Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Little Food Stealer
bunnyslippers 09:37 AM 04-26-2013
I have an 18 month old little girl here. She is as sweet as could be, and absolutely adorable. Her mom is itty-bitty skinny, and very concerned with a healthy diet. She has told me that she prefers for her family to eat mostly fruits and veggies, with protein. Very little carbs, if any.

Lately, this little girl will eat anything she sees! I have found her picking up left over cheerios that I haven't cleaned up yet off of the floor under the table. I found her eating the scraps in the seat of a high chair immediately after I lifted a baby out of it. Just now, she was eating off of a plate I was just about to clear.

I honestly think this little munchkin is starving!!!! I have never seen a kid eat so much, ever. I feed her a ton, and she just can't get enough. I think she tries to get as many carbs as she can while she is here. It is crazy!
daycarediva 09:44 AM 04-26-2013
grains ARE part of a healthy diet, while I agree that the american diet contains far too many serving sizes of them they ARE an important part of a healthy diet.

Kids very rarely overeat, they eat when they're hungry, they stop when they're full. As long as the pediatrician isn't concerned with her weight, and there isn't a reason for her overeating or being so hungry she is eating scraps (LOL) I wouldn't deny her more food, even if Mom is concerned. I would point out to her that she is probably going through a growth spurt.

Poor hungry kiddo eating off the floor!
bunnyslippers 10:01 AM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
grains ARE part of a healthy diet, while I agree that the american diet contains far too many serving sizes of them they ARE an important part of a healthy diet.

Kids very rarely overeat, they eat when they're hungry, they stop when they're full. As long as the pediatrician isn't concerned with her weight, and there isn't a reason for her overeating or being so hungry she is eating scraps (LOL) I wouldn't deny her more food, even if Mom is concerned. I would point out to her that she is probably going through a growth spurt.

Poor hungry kiddo eating off the floor!
I never deny her food ~ she eats more than any other kid here ~ and she eats often. I just can't believe how much she eats, and what she will do if she stumbles upon even a crumb. It is really sad!
sharlan 09:52 AM 04-26-2013
That sounds like my 19 mo. She out eats all of my kids, but is tiny, only 20 lbs. She totally feeds herself and doesn't spill a drop. She's the first to the table and the first to finish.

Mom feeds her breakfast at home. She comes here and eats a bowl of cereal with milk or a waffle, with 1/2 a banana. Then my dh feeds her 1/2 a hash brown from McD's. She will then eat 1/4 of my Greek yogurt and blueberries.

For lunch, she eats as much as my 3 1/2 yo. She will eat 4 chicken nuggets, 1/2 C of veggies, and 1/2 an orange. She'll eat a whole grilled cheese sandwich, 1/2 C of applesauce, and 1/2 C of veggies.

Snack can be a whole container of yogurt (6 oz) and 2 whole graham crackers.
Starburst 10:10 AM 04-26-2013
The poor little girl is probably starving. Every time I go on the first phase of the South Beach Diet (high protein, low carb) I get very cranky! Is she allowed to eat dairy or meat? Don't get me wrong I love veggies and fruits, but they are not very filling as a main course. I took a kids nutrition class last semester and it's not really good to completely eliminate an entire food group from a child's diet, moderation is key.

Also if you look at food labels you will see that fiber, which helps make you feel full and keeps you regular, comes from complex carbs (good carbs like grains). Sugar comes from simplex carbs (bad carbs like sugary sweets)
Attached: NF.bmp (180.1 KB) 
Michelle 10:19 AM 04-26-2013
I am not sure I would say she is starving.. she might just have an obsession with food. I have a kid that will eat a full meal and then try to scoop food out of other kids mouths and try to eat that too... will eat anything and everything off the ground..dirt, mud, sand, and even lick the bottom of his shoe.

He is so obsessed with food but on the thin side, so I don't know I just have to watch him constantly
AmyKidsCo 11:27 AM 04-26-2013
Maybe she's just going through a growth spurt?
Meyou 04:13 AM 04-27-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Maybe she's just going through a growth spurt?
I was going to say a huge growth spurt along with low carb at home might make her appetite seem extra crazy. I know my littles eat their body weight when they grow sometimes. It's amazing how much more food they have to eat when they are only eating healthy choices compared to junk.
Reply Up