Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM
SunflowerMama's Avatar
SunflowerMama SunflowerMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,109
Default Non-Verbal 3.5 yr old Advice?

I've got an almost 4yr old dcg who will go half the day, sometimes more completely non verbal. She'll grunt for things and at friends, point, etc. but will not use her words. She's very impulsive, does not follow directions and has moments of rage, anger, physical aggression toward the other kids and sometimes me but is a very intelligent kid. At home she does the same. Parents are very laissez faire and constantly blame things on her being tired. They never acknowledge areas where she's struggling that I have brought to their attention and always blame things away.

She's quickly being pushed out of the 3/4s peer groups because they get frustrated with her limited communication with them so they just leave her alone and move onto something else which is sad to watch. On days when she's talking, communicating well and using her words she does great but the non-verbal periods are starting to out-number the others.

Advice would be great!! Parents rarely take my advice on anything so it would just be something I could implement here and just share with them.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,064
Default

This is a side effect of children who are sat in front of the tv or the tablet all day long at home. It is a new generation of kids with no language, emotional regulation or parental face time.

I would push for a langauge assessment and terminate if they refuse OR just keep going and work on some face to face time with her theough talking and reading books.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 AM
SunflowerMama's Avatar
SunflowerMama SunflowerMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
This is a side effect of children who are sat in front of the tv or the tablet all day long at home. It is a new generation of kids with no language, emotional regulation or parental face time.

I would push for a langauge assessment and terminate if they refuse OR just keep going and work on some face to face time with her theough talking and reading books.
I just need a really clear way (or to find a recommendation form) to bring up getting her assessed. Parents are SUPER anti-testing, labels, doctors, etc., etc. I KNOW exactly what they'll say. She's totally normal, just stubborn and wants to do things her own way, etc. but I'm seeing impulse behaviors daily that do make me fearful for others at times and her lack of communication most days is really hard to manage at times especially with the needs of the other kids.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 936
Default

Just a clarification before giving my opinion.. the child can and does talk sometimes but just chooses not to most of the time?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Mom2Two's Avatar
Mom2Two Mom2Two is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: U. S. A.
Posts: 1,234
Default

Def needs an assessment. Have them call your local school district.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:21 PM
SunflowerMama's Avatar
SunflowerMama SunflowerMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
Just a clarification before giving my opinion.. the child can and does talk sometimes but just chooses not to most of the time?
Yes. She does and can just chooses not to.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,468
Default

When they decline to have her assessed, have a termination notice ready.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama View Post
Yes. She does and can just chooses not to.
Then I am not sure what the problem is really. If she has no delays and CAN talk it is her choice when she wants to talk. Thats my opinion. You canít control whether or not others like her based on that.

Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:35 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Then I am not sure what the problem is really. If she has no delays and CAN talk it is her choice when she wants to talk. Thats my opinion. You canít control whether or not others like her based on that.

Just my 2 cents
Itís a warning sign for a few dev. disabilities.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:26 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama View Post
Yes. She does and can just chooses not to.
It could be something or it could be nothing. My cousin at 3.5 didnít talk AT ALL.. they had him assessed and they kept saying since there were no other signs to just wait it out and one day he just snapped out of it and by 4.5 you never would have known it took him that long to speak. Heís 14 now and has no disabilities.


Iíd say the fact that she can talk but isnít is better than not talking and not being able. I would just try not to let it bother me and praise her over the top when she is using her words. I wouldnít push the parents for an assessment just yet. Mark 6 months on a calendar and if nothing changes by then and sheís not having any other issues then bring it up to parents again.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
It’s a warning sign for a few dev. disabilities.
With nothing else present it is not. It *might* be selective mutism but that is not a developmental disability. Impulse control issues at this age are also pretty common especially in a child that has no boundaries and structure.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-13-2018, 09:14 PM
Tigerlilly's Avatar
Tigerlilly Tigerlilly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
This is a side effect of children who are sat in front of the tv or the tablet all day long at home. It is a new generation of kids with no language, emotional regulation or parental face time.

I would push for a langauge assessment and terminate if they refuse OR just keep going and work on some face to face time with her theough talking and reading books.
I too would talk to the parents about seeking speech therapy. But I will say that my middle son had a speech delay and I felt terrible thinking I had done something to cause it. I had always read to him daily and still do. I constantly talked to him and asked questions. He just did not want to talk. Turns out there is a genetic component to speech delay.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2018, 02:50 PM
MrsJ's Avatar
MrsJ MrsJ is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Maryland
Posts: 21
Default

If dcp are not willing to seek advise from a physician I would offer to reassess at a certain point. Maybe 3 mos timeframe. Then chat again. Keep notes in that time.
Sometimes people can speak but have trouble communicating in whole or get caught up somewhere along the way through the day. There could be so many ways to assist and sounds like room for improvement. I would def get this checked out.
Do you offer or are you required to give screenings as part of daycare every 6 mos?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
With nothing else present it is not. It *might* be selective mutism but that is not a developmental disability. Impulse control issues at this age are also pretty common especially in a child that has no boundaries and structure.
I agree.... I have a non-verbal 3 yr old too.
Not because of any developmental disability or because of any medical issues....just because the child refuses.

There is no boundaries, no structure, no rules and definitely no consequences for ANYTHING at home so child simply refuses to speak here because they can.

I see it more of a control issue or power struggle in my situation though because my kiddo will chit chat all day long with others when they want to but the minute any response or reply is required, the child simply clams up and won't say a thing.

I had a discussion in regards to saying "Please" and "Thank you" with the parent as the child was missing out on some things here as those words are absolutely necessary in some situations and the parent looked at me like I had 3 heads and said "Well they don't HAVE to say Please or Thank you at home so I don't see why they HAVE to here either."

Um, yeah....

So I just go about my day and don't push any type of speaking but the child definitely misses out on a lot of things because they won't speak but until that becomes the child's issue the child is going to stay mute. By choice.

As far as the assessment goes....I inform parent but I can't make or force them have their child assessed. I wouldn't term a family for not having an assessment done unless the behavior (requiring assessment) became a danger or big issue here.

If that happened, I would term based on not being able to provide what child needs but not because parent didn't or wouldn't get an assessment done.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 AM
SunflowerMama's Avatar
SunflowerMama SunflowerMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I agree.... I have a non-verbal 3 yr old too.
Not because of any developmental disability or because of any medical issues....just because the child refuses.

There is no boundaries, no structure, no rules and definitely no consequences for ANYTHING at home so child simply refuses to speak here because they can.

I see it more of a control issue or power struggle in my situation though because my kiddo will chit chat all day long with others when they want to but the minute any response or reply is required, the child simply clams up and won't say a thing.

I had a discussion in regards to saying "Please" and "Thank you" with the parent as the child was missing out on some things here as those words are absolutely necessary in some situations and the parent looked at me like I had 3 heads and said "Well they don't HAVE to say Please or Thank you at home so I don't see why they HAVE to here either."

Um, yeah....

So I just go about my day and don't push any type of speaking but the child definitely misses out on a lot of things because they won't speak but until that becomes the child's issue the child is going to stay mute. By choice.

As far as the assessment goes....I inform parent but I can't make or force them have their child assessed. I wouldn't term a family for not having an assessment done unless the behavior (requiring assessment) became a danger or big issue here.

If that happened, I would term based on not being able to provide what child needs but not because parent didn't or wouldn't get an assessment done.
YES! Sounds like we have the exact same kiddo. She'll chatter up a storm with the other kids but when I'm giving her direction and asking her to do something she doesn't want to do...silent time. Parents ask I don't do time outs as they don't do that at home so it's something foreign to her. They said she'll "make her own choices when the time is right and she wants to do it". Oh...ok I told her we do time outs here and she'll eventually figure out the process and the action/consequence concept. Lol! No boundaries or structure at home and it's so, so obvious here.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Mom2Two's Avatar
Mom2Two Mom2Two is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: U. S. A.
Posts: 1,234
Default

I'm wondering what you mean by saying that she's "very intelligent"? What specifically are you basing that assessment on? It's pretty easy to misjudge a situation if you are just shooting from the hip without comparing to a detailed set of milestones.

The way you describe the girl, I'm wondering why you put up with her. If her behavior is that bad, really something does need to be done, even if it's having the parents step up.

If the grunting is behavior, I would intervene as a provider, and I wouldn't put up with the parents ignoring it.

If the child is not truly able to speak normally, you need to insist on a real assessment. You aren't a professional, and severe speech delays should be professionally assessed. And we aren't professionals either. You are dealing with a potentially serious situation and just asking us really shouldn't cut it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
speech - delayed, speech - milestones, won't talk

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Daycare Child-Need Advice Hoovert12 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 03-29-2016 03:38 PM
Tom Copeland-OT but Any Advice Is Appreciated mommyneedsadayoff Daycare and Taxes 6 01-22-2016 11:43 AM
Need Advice about Co-worker stephanie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 06-13-2015 06:18 PM
Advice on if I should be worried mommyneedsadayoff Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 03-17-2015 03:05 AM
Research for a book - What advice would you give? DBug Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 11-01-2014 12:30 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming