Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Wearing Question
kitkat 08:37 AM 09-07-2011
Is there a soft carrier or wrap that you can carry a baby facing out? I have a homemade Moby, but I didn't think you could do a facing out carry. I know you can do a hip hold, but that won't cut it. I do have a Baby Bjorn, but it kills my back after a while. Any suggestions? Thanks!
KEG123 10:04 AM 09-07-2011
You can carry out in a moby. Not until 6 months or so though.
Meeko 10:08 AM 09-07-2011
I am afraid I find the whole "wearing" babies too weird for me as a day care provider. I get a parent wanting to have their baby close. Babies need held and comforted.....but not 24/7.

And what if you have more than one baby? One on each hip and one on the back? How do you go to the bathroom?!!!

If a parent wants their child carried every single second of the day, they need a a live-in nanny, not a group day care provider.

I couldn't take care of the other kids if I had a constant "appendage" all day. We dance, we sing, we color, we paint, we get messy.

And my back would put me in a wheelchair if I was carrying all day.
blessedmess8 10:09 AM 09-07-2011
http://blessedmesschronicles.blogspo...your-baby.html
KEG123 10:14 AM 09-07-2011

Same as facing in, but in the picture I'd probably bring the baby up higher.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...1/IMG_0347.jpg
kitkat 10:46 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:

That is such a cute picture! It totally made me laugh, but in a good way Thanks for the info.
kitkat 10:51 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I am afraid I find the whole "wearing" babies too weird for me as a day care provider. I get a parent wanting to have their baby close. Babies need held and comforted.....but not 24/7.

And what if you have more than one baby? One on each hip and one on the back? How do you go to the bathroom?!!!

If a parent wants their child carried every single second of the day, they need a a live-in nanny, not a group day care provider.

I couldn't take care of the other kids if I had a constant "appendage" all day. We dance, we sing, we color, we paint, we get messy.

And my back would put me in a wheelchair if I was carrying all day.
It's for my own DS so that I can "hold" him when he's fussy so I can tend to the others. He's not the easiest baby and this helps calm him. Honestly, he's the kid that most would term (I would have if he weren't my own ).
Meeko 10:51 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:

It looks cute and I would have loved to have one to carry my own kids in when they where babies. But how can you function as a day care provider. How can you pick up a crying two year old with baby in front of you?

How do you fix meals etc without unwrapping yards of fabric?

What if you're half wrapped and the doorbell goes?

What if several parents all want their baby carried all day?

What if two 4 year old boys were fighting each other and you needed to get in between them? Do you risk baby, or have to unwrap and put baby down first?

And then on a more personal level.......how would a woman with "ample bosom" carry a child comfortably?

If you can't see your feet, aren't you at more risk of tripping and falling with the baby in front of you? I trip over legos almost daily!

Sorry for so many questions! I just can't see it working for me in a day care situation.
kitkat 11:01 AM 09-07-2011
It looks cute and I would have loved to have one to carry my own kids in when they where babies. But how can you function as a day care provider. How can you pick up a crying two year old with baby in front of you?

How do you fix meals etc without unwrapping yards of fabric?

What if you're half wrapped and the doorbell goes?

What if several parents all want their baby carried all day?

What if two 4 year old boys were fighting each other and you needed to get in between them? Do you risk baby, or have to unwrap and put baby down first?

And then on a more personal level.......how would a woman with "ample bosom" carry a child comfortably?

If you can't see your feet, aren't you at more risk of tripping and falling with the baby in front of you? I trip over legos almost daily!

Sorry for so many questions! I just can't see it working for me in a day care situation.
I don't wear DS all day, but I can try to answer your questions. Someone else can chime in if I miss something.
- It's pretty quick to wrap up once you get the hang of it. It probably takes me only a few seconds longer to wrap than to put on my Baby Bjorn. Plus the wrap is easier to get a kid in (at least for my chubby DS).

-If you need to fix a meal or something, you can take the baby out without unwrapping. Sure, you might look kind of goofy being wrapped with no baby, but the kids aren't going to care.

-I can pick up DD, who is 3, even when DS is wrapped on me.

-If you are half wrapped and the doorbell goes...well, the doorbell waits.

-I don't have any other babies in my care right now. I wouldn't wear a baby all day, but I would if the baby is crabby and responds to that type of care. I'm sure others could offer a better answer.

- As far as "ample bossom"...well, I'm pretty far from ample, so I can't answer that one for you

-DS is 6mths and 20 lbs. I can wear him in a Moby without any back pain because of the way it wraps and provides support. I can only wear him for a short time in a Baby Bjorn because it offers so much less support.

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.
youretooloud 11:10 AM 09-07-2011
You can really only do it safely in a wrap, or sitting preschool style in a sling.

Once the baby is heavy, you really can't use a stretchy wrap. It's too hard on your back. A sling and a pouch are good for facing out, but can also be hard on your back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30805980@N08/3006800111/ I wouldn't do a front carry at this age, but it's a cute picture anyway.
Meeko 11:24 AM 09-07-2011
Thanks for the answers ladies! I've often heard about baby wearing and never really understood much about it. I was thinking that wearers had the baby attached ALL day!
youretooloud 11:33 AM 09-07-2011
Thanks for the answers ladies! I've often heard about baby wearing and never really understood much about it. I was thinking that wearers had the baby attached ALL day!
Naa.. not very long at all. It just allows you to carry a baby while still having your hands free.

As we speak, I have a HUGE toddler on my front in a front pack because she got hurt, and I want to observe her. She fell asleep. (not a good sign) But, I still need to cook lunch, so I can carry her while I cook.
MG&Lsmom 11:50 AM 09-07-2011
Why do you want to have him face forward? So he can see? If you have a sturdy wrap, not a stretchy, learn a back carry. Solves the "I want to see the world" aspect for most kiddos. Or you can you a buckle or mei tai carrier for back carries.

As for the ample bossom question. Yes, I'm a very large chested but very petite woman and I have comfortably worn kiddos in every carrier imaginable, except a Bjorn. Bjorn's kill my back. And they are evil crotch danglers. Very bad for baby's spine & hips. But that's another thread all together.
blessedmess8 12:09 PM 09-07-2011
Haha! No way! But, it sure is nice to unload the dishwasher and "rock" a baby to sleep at the same time. It actually frees you up to do other things!

I have a pretty ample bosom and it works just fine! Built in pillows or head rests! Haha!!!
ammama 12:13 PM 09-07-2011
The Beco butterfly lets you carry facing out, and it's a soft one. I do'nt have one, but i've heard good things about them.
youretooloud 12:18 PM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
Bjorn's kill my back. And they are evil crotch danglers. Very bad for baby's spine & hips. But that's another thread all together.

I've seen people hiking with those things! I always wonder "Do you NOT have the internet??"
blessedmess8 12:20 PM 09-07-2011
The homemade wrap is my favorite, by far and there are so many different ways you can wear it! I swear by mine!!! And SO cheap!
blessedmess8 12:21 PM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I've seen people hiking with those things! I always wonder "Do you NOT have the internet??"
I am cracking up right now! Ha!!!
youretooloud 12:32 PM 09-07-2011
http://www.becomingmamas.com/why-you...baby-carriers/ I like this little blog about crotch danglers.
blessedmess8 02:36 PM 09-07-2011
http://www.becomingmamas.com/why-you...baby-carriers/ I like this little blog about crotch danglers.
Very good read!
MG&Lsmom 05:40 AM 09-08-2011
Great! I love the explanation and demonstration of supported vs not supported knees.

To the OP, see if there's a local babywearing group in your area. They often have lending libraries of different carriers. Then you can try it all out, see what works, before making a purchase. A lot of carriers are spendy. Also, check out TheBabyWearer.com for more info on wearing, safe positioning, etc.
KEG123 07:07 AM 09-08-2011
Oh yeah and that picture is not me, but oddly enough it kinda looks like me.
Tags:baby carrier
Reply Up