Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Approach Situation With Sleepy Toddler?
Brookenbrandt 09:18 AM 08-20-2014
I have a 17 month old girl that comes to my daycare during the week. She seems to be constantly tired. She is dropped off around 9 am and right away will show signs of being tired. Throughout the day she is always lying on the floor, struggling to keep her eyes open, she holds her eyes open with her fingers, she doesn't like for me to hold her because she knows she will fall asleep. When we have lunch she is just a zombie sitting in her high chair and it frustrates her so she cries. She takes a good 1.5-2 hour nap daily. Even after waking up from the nap she is still holding her eyes open and lying around. She is also very sensitive and grumpy and constantly whining.

The parents say to only give her the one nap during the day. I do not want to seem pushy in an approach to tell them my concern about the situation. I have mentioned that she was tired a lot and didn't get much of a response.

What should I do? Should I be concerned that there may be something wrong with this girl (i.e. low iron or something) or maybe she is going to bed too late at home or not sleeping soundly enough?
BrooklynM 09:24 AM 08-20-2014
Everyday at drop off I would ask- how did she sleep last night? Just make it a routine to ask to see what they say. Ask them what time she went to bed, what time she woke up and if she slept through the night. It will give you an idea of what her sleeping pattern is like at home. I would also find out how she eats at home. Maybe she isn't getting proper nutrition. Then, on Mondays ask how she napped and slept over the weekend. If she is getting what seems to be enough rest and she still seems lethargic, I would let them know you are concerned and you would like her to be checked out by the doctor. It could be a medical issue...it sounds like you have some instincts about this, go with them and if she is tired, I would let her nap whenever she wants.
Leigh 10:18 AM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by Brookenbrandt:
I have a 17 month old girl that comes to my daycare during the week. She seems to be constantly tired. She is dropped off around 9 am and right away will show signs of being tired. Throughout the day she is always lying on the floor, struggling to keep her eyes open, she holds her eyes open with her fingers, she doesn't like for me to hold her because she knows she will fall asleep. When we have lunch she is just a zombie sitting in her high chair and it frustrates her so she cries. She takes a good 1.5-2 hour nap daily. Even after waking up from the nap she is still holding her eyes open and lying around. She is also very sensitive and grumpy and constantly whining.

The parents say to only give her the one nap during the day. I do not want to seem pushy in an approach to tell them my concern about the situation. I have mentioned that she was tired a lot and didn't get much of a response.

What should I do? Should I be concerned that there may be something wrong with this girl (i.e. low iron or something) or maybe she is going to bed too late at home or not sleeping soundly enough?
The first step is to find out if lack of sleep is the issue. Ask the parents what time she goes to bed and what time she gets up. She should be getting 12-14 hours of sleep per day until about age 3. So many kids don't get nearly enough. If she is sleeping only 8 hours at home, then she will need lots more at your home, and I would put her on a 2 nap a day schedule.
Heidi 10:45 AM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
The first step is to find out if lack of sleep is the issue. Ask the parents what time she goes to bed and what time she gets up. She should be getting 12-14 hours of sleep per day until about age 3. So many kids don't get nearly enough. If she is sleeping only 8 hours at home, then she will need lots more at your home, and I would put her on a 2 nap a day schedule.

Heidi 10:46 AM 08-20-2014
My toddlers sleep from 8-6 or so at home (roughly) and 3 hours here every day. The older ones, who are now 20 months, really just outgrew a 45 minute nap in the mornings.
cheerfuldom 03:31 PM 08-20-2014
If it was really that bad, I would put her down for an hour when she gets there and then again when the others go to afternoon nap. At max, she would be sleeping 3 hours which is not at all abnormal for a 17 month old. Because she doesnt sleep long enough in the afternoon, it is not weird to divide up the "single nap" I would just do what works and not even mention it to the parents. Try it for a week and see how it goes.
NightOwl 05:21 PM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If it was really that bad, I would put her down for an hour when she gets there and then again when the others go to afternoon nap. At max, she would be sleeping 3 hours which is not at all abnormal for a 17 month old. Because she doesnt sleep long enough in the afternoon, it is not weird to divide up the "single nap" I would just do what works and not even mention it to the parents. Try it for a week and see how it goes.
Totally agree. Don't keep her awake because the parents say so, if it means she's miserable during the day. She's young to be down to one nap. They probably want her awake more at your house so she'll pass out early at home.
Unregistered 06:55 PM 08-20-2014
At 17 months my son was still taking two naps a long one at 930 or 10. Then a shorter 1 hour nap at 3. At night he was sleeping from 7 to 6 so he was getting enough sleep at night. I think two naps is normal for this age.
Cradle2crayons 07:44 PM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I will NOT deny an exhausted child a nap, regardless of what the parents want.

I would totally place the child down for a morning nap and again with the others for the afternoon nap.

And I would totally not feel the need to tell the parents. Parents don't control my daycare schedule or my nap schedule and I don't need hem to micromanage my day.

I would DEFINATELY ask the parents about heir sleeping schedule at home though and note it in his file. Then I would drop it with them, try the two naps me see how it goes.
Play Care 06:11 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I will NOT deny an exhausted child a nap, regardless of what the parents want.

I would totally place the child down for a morning nap and again with the others for the afternoon nap.

And I would totally not feel the need to tell the parents. Parents don't control my daycare schedule or my nap schedule and I don't need hem to micromanage my day.

I would DEFINATELY ask the parents about heir sleeping schedule at home though and note it in his file. Then I would drop it with them, try the two naps me see how it goes.

Tags:tiredness, toddler
Reply Up