Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A dilemma 1st 2 weeks of summer vacation
Josiegirl 10:56 AM 04-22-2015
I'm expecting 5 SA dcks this summer. But because one of my preschoolers need to stay until her mom is done for the summer, which is about 2 weeks later, I can't take them all right off. It wouldn't be a problem except the SA are 2 sets of sisters, and the other is a brother to my current dck. Financially for my business, it's better to let the preschooler go 2 weeks early but that would put the dcps in a bind for 2 weeks of care and I'd feel rotten doing that. Preschool girl will officially be done then because she starts K in the fall. I'm hoping some of the dcps of SAs can find someplace to temporarily bring their kids so I don't lose out for the rest of the summer.
WWYD??
Thriftylady 11:11 AM 04-22-2015
I would just start talking to parents. Maybe some of them have grandparents who can help a day or two here and there and it will get you through your week or so.
spinnymarie 11:24 AM 04-22-2015
Yes or summer camps that they might enjoy for those first two weeks? Or offer two vacation weeks?
momofsix 11:37 AM 04-22-2015
My priority has always been my ft school year kids-summer kids were an "add on". So my summer kids would always start about a week after school ended for the summer to give my teacher parents time to end the school year (meetings, clean classroom, grading etc). I also ended summer sa care about a week before school started-again bc my teachers needed their kids to start again as they had meetings/classroom prep...
My parents were fully aware of this from the get-go and it was up to them to figure out what to do during that time.
CraftyMom 01:59 PM 04-22-2015
I would have the SA kids wait to start.

If the preschooler has been with you for a while and they have been good clients I wouldn't push them out sooner.

I know financially it makes more sense, and some would say this is a business and you have to do what works best financially. But for me, unless the weeks would really break me financially I wouldn't push out a long standing current child to make way for a summer child.

Plus it's her last two weeks. 2 more weeks for you to spend with her before she's gone and off to kindergarten!

Unless she is the type of child where you are counting down to her last day...then take the SAers
heyhun77 05:46 PM 04-22-2015
Does your state have a waiver process? Here we can apply for a waiver of ratio for this type of situation and most likely they would approve it. Maybe check with your licenser to see if something is available like that.
Josiegirl 02:37 AM 04-23-2015
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
Does your state have a waiver process? Here we can apply for a waiver of ratio for this type of situation and most likely they would approve it. Maybe check with your licenser to see if something is available like that.
They do and I am applying but we can still only have up to 10. Those 2 weeks put me at 11. Turns out it might only be for a few days and I'm in touch with dcps to see if we can work anything out. I'm almost sure that 1 of them can find temporary care so I think(HOPE) it'll be okay.
Reply Up