Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Licenses, 1 Home
yodaone 05:15 PM 05-09-2016
Here's the scoop:

My plan was to grow my in-home daycare from 6 children to 12 children. My states has a different license based on a large daycare or a small daycare.

Apparently the township I live in has just recently decided that they will no longer allow in-home daycares to be licensed to have 12 children because it's considered a business and they don't allow business in homes. I was DEVASTATED to find this out. Our home is perfect for a large daycare. We have a completely different entrance for the daycare. Separate rooms in our home for the daycare. A circle driveway with 2 parking spaces just for daycare. A 1 acre fenced in yard, etc.

So my hubby came up with this idea.

What if we had 2 licenses for our home. One license under my name and another license under his name. That would then allow for a 12 child daycare. Of course, then hubby would stay home and work the daycare with me.

Do you think that would be allowed and a way for us to have the large daycare??? Or is this just a crazy idea that would probably never fly in the world of licensed daycares.
Thriftylady 05:26 PM 05-09-2016
I am guessing licensing wouldn't allow it. But I would talk to a lawyer. I am not sure a township can prevent you from having a business in your home. And.... Even a small home daycare is a business.
heyhun77 05:45 PM 05-09-2016
I would bet that your licensing laws include a provision that says something to the effect of one license per address. That said, municipalities can set limits beyond what the state licensing allows. For instance, in our city limits the zoning laws limit home childcares to 12 plus the owners own children. The state allows a maximum of 30 on that group license but we can still only have 12 plus our own. That said, you could always ask your zoning commission (or whatever office oversees the use of property) to see if there is a variance process set up so you could apply for the right to have the larger capacity in your home. Whether they allow for it or not is another story.
Blackcat31 06:13 PM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by yodaone:
Here's the scoop:

My plan was to grow my in-home daycare from 6 children to 12 children. My states has a different license based on a large daycare or a small daycare.

Apparently the township I live in has just recently decided that they will no longer allow in-home daycares to be licensed to have 12 children because it's considered a business and they don't allow business in homes. I was DEVASTATED to find this out. Our home is perfect for a large daycare. We have a completely different entrance for the daycare. Separate rooms in our home for the daycare. A circle driveway with 2 parking spaces just for daycare. A 1 acre fenced in yard, etc.

So my hubby came up with this idea.

What if we had 2 licenses for our home. One license under my name and another license under his name. That would then allow for a 12 child daycare. Of course, then hubby would stay home and work the daycare with me.

Do you think that would be allowed and a way for us to have the large daycare??? Or is this just a crazy idea that would probably never fly in the world of licensed daycares.

"4. A license is issued to a specific person at a specific address. If you plan to move, contact licensing prior to the move so that you can apply for a license at your new address. If you move to a new address and do not contact this office, your license is no longer valid at the new address."

You live in the same house so you would just be co-licensed for the same address.
yodaone 06:42 PM 05-09-2016
I was really hoping there was a way around this. Can I have a profitable business when I'm restricted to just 6 kids???
lovemydaycare0912 06:58 PM 05-09-2016
I was really hoping there was a way around this. Can I have a profitable business when I'm restricted to just 6 kids???
I have 6 kids and it's good money in my location. However, I want to also expand. Depends on what you spend I would assume.
yodaone 07:07 PM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
I have 6 kids and it's good money in my location. However, I want to also expand. Depends on what you spend I would assume.
You bring a valid point! With more kiddos comes more expenses.
Leigh 09:26 PM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am guessing licensing wouldn't allow it. But I would talk to a lawyer. I am not sure a township can prevent you from having a business in your home. And.... Even a small home daycare is a business.

My city has daycare rules that, according to the state, are unenforceable and the state flat out tells us that following the city's ordinances are voluntary because they aren't legal. I'd definitely speak to a lawyer or at least state licensing for more info.
DaveA 04:41 AM 05-10-2016
Call your local zoning about how you get a variance. Not only will you get the process explained, you might be able to get an idea on how likely getting one is. Also talk to a local lawyer about the ordinances. I would talk to your rep, but take whatever they say with a grain of salt till you talk to the lawyer. Some reps think that because they're from the state it supersedes local ordinances, but that's not always the case.
Cat Herder 07:03 AM 05-10-2016
Can I have a profitable business when I'm restricted to just 6 kids???
I have been limited to 6 kids since the mid 90's. I am profitable.

Think niche, my friend.

Many, many providers have come up with your idea. Many have tried. It will get your license pulled permanently and can land you in jail. Don't risk it.
yodaone 09:41 AM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have been limited to 6 kids since the mid 90's. I am profitable.

Think niche, my friend.

Many, many providers have come up with your idea. Many have tried. It will get your license pulled permanently and can land you in jail. Don't risk it.
No way will I try to do this if it's something that could cause me to lose my license or go to jail! That's why I came here to ask you lovely ladies to see if anyone has done this.

I will talk with a lawyer and see what my options are! I'm thinking a variance might be my best bet.
nannyde 10:07 AM 05-10-2016
No way will I try to do this if it's something that could cause me to lose my license or go to jail! That's why I came here to ask you lovely ladies to see if anyone has done this.

I will talk with a lawyer and see what my options are! I'm thinking a variance might be my best bet.
Duplex
Cat Herder 10:09 AM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Duplex
I see what you did there.
lovemydaycare0912 10:12 AM 05-10-2016
Or a multifamily home. 1 home daycare down stairs. 1 upstairs.
Blackcat31 10:19 AM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Duplex
We have a provider here that does this.

She owns the duplex and provides care on one side while renting out the other side to another provider who runs a separate child care. Each are licensed individually.

Neither provider actually live at the duplex.
Heidi 11:30 AM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I see what you did there.
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Or a multifamily home. 1 home daycare down stairs. 1 upstairs.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

She owns the duplex and provides care on one side while renting out the other side to another provider who runs a separate child care. Each are licensed individually.

Not allowed in WI...
284878 11:34 AM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I am thinking it might be awkward to term a family, and then start attending next door.
rosieteddy 11:17 AM 05-11-2016
In most states you would need separate quarters.Also you both could not be outside at the same time.I made quite enough money with 6 children especially when my husband worked his job to. Price your tuition to make a fair amount.
284878 04:42 AM 05-12-2016
Ask Tom about it. Here is his recent blog post about a simlier subject. http://tomcopelandblog.com/may-paren...oll-tax-issues
Tags:license, ratio - large group, ratio - over limit
Reply Up