Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Is Any Portion of Tuition a Tax Write-Off?

Prior to opening my daycare I was fairly close to finishing my masters in literacy birth-6th grade/child education. I'd like to start finishing that up. Is any portion of coursework related to this field a tax write-off?

Thank you!
Old 08-17-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleScholars View Post
Prior to opening my daycare I was fairly close to finishing my masters in literacy birth-6th grade/child education. I'd like to start finishing that up. Is any portion of coursework related to this field a tax write-off?

Thank you!
http://tomcopelandblog.com/education-costs-deductible
Old 08-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Woo hoo!! Thank you!! This is awesome!

I really need to get in the habit of checking his website/blog. There is such great info on there!!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

follow him on facebook too, he is amazing!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
follow him on facebook too, he is amazing!
So smart! Done!
Old 04-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

Now that I'm finalizing my taxes, it is unclear whether I should be able to write off 100% of my qualified education expenses, or if only a portion of this can be written off.

However my accountant entered it, only something like $304 of $1056 was written off. Does that sounds correct? The article didn't speak to that (unless I missed it).
Old 04-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Daycare.com Member

Follow up: it seems the confusion is whether it can be written off an as education expense or in full. I'm inferring education expenses are just a fraction of the total? So confusing!
Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default education expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleScholars View Post
Now that I'm finalizing my taxes, it is unclear whether I should be able to write off 100% of my qualified education expenses, or if only a portion of this can be written off.

However my accountant entered it, only something like $304 of $1056 was written off. Does that sounds correct? The article didn't speak to that (unless I missed it).
Assuming you are eligible to deduct your education expenses, you can deduct 100% of these expenses on your Schedule C. There are two federal tax credits: the Lifetime Learning Credit and the American Opportunity Credit. It may be that your tax person used one of these credits on your personal tax form (Form 1040) rather than claiming 100% of them as a business deduction. You don't want to claim these credits as you will get a bigger deduction as a business expense.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

So is there a cap? If I am still paying on student loans from my bachelors and I get that right off, then also include what I am paying cash for to get a masters cert or degree related to childcare?

Just curious if there is a limit on what you can or should(red flags for IRS) include.

Just debating going back to school and if it is worth it. Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default education costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So is there a cap? If I am still paying on student loans from my bachelors and I get that right off, then also include what I am paying cash for to get a masters cert or degree related to childcare?

Just curious if there is a limit on what you can or should(red flags for IRS) include.

Just debating going back to school and if it is worth it. Thanks
There are caps on the education tax credits. There are no caps on education expenses as a business deduction, assuming you qualify.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Thank you!

Tags
deduction - tuition, tuition, write offs