Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Visit From Fire Dept - Yay or Nay?
Baby Beluga 01:35 PM 09-01-2015
I am considering requesting a visit from our local fire department in honor of fire safety/prevention week. It is myself and 5 children (one who is my own) all ages 2-4 years. This particular group is um...interesting

Three very rowdy boys, 1 rowdy girl and 1 shy girl. Is this something you would consider doing? My biggest fear is taking the kids out front to view the fire truck. We do not leave the house/yard so these littles are not used to following rules like staying on the sidewalk, not running ahead, etc. and my biggest fear is one of them running off. I suppose I could get one of those ropes the kids hold or just not view the truck outside in the first place? Perhaps ask for a parent volunteer for the morning?
organicdclady 01:39 PM 09-01-2015
That sounds so fun! I think it would be a great treat for the kids, imagine their excited faces! I would definitely ask for a volunteer or two. Most parents would be happy to share that experience with their child and his/her peers. Let us know how it goes if you decide to proceed
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 09-01-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I am considering requesting a visit from our local fire department in honor of fire safety/prevention week. It is myself and 5 children (one who is my own) all ages 2-4 years. This particular group is um...interesting

Three very rowdy boys, 1 rowdy girl and 1 shy girl. Is this something you would consider doing? My biggest fear is taking the kids out front to view the fire truck. We do not leave the house/yard so these littles are not used to following rules like staying on the sidewalk, not running ahead, etc. and my biggest fear is one of them running off. I suppose I could get one of those ropes the kids hold or just not view the truck outside in the first place? Perhaps ask for a parent volunteer for the morning?
Awesome!! We have the fire truck come every year!! The kids get a lesson in "Stop, Drop and Roll", what a fireman looks like in full gear and they get a ride in the fire truck!

The kids each get a coloring book a fireman's hat, a badge, and a ton if info about fire safety at the end of the lesson.

It's something that is looked forward to every year.....

I have invited parents in the past and they've been very helpful but for the most part I've managed on my own with DH assisting.

Here are a couple pictures from last year:

Thriftylady 02:05 PM 09-01-2015
I think it is important to do these things! Firefighters say that children get scared in fires and hide from the firemen because they look scary with all that gear on. I forget when and where one told me that, but he did. Having them come out and talk to the kids and put the clothing on and such exposes the kids. They get to watch the firefighter go from a normal person to putting on the gear and all geared up. They can see there is nothing to fear. Of course we hope and pray they never need a firefighter, but if they do we want them to run TO them not away from them.
Bookworm 06:43 PM 09-01-2015
We do this every year and the kids love it. They get a chance to sit inside the truck and touch certain areas. They also get a hats and coloring books. We've had many parents who were police officers and one of them brought his K-9 partner and gave a demonstration about what the dog does (3-4 yrs only). It was a big hit and we teachers learned a lot too.
originalkat 07:00 AM 09-02-2015
We do this every year as well. Good Stuff!
Baby Beluga 01:27 PM 09-03-2015
BC - those pictures are too cute!

I just confirmed the details and a truck and firemen will be visiting us in October. I am so super excited! I have two boys here who are head over heals for fire trucks and I know they will be excited. DH agreed to work from home that day as well and be an extra set of hands for me during the visit.

For those that have done this before, how do you thank the station that comes out for your visit? Edible treats? Have the kids make thank you cards?
Blackcat31 01:29 PM 09-03-2015
BC - those pictures are too cute!

I just confirmed the details and a truck and firemen will be visiting us in October. I am so super excited! I have two boys here who are head over heals for fire trucks and I know they will be excited. DH agreed to work from home that day as well and be an extra set of hands for me during the visit.

For those that have done this before, how do you thank the station that comes out for your visit? Edible treats? Have the kids make thank you cards?
My kiddos all stand for a photo with the firemen and the truck.
Then we print off a copy and make a home made thank you card from all the kids and send it to the Fire Dept.

I try to get the older kids to say what parts about the visit they like best.

They usually send it to the newspaper too!
Baby Beluga 01:38 PM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My kiddos all stand for a photo with the firemen and the truck.
Then we print off a copy and make a home made thank you card from all the kids and send it to the Fire Dept.

I try to get the older kids to say what parts about the visit they like best.

They usually send it to the newspaper too!
Awesome idea, thank you! One more question if you don't mind.

Because I do not transport children (we are contained to my house and fenced in back yard) I do not have transportation/field trip permission slips from the parents. We will not be leaving the house, but we will be out front (where it is not fenced) and on the side walk. Should I make a field trip permission slip of sorts and have the parents sign it since we will be out of our normal space?
Blackcat31 02:34 PM 09-03-2015
Awesome idea, thank you! One more question if you don't mind.

Because I do not transport children (we are contained to my house and fenced in back yard) I do not have transportation/field trip permission slips from the parents. We will not be leaving the house, but we will be out front (where it is not fenced) and on the side walk. Should I make a field trip permission slip of sorts and have the parents sign it since we will be out of our normal space?
I don't do a field trip permission slip but I do write up a generic permission to participate slip.

I just state that on x date the fire department will be visiting and their child does or does not have permission to participate. The parent checks the appropriate choice and then signs and dates it. Then I put it in the child's file.

HTH
Baby Beluga 08:20 AM 09-04-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't do a field trip permission slip but I do write up a generic permission to participate slip.

I just state that on x date the fire department will be visiting and their child does or does not have permission to participate. The parent checks the appropriate choice and then signs and dates it. Then I put it in the child's file.

HTH
Perfect, thank you for your help
Reply Up