Default Style Register Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Provider - Extended Illness
Unregistered 07:09 AM 04-18-2018
Hi all,
I'm feeling really bad about this situation and would appreciate some feedback.

My 2yo has been with the same home-based provider since she was 2 months old. We love her and she is great. The problem is that she has been in the hospital for the past 3 weeks. She doesn't know when she'll be able to return to work and has told me that she knows she'll need to go to a rehab facility before returning home. She provided us with the name of a friend who could provide backup care, but TBH I was not impressed with this lady and her house reeked of cat pee. So, I've been piecing together care and taking off work here and there for the past few weeks. After finding out that she would be needing to go to rehab and would be out for some time yet, I decided to enroll my daughter at the daycare center where we were planning to send her to preschool in another year or two. I called my current provider to let her know and she was very upset. She loves my daughter and was really hoping she could still have her when she returned to work. So now I feel terrible, but I just don't see how I could continue taking off work and piecing together care indefinitely. Am I a jerk for kicking this poor woman when she's down? Should I have waited longer?
Gemma 09:48 AM 04-18-2018
I don't think you done wrong, If your provider can't provide care for your child, you have all the rights to look for someone who can.
Unregistered 10:30 PM 04-18-2018
I don't think you are wrong. I mean, she can't expect you to not have childcare for an unforseen amount of time. However, I would definitely wait and see if that center is a right fit for you. You never know, you could not be super ready for center care, and want to go back when she gets back to working.
Reply Up