbage can in the garage that I wrap the dirty diaper in a plastic store bag, tie it and immediately throw it in the garbage can in teh garage so it doesn't smell up the house. Do you think that is sufficient?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,199
Default

except to throw it away do you leave the children unattended. In MO I could not go into the garage to throw it away. Personally I would do it just as they say to do it.
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
except to throw it away do you leave the children unattended. In MO I could not go into the garage to throw it away. Personally I would do it just as they say to do it.
I change the kids on the living room floor and I put it in a grocery plastic bag and tie it. Dress the child and then the garage door is about 3 feet away. I don't even have to leave the house, I open the door and toss it into the garbage can.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 AM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,116
Default

I don't want the diaper trash can inside either. Ick. I am working on the licensing process. Someone posted on another thread that the were wrote up because their changing table was right outside the bathroom door and their was even an issue with that. Do you have to be near a sink?

Also, I have one of those curved foam mats. Where do you store yours? I had plans to change diapers on the floor but I don't seem to have a good place to store the mat. I am thinking of going the changing table route.

If you don.'t have to leave the kids, it sounds great to me. Wish I could figure something out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:32 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

I would like a changing table, but I don't have the room and some of the kids that are still in diapers are almost 3, so they are big. My changing pad folds up, so I fold it up and put it in a drawer. In mIchigan you're supposed to have one changing pad on top of another. What does everyone do for that?

oh p.s., my bathroom is way too small to change anyone in. it's just a 1/2 bath.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Crazy In Mo's Avatar
Crazy In Mo Crazy In Mo is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK5kids View Post
I don't want the diaper trash can inside either. Ick. I am working on the licensing process. Someone posted on another thread that the were wrote up because their changing table was right outside the bathroom door and their was even an issue with that. Do you have to be near a sink?

Also, I have one of those curved foam mats. Where do you store yours? I had plans to change diapers on the floor but I don't seem to have a good place to store the mat. I am thinking of going the changing table route.

If you don.'t have to leave the kids, it sounds great to me. Wish I could figure something out.

That was me not only does the changing table have to be near a sink, in my state you are not allowed to walk through a doorway to get to that sink my bathroom is to small for a changing table so looks like ill be doing diaper duty on the floor! Yay(eye roll)!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I change the kids on the living room floor and I put it in a grocery plastic bag and tie it. Dress the child and then the garage door is about 3 feet away. I don't even have to leave the house, I open the door and toss it into the garbage can.
That should work then... the only other question is hand washing of you and the baby. When and where do you do it ? before you toss the trash ? or after. Where do you have to go to wash.
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
That should work then... the only other question is hand washing of you and the baby. When and where do you do it ? before you toss the trash ? or after. Where do you have to go to wash.
I open the door with a wet wipe in my hand and then go to the kitchen to wash my hands. It's all one open room.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:28 PM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Just make sure if you do it on the living room floor that it isn't carpeted. Also I would put a garbage can there, if you change the diaper then in order to throw it away you have to touch the door handle even if you open it with a wipe, they may say something. When I went to my Orientation last month, the consultant said we could have the changing station where ever we wanted, but it has to stay in the same spot. I know that though we have the licensing rules in MI, that different consultants look at them differently, so who knows.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I would like a changing table, but I don't have the room and some of the kids that are still in diapers are almost 3, so they are big. My changing pad folds up, so I fold it up and put it in a drawer. In mIchigan you're supposed to have one changing pad on top of another. What does everyone do for that?

oh p.s., my bathroom is way too small to change anyone in. it's just a 1/2 bath.
Wow, I didn't know we had to put one on top of another. Do you know if we can put wax paper or that paper on a roll on the changing pad instead? I thought the rule R400.1923 (2) (d) meant to have a changing pad on top of a nonabsorbant surface. Such as tile or wood floor. That's why in the previous post I put make sure it's not on carpet. That's the only thing I see related to what the kids can be placed on for diapers. It can be interpreted in different ways.

Last edited by melilley; 01-15-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added to comment
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilley View Post
Just make sure if you do it on the living room floor that it isn't carpeted. Also I would put a garbage can there, if you change the diaper then in order to throw it away you have to touch the door handle even if you open it with a wipe, they may say something. When I went to my Orientation last month, the consultant said we could have the changing station where ever we wanted, but it has to stay in the same spot. I know that though we have the licensing rules in MI, that different consultants look at them differently, so who knows.
I think I will put a diaper can there by the inside of the door because I know they will probably say something about me going out the door. Even though I clorox wipe it too. Did they give you a problem for changing on the carpet? By changing on the carpet, I mean with a changing pad on top of it, not directly on the carpet.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilley View Post
Wow, I didn't know we had to put one on top of another. Do you know if we can put wax paper or that paper on a roll on the changing pad instead?
That's what I heard that you had to have 1 on top of another, but I'm looking and can't find clarification of that. Maybe someone here will know of any rule that says that. I can't think of the logic of it though
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
That's what I heard that you had to have 1 on top of another, but I'm looking and can't find clarification of that. Maybe someone here will know of any rule that says that. I can't think of the logic of it though
I just looked at the technical assistance. I think it means to have the pad on top of a surface that you can sanitize. It also says you can lay the pad on top of something like a shower curtain on a carped floor. So confusing! Check out the technical assistance manual from DHS. Here is the link http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...8_248910_7.pdf

I'm sorry, I don't know if I did that right, I'm computer illiterate...lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I think I will put a diaper can there by the inside of the door because I know they will probably say something about me going out the door. Even though I clorox wipe it too. Did they give you a problem for changing on the carpet? By changing on the carpet, I mean with a changing pad on top of it, not directly on the carpet.
Never mind about the carpet. I think as long as you have something that you can sanitize under the pad then it is ok.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilley View Post
I just looked at the technical assistance. I think it means to have the pad on top of a surface that you can sanitize. It also says you can lay the pad on top of something like a shower curtain on a carped floor. So confusing! Check out the technical assistance manual from DHS. Here is the link http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...8_248910_7.pdf

I'm sorry, I don't know if I did that right, I'm computer illiterate...lol
Thanks for posting that link. I think I finally understand it. The diaper changing pad HAS to be on top of another non-absorbant material. That could be a tiled floor or a changing table. If you're changing on a carpet then you have to put the changing pad on top of something non-absorbant like the shower curtain like you mentioned. You can also use the top to a large plastic container it says as a barrier. I have been using my family room to change diapers on a diaper pad, but I guess according to this I can't do that because it has to be in an area that is not used exclusively for diapering. The only other room I can use is the laundry room which is right inside my backdoor. I hate to use that room though because I find it gross to change dirty diapers where I clean my clothes ya know?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

Hey check this out. This was further down on that link.

"If diapers and diapering supplies are disposed of inside the home, to
comply with subrule (g) of this rule, a plastic-lined, tightly covered container
that is used exclusively for these items must be used. It is also
acceptable to dispose of diapers and diaper supplies directly into an
outside garbage container."

So I guess I can use the outside trash can!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 PM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
Hey check this out. This was further down on that link.

"If diapers and diapering supplies are disposed of inside the home, to
comply with subrule (g) of this rule, a plastic-lined, tightly covered container
that is used exclusively for these items must be used. It is also
acceptable to dispose of diapers and diaper supplies directly into an
outside garbage container."

So I guess I can use the outside trash can!!
Oooh, I'm glad you saw that, I didn't. I like your idea of disposing of the diapers outside! It would be gross to change in laundry room, but it does say you can lay them on top of the washer or dryer, weird....lol
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilley View Post
Oooh, I'm glad you saw that, I didn't. I like your idea of disposing of the diapers outside! It would be gross to change in laundry room, but it does say you can lay them on top of the washer or dryer, weird....lol
I'm going to save that page on my computer and if she writes me up for throwing the diapers outside in the can I'll have to show it to her. I really don't want to change in the laundry room. I don't have any option though without getting in trouble. All my other rooms are carpeted and used for daycare. It has to be a spot that is used exclusively for diaper changes. I think that's a dumb rule if you're sanitizing like you should. They would rather I go in a room where I can't see the other kids and do diaper changes instead of doing it in the living room on an approved diaper changing mat where I can see everyone. I'm going to ask her about that too when she comes.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In orientation my consultant told us all that you must have a container that you can seal closed for diapers and you can NOT wash your hands where you prepare food ("then go to the kitchen to wash my hands"). I'm in MI, too Just FYI.

R 400.1923 Diapering and toilet learning.
Rule 23.
(1) Diapering of infants and toddlers shall only occur in a designated changing area.
(2) The designated changing area shall comply with all of the following:
(a) Be used exclusively for changing wet or soiled diapers or underwear.
(b) Be located away from food preparation and meal service areas.
(c) Have access to a hand washing sink that is not used for food preparation.
(d) Have a nonabsorbent, easily sanitized surface with a changing pad between the child and the surface.
(e) Be cleaned and sanitized after each use.
(f) Have diapering/changing supplies within easy reach.
(g) Have a plastic-lined, tightly covered container exclusively for disposable diapers and diapering supplies that shall be emptied and sanitized at the end of each day

Also, you should be using soap and water, rinsed and sanitized (in that order). I had a friend who's been a provider for a LONG time get in trouble by licensing for not doing that. Again.... just FYI.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM
sunlight's Avatar
sunlight sunlight is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 111
Default

In Oregon these are our hand washing rules only if you are State Certified. We have two licenses Registered and Certified. Certified being more stringent. It clearly states that hand sanitzer must be under "Child proof Lock". Here is a link if anyone is interested: http://nrckids.org/STATES/OR/or_350.pdf


Hand Washing:
(a)
Caregivers and children shall wash their hands with soap and warm running water after nose wiping, after using the toilet, and before and after eating;
(b)
Caregivers shall wash their hands with soap and warm running water before and after changing a diaper, before and after feeding a child or handling food, and after assisting a child with toileting and nose wiping;
(c)
Infants’ and children’s hands shall be washed with soap and warm running water after diaper changing;
(d)
Staff shall immediately and thoroughly wash their hands after handling animals or cleaning cages;
(e)
Commercial products labeled “hand sanitizers” shall not replace hand washing. If hand sanitizers are present in the home, they shall be kept under child-proof lock and shall not be used by children;
(f)
When hand washing is not possible, eg, on field trips, or the neighborhood park, moist towelettes shall be used.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In orientation my consultant told us all that you must have a container that you can seal closed for diapers and you can NOT wash your hands where you prepare food ("then go to the kitchen to wash my hands"). I'm in MI, too Just FYI.

R 400.1923 Diapering and toilet learning.
Rule 23.
(1) Diapering of infants and toddlers shall only occur in a designated changing area.
(2) The designated changing area shall comply with all of the following:
(a) Be used exclusively for changing wet or soiled diapers or underwear.
(b) Be located away from food preparation and meal service areas.
(c) Have access to a hand washing sink that is not used for food preparation.
(d) Have a nonabsorbent, easily sanitized surface with a changing pad between the child and the surface.
(e) Be cleaned and sanitized after each use.
(f) Have diapering/changing supplies within easy reach.
(g) Have a plastic-lined, tightly covered container exclusively for disposable diapers and diapering supplies that shall be emptied and sanitized at the end of each day

Also, you should be using soap and water, rinsed and sanitized (in that order). I had a friend who's been a provider for a LONG time get in trouble by licensing for not doing that. Again.... just FYI.
Yup, so if I change in the laundry room, wash my hands in the laundry room, put the diaper in the garbage pail (covered) right outside the door then I should be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 AM
momofsix's Avatar
momofsix momofsix is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,837
Default

My changing pad is right on the bathroom floor (tile). I throw the diapers in a garbage that's in the laundry room right next to the bathroom.
The most important thing my licencor wanted to see was the 3 spray bottles. 1. soapy water for washing the pad
2. plain water for rinsing
3. bleach water for sanitizing
My sister uses only Lysol wipes for cleaning her pad and she got an ok for that!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsix View Post
My changing pad is right on the bathroom floor (tile). I throw the diapers in a garbage that's in the laundry room right next to the bathroom.
The most important thing my licencor wanted to see was the 3 spray bottles. 1. soapy water for washing the pad
2. plain water for rinsing
3. bleach water for sanitizing
My sister uses only Lysol wipes for cleaning her pad and she got an ok for that!
I love the wipes for cleaning. I use the clorox wipes. so that was ok huh? Last time she came to inspect i had a bleach/water bottle that i had to spray on the pad, wipe it, spray it again and let it air dry. that was before the bleach wipes were really popular though (6 years ago)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I was picked at the random 10% a year to be inspected and my inspection was a week ago. I too live in Michigan. I was using a changing pad only and got popped for it. She told me I needed some type of plastic liner underneith my plastic changing pad. She suggested a vinyl table cloth. So I went to the dollar store and purchased one. =) As for the diaper pail, i used a big tidy cat plastic lined container and had it right outside my daycare door and she said that was fine. Hope that helps. =)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 PM
sunlight's Avatar
sunlight sunlight is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 111
Default Certified Family care in Oregon Rules for Health Dept.

I am going to become a Certified Family provider and have some questions for the Oregon providers. As I am looking through the sample Health Dept. check list. Where could I find a template or examples of procedures that need to be posted and explained like my diapering procedures etc?

I know we all need to have emergency procedures, evacuation procedures etc. posted. But it seems like there are many more things regarding sanitization etc. I just don't want to forget anything.

Thank you everyone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diaper changing procedures

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diaper Changing Opinions Needed VioletCupcake Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 12-13-2012 12:36 PM
Diaper Changing Problem with MY Child! spud912 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 01-30-2011 07:55 AM
Diaper Changing Area KEG123 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 12-28-2010 12:14 PM
Where is Your Diaper Changing sStation? Abigail Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 09-07-2010 12:52 PM
Diaper changing question kendallina Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 07-29-2010 02:14 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:47 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming