Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default How Many oz Milk?

How many ounces of milk do your 6mo drink on average? And how frequently? Mine is breastfed & I've noticed she still seems hungry sometimes after a bottle. Mom is ok with feeding as much as she needs, but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure on what I should be expecting. Also, how much baby food do you feed during the day at 6 mo? I'm not on the food program so not sure what their recommendations are. My own children nursed so I never measured oz & I just mashed up bits of what we ate as a family so I haven't done this for quite a while.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

I think pediatricians recommend 4-6 oz every 3-4 hours. I nurse on demand so Im not even sure what my LO is drinking. I also nurse and then do baby food for breakfast lunch and dinner times. She usually eats about half a jar of food. If I did food first, she would eat a whole Jar and nurse about an hour later.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

Also adding that my LO Is almost 19 lbs and almost 7 months. Shes definitely on the higher end of weight for a breastfed baby. We didnt start food until 3 weeks ago either. Shes always been a biggie.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamanda View Post
How many ounces of milk do your 6mo drink on average? And how frequently? Mine is breastfed & I've noticed she still seems hungry sometimes after a bottle. Mom is ok with feeding as much as she needs, but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure on what I should be expecting. Also, how much baby food do you feed during the day at 6 mo? I'm not on the food program so not sure what their recommendations are. My own children nursed so I never measured oz & I just mashed up bits of what we ate as a family so I haven't done this for quite a while.
I was told to expect my breast milk DS to eat 6-8 ounces every 3-4 hours at 6 months old. The idea is they need 1.2-2 ounces per hour to sustain them. Milk should not excede 32 ounces per day though. If you are nearing that number, maybe discuss with the parents the idea of starting solids.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Daycare.com Member

I've had babies drink anywhere from 6oz every 2 hours to 3oz every 4 hours. I always base it off their cues. For food, we do baby led weaning so they are served food at mealtimes and eat what they want.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

Mine was drinking 5 oz every 3-3 1/2 hours. She was only 14 pounds at 6 months though.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

For breastfed infants it's 1-1 1/2 ounces per hour. The milk changes with them, so the amount doesn't change. You just have to be careful not to stretch out their tummies so that they THINK they need more when they don't.

If they really want more, despite paced feeding measures, then it's time to intro self-feeding solids.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

I never fed my breastfed baby more than 3-4oz bottles at a time.

At daycare I would send 4 bottles per day until he was about 3 months and then went to 3 slightly bigger bottles, about 11-13oz during daycare and then breastfed on demand at home.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

one of dc infants (6mo) drinks 7-8 oz every 4 hours. The second one (8mo) drinks 5-6 oz every 3 hours.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Mine takes 8 oz every 3-4 hours.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

She was only wanting 3 oz at a time every 3 hours or so until about a week ago. This week she's been drinking about 6 oz every 3-4 hours which sounds much more normal compared to what you all have shared. I also started giving her baby food here this week & she is loving it! She'll eat half a jar plus some baby cereal in addition to the bottle.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:08 PM
Daycare.com Member

every baby is different.
i nursed my son for 12-13 months and the breastmilk was the same measurement of what the baby formula was for the formula fed babies. i didnt usually pay attention because i breastfed but when i pumped i was truly concerned, it was like 2-3 oz or 4 oz or something shocking like that when babies his age took 8 oz formula,
they have charts on generally how much to give babies formula and breastfed on top sites when you google, i looked at them. but in the end babies gonna eat what he wants to be full, so don't give him too little is what i mean not too much and over feed good luck
Old 02-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

My 9mth and my 10mth each take 6oz every 3 hrs plus baby food at breakfast and lunch times. My 4mth old, who is a super chunk, takes 5oz every 2.5-3hrs.

Tags
feeding - infants, infant - meals, milk