Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 AM
WBee's Avatar
WBee WBee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 88
Question STINK of Marijuana

I'm looking for advice regarding a child in my care who comes in stinking of marijuana everyday. When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it. At first only dad smelled of it and now as time continues the child and his belongings have been smelling of it really bad. Would you send out a notice to all parents telling them it's not permitted or would you approach the family directly? I also had a grandparent (different family)pick up last week who smelled of it while I had a DHS person here checking in on a state aid child. I do not want the liability of these situations nor do I want the smell in my home.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2018, 09:48 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBee View Post
I'm looking for advice regarding a child in my care who comes in stinking of marijuana everyday. When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it. At first only dad smelled of it and now as time continues the child and his belongings have been smelling of it really bad. Would you send out a notice to all parents telling them it's not permitted or would you approach the family directly? I also had a grandparent (different family)pick up last week who smelled of it while I had a DHS person here checking in on a state aid child. I do not want the liability of these situations nor do I want the smell in my home.
If it is not legal in your state that would be a huge liability.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,600
Default

Are you licensed? I would contact my licensing rep to ask for advice.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Mom2Two's Avatar
Mom2Two Mom2Two is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: U. S. A.
Posts: 1,239
Default

I hadn't even thought of this situation--not legal here but it could still happen. What can we do about second hand smoke? It's dangerous for the child, but will licensing help?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2018, 10:44 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 391
Default

I would talk to the family. Maybe let them know that when dhs was visiting, they noticed the child smelled of marijuana?
Its a weird situation. In my state medical marijuana is legal, and i truly believe it doesnt do people any harm. The only thing that would bother me is the smell in my home but otherwise i wouldnt get cps involved or be mad the parent is even smoking it. But thats based on my research, personal opinion, and experience seeing how much it helped a family memebr with their pain and medical situation.
Maybe if you say it like i stated above (dhs noticed) , the parent will be embarrassed and make sure the childs clothes arent near any smoke.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:19 PM
WBee's Avatar
WBee WBee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 88
Default

I like the DHS idea. It is medically legal here so I can't assume how/why they're using it but like I said, I don't want the liability or the 'stink". I am licensed
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:40 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

Itís legal in RI for medical use. And if they grow their medicine, especially indoors, everything will stink close to harvest time. Itís not detrimental to the child to be exposed to the pollen. I use it topically and frequently smell like it. But itís under my clothing (shoulders and ankles) so itís not enough to make the kids smell.

Iím not sure how a parent smelling like it would be a liability to anyone. But I would be concerned if a childís belongings smelled like it and I was inspected in a state where itís not legal. In California you canít get away from it. My entire neighborhood smells like it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-08-2018, 02:05 PM
LostMyMarbles's Avatar
LostMyMarbles LostMyMarbles is online now
LostMyMarbles
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 220
Default

I had a parent who was a heavy smoker. I told her that her daughter's belongings needed to be put and sealed in a plastic bag upon arrival, due to her coat smelling of smoke. I explained that when her coat is near other coats, they picked up the odor and parents were complaining. Embarrassment happened. Mom stopped smoking in the car.

You could do the same, only substitute the word smoke for your dubbie, joint , Mary Jane, a fat one, etc. (I had help with these terms from my bff).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,628
Default

In my state medical marijuana is legal but smoking it is not.
Those that use it medicinally use it in alternative methods that do not include smoking it.

If I smelled marijuana on a DCK and suspected the parent was smoking, as a mandated reporter I would HAVE to report.

My personal feelings about it one way or another play no role in state licensing requirements for mandated reporter.


Smoking cigarettes in a vehicle WITH a child is also illegal in my state.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:46 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
In my state medical marijuana is legal but smoking it is not.
Those that use it medicinally use it in alternative methods that do not include smoking it.

If I smelled marijuana on a DCK and suspected the parent was smoking, as a mandated reporter I would HAVE to report.

My personal feelings about it one way or another play no role in state licensing requirements for mandated reporter.


Smoking cigarettes in a vehicle WITH a child is also illegal in my state.
But would a parent smoking marijuana be abuse or neglect to a child?
Even if they werent smoking inside the car with the child, that smell takes up a whole house and gets into everything. I dont do daycare in my home, but my home is a twin home and we are attached by the garage. The neighbor smokes marijuana in his garage. I can smell it INSIDE my car! Its aweful. Im glad im moving soon.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
But would a parent smoking marijuana be abuse or neglect to a child?
Even if they werent smoking inside the car with the child, that smell takes up a whole house and gets into everything. I dont do daycare in my home, but my home is a twin home and we are attached by the garage. The neighbor smokes marijuana in his garage. I can smell it INSIDE my car! Its aweful. Im glad im moving soon.
Not my decision to make.

Smoking marijuana is illegal so if a child's reeks like it, I must report. CPS will decide if it's worth investigating or not.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-2018, 11:32 AM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

Many medical uses that do not involve smoking, still stink. Including growing. Growers and their kids...stink. It's a very pungent plant when it matures. Topical use reeks more than smoking it too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
Many medical uses that do not involve smoking, still stink. Including growing. Growers and their kids...stink. It's a very pungent plant when it matures. Topical use reeks more than smoking it too.
So far with those I've had contact with have not smelled at all. I have a current family who's pre-K (not enrolled here) child uses medical marijuana for a severe form of epilepsy.
The child nor the family has ever even remotely smelled.

I would also think there is a distinctive difference between the actual odor of the plant or topical use and the small of marijuana smoke.

I mean if you sniff a pack of unlit cigarettes, there is a smell or odor too but its a much different odor when it's from actual smoke.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:39 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
Iím not sure how a parent smelling like it would be a liability to anyone. But I would be concerned if a childís belongings smelled like it and I was inspected in a state where itís not legal. In California you canít get away from it. My entire neighborhood smells like it.
I am glad we are not in the same neighborhood

People do it where I am but it seems they do not do it or want to smell of it - especially in front of their children.

If it is legal I would send a note to all families saying you do not want the odor of smoke of any kind (marijuna, vaping or cigarette smoke, etc.) in the area children are in.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
So far with those I've had contact with have not smelled at all. I have a current family who's pre-K (not enrolled here) child uses medical marijuana for a severe form of epilepsy.
The child nor the family has ever even remotely smelled.

I would also think there is a distinctive difference between the actual odor of the plant or topical use and the small of marijuana smoke.

I mean if you sniff a pack of unlit cigarettes, there is a smell or odor too but its a much different odor when it's from actual smoke.
When used for epilepsy they use a few drops of oil under the tounge. And the oil doesnít smell or have THC in it at all.

When used to stimulate appetite or for pain....it usually stinks. Depending on delivery method. When used topically for joint pain....it reeks.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
When used for epilepsy they use a few drops of oil under the tounge. And the oil doesnít smell or have THC in it at all.

When used to stimulate appetite or for pain....it usually stinks. Depending on delivery method. When used topically for joint pain....it reeks.
This little one takes a pill.
The epilepsy is a rare form so maybe the difference ?
I don't know. I just know I've never smelled anything on the child or family.

In MN medical cannabis is provided to patients as a liquid, pill, topical or vaporized delivery method that does not require the use of dried leaves or plant form.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:24 PM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
This little one takes a pill.
The epilepsy is a rare form so maybe the difference ?
I don't know. I just know I've never smelled anything on the child or family.

In MN medical cannabis is provided to patients as a liquid, pill, topical or vaporized delivery method that does not require the use of dried leaves or plant form.
My aunt vapes for chronic pain. It comes in an oil or wax i think. It doesnt smell as bad as the neighbor, but doesnt have a good smell either. Im sure the parent in question uses a joint if it smells that bad.

OP did you talk to the parent?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-09-2018, 02:04 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
This little one takes a pill.
The epilepsy is a rare form so maybe the difference ?
I don't know. I just know I've never smelled anything on the child or family.

In MN medical cannabis is provided to patients as a liquid, pill, topical or vaporized delivery method that does not require the use of dried leaves or plant form.
Vape doesnít stink as much as smoke...but topical sure does.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-09-2018, 02:09 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

I also have to say....if I as legally using cannibas, and my CCP turned me in for it without ever even asking me about the odor...the lack of trust would send me elsewhere. Trust goes both ways. The OP hasnít mentioned any other issues with the family that would lead her to believe neglect or abuse might be an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
Vape doesn’t stink as much as smoke...but topical sure does.
I did a bit of research (lightly) and found that generally there isn't an odor with high quality brands. It is dependent on the ingredients and the general consensus seems to be that those that use topically like the medicinal benefits but don't like the odor for many reasons and therefore choose options that have ingredients that mask the smell or don't smell at all.

fwiw~ that wasn't scientific research.... just a bunch of googling and reading on a medical marijuana forum board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
I also have to say....if I as legally using cannibas, and my CCP turned me in for it without ever even asking me about the odor...the lack of trust would send me elsewhere. Trust goes both ways. The OP hasn’t mentioned any other issues with the family that would lead her to believe neglect or abuse might be an issue.
I specifically discuss with ALL my families my legal obligations to report anything illegal. This discussion includes an opportunity for the family to share that type of thing with me. Trust goes both ways.


...and to clarify, I did not advise OP to report. I only said that I would IF I suspected the parent was smoking.
Smoking marijuana in my state is illegal. If I suspected medicinal use via legal methods, I wouldn't report.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 02-09-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-09-2018, 03:12 PM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
I also have to say....if I as legally using cannibas, and my CCP turned me in for it without ever even asking me about the odor...the lack of trust would send me elsewhere. Trust goes both ways. The OP hasnít mentioned any other issues with the family that would lead her to believe neglect or abuse might be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
I also have to say....if I as legally using cannibas, and my CCP turned me in for it without ever even asking me about the odor...the lack of trust would send me elsewhere. Trust goes both ways. The OP hasnít mentioned any other issues with the family that would lead her to believe neglect or abuse might be an issue.
Thats kinda what I was getting at. Reporting because they smoke doesnt seem neccesary. If the child is happy, healthy, has all their needs met, and their are no signs of abuse, then I dont think there is anything you need to report. Burglary is also illegal, but i wouldnt call cps about it...
What parents do in their free time is none of my business, unless it harms the child.
I looked up a mandated reporters responsibilty and this is all it says on substance abuse
"
chronic and severe use of alcohol or a controlled substance by a parent or person responsible for the care of the child that adversely affects the child's basic needs and safety; ...
or prenatal exposure."

If the parent smoking affects the childs basic needs and safety, then yes report!
Otherwise..
Like I said before, approach the parent. Maybe let them know that you are a smoke free zone and the smell of smoke from their child is bothering you and the children. They will probably be so embarrassed they will be more careful.
I agree that your house smelling of smoke could be a liability because DHS may think its you and that would affect your license.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,026
Default

Another issue is the parent using then driving with the child in the car? No different than drinking and driving. Since it has become legal in my state the number of DUI's have gone up.

I have never been around it nor know what it smells like. I'm thinking though if it's in the child's clothing, hair, and the parents there probably is a lot of smoking going on around that child. Would it affect the child in anyway being around all the smoke?

Does the smell wash out or is it like cigarette smoke where it stays in your clothes? I'm wondering if a child went to school smelling like this if the teacher would meet with the parents about it? Especially if it started smelling the classroom up?
__________________
Each day is a fresh start
Never look back on regrets
Live life to the fullest
We only get one shot at this!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-09-2018, 03:33 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I did a bit of research (lightly) and found that generally there isn't an odor with high quality brands. It is dependent on the ingredients and the general consensus seems to be that those that use topically like the medicinal benefits but don't like the odor for many reasons and therefore choose options that have ingredients that mask the smell or don't smell at all.

fwiw~ that wasn't scientific research.... just a bunch of googling and reading on a medical marijuana forum board.



I specifically discuss with ALL my families my legal obligations to report anything illegal. This discussion includes an opportunity for the family to share that type of thing with me. Trust goes both ways.


...and to clarify, I did not advise OP to report. I only said that I would IF I suspected the parent was smoking.
Smoking marijuana in my state is illegal. If I suspected medicinal use via legal methods, I wouldn't report.
High quality brands don’t work any better...they just stink less and cost 3 times more. I can’t afford them myself. But it’s the only thing that takes away my joint pain. I usually only stink for my 530am kids, lol. I put them back to bed then go take my shower. I use it at night. But my bedroom smells distinctly of cannibas. And if I’m having a bad spell I occaisonally need to use it during the day as well.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-09-2018, 03:39 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

This 2 oz jar of stinky but effective salve is nearly $30.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-09-2018, 03:42 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

Stinky $30 salve in 2oz container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.82 MB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-09-2018, 03:56 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBee View Post
I'm looking for advice regarding a child in my care who comes in stinking of marijuana everyday. When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it. At first only dad smelled of it and now as time continues the child and his belongings have been smelling of it really bad. Would you send out a notice to all parents telling them it's not permitted or would you approach the family directly? I also had a grandparent (different family)pick up last week who smelled of it while I had a DHS person here checking in on a state aid child. I do not want the liability of these situations nor do I want the smell in my home.
Ok, I think we got off track on this. So back to the OP.

I think not caring for the smell is reasonable. So you donít want someone you are giving close personal care to all day to stink. Thatís an appropriate thing to bring up with a parent.

What liability do you feel itís causing you if an adult smells of it? People who smoke it regularly smell like it even when they arenít smoking. So odor is no indication of intoxication.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-09-2018, 05:28 PM
BrynleeJean BrynleeJean is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 210
Default

OO yea i wouldn't want my home smelling suspicious. I've had parents come in and smell cigarette smoke on a diaper bag and comment to me. and i don't smoke. so yea that would be an issue. Legally id be required to report it to licensing maybe id talk to my licensor first so it wasn't so formal just things would get real serious real quick.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-09-2018, 05:32 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean View Post
OO yea i wouldn't want my home smelling suspicious. I've had parents come in and smell cigarette smoke on a diaper bag and comment to me. and i don't smoke. so yea that would be an issue. Legally id be required to report it to licensing maybe id talk to my licensor first so it wasn't so formal just things would get real serious real quick.
How does anyone know what you personally smell though? Honestly....I can smell cigarette smoke, but I don't even smell poopy diapers anymore unless they are really bad. Thank goodness. Though if the child smells of it, that can make your home smell. But not just someone dropping off smelling like it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Denali's Avatar
Denali Denali is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska
Posts: 174
Thumbs up

Itís legal in my state. Medical and personal use. I would call licensing to check what you should do.

Personally I think it fine to pertake - as long as you are treating it like booze. To me (because itís legal here) itís no different then drinking. If you are smoking a joint (or high by other means) and driving with your child (or without honesty) Iíll be making a phone call.

I know people who have greatly benefited from it. As long as people are being safe and responsible then good for them.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Tigerlilly's Avatar
Tigerlilly Tigerlilly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 65
Default

It's legal here so I wouldn't make a stink about it. Chances are the parent is probably a grower and that is why the smell is so strong. I know too many people that use it and have normal productive lives so unless you see some indication or abuse or neglect there isn't anything to report. You can terminate them for stinking if it is a major issue.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is online now
starting daycare someday
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlilly View Post
It's legal here so I wouldn't make a stink about it. Chances are the parent is probably a grower and that is why the smell is so strong. I know too many people that use it and have normal productive lives so unless you see some indication or abuse or neglect there isn't anything to report. You can terminate them for stinking if it is a major issue.
I would have to. I hate the smell and get headaches from it. Legal or not, marijuana will never be around me. A friend even recommended it because I live on pain pills. I said no thanks, the pills work just fine.
__________________
Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
They are also our future.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:16 PM
MelissaP's Avatar
MelissaP MelissaP is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
In my state medical marijuana is legal but smoking it is not.
Those that use it medicinally use it in alternative methods that do not include smoking it.

If I smelled marijuana on a DCK and suspected the parent was smoking, as a mandated reporter I would HAVE to report.

My personal feelings about it one way or another play no role in state licensing requirements for mandated reporter.


Smoking cigarettes in a vehicle WITH a child is also illegal in my state.

Nope, it's not illegal in Minnesota to smoke in a car with a child. They tried to pass it but they can't control what your doing in your personal property. You can't smoke with your daycare kids in the car, but that's a whole other situation.

I am not a smoker, I used to be. I hate when people spread around misinformation.

https://smoking.uslegal.com/smoking-...-in-minnesota/
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:01 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBee View Post
When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it.
"DCD, Thanks for meeting with me. I need to make you aware that the smell of pot on your kids clothes, hair and belongings is really becoming a problem for me. I need you to handle it as soon as possible. It cannot continue."

Fyi: I had to do the same for rose scented essential oils recently too. A person can only take so much. The local middle school has an Axe body spray ban, too.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:12 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaP View Post
Nope, it's not illegal in Minnesota to smoke in a car with a child. They tried to pass it but they can't control what your doing in your personal property. You can't smoke with your daycare kids in the car, but that's a whole other situation.

I am not a smoker, I used to be. I hate when people spread around misinformation.

https://smoking.uslegal.com/smoking-...-in-minnesota/
I don't have minor children and don't transport DCK's and I don't smoke at all so am definitely not up to date on which laws passed and then got rescinded in those departments.... so definitely not spreading misinformation purposely.

Law or not, it's still not a very healthy or appropriate thing to do in my honest opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-12-2018, 07:14 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Law or not, it's still not a very healthy or appropriate thing to do in my honest opinion.
It makes me so mad seeing people smoke in the car, windows up even, with their kids! How selfish!
I saw a very pregnant woman smoking a cigerette and wanted to slap it out of her hand. I just cant believe people.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 AM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
It makes me so mad seeing people smoke in the car, windows up even, with their kids! How selfish!
I saw a very pregnant woman smoking a cigerette and wanted to slap it out of her hand. I just cant believe people.
It's almost as bad to smoke in your car or house without your kids. You shouldn't smoke anywhere that it's going to build up if you're kids are going to be using that space. Nicotine on the carseat is not safe or healthy for children.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
"DCD, Thanks for meeting with me. I need to make you aware that the smell of pot on your kids clothes, hair and belongings is really becoming a problem for me. I need you to handle it as soon as possible. It cannot continue."

Fyi: I had to do the same for rose scented essential oils recently too. A person can only take so much. The local middle school has an Axe body spray ban, too.
This is what I would do, too.

LMAO at the Axe ban. Our schools have an essential oil ban. Teachers sending kids home due to odor. I have the same ban. Eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass, tea tree, lavendar,etc ALL on the same day (different kids) OH MY. Everyone's clothes got bagged, everyone had a 'ho bath' and parents were told NO MORE that day.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Claraskids's Avatar
Claraskids Claraskids is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
This is what I would do, too.

LMAO at the Axe ban. Our schools have an essential oil ban. Teachers sending kids home due to odor. I have the same ban. Eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass, tea tree, lavendar,etc ALL on the same day (different kids) OH MY. Everyone's clothes got bagged, everyone had a 'ho bath' and parents were told NO MORE that day.
I have a big sign on my front door and it's in my handbook - "No Essential Oils!" Just the scent of it on someone while grocery shopping will set off a migraine. I will absolutely not tolerate it in my home. Ironically I have no problem with MJ. We are hoping that eventually MN will allow migraine sufferers to use it medicinally. The few times I had access to cbd oil or edibles, it kicked my migraine to the curb within 20 minutes. Obviously never done during daycare hours.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-22-2018, 11:17 AM
MelissaP's Avatar
MelissaP MelissaP is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I don't have minor children and don't transport DCK's and I don't smoke at all so am definitely not up to date on which laws passed and then got rescinded in those departments.... so definitely not spreading misinformation purposely.

Law or not, it's still not a very healthy or appropriate thing to do in my honest opinion.
Absolutely! Nasty habit and makes everyone sick and smell like @ss. (p.s. I used to smoke, but not around my kids, in my house or my car).

Melissa
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-22-2018, 11:28 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claraskids View Post
I have a big sign on my front door and it's in my handbook - "No Essential Oils!" Just the scent of it on someone while grocery shopping will set off a migraine. I will absolutely not tolerate it in my home. Ironically I have no problem with MJ. We are hoping that eventually MN will allow migraine sufferers to use it medicinally. The few times I had access to cbd oil or edibles, it kicked my migraine to the curb within 20 minutes. Obviously never done during daycare hours.
YES! I haven't smoked since my I had kiddo #1, but it is literally the ONLY thing that stopped a migraine dead in it's tracks, and I was able to be fully functional. When it's legalized for medical use, I'm on board.

I loathe pharmaceuticals, and have tried everything. The only close second was maxalt, not covered by insurance, combined with oxycodone. NOT a pretty combination for regular use.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Claraskids's Avatar
Claraskids Claraskids is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
YES! I haven't smoked since my I had kiddo #1, but it is literally the ONLY thing that stopped a migraine dead in it's tracks, and I was able to be fully functional. When it's legalized for medical use, I'm on board.

I loathe pharmaceuticals, and have tried everything. The only close second was maxalt, not covered by insurance, combined with oxycodone. NOT a pretty combination for regular use.
Have you tried straight CBD Hemp oil (No THC)? I've been using it for about six weeks now and my daily migraines are gone! I also had a long-standing prescription for Maxalt and oxy, but the side effects made it impossible to function.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marijuana, smokers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical Marijuana Story.... Country Kids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 07-03-2014 11:52 AM
Daycare Owners Say They Smoke Medical Marijuana With Kids In The House Wubby Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 20 06-30-2014 11:16 PM
Why Do I Stink At This??? wahmof3 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 62 08-07-2013 10:44 AM
First Fatality Since New Law Country Kids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 51 12-19-2012 06:39 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming