Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions

Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions What books and stories do you like best. Reviews are welcome.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 AM
My Lil' Monkeys's Avatar
My Lil' Monkeys My Lil' Monkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 199
Default Coloring Books

I'm just wondering how everyone handles coloring books. I have a 3 yr old dcg who loves to color... but I have noticed that she only likes to color a very tiny section and then rip the page out and move to the next page.... I know coloring books are not that expensive... but after her ripping 4 pages out and coloring one little thing (doesn't touch the back of the page) I've now asked her to color more on the page.

Do you let them only color a small section and move on to the next page or ask they color a little more? What kinds of coloring books do you have?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 AM
dEHmom's Avatar
dEHmom dEHmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada EH
Posts: 2,355
Default

I would take the page out that she wants to color, and tell her when she is finished the picture, then she can pick a new one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 AM
My Lil' Monkeys's Avatar
My Lil' Monkeys My Lil' Monkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybee0585 View Post
I would take the page out that she wants to color, and tell her when she is finished the picture, then she can pick a new one.
I did take her first picture out and now she's just ripped them out like she can do it.. normally she asks. When she showed me the first picture I said she did a great job but there is more she could color and she said she was "done" and wanted another... so I suggested she turned the page over and color it. I thought she did until I heard her ripping pages.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 AM
MissAnn's Avatar
MissAnn MissAnn is offline
Preschool Teacher
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,195
Default

I don't do coloring books. I like the kids to draw. They might scribble at first...but they start getting very creative in actually producing their own pictures. Another thing I do....I have a light board. I put a color sheet on the white board (usually something printed off the computer) and then the kids lay another blank piece of paper over it and trace the picture. Today they made tarantulas. They love this!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 AM
safechner's Avatar
safechner safechner is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 744
Default

What I do is coping the coloring book and print it out to my daycare kids. I can do it again if they want the same picture. I think it is simple and save my time and money.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybee0585 View Post
I would take the page out that she wants to color, and tell her when she is finished the picture, then she can pick a new one.
That. I've been dealing with this with my DD too. I don't let her have access to the coloring book until she's really done.

I do use coloring books as well as blank paper. My DD draws a lot of her own stuff and does seem to prefer it, but I don't let her waste the blank paper either. She enjoys coloring things in sometimes. I can relate. I like coloring and I suck at drawing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiez01 View Post
I'm just wondering how everyone handles coloring books. I have a 3 yr old dcg who loves to color... but I have noticed that she only likes to color a very tiny section and then rip the page out and move to the next page.... I know coloring books are not that expensive... but after her ripping 4 pages out and coloring one little thing (doesn't touch the back of the page) I've now asked her to color more on the page.

Do you let them only color a small section and move on to the next page or ask they color a little more? What kinds of coloring books do you have?
I no longer use coloring books but in the past when I did, I limited the number of pages per day they were allowed to use. For EXACTLY the reasons you stated...I got tired of them wasting the pages and wanting to use/waste so many without actually using them for more than a few scribbles. So I started to limit them, for example they could color 2 pages per day (front and back) and if they wanted to color more, they got plain paper. Now I only use plain paper and do not allow coloring books at all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 AM
melskids's Avatar
melskids melskids is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,767
Default

you guys are totally gonna laugh but i have a tub labeled "paper scraps" and i have the kiddos trained. if they only use a portion of the paper, fine. but then they must cut the extra off and add it to the scrap tub. even little 1 inch pieces get saved. (foam felt and tissue paper too) then, when they know they only need a small piece for something, say, two black eyes, they have to take it out of the scrap tub.

free art doesnt mean free to waste LOL

but seriously, i think half the fun is digging around the scrap tub for "just the right piece". they love it...


as far as coloring books, i would make them finish the picture, or limit the number of pages you give out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 AM
lil angels's Avatar
lil angels lil angels is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 645
Default

I tell them to pick out a pick and then I rip it out for them and they know it has to be done front and back before they get another one. I print things online a lot to then there is only one for everyone when they are done they are done.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Luna's Avatar
Luna Luna is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melskids View Post
you guys are totally gonna laugh but i have a tub labeled "paper scraps" and i have the kiddos trained. if they only use a portion of the paper, fine. but then they must cut the extra off and add it to the scrap tub. even little 1 inch pieces get saved. (foam felt and tissue paper too) then, when they know they only need a small piece for something, say, two black eyes, they have to take it out of the scrap tub.

free art doesnt mean free to waste LOL

but seriously, i think half the fun is digging around the scrap tub for "just the right piece". they love it...


as far as coloring books, i would make them finish the picture, or limit the number of pages you give out.
I love this! I've been trying to save the little bits in separate baggies etc...never occurred to me to let the kids sort them out themselves, duh.
With colouring books, I just tear out a page for each child & they colour until they think they're done.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 AM
jessrlee's Avatar
jessrlee jessrlee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 529
Default

Actually I just have a stack of coloring books (15 or so) that I bought at Dollar tree. I do not allow them to rip the pages out. Every great once in a while I will let a big kid have their page if they finish it but the littles don't remove the pages. My kiddos tend to just color anything. Even if the picure has already been colored on. I buy 3-5 new coloring books at Christmas time and weed out a couple of old ones.

One activity that keeps my kiddos busy for hours is white boards. You can buy 81/2 x 11 at Walmart for $4 each and packs of 8 markers for $5. I also buy erasers so we don't waste paper towels. I just replaced the markers after 2 years of use and picked up a couple of new boards and erasers.

Last edited by jessrlee; 01-24-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM
melskids's Avatar
melskids melskids is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,767
Default

we love our white boards too!!! except we use old socks as erasers. lol
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 AM
countrymom's Avatar
countrymom countrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 4,756
Default

I have tons of coloring books (my mom gave me lots) well, when I rearranged my room, I went thru them and found that pictures where half colored. So my new rule is, is that I'm in charge of the books and I rip out the pictures, so they have to ask for another picture. the problem with letting them draw whatever they want on blank paper was that I would get kids who would do a couple of scribbles and then want another one and then cry when I said no. Also I found plain paper more money than coloring books.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 AM
VTMom's Avatar
VTMom VTMom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 371
Default

I have a doodle pad for each kid with their names on it. If they want to go through it and use the whole thing in one week, that's their option but they are told that that's what they get and when it's gone it's gone. I noticed that when it's their "own", they seem to be a little more conservative with paper waste!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
DCMom's Avatar
DCMom DCMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybee0585 View Post
I would take the page out that she wants to color, and tell her when she is finished the picture, then she can pick a new one.
This is what I do also. I only use coloring books as the 'going home' activity after the final cleanup of the day, so one picture is generally all they get to before mom or dad pick them up.

I remember LOVING to color as a kid and my dck's really enjoy it too. It gives me an excuse to buy coloring books in every possible character, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
SandeeAR's Avatar
SandeeAR SandeeAR is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,188
Default

For those using white boards, don't you worry about the marker getting on things? Or do you use washable markers? Don't know if those work on white boards?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
momofsix's Avatar
momofsix momofsix is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandeeAR View Post
For those using white boards, don't you worry about the marker getting on things? Or do you use washable markers? Don't know if those work on white boards?
I use crayons on the white boards, less smearing.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
jessrlee's Avatar
jessrlee jessrlee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 529
Default

I use regular dry erase markers. The kiddos only mark on the boards. They must stay seated at the table with the markers and the boards.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMom View Post
This is what I do also. I only use coloring books as the 'going home' activity after the final cleanup of the day, so one picture is generally all they get to before mom or dad pick them up.

I remember LOVING to color as a kid and my dck's really enjoy it too. It gives me an excuse to buy coloring books in every possible character, lol.
This is a good idea; I've been wondering what I could do with the kiddos after cleaning up in the afternoon. Right now we don't clean up because I don't see the point (they just screw it all up again; my DD is the only one who 'gets' cleaning).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Abigail's Avatar
Abigail Abigail is offline
Child Care Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,413
Default

Doesn't anybody stock up on the .15 notebooks at back-to-school time? I'm going to use these, as someone in another post mentioned awhile back, then each child will get their own notebook to color in until they use it up and it's on 15 cents! May not look so pretty with the lines, but I'm sure the kids could get over it. I also like coloring books though, but do like the 2 page limit per day. They still add up in cost even at a buck a piece.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:40 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
Doesn't anybody stock up on the .15 notebooks at back-to-school time? I'm going to use these, as someone in another post mentioned awhile back, then each child will get their own notebook to color in until they use it up and it's on 15 cents! May not look so pretty with the lines, but I'm sure the kids could get over it. I also like coloring books though, but do like the 2 page limit per day. They still add up in cost even at a buck a piece.
Yep I do. Each bigger child gets their own and is free to use it as wanted/needed. We also have blank paper, colored blank paper, and construction paper all up for grabs.

I also stock up on packs of markers, crayons, glue sticks, regular glue, and whatever else strikes my fancy!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
books, coloring, coloring books

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Books and Toddlers DancingQueen Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 8 04-12-2011 09:02 AM
Free Books From Dolly Parton E Daycare Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 14 02-19-2011 04:59 AM
Free Books For Your Daycare! seashell Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 09-18-2010 07:31 AM
Children's Books according to theme Abigail Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 2 08-21-2010 06:56 AM
Children's Books Abigail Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 7 08-15-2010 06:06 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming