Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Play?
Unregistered 06:24 PM 03-12-2015
I feel like this was touched upon awhile ago but I can't find the thread and I don't remember 100% if it was here. But do you play with the children? Build blocks, play Barbies, play cards, color etc? Or do you do more observing and watching while in the room doing something else?
Are we paid to take care of the children keep them safe clean fed and happy. Or all of those plus entertaining them?
racemom 06:40 PM 03-12-2015
Both! I think it's important to model appropriate play, but it is also important for them to entertain themselves. Sometimes I actively engage with them, and other times I only watch them. It mixes up the day for all of us. My main group is 1 and under, but I do this with all ages.
kendallina 06:44 PM 03-12-2015
I don't entertain children. I do plan activities and do the activities with the kids (they play playdough and I can't help but play it too!). But, during free play, I don't play with them. I may sit near them (sometimes doing paperwork or planning lessons) and I will take a bite from the pizza they hand me, but I don't really PLAY with them. I observe, I help problem solve or will redirect if things are going south, but I don't full-on play with them.
Gemma 07:23 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I feel like this was touched upon awhile ago but I can't find the thread and I don't remember 100% if it was here. But do you play with the children? Build blocks, play Barbies, play cards, color etc? Or do you do more observing and watching while in the room doing something else?
Are we paid to take care of the children keep them safe clean fed and happy. Or all of those plus entertaining them?
Yes, I play some "one on one" with each kid and also things like restaurant/store, puzzles, coloring etc with the whole group.
It would be so boring to just walk around and watch, instead my day goes by so fast!... and no one gets in any trouble!
Stephnrich 07:41 PM 03-12-2015
I do both. I think it's a good idea to bond with the children through play, but also to observe while letting them play either alone or with other children.
CraftyMom 09:14 PM 03-12-2015
Mostly no. Here and there yes. I will guide them and make suggestions, but I don't sit and play. I sing songs and such during circle time and we have group games sometimes, such as parachute games.

I have this one dcb that does not know how to play without an adult. I've had plenty of kids that don't know how to play, but my current group is great. This one boy will play but needs an adult to play with him. Only child, surrounded by lots of adult family and extended family that dote on him.

He will often ask me "but if you don't play then who will play with us?" I tell him "look around the room, there are 5 friends to play with"
Michael 12:26 AM 03-13-2015
Here is the threads from last year. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72233
laundrymom 05:26 AM 03-13-2015
I do. Not always, but I do play every single day. Also, every child gets one on one w me daily. I hold them on my lap, talk about their day. Ask what they think or feel or dream. I talk with them and give them hugs and cuddles. Every child. Every day. Not rushed. Not shared, but one on one love from an adult who is important in their life.
I can't remember where, but I saw a study once that showed how much physical and emotional love a child typically gets each week. I can't remember how much it was but it horrified me. So I purposely spend time with each of them to offset the statistic. I do the same w my own kids.
Second Home 05:40 AM 03-13-2015
I do both .
Shell 05:41 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Mostly no. Here and there yes. I will guide them and make suggestions, but I don't sit and play. I sing songs and such during circle time and we have group games sometimes, such as parachute games.

I have this one dcb that does not know how to play without an adult. I've had plenty of kids that don't know how to play, but my current group is great. This one boy will play but needs an adult to play with him. Only child, surrounded by lots of adult family and extended family that dote on him.

He will often ask me "but if you don't play then who will play with us?" I tell him "look around the room, there are 5 friends to play with"

AmyLeigh 07:25 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Only child, surrounded by lots of adult family and extended family that dote on him
This is my entire group! They play alone great, or want my exclusive attention. I've been working on them playing together.
Don't get me wrong, I love being with them, talking, asking open ended questions, reading, snuggling, etc., but they can play with their friends.
Crazy8 08:05 AM 03-13-2015
I will often get them "started" on playing something. Because if I tell them to "go play" they look at me like I have 3 heads. They are in a great room full of toys but they have no clue how to play. So I will sometimes get down on the floor and take something out and get them started with it. Within a few minutes they are all engrossed in the activity and I can retreat, LOL! My group are all 3 and under too so I do feel they need more direction.
jgcp 08:34 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I do. Not always, but I do play every single day. Also, every child gets one on one w me daily. I hold them on my lap, talk about their day. Ask what they think or feel or dream. I talk with them and give them hugs and cuddles. Every child. Every day. Not rushed. Not shared, but one on one love from an adult who is important in their life.
I can't remember where, but I saw a study once that showed how much physical and emotional love a child typically gets each week. I can't remember how much it was but it horrified me. So I purposely spend time with each of them to offset the statistic. I do the same w my own kids.
I like the idea of sitting with each one everyday to just to give them some one on one love! Great idea. My kids play great without me getting in the middle of it haha in fact they get a little crazy when i get down on the floor with them and try to?? I have been trying to have some one on one with my ds because of his behavior lately and it has helped sooo much. But i bet all the kids would do much better everyday with this!!
AuntTami 08:57 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I do this too, mostly for my own selfish desire to snuggle haha. But no one ever complains. I usually spend 10-15 minutes with each kid right after they wake up from nap time. It gives them time to be snuggled and wake up and that's when they're the cuddliest. I know personally i need time to wake up fully before I can be expected to function!

I play; sometimes. We build stuff, we do out crafts and activities together. We dance and sing and read. But when it comes time for free play, that's on them unless I have someone who can't play alone. I always play along with their games. I have a pink Lei on my head right now as we speak!
Blackcat31 10:19 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I don't entertain children. I do plan activities and do the activities with the kids (they play playdough and I can't help but play it too!). But, during free play, I don't play with them. I may sit near them (sometimes doing paperwork or planning lessons) and I will take a bite from the pizza they hand me, but I don't really PLAY with them. I observe, I help problem solve or will redirect if things are going south, but I don't full-on play with them.
This ^^

I do sit by them sometimes but only because I am observing/documenting but most the time, I don't get involved in any play that my daycare kids do.
Laura5287 10:30 AM 03-13-2015
I play with them but recently I have noticed they do not play by themselves or with each other so I am now telling them it is ok to play by yourself or with your friend. My younger one will go off and play but the 4 year old, almost 5, has a hard time. I will tell him what there is in the room because he will look at everything and just stand there. I will get him started with something and then back off.
I have noticed that both families are so busy the kids don't have down time to just think of something to do for themselves.
NightOwl 10:59 AM 03-13-2015
No. Unless I'm offered "lunch" on a little pink plastic plate or if the "phone call" is for me.
This may sound weird, but my one on one time happens mostly at diaper changes. We laugh, I pretend to bite their toes, I sing a song just for them while I'm changing them, we talk about the speck on the ceiling that MUST be a bug of some kind, etc. It's just a few minutes, but they like it and I do too. And we do it several times per day.
MsLisa 05:09 PM 03-13-2015
I am this too. I walk around my room picking up toys, mediating conflicts, answering questions, giving permissions, helping and discipline as needed. I really can't sit and play as much as I like cause as soon as I do X asks to go to the bathroom then another wants to know who's next on the computer, and etc. I am pulled in a 100 different directions mentally even when I'm merely standing still. I do the art projects with them though, as that's my specialty. They are actually pretty good at playing independently, with each other and with my aides.

BUT....at the same time I'm also their "Mom away from mom", as Laundrymom described. I do hugs and snuggles. I ask them about their day, their accomplishments, and hear their troubles. Help them with homework, congratulate their tests, and celebrate birthdays. Their bond with me is the most important, as they all come from a variety of "unfavorable" homes/parents. I treat them like I treat my own which is with absolute goofy love and occasional tough love thrown in.
Unregistered 07:06 PM 03-13-2015
Same here.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:41 AM 03-14-2015
ahhh the age old question
yes, and no.
My philosophy has really been changing and evolving. I try to set out things that will interest them and allow them time to explore. I do more question asking than playing. What do you think we could do with this? Is there anything else that you need for that? Look how tall that is! How many blocks do you have there? What color is that? Can you find the letter B in there?

Questions to get them involved but not dictating their play.
I have found that my thought what they would do with it is not generally what they do with it!
Rocks were being cooked the other day and some were people.

Now babies are different- I model different things for them or will endlessly stack blocks to be knocked down! I do try to match some of my others with littles to play also.

My rule is also unless if I have to, I do not disrupt play with my agenda. So if they are all happily involved in play, I do not change the dynamics- I do not pull out puzzles or bring out a different bin. Now, if they seem to be having trouble settling into play I will pull out a different bin, read a book, or something else to change the dynamic so they settle in. What stops play... going outside, lunch.

Now I also pay attention to each child- look on my fb page for the scorpion I try to address what they are asking about. we have been reading books on underground and dirt as they are starting to dig in the mud again and asking where the worms are. I may work with a child on something individually but not the whole group. My 5 year old and I have been working on letters. He is starting to write better so he and I have been writing but obviously my 1 1/2 yr old does not need to sit there with a pencil to write- although she does "write" a lot with pencils. But I do not have to have them all at the table so that I can work with M. That would be silly. I am working with 3 yr old on her colors and self help skills. I don't need the 5 yr old to work on colors! Now, can we all play a game? yes, are there times we are all dancing or building- yes.

Are there times I am in the kitchen and they are all playing without any input from me? Every single day .. a couple of hours in a day!
originalkat 07:11 PM 03-15-2015
This is me too.
Tags:playing with kids
Reply Up