Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Was I Wrong?
sahm1225 06:49 PM 09-23-2019
Child sent home at 11am for diarrhea 3x in 30 minutes. According to parents was totally at home all weekend.
Today was hysterical crying on & off from 8am to 1pm when I called for pick up. Wouldnít eat and nothing I did consoled him. I was Ready to cry with him. NOT typical of this child. Normally eats nonstop and happy go lucky toddler.
Dcm is questioning why Iím excluding tomorrow.
Reply
e.j. 07:20 PM 09-23-2019
I would have sent him home, too, and I would also have excluded for at least 24 hours after his last bout. Poor kid! It sounds as though he was miserable!
Reply
sahm1225 08:21 PM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I would have sent him home, too, and I would also have excluded for at least 24 hours after his last bout. Poor kid! It sounds as though he was miserable!
Oops missed a detail -.Sent home Friday for diarrhea.
Reply
rosieteddy 05:27 AM 09-24-2019
I would have put down for nap.Then when he got up offered snack and reassessed .If he was still crying then I would have called parents and told no DC the next day needed to see Dr possibly.Could have been that he was coddled all weekend and upset about having to go to DC.
Reply
Ariana 05:31 AM 09-24-2019
No not wrong at all and she sent him to you sick! Just reiterate why you are excluding him and ignore any drama from her.

Kids need to be here ready for the day not crying for no reason. I sent home once for unexplained crying. As soon as mom came to the door she stopped, it was so weird but whatever. First time in over a year that I sent this child home so something was clearly wrong.
Reply
Cat Herder 05:38 AM 09-24-2019
I would have excluded for 48 hours, minimum.
Reply
sahm1225 08:00 AM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would have put down for nap.Then when he got up offered snack and reassessed .If he was still crying then I would have called parents and told no DC the next day needed to see Dr possibly.Could have been that he was coddled all weekend and upset about having to go to DC.
I tried. I held him, rocked him, tried everything. His screaming reminded me of when my son was a baby and would get nasty ear infections. It was hysterical crying that couldnít be soothed. I even put him in a stroller to go on a walk. Heís not the only child here, which Iím sure makes a difference on the amount of care he needed. But it was the type of crying that makes you want to cry because youíre not able to soothe the child.

What gets me is that they insist heís fine at home.... every. Single.. time. At this point, Iím ready to say Ďthen obviously weíre not a good fití because I get a totally different child when heís sick here but he acts fine at home.
Reply
CountryRoads 08:15 AM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I tried. I held him, rocked him, tried everything. His screaming reminded me of when my son was a baby and would get nasty ear infections. It was hysterical crying that couldnít be soothed. I even put him in a stroller to go on a walk. Heís not the only child here, which Iím sure makes a difference on the amount of care he needed. But it was the type of crying that makes you want to cry because youíre not able to soothe the child.

What gets me is that they insist heís fine at home.... every. Single.. time. At this point, Iím ready to say Ďthen obviously weíre not a good fití because I get a totally different child when heís sick here but he acts fine at home.
I have a dcm who also always says he's fine at home, but it always comes out later that he was NOT fine. I think she knew she was trying to send him to daycare sick, so she said that hoping I would just keep him.

Anyway, I would've sent home, too. It's clear he wasn't feeling good. And I can bet that he was NOT fine at home.
Reply
Snowmom 08:23 AM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I tried. I held him, rocked him, tried everything. His screaming reminded me of when my son was a baby and would get nasty ear infections. It was hysterical crying that couldnít be soothed. I even put him in a stroller to go on a walk. Heís not the only child here, which Iím sure makes a difference on the amount of care he needed. But it was the type of crying that makes you want to cry because youíre not able to soothe the child.

What gets me is that they insist heís fine at home.... every. Single.. time. At this point, Iím ready to say Ďthen obviously weíre not a good fití because I get a totally different child when heís sick here but he acts fine at home.
They always say that.
And it's never true.
Reply
springv 08:28 AM 09-24-2019
We exclude a minimum of 24/48 hours regardless of symptoms
Reply
e.j. 11:46 AM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Oops missed a detail -.Sent home Friday for diarrhea.
So just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly: He was sent home Friday for diarrhea and was fine all weekend according to dcm? Was inconsolable on Monday when he was back in day care so you sent him home again saying he couldn't return the following day and dcm is questioning that?

If the above is what happened, I'm not sure I would have excluded the next day if he had no other symptoms other than being super cranky. I probably would have told the dcm to bring him home, keep an eye on him and see how he was feeling the following day. I would have asked her to keep him home the next day if he was still miserable but as long as he didn't have any symptoms and seemed his normal self again, I probably would have allowed him to return to care. That's not to say that I think you were wrong for excluding; I just might have handled it a bit differently if it were me.
Reply
Ariana 11:53 AM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I tried. I held him, rocked him, tried everything. His screaming reminded me of when my son was a baby and would get nasty ear infections. It was hysterical crying that couldnít be soothed. I even put him in a stroller to go on a walk. Heís not the only child here, which Iím sure makes a difference on the amount of care he needed. But it was the type of crying that makes you want to cry because youíre not able to soothe the child.

What gets me is that they insist heís fine at home.... every. Single.. time. At this point, Iím ready to say Ďthen obviously weíre not a good fití because I get a totally different child when heís sick here but he acts fine at home.
He might be totally fine at home because that is where he gets one on one attention and they can soothe him the way he wants. I always tell parents that kids are generally happier to be home when sick because here there is a lot of action and no one on one attention.
Reply
Tags:24/48, 24/48 hours, 24/48 rule, exclusion policy, illness policy
Reply Up