Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Tell or Not to Tell
playdate4 09:50 AM 10-22-2013
How do you handle an infant rolling over for the first time, first time walking,first words etc..... Do you tell the DCP or not?
NeedaVaca 09:51 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by jbshell:
How do you handle an infant rolling over for the first time, first time walking,first words etc..... Do you tell the DCP or not?
Nope, never tell
slorey 09:54 AM 10-22-2013
I do not tell. Parents miss so many things in their children's lives by having to work, I hate taking that away from them. When they tell me it happened at home, I usually respond about how I could tell they were almost ready, but never tell them it happened here first. Now, if it was a child with delays and those were very important milestones needed to be watching for I would tell, but that is a different situation. Let the parents have their moment. It doesn't matter if the dates in the baby book are a few days off
BumbleBee 09:55 AM 10-22-2013
Nope-firsts never happen here, ever.
playdate4 10:01 AM 10-22-2013
Thanks for the responses... I asked DCP and they do not want to know so I was curious what ever one else did..
Lucy 10:57 AM 10-22-2013
Never tell. And act all happy and impressed when THEY tell YOU that it happened at home.
My3cents 11:10 AM 10-22-2013
I ask the parent straight out if they want to know milestones that happen at daycare or if they want to experience them at home for themselves. Most of the parents want to know even if they didn't witness it first. I always tell them I want to know if they do something new at home too.
Kaddidle Care 11:12 AM 10-22-2013
The only thing I would worry about is the safety of the child. Perhaps drop a hint that at this age they... or said child is showing signs of readiness...

Just so they don't get too comfortable leaving baby on the bed or couch and baby can roll off. YKWIM?
melilley 11:15 AM 10-22-2013
I never tell unless they want me to. I always say "B. is so close to ____! Has he done it at home yet?"
nannyde 11:42 AM 10-22-2013
Absolutely tell when an infant can roll. The back to belly roll can cause a baby to suffocate if they do not have head lift and side to side head movement. The first three days they can roll from back to belly I put a camera on them at nap and frequently frequently go switch them to back.

The belly to back and back to belly can end up with them falling off a high surface if the parents aren't aware they can do it.

Any other first I keep to myself unless I think the child can be hurt if the parents don't know they have the skill.
playdate4 11:43 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
The only thing I would worry about is the safety of the child. Perhaps drop a hint that at this age they... or said child is showing signs of readiness...

Just so they don't get too comfortable leaving baby on the bed or couch and baby can roll off. YKWIM?
Never thought of this.....
dbslas 06:43 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:

This exactly We always ask at interview if they want to know milestones, but if it is a safety issue, we tell them..or hint to the extreme that they may want not leave baby on sofa, bed, etc., because we have noticed baby becoming more active. So far so good
Familycare71 06:53 PM 10-22-2013
I don't ask- and I don't tell -
I don't ask the parents because I don't want them to wonder...
I do alert to readiness- so I would say: wow! Suzie was so close to rolling over today!! Guess we will all be extra cautious where we lay her!
Cradle2crayons 10:19 PM 10-22-2013
I tell. And attempt to get everything on video or caught in camera lol.
JenNJ 05:28 AM 10-23-2013
I tell about rolling right away for thr reasons Nannyde mentioned.
Reply Up