Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OMG DCF Visited Me Today!
seashell 02:09 PM 10-13-2009
I am still in shock! A neighbor complained that I was letting my daycare children play outside, unattended. DCF showed up on my door step today to investigate. They pushed their way into my house and started examining every inch of my house and the kids I was caring for. The claim was that I was allowing school age children to play outside in the parking area and in the road on a regular basis, with no supervision.

Ready for the kicker here? I don't have afterschool children! The kids they are talking about are neighborhood children, playing outside afterschool. I know the children they are talking about and yes, one of them is my own 11 year old daughter. She can't play outside with her friends why? The kids are all in the middle school, 4th grade and over. My daycare children are all under 3. There was one day a few weeks ago that one of the girls fell off her bike and scraped her leg. My daughter brought her inside and I washed a very small cut and put a band aide on it. I guess this neighbor saw her come in and assumed they all belonged with me.

I explained that my DC kids were all infants and toddlers and that I didn't have school age kids. I explained the kids in question lived in the neighborhood. They didn't believe me! They asked for the names and contact info of my parents. I gave it to them because I have nothing to hide. I told my parents about this when they picked up. One immediately asked for the agents number, she wanted to call and set them straight. She wants to sue them for talking to and evaluating her child without permission.

They claim that this is a pending investigation and they will be in contact. They also told me I could not care for the kids until I heard from. Ummm . . . I did nothing wrong here! They weren't my kids! Does this mean that they will be coming back to harass me some more? I am not stopping caring for the kids when I clearly know this is a misunderstand that will be resolved. What will happen if they find the kids here before the realize the mistake?

Advise is soooo appreciated!

I HATE NOSEY PEOPLE!
AmandasFCC 02:13 PM 10-13-2009
Oh my goodness! I don't have any advice but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear you're going through this! What an awful situation, I hope I never experience something like that. My suggestion would be to stick to your guns, continue being honest and the truth will come out soon enough. If it were me though, I would probably just watch the number of children permitted for an unlicensed person until things are resolved. I dunno how you would sort that out, but it's not worth completely losing your license over a misunderstanding, you know? Good luck, I hope things work out.
Former Teacher 02:54 PM 10-13-2009
Oh Seashell, I am SO sorry! I, too, don't have any advice. However I am happy to hear that at least you have one of the parents backing you up.

GRRR! I HATE state licensing with a passion! I have NO respect for them whatsoever! When I worked at my former center, we did a yearly Trike-A-Thon benefit to raise money for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. We have done this EVERY single year for the past who knows how long. We had a half moon driveway and so 2 adults would be on each end and 1 adult would be in the middle. Many parents/grandparents always helped us. We had cones to help block the kids in. The adults had whistles and the children ALWAYS listened to our commands. Our center is located on a residential street and it used to be an old house.

About 3 years ago, some fool (turned out to be a neighbor as our state lady told us), reported us saying that we were letting the children right their bikes recklessly in the street.

We had to provide documents to show we were doing this for St. Jude's and the parents who volunteered that day had to write statements and etc etc..just a bunch of baloney.

Yet, when there is an abuse case, sometimes it takes weeks if not months to figure it out!

Long story short, once again I am so sorry Seashell. Please stick to your guns and keep us posted.
Unregistered 04:32 PM 10-13-2009
See if you can get a statement from the parents of the girl whose leg you bandaged, and maybe just to cover your butt, a statement from all of the parents whose children play outside with your daughter that you can.

I know if you're licensed your kids aren't supposed play outside by themselves, but I don't know what business it is of the states if you're not licensed.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:27 PM 10-13-2009
That is just horrible...I know how you feel about nosey people...I was turned in when I was in the process of getting my license for being over my numbers for unlicensed. My husband lost his good paying job and I was trying my hardest to get my license fast and yes, I was over my numbers but our family was struggling....what bothers me is I'm a great provider, great role model, and there are others out there harming kids and I had to be bothered...

anyway, I understand how you feel, that is just terrible that they don't belive you....like someone suggested, get a statement from that girls mother stating she does not attend your daycare.

I'm in NY and I just took my health and safety course over the summer and we can allow school age children to play outside unattended with written permission from the parents as long as we check up on them every 15 min.
judytrickett 04:02 AM 10-14-2009
What state are you in? Have you researched the laws there pertaining to operating pending investigation? I ask because it seems very unAmerican to assume someone's guilt and therefore punish them BEFORE an actual investigation is started let alone before a conclusion from that investigation is drawn. I'm thinking it's probably (at the very least) borderline against your civil rights.

I'm not American but I did live there quite a few years so I have an understanding of how things work in the U.S. Personally, I think they are bullying you because most people probably don't know their rights. I would be googling that issue pretty damn fast if I were you.

Oh, and can you define the acronym "DCF"? For me. I assume it is some sort of child welfare organization but what does it literally stand for?
seashell 05:18 AM 10-14-2009
All my kids are here today. Their parents will be calling DCF today and letting them know that I don't have afterschool kids. I am not licensed, so they cant tel me not to take the kids. I also talked to several of the neighbors last night who's kids play outside. Some didnt care to get involved, others will be calling to say that I am not their daycare provider. Im sure this will be done by the end of the day. Here's my question. Will it stay on record somewhere that I was investigated? That would make me so mad!
Tags:agency, attorney, child protective services, cps, dcf, dept, fine, inspection, investigation, notice, office, records, unlicensed, welfare
Reply Up