Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Staying Patient
Josiegirl 04:12 AM 11-07-2018
It seems to be getting more challenging for me in my later years.
I make a huge effort to hold my temper, say things evenly so I'm not raising my voice but when they don't listen, when they're shrieking or yelling, ugh, it's just so dang difficult.
How do you handle keeping things on an even keel? It's so much different without the 4-5 yos here. They just do not listen or even acknowledge me unless I'm staring them down and they'll finally pay attention....sometimes.
Pestle 04:53 AM 11-07-2018
I do the same thing I did when I worked in an office. Back then, I had an imaginary boss leaning over my shoulder, checking to see if I a) was actually responding to every client immediately, and b) was responding appropriately.

These days, I have an imaginary daycare parent who came unannounced for early pickup, heard the chaos, walked across the yard, and is peering through the window to see WHAT THE SAM HILL IS GOING ON IN THERE.

Your mileage may vary; I've only been doing this for three years. But so far, it's working!

Also, oodles of herbal tea. Warm, soothing, doesn't cause caffeine jitters, and it's amazing how off you can be if you're fighting off an infection you don't know about, so stay super-hydrated.

When things get really tough, I break out my 10th Doctor tee shirt and pretend I'm David Tennant as an immortal space lord who finds every member of humanity a treat to interact with, no matter how mundane or selfish that person is.
Cat Herder 05:33 AM 11-07-2018
When I am getting frustrated and the natives are restless, I do a reset activity.

I stop what we are doing and set up something they love. Yes, it sounds like a reward, but it is not about them. It is about me being able to decompress.
It changes the entire mood of the day.
BrynleeJean 06:52 AM 11-07-2018
When i get frustrated be it because of the shrieking baby while I'm cooking lunch or constant tugging of my shirt by a two year old for my attention to something else I realize I'm getting upset because Id rather my focus be on that lunch or whatever else i was doing instead of that toddler, changing a diaper or something probably.
so instead I'm embrace every little scream or nag or time they act out as wake up call that i should just leave my house to pieces and play.
the easiest thing for me to do yet the hardest because my mind goes 100 mph and i have to work hard not to think about that food program or those dishes or that trash or those toys on the ground.

so long story short when when I'm frustrated or flustered lately for me at least its because I'm dividing my attention and if i can just focus myself on just playing with the kids for a while snuggling with that baby that frustration melts away.

i literally feel like i can feel my BP rising sometimes
Baby Beluga 07:42 AM 11-07-2018
My own stressors are coming from my own child ATM. He is not integrating into DC AT ALL and I fear it may be time to call it quits until he starts school. He screams, tantrums, all.day.long. When children are here, when they aren't here....it's constant and I CAN feel my blood pressure rise. I've actually had high-ish blood pressure the past few doctor visits I've had....nothing has changed, except DS' tantrums.

Anyway, when DCK's get like this, change up the activity as CH suggested.

Also, I found when I raised my voice, no one listened. But if I do the following, it works!

Me: If you can hear me, touch your nose. *wait*
Me: If you can hear me, touch your hair. *wait*
Me: If you can hear me, touch your toes. *wait*

As I am doing this I am gradually lowering my voice until it is just a whisper and everyone is following along. It usually only takes 2-3 "if you can hear me" for the room to be silent. Once silent I give the class instructions and we move along.
Rockgirl 12:17 PM 11-07-2018
I’ve been grabbing a stack of books, and without saying a word, sit on the floor and start reading aloud. In no time, they’re all there listening. After a book or two, we reset and regroup.
Gemma 01:23 PM 11-07-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I’ve been grabbing a stack of books, and without saying a word, sit on the floor and start reading aloud. In no time, they’re all there listening. After a book or two, we reset and regroup.

Josiegirl 02:28 PM 11-07-2018
All such great ideas!!! Thank you very much!

First thing I thought when I read your post Baby Beluga, was instead of asking them to touch their nose, I tell them they could get a chocolate chip. Lol I bet they'd all hear me then. Selective hearing is such a real thing.
LittleExplorers 07:01 AM 11-08-2018
Sometimes I turn on music or cosmic yoga. The kids love it and we rarely turn on the tv so instantly they all look plus I get to do yoga with them. Exercise is my stress relief so sometimes we do kids songs on YouTube and dance away.
Homebody 08:24 AM 11-08-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Sometimes I turn on music or cosmic yoga. The kids love it and we rarely turn on the tv so instantly they all look plus I get to do yoga with them. Exercise is my stress relief so sometimes we do kids songs on YouTube and dance away.
I just got done doing cosmic yoga with the kiddos. We try to do it at least once a week - they love it! It's perfect for days like today when it's too cold to go outside. Now they are dancing to Dave and Ava music on YouTube. We don't do TV often either, so it is something they really appreciate when they get to.
Flowerchild 08:35 AM 11-08-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It seems to be getting more challenging for me in my later years.
I make a huge effort to hold my temper, say things evenly so I'm not raising my voice but when they don't listen, when they're shrieking or yelling, ugh, it's just so dang difficult.
How do you handle keeping things on an even keel? It's so much different without the 4-5 yos here. They just do not listen or even acknowledge me unless I'm staring them down and they'll finally pay attention....sometimes.
This is my issue today. Stuck I preschool when they don't listen. The preschool teacher had to talk to get them to listen but when I asked them to clean up for the 100th time...... I had to scream. What set me off was one girl looked at me and then looked away blatantly not doing what I said for them all to do. I'm high strung so maybe that's my problem. I hate it I there but I'm stuck today 😕😦
Ariana 09:26 AM 11-08-2018
When I was at a centre you could not lose your temper for obvious reasons. So I came up with a strategy to hum or sing out loud when I was about to lose it. My go to song is whistle while you work, or a spoon full of sugar. It still helps! It makes me look absolutely psychotic but whatever the kids always stop and look.

I also find playing spa like music helps calm the whole room.
Ariana 09:28 AM 11-08-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I do this too!
Flowerchild 10:37 AM 11-08-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
When I was at a centre you could not lose your temper for obvious reasons. So I came up with a strategy to hum or sing out loud when I was about to lose it. My go to song is whistle while you work, or a spoon full of sugar. It still helps! It makes me look absolutely psychotic but whatever the kids always stop and look.

I also find playing spa like music helps calm the whole room.
I used to do the spa music in the baby room 😊 I like to listen to old Miley Cyrus in preschool but today the CD player wouldn't work. Ugh 😅
LittleExplorers 11:12 AM 11-08-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
I just got done doing cosmic yoga with the kiddos. We try to do it at least once a week - they love it! It's perfect for days like today when it's too cold to go outside. Now they are dancing to Dave and Ava music on YouTube. We don't do TV often either, so it is something they really appreciate when they get to.

I will have to look up Dave and Ava. We like our dance parties on rainy and below 0 days.
Flowerchild 02:03 PM 11-08-2018
Any tips on getting kids to listen or clean up? It's been a struggle past two days. I'm willing to learn better phrases and ways 😊
Tags:redirection
Reply Up