Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:23 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,058
Default Cut Lip Help

Kid came bolting up the two steps from the playroom, slipped, and put an upper tooth through his lower lip from the outside. The gouge is narrow but deep. I don't think it goes all the way through, but there is an abrasion on the inside, too, so I'm not a hundred percent certain. The bleeding and crying stopped almost immediately.

I texted both parents and sent a photo and put in a Brightwheel note. They don't think they need to pick up unless he's inconsolable. I'm concerned with how deep the cut is and with his age--he's 18 months and I can't keep him from swiping at the lip.

What can I do to treat it here other than antibacterial ointment, since it's on a lip?

Should I just insist on pick up?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:33 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
Kid came bolting up the two steps from the playroom, slipped, and put an upper tooth through his lower lip from the outside. The gouge is narrow but deep. I don't think it goes all the way through, but there is an abrasion on the inside, too, so I'm not a hundred percent certain. The bleeding and crying stopped almost immediately.

I texted both parents and sent a photo and put in a Brightwheel note. They don't think they need to pick up unless he's inconsolable. I'm concerned with how deep the cut is and with his age--he's 18 months and I can't keep him from swiping at the lip.

What can I do to treat it here other than antibacterial ointment, since it's on a lip?

Should I just insist on pick up?
Ugh! Mouth injuries are tough! I did the exact same thing as a 1st grader...only my teeth went right through... I still have a pretty decent scar to prove it.

If he isn't bleeding or crying I'd leave him be. The mouth is a funny thing and saliva has a built in healing aspect so you'll be surprised at how quickly it will heal up. If he starts to bleed, I'd call for pick up but otherwise, there really isnt anything a Dr can do.

Being with the parent under their supervision is the only way to go if he starts bleeding or crying alot. Poor dude.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 AM
mabell's Avatar
mabell mabell is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Default

My daughter split her lip open this summer (13 months old.) She needed to get stitches though because of where the cut was at...it gaped open every time she smiled a little (they said that was the only reason she was getting them...if it could stay together naturally it would have healed on its own.)
We just had to keep it clean after eating and with a final clean before bed, applying antibacterial ointment 3 or 4 times a day afterwards. It healed pretty quickly!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
They don't think they need to pick up unless he's inconsolable.
Kid #3?

Do they generally dismiss his illnesses or are they on top of things?

That's tough to say without seeing it.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,058
Default

Thanks so much, Blackcat!

The dad thought no pick up needed, but the mom is checking to see if she can get coverage at work to come pick up. He has cheered right up and is eating applesauce for morning snack and drinking his "bottle" from an open cup with a straw and fussing because I won't let him have crackers. The cut is like half a millimeter below his lower lip and I think chewing will work it open. It's just. . . it's deep, man!

Mostly, I'm worried about infection because it's so deep, it was from a tooth, and he won't stop swiping at it. I've cleaned his hands off and dabbed the lip with Polysporin, but he keeps sucking the lip into his mouth and keeps rubbing his fingers over it.

Would a doctor even do anything about it, or just say "watch it as it heals"?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Kid #3?

Do they generally dismiss his illnesses or are they on top of things?

That's tough to say without seeing it.
Mom is a nurturing schoolteacher and dad is a physical therapist. He's a one-and-done but they're very grounded.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
Thanks so much, Blackcat!

The dad thought no pick up needed, but the mom is checking to see if she can get coverage at work to come pick up. He has cheered right up and is eating applesauce for morning snack and drinking his "bottle" from an open cup with a straw and fussing because I won't let him have crackers. The cut is like half a millimeter below his lower lip and I think chewing will work it open. It's just. . . it's deep, man!

Mostly, I'm worried about infection because it's so deep, it was from a tooth, and he won't stop swiping at it. I've cleaned his hands off and dabbed the lip with Polysporin, but he keeps sucking the lip into his mouth and keeps rubbing his fingers over it.

Would a doctor even do anything about it, or just say "watch it as it heals"?
I'd bet there isn't anything they (Dr etc) can do.

Maybe a stitch or two if it's deep but I don't know as that isn't always so easy either and can sometimes make a bigger scar than the injury itself.

Like CH said, it's tough to know without seeing it but if you sent parents a photo and they are checking to see what Dr thinks, I'd let them make the call.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,058
Default



Thank you, all! The mom decided to come for pick up. It was bothering me that I didn't know the right solution, so it's good to know there isn't really one in this situation. I needed your affirmation that "This sucks; it probably doesn't need a doctor; it might could need a doctor."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 AM
jenboo's Avatar
jenboo jenboo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 2,613
Default

Glad mom picked up!
My niece put her teeth through her lip and the doc said there is nothing to do. It will heal on its own.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
Mom is a nurturing schoolteacher and dad is a physical therapist. He's a one-and-done but they're very grounded.
Then I would trust their judgement.

Awesome Mom came, anyway, though.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,058
Default

The great irony? His "Camp Crystal Lake" thermal tee is now bloody. Mom says Dad will think that's awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
The great irony? His "Camp Crystal Lake" thermal tee is now bloody. Mom says Dad will think that's awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
The great irony? His "Camp Crystal Lake" thermal tee is now bloody. Mom says Dad will think that's awesome.
Yeah, that is baby book material right there. Acrylic handprint and all.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:59 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 613
Default

That was my day Wednesday. 2 Year old decided to jump off the couch with a toy in hand and gave himself a black eye. I was changing a diaper when he did it. Mom freaked and took him to the ER for a bruise. He was completely fine and back the next day. I felt horrible but I have corrected him 100 times not to jump off the couch.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming