Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Angry With Fridays Off For Christmas Eve And New Year Eve
Childcare-yps 02:29 PM 12-18-2017
Why parents dont understand that we as a provider and teacher, helpers also need holidays...

we plan off fri 22nd and mon 25th (for chritamas eve & christmas holidays resp.) and 29th jan and 1st jan (for new eve and new years holiday. as these holidays are public holidays as well. I know many companies are off too these days and many are not, but we as a family home daycare, also need break and follow our rules what we make when we started.

Parents are arguing with me that you should open on fridays as her work is on, in that case i replied if you want you can drop your child but as i am closed so there will be dropin charge for both fridays. she is even getting mad on me that now you are charging for fridays.

can anyone faced situation like this.? please pour your ideas what can be done and where the things wrong and what should do now....
Thanks in advance !!!
Rockgirl 03:45 PM 12-18-2017
The parents’ work schedule has absolutely nothing to do with my work schedule. I’m assuming you gave ample notice for your days off....I give the notice and don’t explain anything.
Poptarts22 03:53 PM 12-18-2017
My planned vacation days are sent out the first of the year to everyone. They have the entire year to cover my Christmas holiday. Their procrastination is not my problem
mommyneedsadayoff 04:08 PM 12-18-2017
You are kind to even give her the chance for drop in care those days. You are closed and she knew this and now she must do what every other parent does when they work during holiday times...figure it out. BUT, that does not make her problem, your problem, so I would remain closed and let her find other arrangements.
Ariana 04:38 PM 12-18-2017
You deal with the situation by not giving into her adult sized tantrum. If she agreed to these days off when she signed the contract then she can’t say anything about it.
Denali 06:36 PM 12-18-2017
Originally Posted by Childcare-yps:
Why parents dont understand that we as a provider and teacher, helpers also need holidays...

we plan off fri 22nd and mon 25th (for chritamas eve & christmas holidays resp.) and 29th jan and 1st jan (for new eve and new years holiday. as these holidays are public holidays as well. I know many companies are off too these days and many are not, but we as a family home daycare, also need break and follow our rules what we make when we started.

Parents are arguing with me that you should open on fridays as her work is on, in that case i replied if you want you can drop your child but as i am closed so there will be dropin charge for both fridays. she is even getting mad on me that now you are charging for fridays.

can anyone faced situation like this.? please pour your ideas what can be done and where the things wrong and what should do now....
Thanks in advance !!!
“I’m sorry that my holiday closures, that you were aware of when you enrolled here, don’t work for you. I’ll consider this your two-week notice. I wish you luck in finding child care that better suits your needs. Peace out.”
amberrose3dg 02:43 AM 12-19-2017

Thanks in advance !!!
Your parents would be extremely pissed at me then. I'm closed from 22 until the 3rd.
Seriously it isn't your concern her work schedule. I would take either Friday or Tuesday since Christmas eve is on a Sunday also.
amberrose3dg 02:46 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
You deal with the situation by not giving into her adult sized tantrum. If she agreed to these days off when she signed the contract then she can’t say anything about it.
Yeah I don't give in to adult tantrums. I gave my parents my 2018 holiday and closing list. I have not put my second week of vacation on there yet.i would also suggest bringing up two week notice or looking to replace. Nothing more stressful than a parent like that each time a holiday rolls around.
Play Care 03:20 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by Denali:
“I’m sorry that my holiday closures, that you were aware of when you enrolled here, don’t work for you. I’ll consider this your two-week notice. I wish you luck in finding child care that better suits your needs. Peace out.”
This is what my parents would hear as well.

The other thing is, stop expecting other people to understand why you need to do x, y, or z.
Generally people are very selfish and only understand/care about THEIR needs. It's not personal, it's just how brains work.
Annalee 04:21 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by Denali:
I’m sorry that my holiday closures, that you were aware of when you enrolled here, don’t work for you. I’ll consider this your two-week notice. I wish you luck in finding child care that better suits your needs. Peace out.”
THis is the phrase I share with new providers to rehearse and and rinse/repeat for many things. It's not easy but it gets easier with time.
Snowmom 07:20 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
THis is the phrase I share with new providers to rehearse and and rinse/repeat for many things. It's not easy but it gets easier with time.
Yep. Ditto
lovemykidstoo 08:28 AM 12-19-2017
You need the break. You gave her notice and she should just figure it out. I would not do drop in care for her at all.

My daycare mom dropped her child off this morning and will all week. She's off all week. Then next week, she said oh you're closed the day after Christmas? yup, I told you that in January and also about 4 other times during the year. She has to work, but hubby is off all next week. I'm only working Thursday and Friday next week and even though daddy's off, he'll be here. Thankfully his last day here is Friday!
amberrose3dg 09:28 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
You need the break. You gave her notice and she should just figure it out. I would not do drop in care for her at all.

My daycare mom dropped her child off this morning and will all week. She's off all week. Then next week, she said oh you're closed the day after Christmas? yup, I told you that in January and also about 4 other times during the year. She has to work, but hubby is off all next week. I'm only working Thursday and Friday next week and even though daddy's off, he'll be here. Thankfully his last day here is Friday!
Eek! Poor kiddo. See this above is why you take off for you and not them. See if mom planned it she should of been off work next week instead. I have a daycare mom who was off last Friday for no reason and then needs care this Friday when school is out. Poor planning on their part.i give them my schedule in December for the following year. They know a year out except for an emergency or personal day here and there.
Annalee 09:38 AM 12-19-2017
Longevity in this business requires time off...for yourself and your families or burnout is inevitable.....I require pay first off because I deserve it and second off this IS my livelihood. On the plus side, closing the daycare alleviates the worry I used to have when leaving a sub in control of my livelihood....NO MORE!
NeedaVaca 01:41 PM 12-19-2017
There is no way I would offer to open for a family that didn't plan ahead on my vacation day or holiday. The money wouldn't be worth it, I look forward to my days off way too much I enjoy them with my family and use it to recharge. The days you are taking are pretty standard for closures. She would hate me, I'm taking 2 weeks off!
CityGarden 01:52 PM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Your parents would be extremely pissed at me then. I'm closed from 22 until the 3rd.
Seriously it isn't your concern her work schedule. I would take either Friday or Tuesday since Christmas eve is on a Sunday also.
They would be unhappy with me as well I am closed the 22nd - 8th with pay!

OP were this dates given to DCM when she started? If so I would say...

Dear DCM,

Per the calendar we are closed December 22nd and 25th
for the Christmas Holiday as well as December 29th and January 1st for the New Year Holiday.

For a complete list of closures please reference the calendar distributed at the start of the school year. It is the responsibility of parents to note all calendar dates and schedule changes as they are posted. ABC Daycare does not follow ABC School District, other school or work calendars. Please refer to abcdaycare.com for calendar dates, schedule changes, registration information and policies. If a holiday is not listed on the site above, it is not observed as an official daycare holiday.

Sincerely,

ABC Program Director

If she did not know and this is a late change/addition you are clarifying on your schedule I would give her a tuition credit for the next month for the 22nd and 29th. Some parents are like GREAT since Christmas eve is on a Sunday I am not impacted which is why it's nice to clarify at the start of the year. You would not be wrong here but still giving the dates in advance does help parents plan.

Under no circumstance would I watch the child for additonal pay on these days. It sends mixed messages and sets you up to offer the same thing in the future. Trust me I did this once during Spring Break and once you bend on your policies they continue to ask you to bend.
Ribeye 01:34 AM 12-20-2017
My opinion is that parents can communicate well to communicate, can not communicate that forget it
amberrose3dg 03:40 AM 12-20-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
They would be unhappy with me as well I am closed the 22nd - 8th with pay!

OP were this dates given to DCM when she started? If so I would say...

Dear DCM,

Per the calendar we are closed December 22nd and 25th
for the Christmas Holiday as well as December 29th and January 1st for the New Year Holiday.

For a complete list of closures please reference the calendar distributed at the start of the school year. It is the responsibility of parents to note all calendar dates and schedule changes as they are posted. ABC Daycare does not follow ABC School District, other school or work calendars. Please refer to abcdaycare.com for calendar dates, schedule changes, registration information and policies. If a holiday is not listed on the site above, it is not observed as an official daycare holiday.

Sincerely,

ABC Program Director

If she did not know and this is a late change/addition you are clarifying on your schedule I would give her a tuition credit for the next month for the 22nd and 29th. Some parents are like GREAT since Christmas eve is on a Sunday I am not impacted which is why it's nice to clarify at the start of the year. You would not be wrong here but still giving the dates in advance does help parents plan.

Under no circumstance would I watch the child for additonal pay on these days. It sends mixed messages and sets you up to offer the same thing in the future. Trust me I did this once during Spring Break and once you bend on your policies they continue to ask you to bend.
Exactly this!
Hell i would rather lose pay on one kid a day or two than watch them for additional money. My time off is PRECIOUS!!!
I would not argue with her about it. If it keeps up ask her if she would like to put in her two weeks. Some parents always try and get their way this time of year.
I make it known and remind yet again i have two paid weeks off a year plus all major holidays. They need to work their schedule around yours. Not the other way around. It would be impossible to make everyone happy.
LysesKids 05:30 AM 12-20-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Exactly this!
Hell i would rather lose pay on one kid a day or two than watch them for additional money. My time off is PRECIOUS!!!
I would not argue with her about it. If it keeps up ask her if she would like to put in her two weeks. Some parents always try and get their way this time of year.
I make it known and remind yet again i have two paid weeks off a year plus all major holidays. They need to work their schedule around yours. Not the other way around. It would be impossible to make everyone happy.
My days off are listed on my website & on the board by the front door plus a verbally remind people at my Holiday party (last weekend). I Give everyone the list of days off the first week of January each year, or when they contract if mid year ... no excuses fr not having back up set
NeedaVaca 05:52 AM 12-20-2017
Originally Posted by Ribeye:
My opinion is that parents can communicate well to communicate, can not communicate that forget it
I'm not sure what you are communicating here
lblanke 03:27 PM 12-20-2017
Time to recharge is important fir everyone. I don't think you should keep her child. You deserve a few days for yourself.
rosieteddy 06:55 AM 12-21-2017
I would send note home today.Daycare is closed as planned,parents need to make other arrangements .You should not change for this parent.She can hire a babysitter or relative to watch her child.Any time in the beginning when I gave in at holiday times parents abused the time.Either they really did not have to work or they just wanted the time to get their Christmas ready without a child under foot.Afew ruined it for any that truly needed the day.In my contract parents were told to have their own back up care.Stick to your policy you deserve it.Stay strong.
LysesKids 08:20 AM 12-21-2017

Parents are arguing with me that you should open on fridays as her work is on, in that case I replied if you want you can drop your child but as I am closed so there will be dropin charge for both fridays. she is even getting mad on me that now you are charging for fridays.

Thanks in advance !!!
This is why I close the full week between Christmas & New Years every year... done it since my girls were still at home. It's one of my 2 weeks of vacation time (I have to travel to see family now). I am open tomorrow because of when Christmas lands, however in prior years I will close on the Friday prior if it lands on Saturday. I personally would not have offered drop -In care because you are setting yourself up for future problems... her emergency isn't your problem because she didn't plan
Tags:christmas day, holidays - off, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up