Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Concerned Parent. Is Strapping A Child Into A Booster Seat Acceptable As Discipline??
Unregistered 02:30 PM 12-05-2014
Hello,
I am looking for opinions of care providers and other parents here. Here's the situation. My daughter is 3 and has been going to the same in home daycare over two years. Up until about 5 months ago all has been well for the most part. But for the past several months I have run into some things that have started making me feel uncomfortable and things seem to be getting worse. It started with my daughter telling me out of the blue that she was afraid of her provider. When I asked her why she said because she yells at me. At first I just thought okay maybe my daughter is being sensitive or provider just had a bad day. But my daughter continued over the next few week to tell me she was afraid and tell me about different situations where she was being yelled at. I took my daughter out for a week and talked to provider. When I talked to her she blamed the yelling on my daughters behavior and said that was the only way she could get her to listen. We hashed things out and when the week was over my daughter went back. I didn't hear anymore about yelling. Well now this week the provider told my husband that she is having to double baracade the door to the room my daughter naps in because she will not stay on bed. This made me really uncomfortable but before I could address this with her the next day she tells my husband that she had to start strapping my daughter into a booster seat as punishment because she wouldn't sit at the table. She also said this is how she is disciplining all the children now. When I spoke to my daughter she told me that she and the others get strapped into the chair when they do not listen. This where I really need an opinion. I have already decided that my daughter will not go back. But is this an acceptable form of discipline? I am very upset about it. I care very much about the provider and feel like maybe she has taken on more than she can handle or is getting burnt out. I would like to talk to her about it but I am not sure if a conversation needs to be had. I would appreciate any insight given.
Josiegirl 02:37 PM 12-05-2014
Take her out! The barricading the door alone presents a fire hazard and strapping everybody in as a form of discipline??? What is that teaching the children, how is that guiding them to make better choices about their behavior?
Completely unacceptable discipline policies and I'll bet they're against any licensing regulations too.
AuntTami 02:43 PM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Take her out! The barricading the door alone presents a fire hazard and strapping everybody in as a form of discipline??? What is that teaching the children, how is that guiding them to make better choices about their behavior?
Completely unacceptable discipline policies and I'll bet they're against any licensing regulations too.
I believe That is against the regulations as well. The booster is being used as a form of restraining the child and that's a no no.

I wouldn't send my child back, regardless of her possible reasons. Those are potentially very dangerous situations. What if one of the chairs tipped over while a child was having a temper tantrum in it and she smacked her head on the floor or something? And the double barricaiding the door is a major fire hazard IMHO
midaycare 02:52 PM 12-05-2014
Take your child out today. I agree with PP's.
Thriftylady 02:55 PM 12-05-2014
I agree don't take your child back, and I would make a complaint to licensing. Restraint is not normally considered acceptable as a form of punishment. Buckling them in at mealtime so they don't fall out is one thing, but to do it as a "time out" is a whole different matter. It sounds to me like this provider needs a break, because it sounds like she is feeling overwhelmed. Even if that is the case, it should not be taken out on the kids.
Blackcat31 03:10 PM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello,
I am looking for opinions of care providers and other parents here. Here's the situation. My daughter is 3 and has been going to the same in home daycare over two years. Up until about 5 months ago all has been well for the most part. But for the past several months I have run into some things that have started making me feel uncomfortable and things seem to be getting worse. It started with my daughter telling me out of the blue that she was afraid of her provider. When I asked her why she said because she yells at me. At first I just thought okay maybe my daughter is being sensitive or provider just had a bad day. But my daughter continued over the next few week to tell me she was afraid and tell me about different situations where she was being yelled at. I took my daughter out for a week and talked to provider. When I talked to her she blamed the yelling on my daughters behavior and said that was the only way she could get her to listen. We hashed things out and when the week was over my daughter went back. I didn't hear anymore about yelling. Well now this week the provider told my husband that she is having to double baracade the door to the room my daughter naps in because she will not stay on bed. This made me really uncomfortable but before I could address this with her the next day she tells my husband that she had to start strapping my daughter into a booster seat as punishment because she wouldn't sit at the table. She also said this is how she is disciplining all the children now. When I spoke to my daughter she told me that she and the others get strapped into the chair when they do not listen. This where I really need an opinion. I have already decided that my daughter will not go back. But is this an acceptable form of discipline? I am very upset about it. I care very much about the provider and feel like maybe she has taken on more than she can handle or is getting burnt out. I would like to talk to her about it but I am not sure if a conversation needs to be had. I would appreciate any insight given.
What state are you in?
What type of behaviors is the provider stating is the issue?
What exactly is your daughter doing that warrants the provider going to such extremes?

DO NOT bring your child back to that provider!

Call the licensing agency in your community and report exactly what you have posted here.

NONE of what the provider is doing is legal or acceptable!

NOTHING your daughter does at daycare would make it okay for the provider to barricade the door or physically restrain your child in a booster seat!

JenNJ 03:24 PM 12-05-2014
Never take her back there. Have any conversation you choose with her but she needs to be reported ASAP. These aren't unfounded accusations, the provider admitted these things to your husband. Please aeet the other parents as well if you can contact them.
sahm1225 04:54 PM 12-05-2014
The double barricading door is not acceptable. The strapping them in - could she mean she straps them in during meals when they are not staying in their chairs? I didn't take read it as she's strapping them in mid tantrum, more like the boosters are used when not listening. When my 2-3 year olds are not sitting still during meals sometimes I do switch them to the boosters. It's not intended as a punishment, I just want them to focus on eating
Unregistered 06:20 PM 12-05-2014
The booster is being used outside of meal time.
We are in Texas.
She is using the booster seat as time out.
Unregistered 04:38 PM 12-07-2014
Thank you everyone for the advice and opinions. I really appreciate it. My daughter will not be going back and I plan on sharing this post with the provider when I have a conversation with her.
originalkat 07:04 PM 12-07-2014
No, no, no.
This provider obviously has not control over the behavior of the children if she is strapping them down and blocking doors! Not acceptable. Do not go back.
daycarediva 09:40 AM 12-08-2014
REMOVE HER IMMEDIATELY. As in, go pick her up NOW.

Call your local licensing agency, if not licensed, call CPS. She sounds burnt out, and if this is what she is ADMITTING.....imagine what she is not.

These are not developmentally appropriate discipline methods, and I would venture that in most states these practices would be against regulation as well.

Redirection, time out--NOT RESTRAINED, even if you have to put them back 25672672 times.
Tags:booster seat, disipline not, punishment
Reply Up