Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>All of a Sudden My Kids Cry at Drop Off
midaycare 06:20 AM 01-14-2015
What is going on? Is this a separation anxiety phase? A have 3 kids who are all around the same age and throw a fit now at drop off every day. They didn't use to. They are fine in a few minutes. They don't want to leave at the end if the day. ???
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 01-14-2015
It seems to be a common thing around this time of year.
I'm sure it's seasonal.

The fall out from a busy couple months (Nov and Dec) has a weird affect on the kids. They are a bit slower to wake in the mornings, a bit more antsy, during the day, a bit more restless at nap time and a little whiner and a lot lazier.....

I don't know if its something they pick up from their parents or what but I've noticed that January and a little bit of February are always times in which the kids are all just a bit "off" from their normal.

Can't be sure as to why but I do know it happens every year.

Just keep being consistent and they'll get back into the groove in no time.
midaycare 06:45 AM 01-14-2015
Good to hear. One of the parents looks at me like, "Okaaaaay ... Why does she not want to stay now?"
preschoolteacher 07:42 AM 01-14-2015
It happened here too. Lasted about a week and is over now.
SignMeUp 08:30 AM 01-14-2015
It's the dregs of winter
midaycare 09:37 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
It's the dregs of winter
Winter makes me want to cry, too. I wonder if this happens in warmer climates?
Josiegirl 10:09 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It seems to be a common thing around this time of year.
I'm sure it's seasonal.

The fall out from a busy couple months (Nov and Dec) has a weird affect on the kids. They are a bit slower to wake in the mornings, a bit more antsy, during the day, a bit more restless at nap time and a little whiner and a lot lazier.....

I don't know if its something they pick up from their parents or what but I've noticed that January and a little bit of February are always times in which the kids are all just a bit "off" from their normal.

Can't be sure as to why but I do know it happens every year.

Just keep being consistent and they'll get back into the groove in no time.
Yeh, you just described me and my feelings this time of year!
Why should kids be any different? It's dark when they wake up, it's freezing, they're cuddled up under warm soft blankets, they're dragged out half asleep into subzero weather. As fun as Christmas was for them, it disrupted routine enormously, made them all over excited and then they might have seen this huge laughing bearded man in a red suit that scared the bejeezus out of them and then to think he was in their own HOME while they were asleep!! And then their credit card bills come and they go crazy nutso, worrying about how they'll ever get it paid....oh wait, that was me.
But I do agree it's hard this time of year. Add to that a lot less time outdoors to run off their negative energy. I had a 4 1/2 yo go home yesterday in such a tizzy, I had never seen her throw a fit like that before.
Annalee 10:20 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yeh, you just described me and my feelings this time of year!
Why should kids be any different? It's dark when they wake up, it's freezing, they're cuddled up under warm soft blankets, they're dragged out half asleep into subzero weather. As fun as Christmas was for them, it disrupted routine enormously, made them all over excited and then they might have seen this huge laughing bearded man in a red suit that scared the bejeezus out of them and then to think he was in their own HOME while they were asleep!! And then their credit card bills come and they go crazy nutso, worrying about how they'll ever get it paid....oh wait, that was me.
But I do agree it's hard this time of year. Add to that a lot less time outdoors to run off their negative energy. I had a 4 1/2 yo go home yesterday in such a tizzy, I had never seen her throw a fit like that before.
After Christmas blues can seem like a withdrawal of sorts I know my boys (ages 11 and 13) love christmas break and are on a high when they get their gifts but when it is over and they have to go back to school after all of us being off together sleeping late, playing games, etc...it is hard to get back to normal......we aren't normal all the time anyway but we try to get as close as we can
Josiegirl 10:26 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
After Christmas blues can seem like a withdrawal of sorts I know my boys (ages 11 and 13) love christmas break and are on a high when they get their gifts but when it is over and they have to go back to school after all of us being off together sleeping late, playing games, etc...it is hard to get back to normal......we aren't normal all the time anyway but we try to get as close as we can
I think normal is highly over-rated anyways.
midaycare 11:03 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I think normal is highly over-rated anyways.
Agreed! And I'm not sure any of us would want to be normal nowadays. It's a little scary when I look around and see "normal".
MsLisa 11:09 AM 01-14-2015
I've noticed the same effect here too.

One of the little girls in the morning (3) suddenly became extremely attached and upset the moment she comes in the morning with the case of the "MOMMMYYY" hysterics. The poor mom is so overwhelmed by it and its apparently not only when she's here but even at home. Prior to Christmas she was perfectly fine. Its heartbreaking now but with a quick pick up big cuddle and goofy tour around the room with the other kids ("silly parade"), she's back to normal. It seems to be when they are gone for more than a day or two its like hitting the restart button.

The kids also seem to be "off" due to the flu and cold season hitting us full force. So many kids have disappeared for days with all variations of sick so by the time they come back they are out of the norm.

My older school kids, on the other hand, were angels when they came back from break. Didn't have to write a report once all that first week. Even the worst kid was pretty tame. This week....they are back to crazy and twice as hyper/defiant. Oi!
Tags:drop off issues, separation anxiety
Reply Up