Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:05 PM
LWICD's Avatar
LWICD LWICD is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
Default Paying Taxes on LLC

I own a large center licensed for 102 children. We are growing fast but we have not officially made a profit. We keep money in our business account but that is because bills are spaced out. If you look at the end of the month expenses are still more than income. My question is what are these quarterly tax payments and how are they estimated. We opened March 25th 2013 I didnt pay any for 4/15/13 deadline. I run the daycare and up until last week I also worked a 20-35 hr week at my last job. My husband also works a full time job outside of the center. I only have done one owner draw for 1000 and i used it for supplies for the center. I did this because my bank deposited the check into my business account and I paid for the purchases out of my personal account before realizing that it would not be an expense from business account. So i entered it as income and then did owner draw to pull it back out then put it back into my personal account to cover my supplies I order from my personal account. That set aside how do I figure what I owe quarterly? Also is this pretty much the "taxes withheld" from the business income or owner income. Meaning if I get 200000 of income from parent payments but after bills and payroll I make 50000 then do I pay estimated tax on the 50000 or on the whole 200000?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 AM
suehelen's Avatar
suehelen suehelen is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 37
Default

You pay taxes on net profit, not gross income.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,060
Default Estimated taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWICD View Post
I own a large center licensed for 102 children. We are growing fast but we have not officially made a profit. We keep money in our business account but that is because bills are spaced out. If you look at the end of the month expenses are still more than income. My question is what are these quarterly tax payments and how are they estimated. We opened March 25th 2013 I didnt pay any for 4/15/13 deadline. I run the daycare and up until last week I also worked a 20-35 hr week at my last job. My husband also works a full time job outside of the center. I only have done one owner draw for 1000 and i used it for supplies for the center. I did this because my bank deposited the check into my business account and I paid for the purchases out of my personal account before realizing that it would not be an expense from business account. So i entered it as income and then did owner draw to pull it back out then put it back into my personal account to cover my supplies I order from my personal account. That set aside how do I figure what I owe quarterly? Also is this pretty much the "taxes withheld" from the business income or owner income. Meaning if I get 200000 of income from parent payments but after bills and payroll I make 50000 then do I pay estimated tax on the 50000 or on the whole 200000?
You would pay taxes on the $50,000 (your net income/profit).
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 AM
suehelen's Avatar
suehelen suehelen is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 37
Default

I think that's what I said.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM
LWICD's Avatar
LWICD LWICD is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
Default

So would it be safe to say that if I make 10000 from parent payments then I pay 6000 in payroll and 5000 in bills and expenses and come out to a net loss of 1000 then I will not be responsible for paying in any quartly payments since I had a loss.

On the flip side if I make 1000 then I take that times 15.3% for self employment tax then another 20-25% for income tax since that is the bracket that my husband and I would usually fall in? Then my "bring home" would be what is left and the other funds I would keep in another account and pay quarterly?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,060
Default Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWICD View Post
So would it be safe to say that if I make 10000 from parent payments then I pay 6000 in payroll and 5000 in bills and expenses and come out to a net loss of 1000 then I will not be responsible for paying in any quartly payments since I had a loss.

On the flip side if I make 1000 then I take that times 15.3% for self employment tax then another 20-25% for income tax since that is the bracket that my husband and I would usually fall in? Then my "bring home" would be what is left and the other funds I would keep in another account and pay quarterly?
The answer is yes if your are self employed. If you have set up a corporation for your center, the taxes are different.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
LWICD's Avatar
LWICD LWICD is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
Default

We are an LLC so is that considered a corp or self employed
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,060
Default Llc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWICD View Post
We are an LLC so is that considered a corp or self employed
Sorry I didn't clarify my earlier answer. There are different types of LLCs so it matters what type you are. If your center is a single person LLC, then you would file taxes as if you were self employed and my answer is correct. If you are a partnership LLC or a corporate LLC the tax forms and the taxes are different.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
llc, taxes, tom copeland

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taxes Chatter Box Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 04-25-2013 05:06 PM
Taxes Nguild Daycare and Taxes 3 03-11-2013 09:53 AM
Confused About Taxes (Quarterly vs Yearly +Spouse) Unregistered Daycare and Taxes 10 06-06-2012 05:24 PM
Paying Taxes Jero999 Daycare and Taxes 4 10-14-2011 02:46 PM
Real Estate Taxes....and Mortgage Interest My4SunshineGirlsNY Daycare and Taxes 11 01-23-2011 08:20 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming