Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Books on Manners
mamamanda 06:37 AM 06-11-2018
Anyone have a suggestion for a good picture book on table manners? I really struggle with this group on this topic & would love a book to reiterate in a fun way.
storybookending 08:47 AM 06-11-2018
We have a book called Manners Mashup it is a SA book but I adapt the words on some of the pages to better fit my group. There is a two page spread on each area “school bus” ”classroom” “cafeteria” “table” “playground” “birthday party“ “doctors office” etc. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...anners-mash-up

The cafeteria and table manners both have good advice that the kids love that might fit your needs.

I got the book from the school district as they get rid of library books they aren’t allowed to sell them so they throw them in boxes to be trashed and one of the custodians at the school I ran my after care program in calls me up to take my pick after the teachers have picked out what they want. This is also how I get basically brand new markers and crayons as at the end of the year a lot of kids throw them out. We are stocked up on those for a few years.

Not all of the pages fit all of my kids but we talk about the future.. “next year when you ride the bus to daycare here is the rules you should follow” .. that kind of stuff. This is deff a fav book any time it is out in the rotation. Some of the things are a little inappropriate, I just don’t read those parts.
Mad_Pistachio 09:23 AM 06-11-2018
there is a book called "It's a spoon, not a shovel" by Caralyn Buehner. I got it from the library when we had a week on manners, but I wasn't the one reading it, so can't say much about it.
oh, found another one. "How my parents learned to eat" by Ina R. Friedman.
racemom 09:35 AM 06-11-2018
Free spirit publishing has a lit of good books on manners, sharing and feelings. I use the board book mealtime for my toddlers.
mamamanda 11:28 AM 06-11-2018
Thank you all! I will check these out!
Cat Herder 11:35 AM 06-11-2018
Table Talk; Juia Cook.

The author of Decibella, My mouth is a Volcano, Tattle Tongue, Bully Beans, Personal Space Camp, Hygiene: You stink and many of my other favs.

I buy pretty much anything she puts out. Her deployment book is in transit as we speak for our Independence day, 4th of July unit.

I have threatened to get parents a copy of "I just don't like the sound of No" a few times.
Tags:book suggestions, manners
Reply Up