Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Soccermom's Avatar
Soccermom Soccermom is offline
Dazed and confused...
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PEI
Posts: 625
Default Update On The DCG Who Stole DD Toys

So she shows up this morning with mom and a ziploc with a bunch of other things she has taken from my home in the past few weeks....

DCM made her give it to me and apologize but then DCM tells me that her DD is not a thief and does not want her to get a reputation as a thief...well she did steal which says thief to me BUT she is only 8. She said because DD doesn't know why she did it, means that she didn't steal intentionally....ya ok.

She told me she does not want anyone to know about this and that DD does not want my kids to know about it and does not want me to tell my husband.

So we are allowing DCG to dictate what we do and say in our own home.

I told her that my family has already been made aware of the situation as this is our family home and we do not keep things from each other. My DD saw DCG put the things in her bag anyway so she already knew and my other DD overheard the conversation between DCM and I.

So she wiped DCG's tears and told her to go and play with the kids to change her mind some before she left for school. When I asked DCG later if she was still permitted to come to the party on Saturday she sassily replied - Yup!.

It will be a challenge to be polite to this child this afternoon but I am thinking about telling DCM that maybe it would be better if DCG stayed home saturday as things are still fresh and I don't want my DD to feel uncomfortable at her party nor do I want DCG to end up feeling left out because my DD doesn't want her there.

My DDs have both been told not to breathe a word of this to anyone, including the other dcks and there will be consequences if it goes any further than our home.

What a nightmare...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 AM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
So she shows up this morning with mom and a ziploc with a bunch of other things she has taken from my home in the past few weeks....

DCM made her give it to me and apologize but then DCM tells me that her DD is not a thief and does not want her to get a reputation as a thief...well she did steal which says thief to me BUT she is only 8. She said because DD doesn't know why she did it, means that she didn't steal intentionally....ya ok.

She told me she does not want anyone to know about this and that DD does not want my kids to know about it and does not want me to tell my husband.

So we are allowing DCG to dictate what we do and say in our own home.

I told her that my family has already been made aware of the situation as this is our family home and we do not keep things from each other. My DD saw DCG put the things in her bag anyway so she already knew and my other DD overheard the conversation between DCM and I.

So she wiped DCG's tears and told her to go and play with the kids to change her mind some before she left for school. When I asked DCG later if she was still permitted to come to the party on Saturday she sassily replied - Yup!.

It will be a challenge to be polite to this child this afternoon but I am thinking about telling DCM that maybe it would be better if DCG stayed home saturday as things are still fresh and I don't want my DD to feel uncomfortable at her party nor do I want DCG to end up feeling left out because my DD doesn't want her there.

My DDs have both been told not to breathe a word of this to anyone, including the other dcks and there will be consequences if it goes any further than our home.

What a nightmare...
If you uninvite a child to your daughters party, i cant help but think that you are coming off as vindictive and bitter. I understand your point of view but I personally would not uninvite a child to a party. I would keep a close eye on her and not invite her to anything else in the future if you feel you cant trust her in your home. I feel the mom is making excuses and more worried about how things look than about her daughter having consequences....be ready to term the next time something gets stolen.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,748
Default

(((Hugs))) for dealing but I have to say I think you are making a big mistake listening to DCM and NOT talking openly about this and keeping this whole thing a secret.

I think that the reaction she (the DCG) will receive from the other kids IS necessary for her to understand the full ramifications of her actions.

She DID steal.
She DID behave as a thief
She DID steal
She SHOULD be embarrassed....maybe enough that she will never do it again.

Having mom help her cover up her "crimes" does NOONE any justice and surely isn't helping the situation. Talk about screwing your kid up by being an accomplice, which is exactly what DCM is doing by hiding her actions. That isn't love, that is just wrong on so many levels.

I would absolutely tell DCG she isn't welcome on Saturday as that should be part of the consequences of stealing! She SHOULD feel unwelcome, not trusted and ashamed of her actions but how in the world is that ever going to happen when mom is so busy covering it up.

Also NO WAY IN HE77 would I allow a daycare family tell me what I can and cannot tell my husband and/or children. NO WAY!

I would allow that DCG to be present in my home as a daycare child but NEVER in any other capacity until she can earn back my trust.

The DCM IS right, she is only 8 years old but being 8 doesn't excuse her from taking responsibilty for her actions and having to suffer the consequences. 8 is plenty old enough to know better and plenty old enough to know FULL well what she is doing.

Not intentional, my butt! She may have used that excuse to her mother who is enabling her to have repeat actions and had her mother believe her but seriously, if she doesn't start being remorseful and responsible for her actions, her mom is going to be visiting her child in juvenile detention or jail later on.

I am NOT a big fan of Dr Phil but he once said "If you are big enough to do it, be big enough to own it." And I have that sign hanging in my daycare because ALL my kiddos know that we don't use, believe, borrow or accept excuses here.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:27 AM
DBug DBug is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
(((Hugs))) for dealing but I have to say I think you are making a big mistake listening to DCM and NOT talking openly about this and keeping this whole thing a secret.

I think that the reaction she (the DCG) will receive from the other kids IS necessary for her to understand the full ramifications of her actions.

She DID steal.
She DID behave as a thief
She DID steal
She SHOULD be embarrassed....maybe enough that she will never do it again.

Having mom help her cover up her "crimes" does NOONE any justice and surely isn't helping the situation. Talk about screwing your kid up by being an accomplice, which is exactly what DCM is doing by hiding her actions. That isn't love, that is just wrong on so many levels.

I would absolutely tell DCG she isn't welcome on Saturday as that should be part of the consequences of stealing! She SHOULD feel unwelcome, not trusted and ashamed of her actions but how in the world is that ever going to happen when mom is so busy covering it up.

Also NO WAY IN HE77 would I allow a daycare family tell me what I can and cannot tell my husband and/or children. NO WAY!

I would allow that DCG to be present in my home as a daycare child but NEVER in any other capacity until she can earn back my trust.

The DCM IS right, she is only 8 years old but being 8 doesn't excuse her from taking responsibilty for her actions and having to suffer the consequences. 8 is plenty old enough to know better and plenty old enough to know FULL well what she is doing.

Not intentional, my butt! She may have used that excuse to her mother who is enabling her to have repeat actions and had her mother believe her but seriously, if she doesn't start being remorseful and responsible for her actions, her mom is going to be visiting her child in juvenile detention or jail later on.

I am NOT a big fan of Dr Phil but he once said "If you are big enough to do it, be big enough to own it." And I have that sign hanging in my daycare because ALL my kiddos know that we don't use, believe, borrow or accept excuses here.
I totally agree! I have a friend whose DS did this at school. He started off with pencils and erasers and ended up stealing iPods and Nintendo DS's. He will tell you he doesn't know why he does it either. He's 11 now, and his parents have spent literally thousands of dollars (that they don't have) on psychologists trying to figure out what his issue is.

His issue -- very little actual discipline. His education is close to a write-off because he's been suspended so many times. His life will spiral downhill if someone doesn't start treating like a thief instead of a "special" boy with issues .

He's a great kid, smart, with tons of potential. I just hope the adults in his life don't ruin it for him.
__________________
www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 AM
rhymia1's Avatar
rhymia1 rhymia1 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 223
Default

From your OP it seemed like it was a one time thing, mom was backing you up, etc. This additonal information bothers me. This is something that has been ongoing and now mom is trying to dictate how it's handled. If she were caught shoplifting I highly doubt the store would not call the police just because mom said not to (and yes, in my area kids that young have been arrested for shoplifting) Obviously you wouldn't tell other dc parents, but your family? If your DD no longer wants her at the party - because really, what kind of friend steals from you? Then I would be honest with dc mom about it. That said, be prepared for her to pull her out of dc.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 AM
MizzCheryl's Avatar
MizzCheryl MizzCheryl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 478
Default

I have had a couple of little school age theifs. Once they are busted they never get outta my sight again. They have to stay in the same room as me. They hate it but that are the consequenses. They have to use the daycare bathroom always, cause my makeup and things are in the other bathroom. Little sister ratted out one kids. The parents never did come clean. But little sis taold me older kid stole my glitter and sure enough that color was gone. Had a littel money stolen too. The kids know better but the parents are too embarassed to say anything.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

I hesitated replying to your original post, I was hoping for an update and wasn't optimistic as to how it would turn out. I'm so very sorry you're going through this

I've been on the other side of this issue. At age 5 my son attempted to steal candy in the checkout line at the grocery store. I caught him the first time before he got it into his pocket and holy buckets did his world crumble. I thought I'd gotten through to him but..... the second time I found a wrapper of a candy bar I never bought in his room. After returning from school that day I asked him where it came from and was relieved when he came right out with it instead of trying to lie. I called up the stores manager, told them what happened and asked for some help to make an impact. I then marched his butt straight back to the store and despite a giant bawl fest he managed an apology. I wasn't surprised by his embarrassment or remorse, I was relieved to see it, what did shock me was the managers reaction. As he was standing there near gagging on his hysterics she looked right at him and said "oh really honey, it's no big deal. Kids do that all the time. Thank you for apologizing." and then looked at me as if I was supposed to then relieve him of his responsibility in the situation at that point. (*my jaw hits the floor*) Uhhhh.......H*LL. NO.

He did chores every day for about two weeks to earn back every penny of that candy bar I had to go back and pay for. Over kill? Maybe to some. But I was bent on making a major impact so as to hopefully never have it happen again.

Fast forward, he had just turned 6 when he entered the first grade. One day he came home with his jacket jingling and I asked him what was in his pocket. I may have a thief on my hands but obviously not a liar because again he was honest. They were learning about money and played a game using real coins. He thought there were so many coins in the bucket a few wouldn't be missed so he took a handful and then assumed he would just use them to BUY his own candy bars instead of having to steal them. This was more than a year later and I was surprised he still remembered the deal at the grocery store. He looked at me as if he deserved praise for being so smart

I will give him that I doubt very much he understood the ramifications of what he did and I felt partially responsible. I was supporting my kids on my own as I had just divorced their father and we literally didn't have money for candy. I explained this to him and he always seemed very understanding. I genuinely believed he didn't mean to do wrong. To him it was logical, mom doesn't have money for this, here's a bunch I can get on my own so I don't have to pester her - but I wasn't going to give him the impression I thought there was any sort of reasonable excuse for what he did. Emailed the teacher and we set up a meeting. We went in to school the next day and again he was mortified. He returned the coins, eeked out an apology through near hysterics, and AGAIN the teachers response was "it's ok, no big deal, thanks for bringing them back!" When he went to compose himself before joining the rest of the class she actually asked me why I was making such a big deal out of it, that he was obviously sorry so isn't that enough? Just ugh...... He came home that night telling me everything was fine, the teacher told him. There were zero consequences and I was ticked. And they wonder why kids today don't ever take responsibility for their actions?

I was good friends with a local sheriff's deputy and I had him swing over that night. He had him sit in the back of his squad car while he explained that that's where he'll end up next time he took something that didn't belong to him. There, and then jail! I know it scared the daylights out of him and that was the point. As his mother it hurt me to see him so upset and struggling through a life lesson, but I know if he got the message that stealing was no big deal at a young age there was nothing to stop him from continuing to do it in the future....and that would hurt him and I both far worse.



It always floors me when kids today do wrong and the response is to coddle them instead of teach the real life consequences that will come into play when they are older.



I was happy to hear that the dcg's mother returned the items found at home, but beyond that her response just ticks me off.

I'm not sure I could continue to work with a family who's reaction was not only, "we want to brush this under the rug and go on as if it never happened" but also "now you better too."


Whether it hurt the child's feelings or not to uninvite her from the party would be moot to me. That would be the entire point. That when you do "x" there are "y" consequences, and sometimes those consequences are unpleasant. The girl stole from a friend. If someone stole from me as an adult there is no way no how I'd be having them to my birthday party a couple of days later. I certainly could not expect a child of mine to bite her tongue and tolerate something I myself wouldn't put up with.

I'd definitely tell the mother your child is upset about what happened and doesn't want her there anymore. If she's any kind of a mother she'll use that to further drive home the point that what she did hurt others instead of allowing her to sit and mope about how the consequences are hurting her.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM
dave4him's Avatar
dave4him dave4him is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,336
Default

The best lesson for a kid to learn is for her parent to act like a parent and tell her what she did was wrong, not make excuses for the behavior. All of us are faulty from the beginning, we cant do things the right way if we do not learn the difference first.
__________________
"God said, I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.'"
Acts 13:22
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Hunni Bee's Avatar
Hunni Bee Hunni Bee is offline
False Sense Of Authority
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Over the Rainbow...
Posts: 2,319
Default

When I was 7 or 8, I accidentally stole a pair of knee socks from Kmart. I picked them up to ask my mom to buy them (I was really into knee socks and pleated skirts then ), she said she'd think about it, and so I stuck them in my coat pocket to keep from setting them down somewhere.

on the way back to the car, I stick my hand into my pocket and what do I find? I was horrified...i was almost in tears because I thought I'd stolen something. My mom then explained the difference between an honest mistake and stealing.

Moral of the story? She knew exactly what she's doing, she still does and she wouldn't be invited to any party of mine. Are you going to want to watch her the entire time? It will take away from your time with your daughter...I wouldn't have it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 AM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,414
Default

I will clarify that while I agree with everyone else that strong consequences are in order and that I would not allow excuses or hiding of this stealing....I personally would still not uninvite to a party, thats just me.

BUT I will say that i would not have invited daycare kids to the party in the first place....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

When I was 8 I stole a bracelet from a dept store. My mother marched me back to the store by the ear and promised to visit me in jail after the manager called the police to come get me. I never, ever, ever stole again.

OP, I think Mom is really downplaying this. If my 7 year old daughter had a backpack full of someone else's toys I certainly wouldn't keep it quiet or make excuses for her.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 AM
countrymom's Avatar
countrymom countrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 4,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
I hesitated replying to your original post, I was hoping for an update and wasn't optimistic as to how it would turn out. I'm so very sorry you're going through this

I've been on the other side of this issue. At age 5 my son attempted to steal candy in the checkout line at the grocery store. I caught him the first time before he got it into his pocket and holy buckets did his world crumble. I thought I'd gotten through to him but..... the second time I found a wrapper of a candy bar I never bought in his room. After returning from school that day I asked him where it came from and was relieved when he came right out with it instead of trying to lie. I called up the stores manager, told them what happened and asked for some help to make an impact. I then marched his butt straight back to the store and despite a giant bawl fest he managed an apology. I wasn't surprised by his embarrassment or remorse, I was relieved to see it, what did shock me was the managers reaction. As he was standing there near gagging on his hysterics she looked right at him and said "oh really honey, it's no big deal. Kids do that all the time. Thank you for apologizing." and then looked at me as if I was supposed to then relieve him of his responsibility in the situation at that point. (*my jaw hits the floor*) Uhhhh.......H*LL. NO.

He did chores every day for about two weeks to earn back every penny of that candy bar I had to go back and pay for. Over kill? Maybe to some. But I was bent on making a major impact so as to hopefully never have it happen again.

Fast forward, he had just turned 6 when he entered the first grade. One day he came home with his jacket jingling and I asked him what was in his pocket. I may have a thief on my hands but obviously not a liar because again he was honest. They were learning about money and played a game using real coins. He thought there were so many coins in the bucket a few wouldn't be missed so he took a handful and then assumed he would just use them to BUY his own candy bars instead of having to steal them. This was more than a year later and I was surprised he still remembered the deal at the grocery store. He looked at me as if he deserved praise for being so smart

I will give him that I doubt very much he understood the ramifications of what he did and I felt partially responsible. I was supporting my kids on my own as I had just divorced their father and we literally didn't have money for candy. I explained this to him and he always seemed very understanding. I genuinely believed he didn't mean to do wrong. To him it was logical, mom doesn't have money for this, here's a bunch I can get on my own so I don't have to pester her - but I wasn't going to give him the impression I thought there was any sort of reasonable excuse for what he did. Emailed the teacher and we set up a meeting. We went in to school the next day and again he was mortified. He returned the coins, eeked out an apology through near hysterics, and AGAIN the teachers response was "it's ok, no big deal, thanks for bringing them back!" When he went to compose himself before joining the rest of the class she actually asked me why I was making such a big deal out of it, that he was obviously sorry so isn't that enough? Just ugh...... He came home that night telling me everything was fine, the teacher told him. There were zero consequences and I was ticked. And they wonder why kids today don't ever take responsibility for their actions?

I was good friends with a local sheriff's deputy and I had him swing over that night. He had him sit in the back of his squad car while he explained that that's where he'll end up next time he took something that didn't belong to him. There, and then jail! I know it scared the daylights out of him and that was the point. As his mother it hurt me to see him so upset and struggling through a life lesson, but I know if he got the message that stealing was no big deal at a young age there was nothing to stop him from continuing to do it in the future....and that would hurt him and I both far worse.



It always floors me when kids today do wrong and the response is to coddle them instead of teach the real life consequences that will come into play when they are older.



I was happy to hear that the dcg's mother returned the items found at home, but beyond that her response just ticks me off.

I'm not sure I could continue to work with a family who's reaction was not only, "we want to brush this under the rug and go on as if it never happened" but also "now you better too."


Whether it hurt the child's feelings or not to uninvite her from the party would be moot to me. That would be the entire point. That when you do "x" there are "y" consequences, and sometimes those consequences are unpleasant. The girl stole from a friend. If someone stole from me as an adult there is no way no how I'd be having them to my birthday party a couple of days later. I certainly could not expect a child of mine to bite her tongue and tolerate something I myself wouldn't put up with.

I'd definitely tell the mother your child is upset about what happened and doesn't want her there anymore. If she's any kind of a mother she'll use that to further drive home the point that what she did hurt others instead of allowing her to sit and mope about how the consequences are hurting her.
I agree with you, I hate when kids say "I don't know why I did it" really because things just don't jump in a backpack. And I would tell my dh and my kids what had happened. Yes, Im a mom who uses examples and this is one of those examples that I would use. (heck I have a stupid neice I always tell my kids don't be like your cousin) I think it was wrong on moms part, so when she goes into a store and steals some makeup is she going to tell the police 'i don't know why she did it"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Soccermom's Avatar
Soccermom Soccermom is offline
Dazed and confused...
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PEI
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
I will clarify that while I agree with everyone else that strong consequences are in order and that I would not allow excuses or hiding of this stealing....I personally would still not uninvite to a party, thats just me.

BUT I will say that i would not have invited daycare kids to the party in the first place....
The reason we invited her to the party is because she is in my DD's class and it is a very small school..it complicates things a little. Had it not been for that, I would not have invited her but I just felt awful not inviting her since she is new here this year and she doesn't really know anyone yet. I thought it would be a nice way for her to make some friends and a nice gesture as her DC provider...had I known what she was really like, I would never have sent out the invite. I have a big heart and sometimes that gets me into trouble.
My DD said she was okay with inviting her but honestly never really cared for her too much...now I know why. Kids are sometimes better at reading other kids than we are.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Soccermom's Avatar
Soccermom Soccermom is offline
Dazed and confused...
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PEI
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee View Post
Moral of the story? She knew exactly what she's doing, she still does and she wouldn't be invited to any party of mine. Are you going to want to watch her the entire time? It will take away from your time with your daughter...I wouldn't have it.
This is something I had not considered Hunni Bee..and it has sealed the deal for me. I will dicuss with DCM at Pick up 2night. I will tell her that I am not uninviting the child but think that it would be a wise choice if she stayed home this weekend in order to give the girls some time to start over. But if she chooses to still allow DD to come to the party ( I can't IMAGINE allowing my child to go to a party after what she had done but that is me) she will need to stay with her DD for the entire party including coming to the movies with us and paying out of her pocket for her own ticket because I am not prepared or able to supervise her DD as she obviously requires.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
(((Hugs))) for dealing but I have to say I think you are making a big mistake listening to DCM and NOT talking openly about this and keeping this whole thing a secret.

I think that the reaction she (the DCG) will receive from the other kids IS necessary for her to understand the full ramifications of her actions.

She DID steal.
She DID behave as a thief
She DID steal
She SHOULD be embarrassed....maybe enough that she will never do it again.

Having mom help her cover up her "crimes" does NOONE any justice and surely isn't helping the situation. Talk about screwing your kid up by being an accomplice, which is exactly what DCM is doing by hiding her actions. That isn't love, that is just wrong on so many levels.

I would absolutely tell DCG she isn't welcome on Saturday as that should be part of the consequences of stealing! She SHOULD feel unwelcome, not trusted and ashamed of her actions but how in the world is that ever going to happen when mom is so busy covering it up.

Also NO WAY IN HE77 would I allow a daycare family tell me what I can and cannot tell my husband and/or children. NO WAY!

I would allow that DCG to be present in my home as a daycare child but NEVER in any other capacity until she can earn back my trust.

The DCM IS right, she is only 8 years old but being 8 doesn't excuse her from taking responsibilty for her actions and having to suffer the consequences. 8 is plenty old enough to know better and plenty old enough to know FULL well what she is doing.

Not intentional, my butt! She may have used that excuse to her mother who is enabling her to have repeat actions and had her mother believe her but seriously, if she doesn't start being remorseful and responsible for her actions, her mom is going to be visiting her child in juvenile detention or jail later on.

I am NOT a big fan of Dr Phil but he once said "If you are big enough to do it, be big enough to own it." And I have that sign hanging in my daycare because ALL my kiddos know that we don't use, believe, borrow or accept excuses here.
I could not agree more.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
This is something I had not considered Hunni Bee..and it has sealed the deal for me. I will dicuss with DCM at Pick up 2night. I will tell her that I am not uninviting the child but think that it would be a wise choice if she stayed home this weekend in order to give the girls some time to start over. But if she chooses to still allow DD to come to the party ( I can't IMAGINE allowing my child to go to a party after what she had done but that is me) she will need to stay with her DD for the entire party including coming to the movies with us and paying out of her pocket for her own ticket because I am not prepared or able to supervise her DD as she obviously requires.
NICE~! I think that is a great solution! Give it to who owns it! The DCM should have some responsibility in this and doing what you said above is awesome. Maybe it will teach BOTH mom and child something.

You also mentioned that you couldnt imagine allowing your child to go to a party after what happened and I agree, but what you are forgetting is that this DCM obviously operates within completely different set of ethics and moral guidelines than you do so for her, accompaning the child to the party is probably what she will do. After all, she couldn't possibly allow her child to have her feelings hurt

What happens though when her mom buys her anything she wants from the concession stand, will that cause a problem with the other girls you have invited?

I feel so badly for you as this is a really sucky situation to be in. I really hope it works out well for you and for your DD. Her birthday should not have to be overshadowed by the poor choices of someone who called herself a friend and the reinforcement she (DCG) is receiving from her mother.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:01 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
This is something I had not considered Hunni Bee..and it has sealed the deal for me. I will dicuss with DCM at Pick up 2night. I will tell her that I am not uninviting the child but think that it would be a wise choice if she stayed home this weekend in order to give the girls some time to start over. But if she chooses to still allow DD to come to the party ( I can't IMAGINE allowing my child to go to a party after what she had done but that is me) she will need to stay with her DD for the entire party including coming to the movies with us and paying out of her pocket for her own ticket because I am not prepared or able to supervise her DD as she obviously requires.
Don't be surprised when Mom and daughter show up. She wouldn't want to punish Precious for such an honest mistake ....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,686
Default

Did you agree to keep this secret from everyone? I don't understand that part at all. NVM, I re-read it. Can't believe DCM had the nerve.

IMHO, she should have to apologize to your DD.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:11 PM
DaisyMamma's Avatar
DaisyMamma DaisyMamma is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,239
Default

I so completely agree wIth blackcat.
Your house, your rules.
You can tell whoever you choose to tell and you certainly can uninvited her to the party! If her own mother isn't willing to step up and punish her, then someone should.
I would even consider terming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
(((Hugs))) for dealing but I have to say I think you are making a big mistake listening to DCM and NOT talking openly about this and keeping this whole thing a secret.

I think that the reaction she (the DCG) will receive from the other kids IS necessary for her to understand the full ramifications of her actions.

She DID steal.
She DID behave as a thief
She DID steal
She SHOULD be embarrassed....maybe enough that she will never do it again.

Having mom help her cover up her "crimes" does NOONE any justice and surely isn't helping the situation. Talk about screwing your kid up by being an accomplice, which is exactly what DCM is doing by hiding her actions. That isn't love, that is just wrong on so many levels.

I would absolutely tell DCG she isn't welcome on Saturday as that should be part of the consequences of stealing! She SHOULD feel unwelcome, not trusted and ashamed of her actions but how in the world is that ever going to happen when mom is so busy covering it up.

Also NO WAY IN HE77 would I allow a daycare family tell me what I can and cannot tell my husband and/or children. NO WAY!

I would allow that DCG to be present in my home as a daycare child but NEVER in any other capacity until she can earn back my trust.

The DCM IS right, she is only 8 years old but being 8 doesn't excuse her from taking responsibilty for her actions and having to suffer the consequences. 8 is plenty old enough to know better and plenty old enough to know FULL well what she is doing.

Not intentional, my butt! She may have used that excuse to her mother who is enabling her to have repeat actions and had her mother believe her but seriously, if she doesn't start being remorseful and responsible for her actions, her mom is going to be visiting her child in juvenile detention or jail later on.

I am NOT a big fan of Dr Phil but he once said "If you are big enough to do it, be big enough to own it." And I have that sign hanging in my daycare because ALL my kiddos know that we don't use, believe, borrow or accept excuses here.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,275
Default

I get the feeling that this mom will indeed show up with her daughter and I also feel she's the type who will go overboard to make her poor daughter feel "special" after the "trauma" she's received

Tons of goodies at the movies etc.

I would be scared of my daughters party being over-shadowed by a mother desperate to make her own daughter feel better.

I would want MY daughter to be the center of attention.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
since she is new here this year and she doesn't really know anyone yet.
Kids act out in all kinds of ways when they are feeling insecure and looking for acceptance. I have to wonder if that could be a factor here? Her mother could have used this opportunity to teach her child a valuable life lesson, but unfortunately she is teaching her that there is no consequence for stealing - as long as you can come up with an excuse - and it's okay to lie to cover yourself as well . Poor kid.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Did you agree to keep this secret from everyone? I don't understand that part at all. NVM, I re-read it. Can't believe DCM had the nerve.

IMHO, she should have to apologize to your DD.
No secrets.

I would tell the mom that anything that goes on in my house is openly discussed with the people who live in it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 PM
jojosmommy's Avatar
jojosmommy jojosmommy is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 1,105
Default

I stole a chapstick once when I was like 8 or 10. My sister pushed me to do it one afternoon when my mom let us walk from her work to the grocery store next door.

Imagine her embarrasment when we got taken in a police car to the police station.

She left us there the entire rest of her shift and even made my dad come with to pick us up. We were so embarrassed. Then she made each of us ride back to the store to apologize and apologize to her boss for keeping her mind preoccupied when she was to be at work. We each rode home with one parent and get our ears chewed off the whole ride.

Never stole again!

Thats how it should be
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Registered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm registered here but logged out for privacy. Here's something that will make you shake your head and go "WHAT!".

There was an incident at the local high school. Very explicite threat posted against some kids that went to school there. Kids that were threatened were excorted to offices and parents came to get them.

First thing told to the parents of the kids threatened by the administrators and police "Do Not Say A Word About This To Anyone!". The parents mouths all dropped in disbelief. They were being told to keep it quiet and not to talk.

It was very hush, hush up to the point the guidance councilors weren't even told. They found out much later.

They never found out who wrote it. I think if the parents could have been able to make it public the heat would have been on and someone would have said something.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Kaddidle Care's Avatar
Kaddidle Care Kaddidle Care is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,085
Default

This child needs to be reprimanded by her parent(s) so that this doesn't happen again. She shouldn't be coddled. Ugh! "Friend Parents"

My oldest son had a friend who's mother told me about all the money she found in a jar in his room. When I asked her "where'd he get it from?" she was like "I don't know - Birthdays I guess." HELLOOOOO! Never occurred to her that her darling might be stealing it from his friends.

Needless to say, we made sure any cash was out of sight when he was over and he was never left in a room alone. (Aside from the bathroom of course.)

I would advise you to do the same. Leave nothing valuable out and I would be so bold as to inspect her backpack each day for a while. Don't let her forget this. Once found out a liar, always considered a liar. Once found out a thief, always considered a thief.

We can all forgive but we don't have to forget.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

I would uninvite her from the party AND I would uninvite her from my daycare. I would NEVER condone what Mom is suggesting....IMHO she is just going to perpetuate it because she is not taking it as seriously as she should. I wouldn't want her in my home if the Mom is going to be dismissive of it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Oh, I would also make this a BIG topic of discussion at circle time with ALL of the children. It is a good life lesson for all of them and they will walk away with a firm understadning of what it means to take things that do not belong to you without asking.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stealing, taking toys, theft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DCG Stole My Daughter's Toys... Soccermom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 26 06-08-2015 05:38 AM
Do Parents Even Care About The Thought And Effort? - Natural Toys Etc pootmcgoot Reggio / Waldorf / Forest Kindergarten / Granola / Natural - Learning Methods 18 09-10-2013 02:15 PM
Toys, Toys, Toys SquirrellyMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 08-31-2012 07:10 AM
Got Me A Couple New Toys This Morning... Blackcat31 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 22 01-12-2011 08:51 AM
Rotating Toys misol Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 11-17-2010 04:31 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming