Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Mom Brought Her Dog To My Daycare
Oneluckymom 11:47 PM 03-30-2012
So today at pickup one of my DCM's brought her dog (the size of a lab) to daycare and released it into my fenced yard with my toddlers outside playing! I was so shocked that she didn't ask first or even hint at bringing her dog!

I was so scared that a child would get hurt or nipped at. She said after me speechless for 15min "I hope your ok with her being here?" ummm, well she seems like a nice dog, but I'm not sure how the other parents would feel about it. The dog went to the car at that point!!!

I just cannot believe a parent would be so bold? How would you guys have handled this? I had no words!!! Literally, I just stood there smiling away, watching my kids and thinking " OMG!"
bice99 12:34 AM 03-31-2012
Insurance will not cover dog bites. So no way that dog would have been allowed in my yard. BTW - I own 2 dogs. Dog owners need to be responsible and respectful.
godiva83 05:14 AM 03-31-2012
DCG and mum always walk here and bring their dog. She usually ties her up to a post on my porch; however, a few times she has come in to the house. At first I was thinking how rude, but as I got to know them she is the sweetest lab ever and I would even watch her if needed
Kaddidle Care 05:16 AM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
So today at pickup one of my DCM's brought her dog (the size of a lab) to daycare and released it into my fenced yard with my toddlers outside playing! I was so shocked that she didn't ask first or even hint at bringing her dog!

I was so scared that a child would get hurt or nipped at. She said after me speechless for 15min "I hope your ok with her being here?" ummm, well she seems like a nice dog, but I'm not sure how the other parents would feel about it. The dog went to the car at that point!!!

I just cannot believe a parent would be so bold? How would you guys have handled this? I had no words!!! Literally, I just stood there smiling away, watching my kids and thinking " OMG!"
OMG is right! You should have stopped her at the gate - I know.. she was in before you knew it but nuh uh! Lady, get your dog NOW!

I have one of the sweetest dogs going (Golden Retriever) but would NEVER do something like that. When he is around children he is leashed closely - within 18" of me so that he doesn't accidentally knock a child over.

There are allergies to consider and YOU would be liable if the dog were to knock down and hurt a child or worse yet, bite.

That parent needs a written warning and your handbook needs to be adjusted to read NO PETS if it doesn't have it already.

Again... "The rules do not apply to me" people. They really make me burn.
CheekyChick 07:57 AM 03-31-2012
That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO rude!!!

I would have immediately told her that NO dogs are allowed around the children without a copy of their shot records on file. I would also have mentioned the liability issue because as nice as the dog may have been, dogs are dogs and you aren't willing to take a chance with the safety of your little ones.
Soccermom 12:26 PM 04-01-2012
Not cool! I have a friend of mine who does the same whenever she comes to pick up her kids on the weekends. She will just let the dog into my house. Yes I do have a dog but that does not mean I want your dog running through my house too!
It is ridiculous how some ppl just assume that everyone else loves animals too. I love animals but not all I don't care to have random dogs running about my house and yard. Plus kids are not always thrilled to be around dogs either. My dog is about 6 pounds and all 3 of my kids are terrified of big dogs.
cheerfuldom 12:31 PM 04-01-2012
I would have spoke up right away and had the dog removed immediately. Even if the dog accidentally hurt someone (running by and knocking a new walker over), no parent is going to overlook that you let a random dog run thru the kids area. I would be flaming mad if my kids got hurt at daycare because the provider let someone bring a dog into the kids play area.
My3cents 10:25 AM 04-02-2012
thanks for posting.

I need to add this to my policy book.
Tags:disrespectful parents, parents - are clueless, pets in daycare
Reply Up