Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

as a parent with kids in music, karate, and other sports.

We pay regardless. Bad weather? No football? Pay the same.

Music store is on vacation for a week at christmas, we pay our regular payments for instruments (even though they are unavailable to service them if needed) AND lessons, even though my kids will be missing two each.

If I charged even $1 more per day it would add up to more money over the year than my paid time off.

and again, look around at different daycares. It's highly unlikely that was the ONLY one in your area. Call the local licensing office and ask for referrals. You should be able to get a copy of the contract you signed. If you don't like the policies, speak to them about it- look elsewhere- don't sign and complain.

I have two parents who I wrote a special contract up for.

Parent 1- We added up the days her school age child would attend on scheduled days off, 1/2 days, etc (I don't take her regularly, just days off of school or half days) and she pays me a set monthly amount that covers her time here. So instead of owing me over $300 the week of christmas-new years, her rate is spread out over the year. She has a balance due if she pulls before the school year ends, though.

parent 2- we added up the 10 holidays/year that I am closed, and she pays additional money per week. She's actually paying MORE than she would if she paid like everyone else, but she still feels like she gets a break. She doesn't need alternate care (I only close for major holidays, eg. christmas day). but she doesn't get PTO at her job, so I guess the small break that week helps her.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

childcare is a very unique self employment category. We are usually in high demand and can set terms that work for us.

I do know many businesses that set their own terms but very few can be compared to childcare. The only thing that comes somewhat close is season tickets to a sports game. You buy the tickets and pay for them whether you attend the games or not. No one complains about that because they are getting something out of it. Like childcare you knew upfront you had to pay for it whether or not you attend. When parents donít directly benefit from a service they donít see the value in it (not all parents thankfully).
Old 12-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Post Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
You probably have a car payment. So I am going to assume that if for some reason you broke your leg and couldn't drive for 6 weeks, that you will be calling the lien holder and crying about how it's not fair you have to pay the monthly payment when you can't drive the car.......

Things happen. You still have to pay for your car.
Things happen. You still have to pay your daycare provider.
In your car scenario, the car is still available to the owner. This is the difference. Their spouse/friend/roommate or whatever could drive them around, they could sit in the driveway playing their car stereo if they chose, whatever. The lein holder is not going to come reposses the car for 6 weeks so the car can have a little vacay time while demanding that payment still be made. If this happened you'd all be here crying in the forums, while continuing to charge your customers for services not rendered.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:15 PM

I am pretty sure that even if child care was open 24/7/365 parents would still be complaining

I have ONE question. Just ONE.

Is it really that horrible to pay the person that provides love and care to YOUR child a day's pay, a week's pay or even a months pay while they take a MUCH needed break?!

I mean the provider cares for the ONE thing that should be THE most important person in your life so why is paying them for the small amount of time off they take that big of a deal?

The fact that so many parents simply don't see the value in that says ALOT about parents today.

I'm glad my kids didn't ever have to feel like they weren't worthy of a few extra days pay that I still paid their provider when she closed.

It made their time with our provider that much more important and worth it because my provider was healthy (BOTH physically and mentally) because she didn't have the added stress of worrying about income due to vacation.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC23 View Post
If it was in the contract you must honor it or give notice and leave. After seeing what all goes into becoming a provider they deserve these days. Back ground checks, many inspections on safety, fire, public health conducted. Trainings in CPR/First Aid/Rescue breathing along with many other areas to include depending on the state a minimum of 6 or more training hours a year. The list could go on criteria that must be met and the pay that many home providers are much less than someone working in a child care center. For instance a home provider may charge for arguement sake $200 a week for up to 50 hours a week. That breaks down to $4.00 an hour. Gee that means that you or anyone paying that a week is paying less than minimum wage to someone that is watching their child. I think paying for holidays or other closures is more than worth it. I think most people under estimate what goes into child care profession along with the importance of this area. what price tag are you willing to put on your child? I know I wouldn't think twice about paying that or more for my infant. Currently I choose not to work so I can stay home with her because I would rather scrap by than allow my child to be put in child care with someone I don't know.
This is an ignorant statement. Of course it's less than minimum wage. Why would you even be working if your just giving exactly what you make directly to someone else, only you pay taxes on the money, and gas etc. so your actually in the red. They watch more than one child at a time Thad where the profit is.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is an ignorant statement. Of course it's less than minimum wage. Why would you even be working if your just giving exactly what you make directly to someone else, only you pay taxes on the money, and gas etc. so your actually in the red. They watch more than one child at a time Thad where the profit is.
We also have a lot of expenses that go along with providing childcare! Bottom line is that if you don't like paying what you agreed to pay then that is YOUR problem, not your provider's. Find another provider who's policies you do agree with but don't agree to something and then bitch about it being unfair later!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
This is equally as ignorant.

Not all parents work for minimum wage.
The child care provider pays taxes on the income as well.
My profit isn't from the fact that I watch more than one child at a time.
My profit comes from the quality care provided to the children in attendance, whether that be one or 10 children.

...and to say "Why would you be working just to give the money you are making directly to someone else?" is akin to providers that wonder why parents have children they bring directly to daycare for someone else to "raise".

Bottom line for all parents is if you can't afford child care, stay home with your child and provide care yourself.
If you can afford child care and you choose to use it, do so but stop complaining about it.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Darlin' after I paid my taxes, food, extra utilities, gas to buy supplies, etc I made just 2,792 last year... I had 4,000 in medical bills & 10,000 alone in the last 2 months due to pneumonia for this year & I don't have medical insurance because TN didn't expand Obama care... I am so negative already I'm about to file bankruptcy, I'm probably more in the red than if I worked a minimum wage job... at least then I wouldn't be paying 15% taxes instead of just the employees share ( BTW, I'm a single with no spouse covering other costs... my income is the only one); not every provider has 6-10 kids... I'm allowed 4 at most because I do infants only
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklsmum View Post
We also have a lot of expenses that go along with providing childcare! Bottom line is that if you don't like paying what you agreed to pay then that is YOUR problem, not your provider's. Find another provider who's policies you do agree with but don't agree to something and then bitch about it being unfair later!
Exactly... It's why I have my families read my policies on the website before they sign the contract... They don't like the rules, then don't set up an interview lol
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Bolded:
It is NEVER a guarantee that we will have a full roster. Never.
There are years I net less than minimum wage and years I have net triple the minimum wage.
Paid holiday closures are the only perk I get in this job.
If people want to balk at paying those, they are not people I want in my home and in my business.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Unregistered

Default Employees aren't paid

It would certainly be a bit more understandable IF the school was still having to pay their employees on holidays, snow days, or other days they decide to be closed. However, WE ARE NOT PAID for any of those days that parents still pay....other than VETERANS DAY MEMORIAL DAY, CHRISTMAS DAY, THANKSGIVING DAY, & NY DAY.... So the preschool is winning and everyone else loses, including your child's teacher.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
It would certainly be a bit more understandable IF the school was still having to pay their employees on holidays, snow days, or other days they decide to be closed. However, WE ARE NOT PAID for any of those days that parents still pay....other than VETERANS DAY MEMORIAL DAY, CHRISTMAS DAY, THANKSGIVING DAY, & NY DAY.... So the preschool is winning and everyone else loses, including your child's teacher.
I know it seems that way but the simple truth is that bit of "extra" income is already figured into the years budget that decided tuition and pay scale. Payroll is one of the smaller costs associated with running a center.

Tags
2007, charging on holidays, christmas, contract, dead horse, good friday, holiday, independence day, labor day, memorial day, new years, paid holidays, presidents day, thanksgiving, the post that would not end, train wreck, unpaid holiday, unrealistic expectations, veterans day