Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Red Flags Gone Wild!
MamaBear 01:15 PM 07-28-2011
I had the ULTIMATE RED FLAG tour yesterday! I gotta share the craziness I encountered!!! lol

First she had an appt at 4:30. She didnt have my address since I wanted her to call me before she was coming so I wouldnt have to deal with another flaker no-show. She calls at 4:25 for the address... Kinda last minute, right? Then doesnt show up till 4:45! I was annoyed because I really wanted to start making dinner, but I thought I'd let it go. (Red flag #1 - LATE)

She comes in with her 3 yr old son and he is the type that just runs in & starts playing with everything... not in a nice way though... rough and crazy (Red Flag #2). Then as I'm telling her what is what about my daycare, it was like she wasnt even listening. She never really asked any questions (Red Flag #3).

Then I notice shes pregnant. She has this TINY pregnant tummy and I ask "Oh your pregnant? How far along are you?" And she replies "Yeah... I'm 8 months"... She literally looked 3 months... Wow! Thats ok - I know everyone grows in different ways I guess... but then shes says "I cant wait till I get IT out of me already". I say "It?" and she says "Yeah this kid". Ohhh boy (Red Flag #4).

During our conversation her son is into EVERYTHING and she never corrects him. Then when she finally does, he has a huge tantrum. (Big Red Flag #5).

Then she tells me that she only wants to bring him 3 days a week for 2 hours!!! What the heck?? Before it was full time and then at the tour its 2 hours. I dont even do hourly care like that and it says so on my website. She said she knew I didnt provide that type of care, but she HOPED I would agree. (Red Flag #6)

Then she asks me how young I care for babies... I say 8 weeks, but prefer them to be a little older. She says "I want to put this kid (while pointing at her belly) in daycare as soon as its born, but i guess I cant do that huh?" I swear I think she was half serious and half joking. It was so sad. I said "uh no." (Red Flag #7)

By now its been almost 40 minutes so she needed to go. I dont even know why I let it go as long as I did. Shes obviously the type that is scared to tell her son it was time to go - because he'd probably have a fit. (Red Flag #8)

She then proceeds to tells me that he doesn't nap ever for anyone and she doesnt want him to have to nap! (Red Flag #9) Also that he hates to color, draw or do any types of arts & crafts (Red Flags #10...)

This was the worst one... He doesnt like other kids and wont play with anyone else (RED FLAG #11). Ohhhh... and she tells me he is potty trained, but he will poop in his underwear at least once a day... BUT she will never use pull ups or anything. He just wont do it in the potty - and prefers he poop in his pants so he'll learn. WTH??? (Red Flag Craziness #12).

So enough is enough... I say its time to end the tour and he has a HUGE fit. Hes kicking & screaming at her - nearly getting her pregnant belly every time. I try to hand him his ball that he brought and he SLAPS it out of my hand and then swings again and slaps my arm!!!! Whatttttt??? (RED FLAG #13 - GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!)

So that was it. I think I need to do background checks before I schedule a tour from now on!!!! CRAZY!!!!!!
nannyde 01:22 PM 07-28-2011

Love love love the title line.

She needs the life experience of every single person saying NO it can't be done. That's the ONLY thing you can offer to her .... the NO CAN DO SISTAH
CheekyChick 01:24 PM 07-28-2011
Oh my goodness!!! You poor thing!!! LOL!!!
daycare 01:30 PM 07-28-2011
we need a site called "you've been red flagged"

then after we term, interview, or etc we go online to the site and post the DCP pictures along side the child with their red flag story.

Of course its only for us providers......lol

like they do with americas most wanted.....
wdmmom 01:45 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

then after we term, interview, or etc we go online to the site and post the DCP pictures along side the child with their red flag story.

Love this idea!!!
SilverSabre25 01:52 PM 07-28-2011
Egad, what a mess! Give yourself a pat on the back that you know enough to spot the red flags and have enough backbone to say NO FLIPPING WAY!
Sugar Magnolia 03:59 PM 07-28-2011
O...M....G!!!!! Don't walk, RUN! Run like the wind! The "it" thing is sooooo creepy!
GretasLittleFriends 06:49 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Oh my goodness!!! You poor thing!!! LOL!!!
Agreed! I also feel bad for the children born into that woman's life.

Originally Posted by daycare:

It can be called "Childcare Providers Least Wanted"
Kaddidle Care 07:15 PM 07-28-2011
... ...&

Oh my!

A red flag list would be wonderful - if only we could do it.

The Mom sounds like a real piece of work. Bet she was State Aided too. Not sure if you got to that part yet.
MamaBear 08:07 AM 07-29-2011
You know what was probably the freakiest part of the tour? The mom looked EXACTLY like Casey Anthony!!!! lol

And yes - there should be a Red Flag website warning us daycare providers who to look out for. There is a Kudzu and a Yelp to rate businesses... we should be able to rate bad parents! hahaha (I'm JUST kidding --- but wouldnt it save us a lot of hassle?) LOL
KEG123 10:40 AM 07-29-2011
Honestly, I just feel really bad for the kids. She probably feels the same way towards both children, they are just "its" to her.
DaycareLady19 11:50 AM 08-01-2011
How awful!!!
Tags:background check, interview gone bad, interview tour, red flag, tantrums
Reply Up