Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Works in Prison with High Covid Cases
Ac114 11:49 AM 04-20-2020
Hi ladies! Iíve been closed since March 23rd when our state issued a stay put order and you must operate under a specific pandemic license. It was originally for 2 weeks only. At the end of the 2 weeks, it was an additional 4 weeks. Schools just been announced to be closed the remainder of the year and high possibly for fall as well. Anyways- I am supposed to reopen May 1st. I asked for parents to pay for 50% the first 2 weeks and then nothing to hold their spots after that. One of my parents is a correction officers at a smaller prison in the next county over that has over 200 confirmed cases and about 100 pending tests. I do not want to accept this family back in care and unsure if Iím being unreasonable and letting fear control my decision. Would you let this family go? And if so would you refund the 2 weeks of 50% pay? I dont really have anything in my handbook pertaining to this kind of situation.
Reply
flying_babyb 04:45 PM 04-20-2020
I think you gatta do whats safest for you and your center. I know one of our parents works at a place where theres high exposure. He sent the kids off to another relitive and told us they would be back after covid. He told us he didnt want to risk us or the other kids.
Reply
Unregistered 05:45 AM 04-21-2020
I would not let the family go. They could be taking tons of precautions at home. Once things open you risk ANY family bringing covid into your daycare. Its just nature that people will start to let their guard down and not be as proactive in trying to prevent the illness. People will start going out in crowds again and people will start getting ill.
Reply
AmyKidsCo 12:39 PM 04-21-2020
Can you have an honest conversation with the family? Let them know you're concerned and ask what they're doing at home. I've been open this whole time and know that my families are following CDC guidelines.
Reply
Valerie928 03:05 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Hi ladies! Iíve been closed since March 23rd when our state issued a stay put order and you must operate under a specific pandemic license. It was originally for 2 weeks only. At the end of the 2 weeks, it was an additional 4 weeks. Schools just been announced to be closed the remainder of the year and high possibly for fall as well. Anyways- I am supposed to reopen May 1st. I asked for parents to pay for 50% the first 2 weeks and then nothing to hold their spots after that. One of my parents is a correction officers at a smaller prison in the next county over that has over 200 confirmed cases and about 100 pending tests. I do not want to accept this family back in care and unsure if Iím being unreasonable and letting fear control my decision. Would you let this family go? And if so would you refund the 2 weeks of 50% pay? I dont really have anything in my handbook pertaining to this kind of situation.
Seriously? What state are you in? Just curious about the school not opening in the fall, this is crazy
Reply
Ac114 03:15 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Seriously? What state are you in? Just curious about the school not opening in the fall, this is crazy
Iím in Ohio. Iím sure the stay put order will be extended past May 1st. This is the only family working outside of the home. Everyone else is working from home or on some kind of pandemic leave.
My son and husband are both high risk and immunocompromised which is why I didnít want to risk unnecessary exposure. Iím not even sure I will reopen at this point.
Reply
284878 05:24 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Seriously? What state are you in? Just curious about the school not opening in the fall, this is crazy
She meant school year, not calendar year.
Reply
284878 05:36 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Iím in Ohio. Iím sure the stay put order will be extended past May 1st. This is the only family working outside of the home. Everyone else is working from home or on some kind of pandemic leave.
My son and husband are both high risk and immunocompromised which is why I didnít want to risk unnecessary exposure. Iím not even sure I will reopen at this point.

I wouldn't term because of her job. I would start writing a return to DC policy.

My DH work has created a policy and mailed it out. They are required to check there temp daily and get tested, If xyz occurs ECT.

Remember, stay he orders being lifted are not going to poof everything back to normal, so slowly bringing back families as they go back to work would be ideal. And requiring proof that they are back to work is something that I have been considering to request.

Honestly, I need a break from all of this, so I may just close and go on vacation when the state reopens. I will have to go alone because DH is itching to get back to work.
Reply
BoysMom 12:11 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
She meant school year, not calendar year.
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Schools just been announced to be closed the remainder of the year and high possibly for fall as well.
No, she mentioned not starting back in the fall as a possibility too. I know there are several states considering this, as well as some universities, but no decisions have actually been made that far.
Reply
e.j. 04:17 PM 04-22-2020
Personally, I wouldn't necessarily let them go but I would have an honest conversation with them, telling them what my concerns are. I'd ask them to keep their child home until the number of cases at the prison decrease - preferably to zero. If they can't wait until that happens, I would ask them to find a new day care, at least for the time being. I wouldn't be willing to risk the health and life of my family, especially knowing they're at high risk. Doctors and nurses, who are generally very careful not to expose themselves to any illnesses, are still getting this virus. Mistakes happen. It wouldn't be worth the risk to me. JMO
Reply
Tags:covid-19 and daycare
Reply Up