Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Feeding Infant

I have a 6 1/2 yr old dcb that is a huge stressor. Cries all the time if he's not in the swing or being held. He's here 3 days a week. Dad told me yesterday that he doesnt' do that at home. I call BS. No way he doesn't do that at home. So anyway, mom just texted me and said that they went to the dr today and the dr said that he can eat 3 meals a day. So I said, what's his schedule then? He comes here 7:30/8:00 in the morning until 4:30. She said if you can give him 2 meals at your house and we'll give him 1 meal at home. It is hard for me in the morning because I have kids being dropped off anywhere from 7:30 to 9:00 in the morning. If I tell her that he can't be fed until 9:00 I know she'll say fine, but then he's gonna be screaming. Our son went to daycare for 3 years. Never once did he eat breakfast at daycare and we dropped him off at 7:30.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

Assuming he's 6.5 months (not years)?

Tell the family your meal time schedule and tell them they need to work around it. If you don't serve breakfast: tell them that. Tell them you serve morning snack at 9:00 and ask if they want him to have that as one of his meals.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

Is he having a bottle or breastfed before he comes? If he is not, that is the problem.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

If you don't offer breakfast, then she needs to handle it or find a provider who does.

IMHO, It is uncommon to not offer breakfast. It is one of the bigger write-offs.

Previous breakfast poll. - https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38255
Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
Is he having a bottle or breastfed before he comes? If he is not, that is the problem.
He has a bottle at home about 5-6 a.m. and comes here anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30
Old 11-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
If you don't offer breakfast, then she needs to handle it or find a provider who does.

IMHO, It is uncommon to not offer breakfast. It is one of the bigger write-offs.

Previous breakfast poll. - https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38255
It's just kinda chaotic with breakfast here because of the drop off times of kids. Anywhere from 7:30 to 9:00 usually and half the kids eat at home, half don't. I don't want to have an extremely drawn out breakfast routine.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
Assuming he's 6.5 months (not years)?

Tell the family your meal time schedule and tell them they need to work around it. If you don't serve breakfast: tell them that. Tell them you serve morning snack at 9:00 and ask if they want him to have that as one of his meals.
oops yea lol. he's 6.5 months old
Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
It's just kinda chaotic with breakfast here because of the drop off times of kids. Anywhere from 7:30 to 9:00 usually and half the kids eat at home, half don't. I don't want to have an extremely drawn out breakfast routine.
Sorry if that was worded poorly. It was not meant as a judgment, just a statement.

If you don't want to do breakfast, by all means, don't.

My drop off is also 730-9. No drop-offs after 9 allowed. Breakfast served at 800, snack at 10. 3 arrive for breakfast each morning, 3 arrive already fed after 820.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

I am confused. 3 meals as in feed him food not bottles 3 times? I have infants that age and older and they get food and bottles. I feed bottles on demand and food with my regular meal schedule.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Sorry if that was worded poorly. It was not meant as a judgment, just a statement.

If you don't want to do breakfast, by all means, don't.

My drop off is also 730-9. No drop-offs after 9 allowed. Breakfast served at 800, snack at 10. 3 arrive for breakfast each morning, 3 arrive already fed after 820.
No offense taken at all.

I think this is what I need to do is say breakfast is at 8:00. If you're here fine, if you're here at 8:20, then the child has to wait until snack. I guess my concern is that this child is, well how do I put it nicely, a pain the rear hahaha! he is not happy unless he's in the swing or on my lap. He does absolutely nothing else without screaming and I mean screaming. My concern is if he is fed a bottle at home at 5-6 then he's really gonna be crabby if he doesn't eat solids until 8 or so
Old 11-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Can you give him another bottle in between so he doesn’t get too cranky before 9am? Maybe sit him in his high chair with it while you answer the door? Or give him a few baby puffs? I do this with the 12 month olds but I can see and hear them in the kitchen when I am in my entryway.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Daycare.com Member

.This is your chance,tell them breakfast at home.If they have an hour leeway there is no reason he can't be fed at home 7-730. Ifixed that problem with all my parents.Istopped feeding on arrival.Inoticed that the kids started to waste the breakfast I made.Ifound parents were giving snacks before arrival.Changed my program to first meal at 9:30 breakfast snack.Still offered grain,fruit milk and a protein just renamed it.Istated to parents that studies showed children benifited from family meals.Igave them notice that starting in 2 weeks time Iexpected all children to arrive fed and dressed for the day.No exceptions.Made for a less chaotic morning in DC.Everyone was pretty happy to have breakfast snack before outside play.Iwould tell the parent lunch at your house is the only meal other than formula offered to infants under 12 months.Formula is still the most important nourishment for him good luck stay strong.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Can you give him another bottle in between so he doesn’t get too cranky before 9am? Maybe sit him in his high chair with it while you answer the door? Or give him a few baby puffs? I do this with the 12 month olds but I can see and hear them in the kitchen when I am in my entryway.
I would love to give him baby puffs, but he's barely sitting up yet. I had another little one (sibling to another dcb) started today. The dcb this post is about is 4 days older than the dcg that started today. It's amazing how different they are. She's sitting up all by herself, plays, doesn't scream all day. What a difference

Tags
breakfast - not included, confinement equipment, meals provided