Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providers That Has Husband Working From Home
284878 01:19 PM 03-22-2020
My DH is being required to work from home this week. He will be working at home Wednesday (while I am open) and Friday (when I am closed).

For now, He can go to our church with wifi or to my parent's house without wifi (they are snowbirds and not home). But he was told that if it goes well during the crisis, he could earn the right to continue afterward.

My kids are not quite, especially in the morning. I use the whole upstairs for care expect for our bedroom (although, I use our room to nap our son)

He could go to the basement but it is cooler and little natural light. Space could be created for him.

I am looking for some pointers on how we both can work in the same space. How do you make it work?
Ariana 03:37 PM 03-22-2020
We have a den so it makes it pretty easy. Can you set up a desk or space for him in an upstairs bedroom away from everyone? We are pretty loud too especially when we are getting ready to go outside as my front porch is right by the den but he is able to close the door and is ok. He sometimes has meetings but can mute his microphone if needed.

The basement might work well too. I replaced all of my basement lightbulbs with full spectrum bulbs which means they mimic natural light. Such a big difference. I run my daycare down there 70% of the time so I really needed something to brighten the space up. There are windows but the sun faces the other way so not bright.
jenboo 05:05 PM 03-22-2020
I would make him an office space in the basement. Switch out the light bulbs, get a little space heater and he can go on a walk during a break.
DaveA 03:19 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I would make him an office space in the basement. Switch out the light bulbs, get a little space heater and he can go on a walk during a break.
We did this for DW for her mainly online schoolwork. Good light, good desk and chair, and plenty of storage are must haves.
Cat Herder 04:59 AM 03-23-2020
I set up DH's office in one of the spare bedrooms on the opposite side of the house. It works well because when he is off work, he closes the door. Having that boundary makes a huge difference.

Back when our three kids lived at home I had to set it up in our bedroom, that was not great. I felt like I was sleeping in a storage room with one whole wall filled with shelves and boxes to the ceiling. The room smelled of toner and ink. His desk blocked the window. He would answer the phone or send an email at inappropriate times. I felt like I lived on a shelf, waiting for him to come home for years. I don't miss it.
284878 06:29 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
We have a den so it makes it pretty easy. Can you set up a desk or space for him in an upstairs bedroom away from everyone? We are pretty loud too especially when we are getting ready to go outside as my front porch is right by the den but he is able to close the door and is ok. He sometimes has meetings but can mute his microphone if needed.

The basement might work well too. I replaced all of my basement lightbulbs with full spectrum bulbs which means they mimic natural light. Such a big difference. I run my daycare down there 70% of the time so I really needed something to brighten the space up. There are windows but the sun faces the other way so not bright.
I'll have to look into those light bulbs.

We only have three bedrooms, DD (she's home because schools are closed) DS (which is the playroom) and our room.

We don't have a door (or bathroom) downstairs, so I can't move the DC downstairs.
284878 06:34 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have a small office in the basement, it is just messy right now and he doesn't like it but it would work if this went long term. Space heaters are not allowed per licensing (even those Eden pure type)
Pestle 07:14 AM 03-23-2020
My husband has ADHD and has been working in an open office for three years. He's finding the living room just the right balance of activity and accountability vs. sitting alone in a silent room. He says he's getting a lot more done with just screaming babies vs. 100 chit-chatting coworkers.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
I have a small office in the basement, it is just messy right now and he doesn't like it but it would work if this went long term. Space heaters are not allowed per licensing (even those Eden pure type)

I would think in this time of uncertainty, the space heater violation would be the least of their worries.

I'd use it anyways. (I can't believe I am actually telling someone to disregard regulations) but if it's the only way for your husband to continue working while you do as well then I say do what you need to do.

I'd fight a citation until the very end in times like these.
Ariana 02:50 PM 03-23-2020
I'll have to look into those light bulbs.

We only have three bedrooms, DD (she's home because schools are closed) DS (which is the playroom) and our room.

We don't have a door (or bathroom) downstairs, so I can't move the DC downstairs.
Can he fit in the corner of your bedroom? Just a thought!

I bought my bulbs at Lowes and not this brand but this is the idea:
https://www.amazon.com/NorbSMILE-Adv..._=sb_s_sparkle
284878 07:13 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Can he fit in the corner of your bedroom? Just a thought!

I bought my bulbs at Lowes and not this brand but this is the idea:
https://www.amazon.com/NorbSMILE-Adv..._=sb_s_sparkle
WOW, those are expensive.

There really is no space in our room. When he does work on a computer at home, he tends to sit on our bed, he also tends to nap on our bed too.
284878 07:20 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would think in this time of uncertainty, the space heater violation would be the least of their worries.

I'd use it anyways. (I can't believe I am actually telling someone to disregard regulations) but if it's the only way for your husband to continue working while you do as well then I say do what you need to do.

LOL - I can't believe that you are either.
Second Home 07:57 PM 03-23-2020
My husband has set up in my playroom , it's the only room that has the wires/ internet /modem connections that he needs to set up all the electronics and testing equipment he needs.
Luckily or unluckily I don't have any dck since they are all staying home with their parents for the 2 week school closure so I'm not using the room.
We'll see what happens after that .
284878 06:59 AM 03-24-2020

Well now what do we do? Our furnace won't come on today. It is about 64 in here if it goes below 62 I am supposed to close. I have only essential families here.
DH is working downstairs, so now it's colder than normal.
We contacted our nephew, who just happens to be in heating and cooling and has saved my DC from closing before but now between the new state laws, governor's order and the health department order, he is not allowed here during business hours. Ugh.

Should I explain to the DCf what is going on and let them decide?
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 03-24-2020
Well now what do we do? Our furnace won't come on today. It is about 64 in here if it goes below 62 I am supposed to close. I have only essential families here.
DH is working downstairs, so now it's colder than normal.
We contacted our nephew, who just happens to be in heating and cooling and has saved my DC from closing before but now between the new state laws, governor's order and the health department order, he is not allowed here during business hours. Ugh.

Should I explain to the DCf what is going on and let them decide?
I would just have him come on over if he is available. These are essential workers and this is an extraordinary circumstance. Yes, I'd send the parents a quick text to let them know why. Any opposed are free to pick up.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that my licensor would approve it if I called.
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would just have him come on over if he is available. These are essential workers and this is an extraordinary circumstance. Yes, I'd send the parents a quick text to let them know why. Any opposed are free to pick up.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that my licensor would approve it if I called.
Yes this ^^

I am so sorry.... when it rains; it pours sometimes.
Annalee 09:37 AM 03-24-2020
My brother is working from home and we live side by side. He built my large add-on daycare room 17 years ago but there has been some trim and a few things that was not done correctly. He has fixed all of that. I hope he works from home forever

He just mutes his conference calls and we work since we are low on kids right now
284878 09:40 AM 03-24-2020
Yes this ^^

I am so sorry.... when it rains; it pours sometimes.
So true, my nephew still hasn't arrived, it is now 63 in here and the kids are gone because dcb got a stomach ache and to be on the safe side I sent them both home (siblings). He doesn't normally get sick here so when he started getting sluggish, I knew something wasn't right. Ugh. There my favorite to have here.
Tags:home office
Reply Up