Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Fence Question

My own kids are 8 & 10 and we have no personal need for a fence. We are considering one for the purpose of the little daycare kids, mostly toddlers. It would be a small fence as we have a few acres and only want to enclose the play area. However, it would include the play set my own kids use. Can this be a 100% write off as I have no reason to fence in my own kids?
Old 04-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers View Post
My own kids are 8 & 10 and we have no personal need for a fence. We are considering one for the purpose of the little daycare kids, mostly toddlers. It would be a small fence as we have a few acres and only want to enclose the play area. However, it would include the play set my own kids use. Can this be a 100% write off as I have no reason to fence in my own kids?
The conservative answer: deduct your time-space% of the cost. Why? Because your own children do get the benefit of the fence.
The assertive answer: deduct 100% of the cost. Why? Because you wouldn't put up a fence except for your business.
The compromise answer: Deduct the business use percent of the cost based on how many hours in a typical week it is used for business purposes. So, if you have 6 day care children in the play area 2 hours a day x 5 days a week = 60 hours of business use per week. Two of your own children in the play area 2 hours a day x 7 days a week = 28 hours of person use per week. 60 divided by 88 hours = 68% business use.
No matter what the cost of the fence, you can deduct it in one year.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
The conservative answer: deduct your time-space% of the cost. Why? Because your own children do get the benefit of the fence.
The assertive answer: deduct 100% of the cost. Why? Because you wouldn't put up a fence except for your business.
The compromise answer: Deduct the business use percent of the cost based on how many hours in a typical week it is used for business purposes. So, if you have 6 day care children in the play area 2 hours a day x 5 days a week = 60 hours of business use per week. Two of your own children in the play area 2 hours a day x 7 days a week = 28 hours of person use per week. 60 divided by 88 hours = 68% business use.
No matter what the cost of the fence, you can deduct it in one year.
Thank you for your perspective. What records should I keep from tracking and how long if I want to use the compromise way?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default fence record keeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers View Post
Thank you for your perspective. What records should I keep from tracking and how long if I want to use the compromise way?
Keep your notes as to how you calculated your actual business use percentage for at least three years after filing your tax return.

Tags
deductions - fence, fenced yard, time space percentage, time space percentage - limits, tom copeland