Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How the heck did that happen?
TXhomedaycare 07:18 AM 10-09-2015
I have a dcb age 2 that had green mucus coming from his nose and eyes last week. His mom was not concerned but I told her I was and that he needs to see a doctor. She came this week Monday and said he was in the emergency room last night with an ear infection and that he has been miserable. The first thing I thought was, why the hell would you bring him here less than 24 hours of being in the emergency room but I didn't want to judge her and I know ear infections are not contagious. She said he is taking antibiotics and she requested I give him Tylenol before his nap. This entire week dcb has been having very large bowel movements from front to back of his diaper at least twice a day. I have had to change his pants everytime due to blow outs (he usually poops only a few times a week here). I assumed this was caused by the antibiotics. Well I changed dcb yesterday at 12:55 before nape and at 3:10 after he woke up. When I opened his diaper yesterday he had once again pooped front to back and it was everywhere. Please keep in mind for some reason I cannot smell his poop this whole week because for some reason it does not have a smell (I have a very sensitive nose and catch everything usually and I cold always smell him before). Dcb had the worst rash ever from the front to the back. I felt terrible because he was in pain. I have no clue how he could all the sudden have such a terrible rash. I change him every 2 hours along with my son so I know it is not due to neglect. He fell asleep at 1:15 so unless he pooped before he went to sleep after I had changed him and I could not smell it I have no good way to explain this to his mom. Could all this pooping and taking antibiotics cause this? Everytime I tell his mom about him being sick or the bowel movements like this week she always says it never happens at home which is what she told me yesterday. She was not worried yesterday but she hadn't seen it yet. This morning she wasn't happy about it and I totally understand but I still have no clue how the heck it heppened. Any insight???
Heidi 07:28 AM 10-09-2015
Actually, I've had that happen numerous times.

I had a LO last year who never had stinky poops. I felt really bad about it; she was a red head with very sensitive skin, to boot. Until one day GMA complained about it...whew!

I think it is the antibiotics in your case. Very common..the diahrrea and rash. It happens. Don't apologize. You know you didn't ignore a dirty diaper willfully.
Thriftylady 07:30 AM 10-09-2015
I agree the antibiotics could have caused both. I wouldn't feel like it was your fault. It happened, you know about it and are trying to help him feel better. That is the important part.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:33 AM 10-09-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I have a dcb age 2 that had green mucus coming from his nose and eyes last week. His mom was not concerned but I told her I was and that he needs to see a doctor. She came this week Monday and said he was in the emergency room last night with an ear infection and that he has been miserable. The first thing I thought was, why the hell would you bring him here less than 24 hours of being in the emergency room but I didn't want to judge her and I know ear infections are not contagious. She said he is taking antibiotics and she requested I give him Tylenol before his nap. This entire week dcb has been having very large bowel movements from front to back of his diaper at least twice a day. I have had to change his pants everytime due to blow outs (he usually poops only a few times a week here). I assumed this was caused by the antibiotics. Well I changed dcb yesterday at 12:55 before nape and at 3:10 after he woke up. When I opened his diaper yesterday he had once again pooped front to back and it was everywhere. Please keep in mind for some reason I cannot smell his poop this whole week because for some reason it does not have a smell (I have a very sensitive nose and catch everything usually and I cold always smell him before). Dcb had the worst rash ever from the front to the back. I felt terrible because he was in pain. I have no clue how he could all the sudden have such a terrible rash. I change him every 2 hours along with my son so I know it is not due to neglect. He fell asleep at 1:15 so unless he pooped before he went to sleep after I had changed him and I could not smell it I have no good way to explain this to his mom. Could all this pooping and taking antibiotics cause this? Everytime I tell his mom about him being sick or the bowel movements like this week she always says it never happens at home which is what she told me yesterday. She was not worried yesterday but she hadn't seen it yet. This morning she wasn't happy about it and I totally understand but I still have no clue how the heck it heppened. Any insight???
Antibiotics can really mess up your gut flora, so taking a probiotic with them can help with that. It was not your fault and dcm should not be upset with you. She brought her baby after he had to go to the ER (who cares if it was "just" an ear infection), she left him even though he obviously has diarrhea from the drugs, and she put it on you to take care of him wile he gets over his sickness. Personally, I would follow Blackcats rules and exclude for symptoms. Diarrhea is a symptom and you should not be dealing with that.
NeedaVaca 07:40 AM 10-09-2015
Antibiotics can also cause yeast infection so if the rash isn't clearing up keep that in mind. I usually give lots of yogurt when they are on antibiotics.
TXhomedaycare 07:42 AM 10-09-2015
You guys have no clue how terrible I felt yesterday and how nice it is to know I am not the only one who has had to deal with this. He does have sensitive skin and his mom brings bags of cream and lotions and sprays for him all the time. After I changed him I hugged him and told him I was sorry but I knew I did everything right. I do wish I had told her to keep him home Monday at least so she could experience what's I have dealt with all week (I am sure she would still act like it never happened to her). Love the support on this forum
Josiegirl 09:26 AM 10-09-2015
I have missed poops before by not smelling anything funky. And for some reason they wait til they have a clean diaper to use for pooping so they may sit in it for an hour or so. I've had it happen too. Ya always feel bad about it(I do too) but it does happen. And yes, I'm sure the drugs and sickness isn't helping the situation. Just keep slathering on the rash cream and TGIF.
littletots 10:15 AM 10-09-2015
Antibiotics almost always cause diaper rash. I expect it. Surprised her dr didn't warn her. New mom, she'll learn.
Preschool/daycare teacher 11:34 AM 10-09-2015
Don't feel like you did anything wrong. I had a little boy in my care at a daycare I used to work out and he'd poop and get a horrible rash from it. His skin was really sensitive and his parents had the same thing happen to them if they didn't catch the dirty diaper immediately, so we had to just constantly be checking him. If it happened during nap he'd have the horrible rash by the time he woke up. We finally figured out that foods must be contributing to it, depending on which foods he'd eaten and how much of that food, as well as certain diapers and wipes (they had to start buying him diapers for sensitive skin, and wipes for sensitive skin that cost a little more, and we were not allowed to use the wipes on anyone else because of the extra cost). Dcm told us one day that he had a really bad rash that morning when they got him up, and that he'd had a LOT of banana the night before, which is what they think may have caused the rash to be so bad. It was so bad he had places where it bled
Reply Up