Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Daycare
AnythingsPossible 09:51 AM 11-18-2019
If you were planning to close the end of the year when would you give notice? I am debating the last day of care before Thanksgiving or the first day back after Thanksgiving. Would you give everyone a brief statement that you will be closing with a letter going into further detail or just tell them and leave it at that. I appreciate any input you all can offer.
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 11-18-2019
If I were closing in the middle of the school year I would try to give as much notice as possible. It is pretty difficult to find care mid-year, here. I think the general guideline is 30 days, though.

Are you planning to close as of New Years Day?
AnythingsPossible 10:38 AM 11-18-2019
My last day would be December 20th as no one needs care over Christmas Break. Would you give notice this week then?
Cat Herder 10:51 AM 11-18-2019
I would.

It may be really difficult to find care during the holidays since even the drop-in slots are being filled with school closures.

I know some families may pull early, so if you need to scale it back to two weeks, do what is in your family's best interests.
Gemma 10:51 AM 11-18-2019
If I was closing next month, I would give parents notice right away.
DaveA 11:13 AM 11-18-2019
If you're closing 12/20 I would give notice this week.
jenboo 12:34 PM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
My last day would be December 20th as no one needs care over Christmas Break. Would you give notice this week then?
I closed the same time a couple years ago (I've reopened since then) and gave notice mid nov
Jo123ABC 01:17 PM 11-18-2019
I would wait a bit for fear of losing income early if it's a year out from your planned close date. I'd give maybe 3 months notice. If you're okay with losing income early than tell them as soon as possible.
AnythingsPossible 01:23 PM 11-18-2019
With the holiday break they all will be taking, giving notice now will give them 6 weeks to find new care. I am not worried about them leaving me if they find care but I do worry about 5 weeks of trying to convince me not to close and passive aggressive comments about me closing. They aren't going to be happy, but I am at a point where I need to put my needs above theirs.
rosieteddy 02:38 PM 11-18-2019
What does it say in your handbook?I would do it December 1st .Right after Thanksgiving why ruin that Holiday.If you tell them before that's all they will be able to think about.I would give them that weekend.Dec 1st gives 3 weeks.If at all possible I would give them names of other providers or centers you know about.
sharlan 03:47 PM 11-18-2019
I gave almost 2 months when I closed down last year. All 3 families waited until the last minute to find new care
bonsaibaby 05:10 PM 11-18-2019
In my area it can take up to 1 year to find a space More than that for sibling pairs.. In January I am giving notice of my retirement in September 2020 and my daughter says I should have done it way sooner for the other parents. My grand-daughter is going to kindergarten in September and after 35 years of daycare and my inheritance coming in I thought it was time for "me" time. I didn't want to spoil their Christmases by telling them now but now I am second guessing myself. Ugggg.
rosieteddy 05:09 AM 11-19-2019
You are right.January is plenty of time.Why ruin your last Holiday season with the families.I had a heart attack 2015 and had to stay closed (retire earlier).Every family found care.Do what you want.
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 11-19-2019
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
With the holiday break they all will be taking, giving notice now will give them 6 weeks to find new care. I am not worried about them leaving me if they find care but I do worry about 5 weeks of trying to convince me not to close and passive aggressive comments about me closing. They aren't going to be happy, but I am at a point where I need to put my needs above theirs.
Personally, I'd give notice the first of December.
That leave them all 3 weeks to make alternate arrangements.

It also leaves less time for them to try to convince you to remain open or to have to hear the disappointing stories about the bind you are leaving them in.

Just practice saying "I understand but everyone needs to do what's best for them/their families"

For those persistent parents that continue with the comments you can always add "and it's helpful if we can do what's best without others making us feel guilty about our choices too...." smile big.

I think 3 weeks is more than enough.
Just long enough for them to figure things out on their end and just long enough for you to not have to endure those long last 3 weeks and avoid having to feel backlash.
Tags:closing daycare - how to
Reply Up