Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Heart Breaks For This Provider And The Baby's Family
Unregistered 03:31 PM 10-07-2011
SIDS is such a horrible thing. This provider must be broken hearted as well as her family. I don't know how providers recover from this.

http://www.ketv.com/news/29418803/detail.html

Day Care Provider Accused In Infant's Death

Teresa Chapin Faces Child Endangerment Charge

POSTED: 12:30 pm CDT October 7, 2011
UPDATED: 1:56 pm CDT October 7, 2011

Email Print

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa -- A 37-year-old day care provider is accused in the death of an infant.
The Pottawattamie County sheriff said Teresa Chapin, of Council Bluffs, was arrested on suspicion of child endangerment and neglect of a dependent person.
Click Like For Nebraska & Iowa News Updates:
On Aug. 17, authorities responded to a call about a 5-month-old boy who was not breathing. The boy was taken to the hospital, where he died about an hour later.
Investigators learned that the boy was put down for a nap in an adult bed at 2:30 p.m. after he had been fed. The sheriff's office said Chapin's daughter checked on the boy at 3:20 p.m. but did not verify that he was breathing.
It wasn't until 4 p.m. that the boy was found face down and unresponsive, authorities said. That's when Chapin began CPR and called 911, the sheriff's office said.
The autopsy report listed the manner of death as undetermined, but the cause was recorded as sudden unexplained infant death.
The sheriff's office said evidence shows Chapin displayed a level of negligence that contributed to the death of the boy.
Authorities said Chapin -- a licensed day care provider in the state of Iowa -- should have been aware of the hazards of excessive bedding for an infant.
Previous Stories:
August 18, 2011: Infant Dies After Being Found Unresponsive
Copyright 2011 by KETV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/29418803/de...#ixzz1a8blsKfB
cheerfuldom 04:21 PM 10-07-2011
so the provider left a baby sleeping face down on an adult bed? sounds like she has a lot of explaining to do. very very sorry for this family.
jen 01:50 PM 10-09-2011
I'm guessing that she put him down on his back and he rolled over...not that he should have been on an adult bed with bedding...
sharlan 02:13 PM 10-09-2011
I can't tell you how many times over the years I put my daughters on my bed to nap. Back in the old days, that was the norm.
youretooloud 03:55 PM 10-09-2011
I'll be brutally honest here...

I get tired of all infant deaths being blamed on SIDS. This should be called "baby was left lying face down on an adult bed death".

SIDS is way overused now, and I bet not even half of those are actually SIDS.

I had a relative (that I'd never met) who's infant died of SIDS. BUT, in reality, she was propped in her crib between two adult pillows so she'd sleep on her side, and she had a pacifier in her face that was being held in place by a dishrag. That should have been called "poor judgement".

I feel awful for those parents...and, I feel awful for the provider, because I know darn well she never meant to hurt anybody. But, just because the baby sleeps better that way, doesn't make it OK. Especially at five months! A five month old could easily wriggle off the bed.

I DO learn a lot from these posts. I think it's vital that we read/see these things. I know I get a "it could never happen to me" attitude sometimes, and I don't ever want to let my guard down. I don't ever want to be that provider in the news saying "I just left him for a minute".
nannyde 04:31 PM 10-09-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I'll be brutally honest here...

I get tired of all infant deaths being blamed on SIDS. This should be called "baby was left lying face down on an adult bed death".

SIDS is way overused now, and I bet not even half of those are actually SIDS.

I had a relative (that I'd never met) who's infant died of SIDS. BUT, in reality, she was propped in her crib between two adult pillows so she'd sleep on her side, and she had a pacifier in her face that was being held in place by a dishrag. That should have been called "poor judgement".

I feel awful for those parents...and, I feel awful for the provider, because I know darn well she never meant to hurt anybody. But, just because the baby sleeps better that way, doesn't make it OK. Especially at five months! A five month old could easily wriggle off the bed.

I DO learn a lot from these posts. I think it's vital that we read/see these things. I know I get a "it could never happen to me" attitude sometimes, and I don't ever want to let my guard down. I don't ever want to be that provider in the news saying "I just left him for a minute".
I just wrote a blog about this: https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/what...-take-sids.htm

It wasn't ruled SIDS.

Sudden Unexplained Infant Death is different than SIDS.

I agree that SIDS is way overused. It's so important to differentiate between ones where the child died suddenly for no apparent reason and the deaths due to improper positioning.

One of my friends lost her first grandchild because the Mom co-slept and rolled over on the child. The Mom was trained by the grandmother NOT to co=sleep and she did it anyway. The Grandma was a teacher of safe sleep seminars for new parents. She lost the baby a few weeks after it was born because she WOULD NOT LISTEN and do the right thing. She wanted the baby to stop crying so she held her and slept with her in her bed.

I know another family who lost their daughter because the Mom fell asleep while holding the child and the child slipped and got caught in between cushions.

We need some cry training for parents and providers alike. We need to stop sending out this idea that the infants will suffer from crying when the adults are exhausted or at wits end. There's a time to allow a child to cry without trying to solve it by one to oneing them, putting them face down, sleeping with them, or leaving them in the piece of equipment or furniture that brings the highest liklihood for long sleep and the highest liklihood of little crying.

If they are crying they are alive. When a parent or provider is unable to manage the crying it is better to leave them to cry in a safe crib or pack n play then to put them in positional devices, motion devices, car seats, or the bed in the furthest away room.

There's WAY too much pressure on new parents and providers to intercede when babies are crying. There's way too much mis-information that says that all crying should be solved and that all crying is a PROBLEM that means the child's physically ill or needs emtional.. attachment support.

I'm NOT saying that we shouldn't respond to crying. Of course we should and we should do it to comfort the child and to figure out what it is they want or need. What we shouldn't do is allow the crying to persuade us to do WHATEVER it takes to get it to stop or whatever it takes to get as far away from it as possible.
athomemommy 12:47 PM 10-10-2011
Wow is all have to say. We just had family with a 19 month old die in her sleep. Unknown as of right now how. She was in her own bed though.
youretooloud 01:01 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by athomemommy:
Wow is all have to say. We just had family with a 19 month old die in her sleep. Unknown as of right now how. She was in her own bed though.
I had a friend who lost her three year old son during the night. After four months, they decided it was a space heater... it used up all the oxygen in the room. It was so heartbreaking.
Maddy'sMommy 06:49 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We need some cry training for parents and providers alike. We need to stop sending out this idea that the infants will suffer from crying when the adults are exhausted or at wits end. There's a time to allow a child to cry without trying to solve it by one to oneing them, putting them face down, sleeping with them, or leaving them in the piece of equipment or furniture that brings the highest liklihood for long sleep and the highest liklihood of little crying.
Agreed. I think I remember reading an article about a city here in Canada that was either having classes, or running an ad campaign for young parents about putting the baby in a safe place and letting them cry if you are overwhelmed. It was to help stop the cases of shaken baby that happen when people reach their wits end and have no training or skills on what to do to calm down.
Tags:article, infant - safety, infant death, iowa, naptime - requirements, naptime -infants, sids, suid
Reply Up