Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Am I a Sitter?

I got a fb message from someone and I'm not quite sure how to respond, as I don't know if I should be offended or just laugh.

The message goes like this: "Hi, I'm going to be looking for a sitter soon as mine is retiring. You have posted on someone else's post and I was wanting to ask you some questions. Are you a sitter?"

I don't feel like I am a sitter considering all the training I've had to do and keep doing for my license. To me a sitter is someone who goes to someone's house and watches kids on occasion.

Would you even bother correcting her? Then again maybe she is looking for a sitter for her home, but I don't think this is the case.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
I got a fb message from someone and I'm not quite sure how to respond, as I don't know if I should be offended or just laugh.

The message goes like this: "Hi, I'm going to be looking for a sitter soon as mine is retiring. You have posted on someone else's post and I was wanting to ask you some questions. Are you a sitter?"

I don't feel like I am a sitter considering all the training I've had to do and keep doing for my license. To me a sitter is someone who goes to someone's house and watches kids on occasion.

Would you even bother correcting her? Then again maybe she is looking for a sitter for her home, but I don't think this is the case.
You can but be prepared to hear it all the time. It is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would ignore the question and simply state “I am a licensed daycare provider and have x amount of experience working with children. What hours are you looking for etc etc.”
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Daycare.com Member

OOO i hate that even my daycare families would call me a "sitter" like "hey i told so and so i know of a great sitter for their little girl"

I'm thinking man if you think these are sitter prices i should charge more. GOOD NESS that upsets me

BUT i always ignored it with a smile on my face
Old 02-08-2018, 04:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

It can get annoying. Anymore I'm at the point where it's "Pay me on time, follow my policies, don't be a headache and you can call me whatever the @#&* you want to."
Old 02-08-2018, 05:20 AM
Day Care Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I would ignore the question and simply state “I am a licensed daycare provider and have x amount of experience working with children. What hours are you looking for etc etc.”
Yes reply like this.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:50 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Exactly this

FWIW, some of my families also refer to me as a "sitter." It doesn't bother me much. Call me whatever you want. Just follow my rules and pay on time and we're good.

Sometimes I think it's simply because parent don't know the different between babysitters, nanny's in-home daycares, in-home preschools, etc. I have a mom now who kept calling her ex provider a nanny. She was convinced the provider was a nanny and not an in home provider.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks everyone! I replied similar to what Ariana had suggested. She asked for our location, and so I told her. Haven't heard back, so I guess we aren't in a convenient location for her.

From now on I will try not to take it personally. Like some of you have said as long as they pay me and follow the policies then that's what matters most.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
Thanks everyone! I replied similar to what Ariana had suggested. She asked for our location, and so I told her. Haven't heard back, so I guess we aren't in a convenient location for her.

From now on I will try not to take it personally. Like some of you have said as long as they pay me and follow the policies then that's what matters most.
I don’t think people know that it is a degrading term to be honest. Most people think of anyone who watches kids as “sitters”! A friend of mine called me a sitter once and
I told her why I hated that term. She apologized and said she had no clue. There are a lot of clueless people out there
Old 02-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I don’t think people know that it is a degrading term to be honest. Most people think of anyone who watches kids as “sitters”! A friend of mine called me a sitter once and
I told her why I hated that term. She apologized and said she had no clue. There are a lot of clueless people out there
I completely agree!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

I tend to let it go when people say that.

But to answer the email, I would state that you are a licensed daycare provider and start asking your questions about days/hours care needed, age of child etc.

If it's one of those people who wants some version of: "I'm looking for care on Mondays with alternating Fridays" etc etc, then advise them to look for a sitter or a pt time nanny.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
This is what I would do too.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

It used to bother me but there are more important things to worry about. And just think of all the times you or I may have inadvertently called a custodian a janitor or an administrative assistant a secretary. As times and political correctness change, so do the terms. Sometimes we're slow to keep up and don't realize the difference until we get corrected.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
It used to bother me but there are more important things to worry about. And just think of all the times you or I may have inadvertently called a custodian a janitor or an administrative assistant a secretary. As times and political correctness change, so do the terms. Sometimes we're slow to keep up and don't realize the difference until we get corrected.
That's a very good point!

Tags
babysitter, babysitter vs provider