Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Powdered Milk??
Unregistered 06:16 AM 06-22-2011
I have a small in home daycare and now that summer is here I have several older kids(siblings of my younger ones). We go through A LOT of milk..I was wondering if anyone has used powdered milk?? I am thinking for cereal..making muffins etc..just not giving it in the cups like I do the milk from the jug..is there a noteable difference??
Rachel 06:27 AM 06-22-2011
I don't think there is such a difference. I used to use powdered all the time, but here they don't really have it. I used to make it up in a rubbermaid flask and leave it in the fridge so it tasted more like real milk. I think for cooking for sure it will be fine. I didn't notice a difference in my cereal, but pickier kids might. I say give it a shot!
Childminder 08:25 AM 06-22-2011
If you are a part of the food program you might not be able to use it. Check with your rep. They just came out with the new milk rules and since it is skimmed milk I don't see why not but did not see it addressed in the rulings.

That being said I always cook with it and stretch my families milk by mixing 1/2 & 1/2 with milk I buy.
squareone 10:16 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
If you are a part of the food program you might not be able to use it. Check with your rep. They just came out with the new milk rules and since it is skimmed milk I don't see why not but did not see it addressed in the rulings.

That being said I always cook with it and stretch my families milk by mixing 1/2 & 1/2 with milk I buy.
I am on the food program and I know that here we are allowed to cook with powdered milk but can only serve fluid milk as the meal component. I'm not sure if this is a federal requirement of the program or if this is one of those things that is left up to each sponsor to interpret.
Blackcat31 10:37 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
I am on the food program and I know that here we are allowed to cook with powdered milk but can only serve fluid milk as the meal component. I'm not sure if this is a federal requirement of the program or if this is one of those things that is left up to each sponsor to interpret.
Pretty sure the meal pattern requirements are federal. It says fluid milk on their web-site so I am thinking that means you can cook with powdered but must serve milk purchased in fluid form only.
Cat Herder 12:31 PM 06-22-2011
Powdered milk is against regs here.
dEHmom 04:59 AM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
hahaha, i wonder though, powder + water = fluid milk. WTH is the difference??? is the nutritional aspects of powdered milk less?

Honestly, I can see the whole reasoning behind the no powdered milk coming down to people who stretch every penny and put more water than called for. Like some people do with baby powdered formula. They don't mix is appropriately and baby isn't getting anything out of the formula because it's mainly water.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
hahaha, i wonder though, powder + water = fluid milk. WTH is the difference??? is the nutritional aspects of powdered milk less?

Honestly, I can see the whole reasoning behind the no powdered milk coming down to people who stretch every penny and put more water than called for. Like some people do with baby powdered formula. They don't mix is appropriately and baby isn't getting anything out of the formula because it's mainly water.
HaHa, nice try! When they say fluid, it means purchased in fluid form. I like how you adapt and overcome though! LOL!!
dEHmom 08:18 AM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
HaHa, nice try! When they say fluid, it means purchased in fluid form. I like how you adapt and overcome though! LOL!!
worth a shot i figured. i mean, maybe someone out there was serving powdered milk in the powder form! kinda like the labels "caution! HOT!" on coffee and "do not use hairdryer in the bathtub!" seriously, some people need these labels?!?!?!?!
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 06-23-2011
worth a shot i figured. i mean, maybe someone out there was serving powdered milk in the powder form! kinda like the labels "caution! HOT!" on coffee and "do not use hairdryer in the bathtub!" seriously, some people need these labels?!?!?!?!
Yeah, my dad's motorhome says on the flap on the visor "Do not leave driver's seat while vehicle is in motion." REALLY!?!?!?

I think alot of our problems in the world could be naturally solved if we would simply remove most of the warning labels.
dEHmom 09:30 AM 06-23-2011
"Do not leave driver's seat while vehicle is in motion."
I was so tempted to say F off hahahaha, but i won't, even though i kinda did. That was my reaction. Seriously! Dear lord what is this world coming to!

Do not operate while sleeping is another good one.
GretasLittleFriends 01:49 PM 06-23-2011
Yeah, my dad's motorhome says on the flap on the visor "Do not leave driver's seat while vehicle is in motion." REALLY!?!?!?

I think alot of our problems in the world could be naturally solved if we would simply remove most of the warning labels.
This is terrible! I'm laughing, and I do find it true, though I'm not sure I would have had the courage to admit it out loud.

Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest" theory and of course the corresponding "Darwin Awards" is what comes to mind.
GretasLittleFriends 01:52 PM 06-23-2011
Oh, and my food program lady said we are not allowed to "serve" powdered milk. She never said I couldn't cook with it. I never asked, as I don't, but now am thinking this may be a more inexpensive way to cook certain things, like home made alfredo sauce in which I use quite a bit of milk.
Blackcat31 01:53 PM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
This is terrible! I'm laughing, and I do find it true, though I'm not sure I would have had the courage to admit it out loud.

Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest" theory and of course the corresponding "Darwin Awards" is what comes to mind.
I hope you know I was kidding (sort of )!! I mean it is just so sad that we actually have to warn people that coffee is hot, kwim?

As child care providers, do we not teach the children in our care natural consequences? If they jump on the sofa and fall off, then we tell them that is why we do not jump on the sofa. That is a natural consequence right? So how come it is okay to let children learn natural consequences but not adults?... just sayin'..
dEHmom 04:46 AM 06-24-2011
you know, i checked out the powdered milk yesterday because I had no idea of the price, never bought it before. I don't see how it is that different to fresh milk in terms of cost.

When I worked out a bag to the number of litres you can make out of it was 1.22/ Litre and this was store brand skim milk.

I normally buy 2% milk in 4 L jug for about 4.79 and that works out to 1.1975 per litre. That doesn't make any sense? the powdered milk is more.

I also triple checked my math (which I just passed btw! got 94% on my exam woohoo) and came out with the same answers.

I will check around because that was only from 1 store, but often I buy milk at 3.99 for 4 L because it's on sale and cheaper at certain stores.
dEHmom 04:51 AM 06-24-2011
I hope you know I was kidding (sort of )!! I mean it is just so sad that we actually have to warn people that coffee is hot, kwim?

As child care providers, do we not teach the children in our care natural consequences? If they jump on the sofa and fall off, then we tell them that is why we do not jump on the sofa. That is a natural consequence right? So how come it is okay to let children learn natural consequences but not adults?... just sayin'..
Alot of those warning labels are because some idiot hurt themselves (purposely or not) and sued. If there's a warning that something is hot, maybe then the onus is on the consumer and not the producer???

It's amazing and almost laughable when you hear of all the sueing that happens south of the border
I remember being a young child when my parents were watching the news about the woman who was burnt by her coffee (i can't recall exactly, but i think it was at mcdonalds?) and sued, and then they put the caution on the cups. I also remember saying "well duh! did you think you ordered cold coffee?"

I just know that no matter what, there is always someone looking for a handout somewhere in the world. And if it's by means of sueing then that's the way they go.
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 06-24-2011
Alot of those warning labels are because some idiot hurt themselves (purposely or not) and sued. If there's a warning that something is hot, maybe then the onus is on the consumer and not the producer???

It's amazing and almost laughable when you hear of all the sueing that happens south of the border
I remember being a young child when my parents were watching the news about the woman who was burnt by her coffee (i can't recall exactly, but i think it was at mcdonalds?) and sued, and then they put the caution on the cups. I also remember saying "well duh! did you think you ordered cold coffee?"

I just know that no matter what, there is always someone looking for a handout somewhere in the world. And if it's by means of sueing then that's the way they go.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91427&page=1

they sue McDonald's most often and recently I have even heard that they have made it a law that you cna no longer sue fast food places for burning yo with coffee or making you fat or for giving out toys in their Happy Meals or whatever reason....

and yes, our sue happy country is sort of embarrassing in that aspect....

I'm thinking about suing Minnesota because misquitoes have bit me while I've been outside. or maybe because the weather hasn't been sunny, or possibly because I have found a few wood ticks on my dog... I dunno, I haven't quite decided what basis for court I am gonna use yet....
dEHmom 09:08 AM 06-24-2011
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91427&page=1

they sue McDonald's most often and recently I have even heard that they have made it a law that you cna no longer sue fast food places for burning yo with coffee or making you fat or for giving out toys in their Happy Meals or whatever reason....

and yes, our sue happy country is sort of embarrassing in that aspect....

I'm thinking about suing Minnesota because misquitoes have bit me while I've been outside. or maybe because the weather hasn't been sunny, or possibly because I have found a few wood ticks on my dog... I dunno, I haven't quite decided what basis for court I am gonna use yet....
I know!

Sue because a branch fell off a tree and hit you in the head and ALMOST poked your eye out!
kidkair 11:18 AM 06-24-2011
I know!

Sue because a branch fell off a tree and hit you in the head and ALMOST poked your eye out!
A neighbor asked my cousin to cut down her tree because it might fall and hurt their car. Cousin said no because the tree was perfectly healthy. A month later a huge storm pushed it over on to her neighbor's car. Cousin got sued for not taking preventative measures. Neighbor lost because nature happens! (especially when you taunt it!)
dEHmom 11:38 AM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
A neighbor asked my cousin to cut down her tree because it might fall and hurt their car. Cousin said no because the tree was perfectly healthy. A month later a huge storm pushed it over on to her neighbor's car. Cousin got sued for not taking preventative measures. Neighbor lost because nature happens! (especially when you taunt it!)
hahahaha no way! that's funny.
Childminder 11:54 AM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by :
you know, i checked out the powdered milk yesterday because I had no idea of the price, never bought it before. I don't see how it is that different to fresh milk in terms of cost.

When I worked out a bag to the number of litres you can make out of it was 1.22/ Litre and this was store brand skim milk.

I normally buy 2% milk in 4 L jug for about 4.79 and that works out to 1.1975 per litre. That doesn't make any sense? the powdered milk is more.

I also triple checked my math (which I just passed btw! got 94% on my exam woohoo) and came out with the same answers.

I will check around because that was only from 1 store, but often I buy milk at 3.99 for 4 L because it's on sale and cheaper at certain stores.
Yeah, I remember it costing almost as much years ago but if I bought the store brand it was cheaper. I get it from my sister, she is a senior and gets Federal Commodities and doesn't like powd milk or use it. So mine is free.
Tags:milk, milk - powered
Reply Up