Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ohmygosh....
youretooloud 02:11 PM 04-14-2011
Sponge Bob is really offensive.
TBird 02:13 PM 04-14-2011
HA!!! I love it but I agree...it seems like most of the themes on that cartoon are waaaaay over a kid's head. Aren't SpongeBob & Patrick in their 20's???
daycare 02:22 PM 04-14-2011
lol I think that show is so funny but I think that it should be on later in the evening when kids are in bed.... it's not a good show for little's to watch....so thats my tought.
daysofelijah 02:23 PM 04-14-2011
Never watched it, and never let my kids watch it. I know a lot of my dc kids love sponge bob at home, but they know when they are here it is not on.
missnikki 02:27 PM 04-14-2011
I think that the majority of kids' shows these days are inappropriate, compared to what I was allowed to watch as a kid. Themes, content, the way they talk to each other, the way the screen literally flashes new images every split second....it is intoxicating and hypnotic to all the kids in my group, especially SpongeBob. We have what I call 'Zombie Friday', which is just TV time in the afternoon. Spongebob is always on, or iCarly, or Victorious. It is like crack for my 5-10 year olds.
daycare 02:34 PM 04-14-2011
I agree...I dont let my 3.5 year old watch regular tv. I will record the ones he can watch and then the rest that I allow him to watch we choose from next flix. They have the leap frog series on there so he watches that from time to time. I make my 3.5 year old earn tv time.....
cheerfuldom 02:34 PM 04-14-2011
There are a lot of shows that we won't watch including sponge bob. Probably only a half dozen at most that I will let my girls watch (and the daycare kids on occasion). If we watch anything, it is almost always a DVD because some of the commercials on the kids channels are pretty shocking to me. I always mute commercials if we do watch TV.
daycare 02:49 PM 04-14-2011
yeah like those Axe body spray commericals............WTH it's so bad I think it should be taken off and put on the late night tv shows or rated R shows....they are just wrong...
Lucy 03:13 PM 04-14-2011
What specifically about Spongebob? Like did you see something today that made you want to post about it? I'm just curious. My SA'ers like it and I watch a 2.5 yr old. I've never found anything to be offensive. Not judging, just curious. Maybe I need to rethink letting them watch. Thanks.
youretooloud 03:52 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
What specifically about Spongebob? Like did you see something today that made you want to post about it? I'm just curious. My SA'ers like it and I watch a 2.5 yr old. I've never found anything to be offensive. Not judging, just curious. Maybe I need to rethink letting them watch. Thanks.
Well, the kids were sleeping and the tv was on, so I flipped through the channels, and hit on Sponge bob.

Plankton was calling some kid a smelly spoiled brat, then he called the mom an old hag, then he called the dad a fat slob.

I was kinda shocked.... yet, I just kept looking. Like a train wreck.
daycare 03:58 PM 04-14-2011
I think a lot of it is over there head...I dont watch it but my older two do and I sat one time to watch it with them. there is a squirl in the show and he says to sponge bob help me find my nuts. Things like that
AfterSchoolMom 04:31 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think a lot of it is over there head...I dont watch it but my older two do and I sat one time to watch it with them. there is a squirl in the show and he says to sponge bob help me find my nuts. Things like that
The squirrel is a girl

I don't mind Sponge Bob - in fact, I actually like it. I can't stand the teen comedies - Victorious, Hannah Montana, etc. - they drive me up the wall.
Also, I don't think it's just the older kids' cartoons that are always offensive. Anyone ever watched Caillou? That kid is whiny little brat! And does Dora EVER stop shouting? And where are poor Max and Ruby's parents? Maybe if they were around, Max would listen once in awhile instead of being so defiant. :P

I don't think the cartoons I watched as a kid were much better. Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, and the Road Runner/Coyote were all SO violent. Charlie Brown was always depressed, and have you ever watched a Disney movie? They're all full of adult jokes and innuendo.

Wow, I didn't realize I had so much to say about this. Haha!
Former Teacher 04:39 PM 04-14-2011
Kinda funny but the 3 year old I watch goes to sleep during SpongeBob

I put on UmiZoomi and after that goes on SBSP and then the little boy is cutting some serious ZZZZZ's
Mrs.Ky 04:47 PM 04-14-2011
LOL, we all (my family) love spongebob in my house we watch it everyday.
nannyde 04:51 PM 04-14-2011
I love it. Cracks me up. I think it's clever but I've never seen anything offensive on it.

One of my nearly two princess dcg is in LOVE with all things sponge. I call her Ponge. She has some slammin sponge clothes. The jammies are a kick.
PitterPatter 05:29 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I saw many an episode before that had Squidward calling spongebob and partrick morons idiots etc. I do not allow young children to watch such things, what if they start calling each other that or the parents. When/if we do get TV time here it's Sprout or Disney, PBS or a leap frog video. What made me decide once and for all my 9 yr old was not allowed to watch it anymore was when they went on a panty raid and it turned out to me Mr Krabs Mothers house. I think a panty raid is just awful to be teaching children so we are done in this house.
Former Teacher 05:39 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
I saw many an episode before that had Squidward calling spongebob and partrick morons idiots etc.
Even movies like Toy Story 2 and Cars have words like moron and loser etc...and that is Disney!
PitterPatter 05:47 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Even movies like Toy Story 2 and Cars have words like moron and loser etc...and that is Disney!
I do not allow those during daycare either. I was referring to the Mickey Mouse club house on Disney. The longest the kids have ever sat in front of my TV was about 30 minutes while I prepare dinner. Sorry I should have been more specific.
Meeko 05:57 PM 04-14-2011
We don't have TV at the day care. We watch videos at the end of the day, but no regular TV.
Unregistered 06:40 PM 04-14-2011
I think it is terrible and never let kids watch it or anything along the same lines at my house. It has sexual overtones and jokes that are not appropriate for young kids. Also the language is nothing I would let my kids say- and therefore shouldnt be exposed to.
Abigail 08:20 PM 04-14-2011
Once in awhile we have a day we show a movie that is appropriate and twice in the last month we've put on a rug rats episode but they're about 15-20 minutes. I watched Rug Rats growing up so it's so funny it is a dvd at the daycare, lol.
AmandasFCC 10:28 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
The squirrel is a girl

I don't mind Sponge Bob - in fact, I actually like it. I can't stand the teen comedies - Victorious, Hannah Montana, etc. - they drive me up the wall.
Also, I don't think it's just the older kids' cartoons that are always offensive. Anyone ever watched Caillou? That kid is whiny little brat! And does Dora EVER stop shouting? And where are poor Max and Ruby's parents? Maybe if they were around, Max would listen once in awhile instead of being so defiant. :P

I don't think the cartoons I watched as a kid were much better. Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, and the Road Runner/Coyote were all SO violent. Charlie Brown was always depressed, and have you ever watched a Disney movie? They're all full of adult jokes and innuendo.

Caillou is blocked on my TV. I absolutely will not allow my child or any daycare children to watch that horrible show EVER on my watch.

That is all. Continue
AfterSchoolMom 03:47 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
Caillou is blocked on my TV. I absolutely will not allow my child or any daycare children to watch that horrible show EVER on my watch.

That is all. Continue
I really wish we had a "Like" button!
dEHmom 04:21 AM 04-15-2011
The squirrel is a girl

I was thinking and planning on posting exactly this...then i noticed you already have.

Even shows like Family Guy (not child appropriate AT ALL), but the young kids, even a lot of teenagers, would not understand what is going on. Little kids mostly just watch, not listen.

I can think of a few movies/shows I grew up with, that I watched on a daily basis, and never had a clue what was ACTUALLY being talked about. I watched these 10000000 times, and it wasn't until I was ALOT older when I finally LISTENED to what was being said.
dEHmom 04:23 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Once in awhile we have a day we show a movie that is appropriate and twice in the last month we've put on a rug rats episode but they're about 15-20 minutes. I watched Rug Rats growing up so it's so funny it is a dvd at the daycare, lol.
my first client....

I asked if it was ok to watch certain movies (for movie day), and she said oh yeah, anything is fine, as long as it is NOT RUGRATS! they are always saying stupid babies and she didn't want her son saying it. lol.
My Daycare 04:31 AM 04-15-2011

Anyone ever watched Caillou? That kid is whiny little brat!
His voice has always made my skin crawl.
AfterSchoolMom 04:41 AM 04-15-2011
Did you ever notice how many curse words there are in Disney/PG movies?

Pinnoccio says "Jack@ss", for example...and most all of them contain a stray "d" or "h" word.
QualiTcare 05:04 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
i agree - i don't think it's the best cartoon by any means, but i do think that most things are over the kid's heads. lots of cartoons and kid's movies are like that - they make it so adults can find it amusing without kids really understanding the hidden messages.
BentleysBands 06:14 AM 04-15-2011
We are Spongebob fanatics here...both family and daycare kids
Zoe 06:28 AM 04-15-2011
I used to LOVE Spongebob, not so much anymore, but more-so because I think it's annoying.

We don't have cable at all, we only have Netflix and I have put a lot of tv shows on my instant queue that are kid-friendly for the 2-4 range. Shows like Arthur, Wonder Pets, Word World, and Dragon Tales. Basically, if it's on PBS, then I let them watch it. The TV isn't on for very long, but that's what they get to choose from. No annoying or inappropriate commercials, I can start or stop it at any time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Netflix!

I'm not that conservative of a person, I just don't want my kids or any of my dck's repeating something that could get them in trouble.

Oh....and Caillou s*cks
dEHmom 06:51 AM 04-15-2011
I tried hard to shelter my kids from words like Monsters, and such. I was very ticked off when it was Franklin who introduced monsters to my daughter, and she was haunted for a year, before the ghost was told to go home with grampa. Honestly, it still scares me thinking about it, because even I had encounters with unexplainable things in this house, and after grampas said "come on donkers, time to come to my house" it all stopped.

The picture my dd drew to explain what donkers was was very frightening. And no clue where she ever came up with it. And it was furry too. Does anyone know what an oopik is? Her drawing reminded us of this, but not identical. White fur with red eyes and lives in the wall she said. Thank you franklin!

wdmmom 10:11 AM 04-15-2011
On a very, very rare occasion I will turn on Spongebob in the late afternoon. The last time it was only on for about 3 minutes before the word, "Stupid" was shouted so off it went! I don't like that word, I don't allow that word and I don't want the kids thinking since Spongebob said it, it must be okay.
Kaddidle Care 02:50 PM 04-15-2011
Sponge Bob Stupid Pants. Bleh!

My son likes it - I'm on the verge of banning it in this house. Please don't let little kids see it. Oh yuck!
daycare 02:53 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
On a very, very rare occasion I will turn on Spongebob in the late afternoon. The last time it was only on for about 3 minutes before the word, "Stupid" was shouted so off it went! I don't like that word, I don't allow that word and I don't want the kids thinking since Spongebob said it, it must be okay.
diito we dont use that word here either. I dont even allow for my older kids 13-15 to say it because then my little 3 year old will be running around calling everyone stupid...

I like the simpsons, it's a cartoon, but it's def not for little kids and I feel the same way about SPSP....YUCK
Country Kids 03:09 PM 04-15-2011
The one cartoon that is my favorite but not for kids is "King Of The Hill". I watch it every night before going to bed and get so mad when there is something else on that I would like to watch! I do not like having to make decisions when I'm tired.
Unregistered 03:10 PM 04-15-2011
Sponge Bob is NOT acceptable viewing for children, or tasteful for adults. Yes the word stupid is overly used, but also the themes are not funny. I scares me that so many of you are fans. We also avoid anything with fight scenes, rough language, name calling or grossness (spongebob's tanning episode - viewed before I cared for children made this rule).

I know kids are going to learn bad language. Its important that they learn to express themselves (and their feelings - Like Caillou) well and apropriately first. Also - we teach working our problems out.

TV is so mesmerizing - it is impossible for children to screen behavior models at a young age. We use proper language and expect that and do not model bad behavior in media or in person.
AfterSchoolMom 04:20 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
or tasteful for adults.
I like it. I like the Simpsons too, and one of my favorites (that DH and I watch all the time when the kids are in bed) is Family Guy. I guess I'm just not a "tasteful" person.
daycare 04:50 PM 04-15-2011
I like it. I like the Simpsons too, and one of my favorites (that DH and I watch all the time when the kids are in bed) is Family Guy. I guess I'm just not a "tasteful" person.
lmao me either.....I love the simpsons....but would never let my 3.5 year old watch it...he's got blues clues and leap frog to watch....
littlemissmuffet 07:03 PM 04-15-2011
For me, daycare and tv don't mix. There's MAYBE 8 times a YEAR that my DC kids watch tv/a short film...

As for me and hubs, we love the sponge and we're not opposed to the kids also watching it. We teach our kids the difference between pretend and reality and the difference between acceptable behavior and unacceptable behavior, so this is a non-issue.

Kids see far worse in the real world than they do in the 30 minutes they're staring at a talking sponge... over-sheltering kids always backfires, IMO.
MyAngels 07:42 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
As for me and hubs, we love the sponge and we're not opposed to the kids also watching it. We teach our kids the difference between pretend and reality and the difference between acceptable behavior and unacceptable behavior, so this is a non-issue.

Kids see far worse in the real world than they do in the 30 minutes they're staring at a talking sponge... over-sheltering kids always backfires, IMO.

This is the way I feel, too. Even if they don't watch it at my house or at home, they're going to see it somewhere, so they need to understand that it's just pretend. I do worry about the kids whose parents don't take the time to help their children make the distinction, though.
AfterSchoolMom 11:45 AM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
over-sheltering kids always backfires, IMO.
This reminds me of a story - when my first was little (4'ish) I wouldn't allow any gun play at all. I wouldn't allow toy guns, or talk of guns, or shows about guns or violence. Then one day he bent his bendable Easter Bunny into the shape of a gun and "shot" me with it. He'd seen some kids playing "guns" at the playground at preschool.

It didn't make a bit of difference that I'd spent years sheltering him from the "violence". He was a boy, and boys play with toy guns. I relaxed, and from then on instead of forbidding them totally, I turned it into a lesson about pretend vs. the real thing, and the older he gets, the more we talk about gun safety and what to do if he ever comes across a real one, etc.

I think he's more responsible because of it.

Sorry to threadjack, but it does relate. While I don't think the kids should watch adult themed cartoons like Family Guy, I don't think it's possible to totally shield them from all impropriety where cartoons are concerned. Even if you don't own a TV, their friends do. They'll see or hear things eventually, and I'd rather prepare them for it and let them know what is acceptable and what isn't before that happens.
littlemissmuffet 10:15 PM 04-16-2011
This reminds me of a story - when my first was little (4'ish) I wouldn't allow any gun play at all. I wouldn't allow toy guns, or talk of guns, or shows about guns or violence. Then one day he bent his bendable Easter Bunny into the shape of a gun and "shot" me with it. He'd seen some kids playing "guns" at the playground at preschool.

It didn't make a bit of difference that I'd spent years sheltering him from the "violence". He was a boy, and boys play with toy guns. I relaxed, and from then on instead of forbidding them totally, I turned it into a lesson about pretend vs. the real thing, and the older he gets, the more we talk about gun safety and what to do if he ever comes across a real one, etc.

I think he's more responsible because of it.

Sorry to threadjack, but it does relate. While I don't think the kids should watch adult themed cartoons like Family Guy, I don't think it's possible to totally shield them from all impropriety where cartoons are concerned. Even if you don't own a TV, their friends do. They'll see or hear things eventually, and I'd rather prepare them for it and let them know what is acceptable and what isn't before that happens.
LIKE!
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 04-17-2011
My own kids grew up watching Rug Rats, Looney Tunes and every popular Disney movie released during their childhoods. They even loved that big stupid gigantic purple dinosaur.....bleh....but it didn't shape their lives (or give them nightmares) or make them the people they are today....

My DH and I shaped them, taught them values, the difference between what is real and what is not, taught them what is socially appropriate and what isn't. We even swore now and then in front of them despite trying our best to watch our mouths but our kids still learned what okay language was and what words would earn them a time out.

They weren't out right sheilded from every bad or influencial thing that came out of this big bad world.....that would have been impossible. Instead, we as parents simply approached the whole thing as a learning experience; to teach our kids that there are bad words, actions and things out in the real world but there is a personal responsibility to make good choices and be good people despite anything they may have seen, heard or learned that was considered "inappropriate".

I do not think that we should let our kids watch rated R movies or anything like that, I am simply making the point that we cannot shield our kids from everything...they are gonna see it, hear it, learn it and possibly participate in it....that is why they are kids...so they can make mistakes and learn from them. Shielding them from cartoons we may not like or approve of doesn't guarantee who is influenced by what, the parents (and providers) are the ones who make the biggest influences on them.

So if kids wanna watch RugRats or Sponge Bob, I could care less....what I care about are their actions and behaviors while in my care...the rest, I cannot control.

....and loving the hippest, newest, coolest cartoon out there is part of a social learning experience and part being accepted by their peers....which is important to proper learning and growth.

FTR; We are a no TV childcare but that doesn't mean the kiddos don't have TV at home or everywhere else.
melissa ann 04:17 PM 06-18-2011
The squirrel is a girl

Totally agree. I'd rather my kids watch sponge bob over that annoying Dora anytime. And if I was Ruby, I would lock Max in a closet. What an annoying brother!
sharlan 04:34 PM 06-18-2011
Caillou drove me up the wall. I would rather watch 12 hours of Barney, straight. But, in his defense, they've toned down the whinning. They must have gotten a lot of complaints about it.

I can't stand iCarly. She is the epitome of mean.

I love the older PBS shows.

Right now my dh has the kids watching Shaun the Sheep while I make breakfast in the morning. I keep telling him that it's killing off their little brain cells.
snowball 12:02 AM 06-19-2011
I haven't read all the respnses, but I don't allow TV on in my home while daycare is in session.
Tags:cartoons, offensive, sponge bob, television
Reply Up