Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Paying to Hold Spot

Hi There, this is my first time posting. I am looking for advice on the following:
A family has placed a deposit to hold a spot for their child who turns 2 in 2 months. In addition to deposit, family has agreed to pay for two additional months to continue to hold the spot until child starts when he turns 2. This has happened many times before however we were full all of those times so naturally we would not hold a spot for free and parent had to pay as if the child was in attendance. However, this time we have a few openings. My question is, would you still charge parents for the 2 months to hold the spot if you still have openings? Hope I articulated my scenario clearly...
Old 09-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would charge full rate for the slot. Either they take it or it is offered to the next client.

What does your contract say, though? Going back on that after the fact would not be my first choice.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:58 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would only offer to hold a spot for free if the spot was not open until the day they needed it. Otherwise they can pay for the spot (to hold an open spot) or they can check back closer to the time when they require the spot to see if it is open. I do require a two week deposit which they lose if they do not enrol at the time they said they needed (to give me time to advertise).

Hope that helps!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I would charge full rate for the slot. Either they take it or it is offered to the next client.

What does your contract say, though? Going back on that after the fact would not be my first choice.
My contract says they pay the deposit which they have. Verbally we agreed they would also pay for the months up until child starts,as if the child was present. This is custom when we are full and its the only spot as I will not hold a spot that long for free. Not sure if to still charge for the months I have openings because if they had just waited w/o paying any the spot might still be available.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I would only offer to hold a spot for free if the spot was not open until the day they needed it. Otherwise they can pay for the spot (to hold an open spot) or they can check back closer to the time when they require the spot to see if it is open. I do require a two week deposit which they lose if they do not enrol at the time they said they needed (to give me time to advertise).

Hope that helps!
This sounds fair...

Tags
deposits, ethics, holding a space, holding fee, professionalism