Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Family Childcare Home

Default Can I See Your Word Wall?

EDIT: I'm goofy today. I asked about a word wall but I meant Reading wall. And really it's more like a wall with the alphabet on it, pictures and a sentence as an example of the letter etc.

I know some of you with preschool curricula have a reading/alphabet wall. I've never used one but I wanted to start using one. Is anyone willing to share photos of theirs?

I don't have a lot of space and I've seen word walls in schools that take a large area of a wall. I'm hoping I can get ideas to make my own wall. The only areas that I have available for one is the back of a door, a 6' x 5' area near my front door (would be eye level) or 3 1/2' wide and all the way up to the ceiling (but wouldn't all be eye level), and a 3' x 10' area above my couch.

I have to figure out how to fit 26 letters in one of those spaces and could use some inspiration.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

http://lifewithmoorebabies.blogspot....rd-pillar.html

This probably isn't what you had in mind but it would help with your space issue and it's pretty cute.

Oh check pinterest! I found the caterpillar one there but they have lots of cool ideas! Just search preschool word walls. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Not exactly what you're asking for, but good for limited space...

Each of my kids has an "I Can Read" book, 26 index cards hole-punched and attached with binder rings. Each page is marked with one letter--both upper and lower case. It starts out being for environmental print: one kid recognizes the logo for "Frozen," so we cut it out and tape it on their F page. Another kid has "Cheerios" cut from the box and taped onto their C page. Etc. Over time, we add words they know how to read: friends' names, mommy, etc.

In addition, they each have an envelope of words they want to learn to read. They ask for a word, I write it on an index card and we add it to their envelope. Once they can remember it, we add another.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
http://lifewithmoorebabies.blogspot....rd-pillar.html

This probably isn't what you had in mind but it would help with your space issue and it's pretty cute.

Oh check pinterest! I found the caterpillar one there but they have lots of cool ideas! Just search preschool word walls. Good luck.
I love this idea! Thanks for sharing. We're so going to work on this today!
Old 06-22-2015, 06:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

Not exactly a Word wall, but we're doing a label project this month. Kids bring in labels from the foods they eat and we are sorting them alphabetically (beginning letter) and using them for phonic exercises.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone_photo-1.jpg (23.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Family Childcare Home

Not exatly what I was looking for ladies but still A LOT of help. You gals gave me ideas for activities to try for teaching the alphabet/alphabet sounds.

I like the label books and wall. Definitely will try that one.

I did go out to the Dollar Tree yesterday and found mini poster boards so I'm going to see if I can fit 26 of them on my wall.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

I don't have a word wall. But I have a ABC poster, number poster and shape poster on a wall at child level. I also have a chalk wall, which I love, its great to be able to write letters, words and shapes, have the kids practice and then clean it off
Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
I don't have a word wall. But I have a ABC poster, number poster and shape poster on a wall at child level. I also have a chalk wall, which I love, its great to be able to write letters, words and shapes, have the kids practice and then clean it off
I have all of these too but instead of a chalk wall I have a large chalkboard but it's outside. I even have a poster with the alphabet in sign language, I just wanted to have something with the alphabet that the kids could build on as they learned the alphabet. I think I have something figured out, I just have to actually do it now

Tags
reading, reading corner, reading wall