Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Classroom Pets
thetoddlerwhisper 05:54 AM 10-15-2013
does anyone have/had a lionhead rabbit in their center? i have a lady who is donating a young one to our toddler room and not sure of anything about them. how big do they get? were they easy to care for? ok with your little ones?
Willow 06:20 AM 10-15-2013
Rabbits aren't usually the best fit for a classroom setting.

Although Lionheads are typically more even keeled than other breeds at the end of the day they are still rabbits and can easily become stressed by the sights and sounds of a group of children. When I say stressed I mean quite literally that they can tip over dead on the spot if the world around them becomes too much to cope with.

Add to that you said this one is young, and as they hit adolescence many go through a phase where they bite. Unneutered males will also often start marking then.

How big it gets will depend on it's breeding and how to care for it can be googled up (alfalfa pellets, fresh veg, small amounts of fruit, water, bedding changes, brushing, nail and if necessary teeth trimming, exercise etc) Keep in mind that while some can be litter trained if they have a fair amount of space and time committed to the process, most rarely acheve that reliably and rabbit urine is pretty pungent

Their bones can easily break and cannot be reset so most fall injuries are fatal. It's extremely important only adults pick the animal up.

My daughter is into rabbits so we've always had them here, but I am not a center and contact with the daycare kids is limited to the occassional feeding of grass through their outdoor fence enclosure on occassion and short sessions where they can pet them one at a time. I largely rescue to avoid the adolescent nastiness, I have yet to end up with a biter because I seek out ones whose temperament is already well documented. It can be REALLY hit and miss with rabbits.

We adore ours, but a daycare center classroom seems like it would be a stretch based on their particular needs and tendencies (she's had a giant Rex, a Jersey Wooley, fostered for various mixed breeds and we currently have an American Fuzzy Lop).
thetoddlerwhisper 06:50 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Rabbits aren't usually the best fit for a classroom setting.

Although Lionheads are typically more even keeled than other breeds at the end of the day they are still rabbits and can easily become stressed by the sights and sounds of a group of children. When I say stressed I mean quite literally that they can tip over dead on the spot if the world around them becomes too much to cope with.

Add to that you said this one is young, and as they hit adolescence many go through a phase where they bite. Unneutered males will also often start marking then.

How big it gets will depend on it's breeding and how to care for it can be googled up (alfalfa pellets, fresh veg, small amounts of fruit, water, bedding changes, brushing, nail and if necessary teeth trimming, exercise etc) Keep in mind that while some can be litter trained if they have a fair amount of space and time committed to the process, most rarely acheve that reliably and rabbit urine is pretty pungent

Their bones can easily break and cannot be reset so most fall injuries are fatal. It's extremely important only adults pick the animal up.

My daughter is into rabbits so we've always had them here, but I am not a center and contact with the daycare kids is limited to the occassional feeding of grass through their outdoor fence enclosure on occassion and short sessions where they can pet them one at a time. I largely rescue to avoid the adolescent nastiness, I have yet to end up with a biter because I seek out ones whose temperament is already well documented. It can be REALLY hit and miss with rabbits.

We adore ours, but a daycare center classroom seems like it would be a stretch based on their particular needs and tendencies (she's had a giant Rex, a Jersey Wooley, fostered for various mixed breeds and we currently have an American Fuzzy Lop).
ugh this sounds worse and worse. with a group of young 2s it gets chaotic in here..........maybe in the quiet room?
Willow 07:01 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by athacker:
ugh this sounds worse and worse. with a group of young 2s it gets chaotic in here..........maybe in the quiet room?
I personally wouldnt keep it inside at all. Keeping up with the cleaning it would take to not stink up the facility could be pretty exhausting. The one we have now comes inside when it's really cold outside, and while it is partially litter trained and kept downstairs in my sons room during those times I still struggle with the smell on occassion....thats with changing litter and blankets daily (we don't use shavings in the house).

With 2's I'm not sure what they'd get out of the very limited interaction would be worth the amount of work it would create for you!

I'd be concerned why this lady wants to donate it too....why isnt she keeping it herself? And if she's a breeder why is she promoting the placement knowing how it's likely to turn out?

I won't list any specifically as I'm not sure it's allowed but if you google up "rabbit forums" there are loads of really great ones that can give you more insight as to why this isnt a good idea no matter which room you put it in
thetoddlerwhisper 07:04 AM 10-15-2013
awesome thanks. ill think ill decline him.
Willow 07:22 AM 10-15-2013
For more information I dug up this link: http://rabbit.org/faq-classroom-rabbits/

Don't get me wrong, I definitely get what you're after! I just think the reality will likely be more than you bargained for is all
Familycare71 07:28 AM 10-15-2013
Rabbits don't like to be held- few like to be pet. And yes- their pee stinks!!!
I would suggest gerbils (get a pair - they don't need to be held, are up during the day, are very active and fun to watch and their cage needs to be freshened once a week and cleaned every other week) or fish-
Cradle2crayons 07:39 AM 10-15-2013
I totally agree with willow here.

There are tons of great classroom pets for daycares but typically rabbits are NOT a good pick.

We've had them off and on for years and maintenance aside, they just wouldn't be worth it for that age group. If it were like older kids it may be a little better.

I'd definitely decline the ladies most generous offer.
thetoddlerwhisper 07:42 AM 10-15-2013
we have a beta but in Tennessee we are on the 3 star spectrum. i'm required to have at least 2 living things they'd like 3. i managed to get a plant that doesn't need much care(i'm awful with plants) and am looking for a 3rd. just thought the rabbit sounded good as a kid thing but def re-see that. got enough work without stinky pee. think i'm gonna look for gerbil or hamster breeder in this area. look at pet store and they're prices are outrageous
Willow 07:53 AM 10-15-2013
If you have any local shelters often times they'll foster out small animals to see if the placement would work well before you commit to taking them in full on. Think of it as a "test drive" for all so you can see if it'll work on all levels.

Their temperaments are usually assessed already so you know too ahead of time if the critter will be kiddo friendly and able to cope with the stress of group care.

If it doesn't work you're able to bring them back often times for little more than a small deposit.

If you're looking for something other than critters that'll add to your workload but are hardier than a houseplant consider a tree. Go to the park, find a sprout under a grown tree and transplant it. It's free, forgiving, there are some awesome lessons in nature within the activity you can recycle again and again within your curriculum and when it gets big enough you can simply plant it outside and start again.

Ant and butterfly farms are other good alternatives
Cradle2crayons 07:55 AM 10-15-2013
we have a beta but in Tennessee we are on the 3 star spectrum. i'm required to have at least 2 living things they'd like 3. i managed to get a plant that doesn't need much care(i'm awful with plants) and am looking for a 3rd. just thought the rabbit sounded good as a kid thing but def re-see that. got enough work without stinky pee. think i'm gonna look for gerbil or hamster breeder in this area. look at pet store and they're prices are outrageous
Lol ill ship you a friendly pet fancy mouse. We breed them, we even have some long hairs lol. Looks like they stuck their tail in the electrical socket lol!!

Hmmm probably not safe to ship lol.

We paid ten bucks each for mom and dad. And dang they are good producers lol.
Unregistered 07:55 AM 10-15-2013
I didn't know that some state require living things in a daycare. Very interesting. I don't think I could do that. I am afraid of rabbits, hamsters, gerbils exc. I love snakes but dc families and my husband wouldn't like that!

I love ferrets! IMO they are the best pet and very good with children! They are a bit stinky, then again I used to have 5 as a teenager
Cradle2crayons 08:01 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I didn't know that some state require living things in a daycare. Very interesting. I don't think I could do that. I am afraid of rabbits, hamsters, gerbils exc. I love snakes but dc families and my husband wouldn't like that!

I love ferrets! IMO they are the best pet and very good with children! They are a bit stinky, then again I used to have 5 as a teenager
We love ferrets too!!!!!!! Don't have any currently though...

We currently have::::
Cats (several lol)
Dogs (2)
Chickens (10)
Hermit crabs (3)
Hamster (1)
Rat (1)
Fancy mice (??)
Two snakes (ball pythons )
Two goldfish
Leanna 08:03 AM 10-15-2013
I agree that rabbits are not the best animals for a classroom pet.

Fish would be my first suggestion, but if you are looking for something cute and cuddly I would highly recommend a cavy (guinea pig). We've had several over the years and they are small enough to live in a (large) cage but like to be held, pet, and cuddled. They are VERY personable and will whistle when you are near. They do need lots of exercise and a good diet (pellets, timothy hay, AND fruits and veggies) but the kids love to feed them. Contrary to popular belief they cannot go in a hamster wheel or one of those balls you put a hamster in, but they are fun in many other ways (and are ADORABLE). We've gotten a few from our county guinea pig rescue and have never had one that bit, etc.

Oh, and you might like to get two because they are very social and love company.
Cradle2crayons 08:10 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I agree that rabbits are not the best animals for a classroom pet.

Fish would be my first suggestion, but if you are looking for something cute and cuddly I would highly recommend a cavy (guinea pig). We've had several over the years and they are small enough to live in a (large) cage but like to be held, pet, and cuddled. They are VERY personable and will whistle when you are near. They do need lots of exercise and a good diet (pellets, timothy hay, AND fruits and veggies) but the kids love to feed them. Contrary to popular belief they cannot go in a hamster wheel or one of those balls you put a hamster in, but they are fun in many other ways (and are ADORABLE). We've gotten a few from our county guinea pig rescue and have never had one that bit, etc.

Oh, and you might like to get two because they are very social and love company.
Guinea pigs are great. We used to have one named Moses because he looked old and wise lol. He was freaking HUGE though. I've never seen one that big since. Of course, maybe it's something in the water, we do have a 35 lb cat lol
thetoddlerwhisper 10:02 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

the only thing we cant have are turtles and some frogs. apparently turtles carry salmonella and some frogs do too. and refuse snakes lol idk where they stand on being allowed.
thetoddlerwhisper 10:04 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
We love ferrets too!!!!!!! Don't have any currently though...

We currently have::::
Cats (several lol)
Dogs (2)
Chickens (10)
Hermit crabs (3)
Hamster (1)
Rat (1)
Fancy mice (??)
Two snakes (ball pythons )
Two goldfish
i thought about hermit crabs but do want something more hands on and cuddly. i have a few kiddos with sensory problems that love our big fuzzy pillows and such. figure they'd enjoy a small animal
Maria2013 10:10 AM 10-15-2013
does anyone have/had a lionhead rabbit in their center? i have a lady who is donating a young one to our toddler room and not sure of anything about them. how big do they get? were they easy to care for? ok with your little ones?
I used to think bunnies in general were passive enough to make a great daycare pet well I changed my mind, I was given one that was great at first and then started to show territorial behavior, it got so bad we had to get rid of it
my friends laugh when I describe the growling and charging at us trying to bite, so I googled aggressive rabbits and sure enough mine wasn't the only one
... I'm not trying to discourage you but no way I'd take that chance
Cradle2crayons 10:15 AM 10-15-2013
i thought about hermit crabs but do want something more hands on and cuddly. i have a few kiddos with sensory problems that love our big fuzzy pillows and such. figure they'd enjoy a small animal
Our next pet is going to be one of those small miniature goats. Very cuddly. And friendly. Ad the kids can hand feed
thetoddlerwhisper 10:20 AM 10-15-2013
i wish i had room for something like that. did find out we can keep bugs. makes me wish i had preschool so clicking beetles or something would be cool to watch. we've talked about pets and 2yrb has a pet ghost at home(lol) maybe he can bring it to school and share it
Cradle2crayons 10:24 AM 10-15-2013
i wish i had room for something like that. did find out we can keep bugs. makes me wish i had preschool so clicking beetles or something would be cool to watch. we've talked about pets and 2yrb has a pet ghost at home(lol) maybe he can bring it to school and share it
Our favorite bug this summer was never before seen grasshoppers that hatch from the ground, climb a blade of grass by the hundreds, start out black with one orange stripe and after five molts, end up completely different with red wings and are 3 1/2 inches long lol.

They are called the eastern lubber. Supposed to be indigenous to here but I've lived here in these woods of is old Indian community for 38 years and had never seen one and neither had any of my elder family.
thetoddlerwhisper 10:27 AM 10-15-2013
that's pretty cool. my little guys would prob try to stop them. we had a praying mantis for an afternoon but that's about it on keeping a bug safe
Familycare71 10:33 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Our next pet is going to be one of those small miniature goats. Very cuddly. And friendly. Ad the kids can hand feed
I want one!!! But where I live they are considered a farm animal and we have to have 3-5 acres for farm animals to be allowed! I would also do a chicken coop if I could!
I have:
5 dogs
Lots of fish!
And am waiting on my two parakeets to be ready for pick up-
We have had so many diff pets- ball python, frogs, gecko, hedge hog, rabbit, hamsters (we had dwarf ones and one ended up prego and after the litter was older they all ate each other!- so none of those ever again!), hermit crabs, ferrets(will have one again but waiting until my dd is older to help with the massive clean up that comes with them!), rats and probably more

I know some will ew this but rats would be great! They aren't stinky, love to interact and are clean! Get two of the same sex- unless you want more! you can even teach them tricks- they up there on ideal pet list with dogs in my eyes! The only reason we don't have any is because my hubby is allergic - like cannot breath allergic.
Willow 11:03 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
I used to think bunnies in general were passive enough to make a great daycare pet well I changed my mind, I was given one that was great at first and then started to show territorial behavior, it got so bad we had to get rid of it
my friends laugh when I describe the growling and charging at us trying to bite, so I googled aggressive rabbits and sure enough mine wasn't the only one
... I'm not trying to discourage you but no way I'd take that chance

Your experience is far more common than you know!
Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up