Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare, Winter, And Toddlers
Unregistered 06:32 AM 09-27-2011
This is my first year of childcare in a snowy location. I have a handful of toddlers who LOVE their outside time right now. What do you do with your toddlers when it snows? What sort of winter outside toys are good (if any) for this age group? Any winter weather advice would be great
Solandia 06:48 AM 09-27-2011
I just let them play with buckets & cups... pretty much the same toys we use outside in the summer, sand & water toys (minus the sand and water, LOL). I clear off the patio & the go on the ride on toys. We have several sleds that they pull/push each other around in.

The really fair skinned/sensitive skinned kids, I will put vaseline on their cheeks or they get red & chapped in a matter of minutes.
gelbesonn 08:06 PM 09-28-2011
This was me last year (and this year). We got so much snow here that I spent all the time picking up falling toddlers. I finally figured out that if I move my car halfway down my driveway, the house and snowbank provided great containment and we spent our outside time playing in the driveway. I put DH's extension ladder up against my car to block the kids from going to into the street. Kids could draw on the driveway, and play with the trikes, balls and other things I have for the backyard.
kitkat 08:20 PM 09-28-2011
DH took the snowblower and blew paths in the snow for the kids to walk on. The front yard looked like a crazy person had control of the snowblower, but the kids LOVED it! The toddlers stayed on the path and the big kids could go anywhere, but they loved that they could run and chase.
Zoe 05:02 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by kitkat:
DH took the snowblower and blew paths in the snow for the kids to walk on. The front yard looked like a crazy person had control of the snowblower, but the kids LOVED it! The toddlers stayed on the path and the big kids could go anywhere, but they loved that they could run and chase.
This is what I do too. But it's also for our Pomeranian We had, I'm NOT kidding, 22 inches of snow fall in one weekend last winter and paths were necessary if any of us wanted to go outside.

I like the clear the deck idea for ride on toys. I'm going to do that this winter!
melskids 05:27 AM 09-29-2011
we get 4 or 5 feet of snow each winter, so we snowblow paths around the yard as well. my hubby makes HUGE snowpiles when he plows, and we play in the plowed driveway as well. we're pretty rural, and its a long drive, so i dont have to worry about traffic, or the kids going into the road. i just put up a few traffic cones and they know not to go past them.

i can tell you a pretty embarrassing story though....lol

one year we got ice on top of 5 feet of snow, so the kids could actually walk ON TOP on the snow wherever they wanted. well, i had a two year old go to far out, (i have a pretty big yard) and of course, refused to come back when it was time to come in. so i had to go after him. well, my big butt only made it halfway there, and i fell through. i was up to my armpits, and i couldnt muscle myself out right away, and just at that precise minute, a DC dad pulled in. i was motified! he sure had a good chuckle....

needless to say, they are not allowed to do that anymore. they have to stay where paths have been made!!! LOL
Auntie 07:30 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Love the path idea for the littles.
caligirl 10:00 AM 09-29-2011
Good luck with that! I don't have to worry about that white stuff on the ground here in San Diego!
e.j. 11:19 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
one year we got ice on top of 5 feet of snow, so the kids could actually walk ON TOP on the snow wherever they wanted. well, i had a two year old go to far out, (i have a pretty big yard) and of course, refused to come back when it was time to come in. so i had to go after him. well, my big butt only made it halfway there, and i fell through. i was up to my armpits, and i couldnt muscle myself out right away, and just at that precise minute, a DC dad pulled in. i was motified! he sure had a good chuckle....
OMG! I'm dying just picturing this!

Between this story and the thread about the weird things we find ourselves saying to the dc kids, I'm laughing so hard, it's a wonder the kids haven't woken up from their naps!
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by caligirl:
Good luck with that! I don't have to worry about that white stuff on the ground here in San Diego!
I used to ONLY want to live where it was nice and warm and never snowed but now as I am so grateful that I live in an area where we truly get to experience all four seasons in postcard picture style. Now, I wouldn't give up any of the season for nothing! Each has their own pros and cons.

I must be a truly Northern MN gal, because when I read your post my first response was sadness. You dont have to worry about the white stuff on the ground but you also miss the fun kids can have playing in the snow, making snow forts, sledding, winter bonfires, having snowball fights, building a snowman, making snow angels, ski-ing, licking icicles, making tunnels, driving on the lakes where you swam in the summer, ice fishing, ice skating, catching snowflakes on your tongue and the wonderfully warm and cozy sensation of coming in aftter playing for a few hours in the wintery white wonderland and enjoying a cup of hot cocoa.

Can you tell I am so ready for winter time?
nannyde 12:25 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I used to ONLY want to live where it was nice and warm and never snowed but now as I am so grateful that I live in an area where we truly get to experience all four seasons in postcard picture style. Now, I wouldn't give up any of the season for nothing! Each has their own pros and cons.

I must be a truly Northern MN gal, because when I read your post my first response was sadness. You dont have to worry about the white stuff on the ground but you also miss the fun kids can have playing in the snow, making snow forts, sledding, winter bonfires, having snowball fights, building a snowman, making snow angels, ski-ing, licking icicles, making tunnels, driving on the lakes where you swam in the summer, ice fishing, ice skating, catching snowflakes on your tongue and the wonderfully warm and cozy sensation of coming in aftter playing for a few hours in the wintery white wonderland and enjoying a cup of hot cocoa.

Can you tell I am so ready for winter time?
Don't forget moose hunting.

I'm just sayin
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Don't forget moose hunting.

I'm just sayin

Talks with the MN DNR say that 2013 will be the last year moose hunting will be allowed. The moose population in MN has dwindled from almost 10,000 to just under 5,000 in the last few years and no one is quite sure why. They are thinking there may be some sort of parasite that is killing them off (similar to mad cow disease).

The last few years they have done moose hunting permits by lottery and of the thousands of hunters applying to for a permit only 105 are given out.

Getting moose meat from MN may just be darn near impossible pretty soon.
Tags:outside temp, winter
Reply Up